Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,296 members, 7,836,296 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 03:33 AM

US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained - Foreign Affairs (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained (39552 Views)

Donald Trump Statement On US Election 2020: “The Election Is Far From Over” / Joe Biden Wins US Presidential Election 2020 / US Presidential Election 2020 (Live Updates) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by LCling: 10:45am On Nov 10, 2020
This electoral college will solve ethnic tension and bigotry in Nigeria
Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by cooltola(m): 10:46am On Nov 10, 2020
Weitin concern naija with America matter? Naija matta strong pass America with the way work no dey, Boko dey show face any how. Too many pastors and imam, yet na thief plenty pass for office. Olopa and brutality be like ogi and akara. The way Buhari dey burrow , i know all of us go talk Chinese one way or the other.
Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by mide8989: 10:47am On Nov 10, 2020
Macpro:
op, since California has 55 electoral votes, why is she not considered a swing state?

A swing state is a state that can vote for any party (a state that is not any party's stronghold).
California is for Democrats.

In other news, join my telegram channel for daily basketball tips of 1.85-1.9 odds that is delivering very well. Today's game posted. We lost only twice in the last 13 days.

Check my signature.
Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by Shadowofashadow: 10:51am On Nov 10, 2020
omodaamola:
SMH! Mafo!!! grin grin grin

Our electoral college systems in Nigeria are;

Thugs

Boko Haram

Rigging

Meanwhile, I have free forex signals for you...chat up wink

Can I start forex trading with 10k, man is fvckin broke and I'm trying to survive
Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by Nobody: 10:53am On Nov 10, 2020
IamPatriotic:
The Electoral College is not human, but numbers. How could 55 people from California to vote for only one candidate, does it mean not none of them could have voted for the other person in the popular votes? Electoral College is no longer fashionable, the US should accept this fact and repeal it.
they are human beings called Electors. The party that win a state select the electors. For example in California, democrats will choose 55 people to vote for Biden on the 14th of December while Republicans will select 38 electors to vote for Trump in Texas. One of those electors can decide to vote against their party, although it is rare but it happened in 2016 if that happened, he would be called a "faithless elector"
Without electoral college, California, New York and Texas will 100% choose every single president in USA.
If we had electoral college here in Nigeria, the North wouldn't have been able to hold us hostage

1 Like

Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by Oketwin(m): 10:53am On Nov 10, 2020
Now trump is accusing democrats of manipulation jst as he was accused in d prev. Election now CNN dats like NTA are nt blowing hot wit expert analysis. i dont give a shit abt trump buh dat guy got some balls.
Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by demmymoney(m): 10:53am On Nov 10, 2020
TGE ELECTORAL COLLEGE SYSTEM WAS NEVER BE ABOLISHED!!!!!
Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by oyeb15: 10:53am On Nov 10, 2020
Trump might be d modern day President Grover Cleveland in d next 4years.
Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by achaemeka(m): 10:54am On Nov 10, 2020
Nairalanders Nairalanders,If you have been following my thread,you will notice I need help.What will solve my problem nor which some rich dude here give ashawo,or drink,pls help

I started blogging 2017,with free WordPress. In 2018 I bought a hosting plan and hired that scammer " Solomon Inyang Miller " https://www.nairaland.com/4544905/see-funny-birthday-photos-nigerian to do Seo service and write articles for me then, because I was a novice in those stuff then.
Though, he started the work but he did not finish it before he disappeared from the internet. Last year I lost my laptop to robbers,my hosting plan also expired, now I can write quality blog post and render Seo service .
But all I have now is just my old tecno y3 phone. My blog FB page has 294 like and followers, I have Some knownledge of Html5,css3,boostrap and js(JavaScript).
I need money to renew my hosting,buy a fairly laptop and buy internet data to continue my blogging career .

I have search for job to do to raise money, but no job.I am also a student in one of these federal universities under ASUU strike. Please nairalanders help me. nothing is too small.
Note:my blogpost were already,at first page of search engine but I was not making money because I did not really understand monetizaton then.

