Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,274 members, 7,829,613 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 09:35 AM

Presidential Debate on NN24 - Politics (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Debate on NN24 (33127 Views)

Poll: Presidential Debate: Who Impressed You Most?

GEJ: 10% (57 votes)
Ribadu: 11% (62 votes)
Buhari: 35% (199 votes)
Shekarau: 42% (238 votes)
This poll has ended

NN24, Nigeria's News Channel Folds Up / Prof Wole Soyinka's Comment After Nn24 Presidential Debate <<FALSE>> / Nn24 News Presidential Debate In Abuja - Live Images (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by beejaay: 9:30pm On Mar 18, 2011
fried-rice:

based on his performance so far in his state. He spoke so well, was eloquent, had a clear cut plan, and was soooooo convincing
JAMES IBORI had this traits too., that's the problem.
if this is your answer, im sorry you dont have slightest idea of what you are saying. you dont just come here and rant without looking at the facts.go back to the background and research the man, u can come back here after that to talk about the man cos its clearly obvious that u are uninformed. sorry mate
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by abopal: 9:32pm On Mar 18, 2011
So let B Buhari clear up this mess. He might not have d anwers for many issues, his ministers will worry about those
LET HIM CLEAR UP THIS MESS.
IN GHANA, ONE MAN CLEARED THE MESS
IN THE BIBLE, DAVID FOUGHT FOR SOLOMON TO PROSPER

LET BUHARI CLEAN UP THIS MESS.
THANK GOD FOR MISNISTERS WHO WILL BE TECHNOCRATS
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by ekubear1: 9:32pm On Mar 18, 2011
Here is the US gov't assessment of Shek:

11. (C) Kano State Governor Ibrahim Shekerau: ANPP Governor; leads most populous state in the north; helped stop PDP from stealing state election in 2003 and 2007; of late, Shekerau has been a disappointment as he has done little for his state; his popularity also has tanked since he fell out with former presidential candidate Buhari.
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5683895-146/wikileaks_cable_us_view_of_nigerias.csp

I think we all know what it means when a state with huge federal government allocations like Kano sees no progress  grin grin grin

Shek speaks well and is clearly intelligent, but it appears that he is corrupt.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by SweetT1: 9:32pm On Mar 18, 2011
If GEJ is alive and did not show up for this debate, then the man is truly an Idi ot!
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by manuch(m): 9:33pm On Mar 18, 2011
Buhari is a Born loser

he forced his way to power and was toppled within months . He then went on to contest and lost two elections . 2011 will make it a hat trick . grin grin grin
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Tunsbobo(m): 9:33pm On Mar 18, 2011
Ribadu tried, buhari was totally out of point in giving answers to very important and decisive questions, above all, shekarau was spot on, and he was d best man tonight, if u ask me!
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by abopal: 9:33pm On Mar 18, 2011
So let this Buhari clear up this mess we are in. He might not have d anwers for many issues, his ministers will worry about those

Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by denitro(m): 9:34pm On Mar 18, 2011
BUHARI'S CLOSING STATEMENT
Fellow Nigerians, you need a leadership that you can trust, that will lead this country for the next 4 years.
We know the situation we are in now, you know the situation we are headin to if we follow the advise
President Obama said when he visited Ghana. He said that developing countries need strong institutions
rather than strong personalities.
In Nigeria we need both, we need strong people to resuscitate the institutions and make them strong
APPLAUSE, APPLAUSE, APPLAUSE
Thank you very much,
(MODERATOR: General  Buhari you have got a min left do you want to use it.
BUHARI(contd)
What I am saying is that this multi party democracy has given Nigerians the power to choose their
leadership and change them at will. So it is up to them to have the courage to choose people
and ensure that their votes count.
When we say people should go and register, which we hope they have, they should go and vote.
And make sure that their votes count. Then they give the opportunity for whatever leadership
they have chosen to perform or not to perform,
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by abopal: 9:35pm On Mar 18, 2011
So let this Buhari clear up this mess we are in. He might not have d anwers for many issues, his ministers will worry about those

Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by fstranger3(m): 9:35pm On Mar 18, 2011
WHo cares what the US government thinks

They dont have a good understanding of whats on ground.