Early this year,I lost my father after many years of battling with sickness.I need a laptop,due to the kind of work I will use it for,budget is around 100k,for second hand.
The laptop will be used for three main things
1.Blogging,web designing and freelancing. 2.Cyber security and ethical hacking. 3.Gaming.(man must play small)
what I need in the laptop are 1.i5 core or i7,64 or 98 bit system 2.At least 3ghz processor speed. 3.screen of at least 14 inches 4.finger print sensor, 5.At least 4gb RAM 6.At least 100gb memory space. 7.good webcam.

And this phone,

Bontel R10 Key features and Specs

Name: Bontel R10
Model: R10
Operating System: Android 7.0
CPU: Quad-Core Processor
Dimension: 158*78.3*10.6MM
Display: 5.5inch touchscreen
Resolution: 1280*720
Camera: Back13 megapixels+Front 8megapixels
Memory: 1G+8G
Battery Capacity: 6000mA Battery

That is a total of 150k.100k laptop,25k for the bontel phone and 25 k for my blog hosting renewal,and buying of internet data.
I have knowlegde of html5,css3,boostrap,js(javascript) and partial knowledge of c#,using asp.net.I will learn more of c#.
I also how to tweak and edit cms like wordpress,wix and joomla etc.

All the job I applied for to raise this money,none got to me.Soon second round of convid19 lockdown go come and our school is still on strike.Pls people with good heart help.I applied more ten places but e nor dey reach my hand.

Mynd44,Seun
Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by carolineowood(m): 10:55am On Nov 10, 2020
Mike Tyson's highly anticipated return to the ring against fellow legend Roy Jones Jr. will be shown live in the UK exclusively. tyson vs jones
Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by mide8989: 10:55am On Nov 10, 2020
ThatFairGuy:

It's not possible following how each State was allocated the Collage.

Infact if it happens, Highest vote casted will determine

It can happen and if it does, then Congress will vote. Senate votes for the VP and the house Vote for the President
Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by Effizist(m): 10:59am On Nov 10, 2020
Wow..I never knew this before, Thanks for the analysis OP

The people that built America really had a high IQ
Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by dejonathan(f): 11:03am On Nov 10, 2020
Porpor:

Then the Parliaments would vote to decide. The Senate votes for the Vice President while the House votes for the President.
Thanks for the clarification
Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by omodaamola: 11:04am On Nov 10, 2020
Shadowofashadow:

Can I start forex trading with 10k, man is fvckin broke and I'm trying to survive

Smiles, 10k is too small but chat up...let's see how we can do for you wink
Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by Hollusilva28(m): 11:04am On Nov 10, 2020
Righteousness89 would be feeling like my food Don ready, another chance for his master Donald trump to win the election.

What that man/guy called Righteousness89 did yesterday was uncalled for, you based your comments on preachings but by diverting to political factor you got it wrong. You even told one guy to shut up, it now makes me wonder, it hard to find man of God.

USA last week election brought out the real you for us to see.

The end is near for the world , and stop putting your faith in a man that doesn't know you.

Biden or trump is not a world messiah, and I can't call them demons. My cousin told me that in the USA street " Church of Satan" is present and they are having their service like us do here. She told me she wonder how Nigeria portraying Biden has an anti-christ which is not true.

1 Like

Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by Nobody: 11:04am On Nov 10, 2020
hush15:
So what happens when you popular votes, electoral colleges and still lost the presidency. Any explanation on the possibility of that

You cannot win both and lose the presidency. You can like Trump in 2016, lose popular and win the electoral college. If there isnt a clear winner on the electoral college then house of reps state delegations vote. That is to say, one state one vote by state blocs at the house. Happened to President Jefferson back in the 19th century.

Electoral college and popular vote usually go hand in hand tho. Except u ignore large areas of the country in ur campaign and just get CA and NY. The electoral college is important because it gives states a stake in the national future. Avoid tyranny of the majority.

In early America, Virginia plantation interests were too powerful relative to say Vermont or Maine, which are much smaller states. So in order to avoid 'tyranny of the majority' they had to be given a sorta trump card to be able to at least secure some of their interest.

Essentially, it avoids the usual "I just campaign in Kano and Kaduna, then Lagos and maybe Rivers and then to hell with others" mindset. Knowing that a tiny state can have input that could tip the balance against u makes u actually broaden ur scope.

Again tyranny of the majority is too far often mistaken for democracy. That's why most of the genocides and atrocities in our world are done by nations with largely homogenous populations harboring isolated minorities.

1 Like

Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 11:05am On Nov 10, 2020
hush15:
So what happens when you popular votes, electoral colleges and still lost the presidency. Any explanation on the possibility of that
That is not possible.
Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by kingxsamz(m): 11:05am On Nov 10, 2020
Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by femi4: 11:11am On Nov 10, 2020
dejonathan:
If na 269 each nko?
If no candidate has reached 270 Electoral Votes, then the House and Senate(Congress) take over and elect the President
Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by iko123: 11:11am On Nov 10, 2020
Daughter of Jezebel cannot be in the White House.

Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by dejonathan(f): 11:14am On Nov 10, 2020
femi4:
If no candidate has reached 270 Electoral Votes, then the House and Senate(Congress) take over and elect the President
Thanks for the clarification
Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by femi4: 11:14am On Nov 10, 2020
oluwaseyi0:

It's is the most democratic, big populated states get more electoral votes than smaller ones but still make the smaller states to matter in the schemes of things, smaller colonies/state won't feel they are not part, hence want to separate like biafra

President Buhari referring to a whole eastern region as 5% and highly inconsequential will not have happen if we use electoral college, everyone will simply be respected

Also the over-breeding of North simply for political purpose without plan to take care of what they born will not have been happening
Its not Democratic, Hilary had the popular votes but lost due to electoral college votes.

Democracy is power to the people not electoral votes.

Imagine a natural disaster/war reducing the population or causing emigration in one of the key States, such state will still hold on to her massive electoral votes
Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by kingxsamz(m): 11:16am On Nov 10, 2020
iko123:
Daughter of Jezebel cannot be in the White House.

All these religious bigots sef.

1 Like

Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by KayCee92(m): 11:27am On Nov 10, 2020
Just using my imagination here. What if we have electoral college here in Nigeria. Imagine the number of people in that 538 college that would be blackmailed, killed, bribed etc grin grin. In summary, e go work here but with plenty kleg. We will then have to call it by another name as it will be a big variation of what is or should be grin grin. I love the comedy inharent in the Nigerian system sometimes. grin
Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by tartar9(m): 11:27am On Nov 10, 2020
Republicans won't be winning elections if actual democracy is in place
Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by jaybee3(m): 11:31am On Nov 10, 2020
dallyemmy:
Can we replicate electoral colleges in Nigeria? So that states that have more people would not always determine the outcome of the presidential election. I thought Nigeria copied American electoral process. Why was the electoral colleges exempted from ours?

Ours is also similar in the sense that the winner has to achieve at least 25% of votes cast in 2/3 of 36 states. So you can't just rely on 100% votes from the north to become winner

The proportional representation of our representatives with respect to population is a direct comparison to the electoral college
Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by Tinyemeka(m): 11:33am On Nov 10, 2020
hush15:

Lose the presidency how?
Any example?
Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by banmee(m): 11:34am On Nov 10, 2020
IamPatriotic:
The Electoral College is not human, but numbers. How could 55 people vote for only one candidate, does it mean not none of them could have voted for the other person in the popular votes? Electoral College is no longer fashionable, the US should accept this fact and repeal it.

Fashionable he said. Repeal it he says. Fashionable. He is talking like this is another season of big brother africa. Lol...Good thing we don't have to listen to him. Meanwhile in Nigeria, he has never seen nor witnessed a free and fair election in his entire life but he is an expert on the elections of another country. OK.

1 Like

Re: US Election 2020: The Electoral College System Explained by Carlyscales: 11:39am On Nov 10, 2020
Austinbiggy:
I still prefer Donald Trump than Joe Biden
you are not alone naa,
there are about of you in America

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Putin Signals Acceptance Of Finland, Sweden Joining NATO / Indian Security Guard Shoots Customer Who Tried To Enter Bank Without Face Mask / NATO Rejects Ukraine's No-fly Zone Request

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 43
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.