Let them shove their assessment of Shekerau. They are prolly confusing Kwakwanso with Shekerau,
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by mithel(m): 9:35pm On Mar 18, 2011
this gej ppl sha,hw did he get one vote wit his absence??
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by jason123: 9:36pm On Mar 18, 2011
mithel:

grin grin grin

I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE WHO NOTICED! grin cheesy wink
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by shogbenga: 9:37pm On Mar 18, 2011
As far as i am concerned, if i am to judge using what i saw today, then we are not going to witness any change in the polity in the next 4 years.apart from shekarau that made efforts to articulate his points, buhari and ribadu had no ideas on the solutions bedevilling the nation. in fact, i was disappointed because it was a waste of time listening to them,While buhari was using 'elder's wisdom' to answer the questions without any clue, ribadu was employing 'ogboju' to address the issues, we cant have these sets of people as our president. u must be sure of the solutions to the problems .unfortunately shekarau does not have a good platform to make his aspiration possible
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by 9ijaMan: 9:38pm On Mar 18, 2011
eku_bear:

Here is the US gov't assessment of Shek:
http://234next.com/csp/cms/sites/Next/Home/5683895-146/wikileaks_cable_us_view_of_nigerias.csp

I think we all know what it means when a state with huge federal government allocations like Kano sees no progress  grin grin grin

Shek speaks well and is clearly intelligent, but it appears that he is corrupt.

I'm a fan of Buhari and will definitely still support him as he's the one out of the 3 with the best chance of unseating GEJ. That being said, Shekarau is not as corrupt as the US paints him. Those who were in Kano before he came into power are giving him a pass mark for performance with the current development witnessed in the state. Could he have done better? Yes.
Shekarau is indeed a saint when compared to most of the governors down south.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by naijangel7(f): 9:38pm On Mar 18, 2011
malali:

AISHA 2
JARUS

PUT UP THE POLLS LET NIGERIANS EXPRESS THE LOVE FOR THE GREATEST GENERAL
THE GENERAL OF THE MASSES
THE MOST RELIABLE GENERAL
THE MAN WHOSE WORD YOU CAN TAKE TO THE BANK
THE MAN WHO WILL SAY THE TRUTH AT THE EXPENSE OF HIS LIVELIHOOD
THE MAN RESPECTED BY OTHER GENERALS
THE FATHER OF ANTI-CORRUPTION IN NIGERIA

Nigerians with our stone-age mentality praise singing.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by demmy(m): 9:38pm On Mar 18, 2011
Poor performance by Buhari. Incoherent. Ignorant of the issues. Horrible command of English

Disappointing performance by Ribadu. Inarticulate and unable to gather his thought into a coherent whole.

Shekarau was coherent without really saying much. A real politician. Also good command of English.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by ekubear1: 9:39pm On Mar 18, 2011
fstranger3:

WHo cares what the US government thinks

They dont have a good understanding of whats on ground.

Let them shove their assessment of Shekerau. They are prolly confusing Kwakwanso with Shekerau,

They understand what is on the ground better than you, me, or anyone else on this forum. They have access to the Shell plants in the Nigerian government, and direct access to politicians.

You and I do not.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by blackgucci(m): 9:40pm On Mar 18, 2011
say no to lucky cowardice, [size=20pt]bb all the way[/size]
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by naijangel7(f): 9:40pm On Mar 18, 2011
And by the way, Buhari and Ribadu need to hire translators. I could not make up my mind whether it was Hausa, Fulfulde or English they were speaking.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by malali: 9:40pm On Mar 18, 2011
naijangel7:

Nigerians with our stone-age mentality praise singing.

okay GEJ the best president ever
the bravest presdient
the presdent that can go for any debate without without fear

this is praise singing

what i said initially were facts smileysmileysmiley

sai buhari
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by ekubear1: 9:40pm On Mar 18, 2011
9ijaMan:

I'm a fan of Buhari and will definitely still support him as he's the one out of the 3 with the best chance of unseating GEJ. That being said, Shekarau is not as corrupt as the US paints him. Those who were in Kano before he came into power are giving him a pass mark for performance with the current development witnessed in the state. Could he have done better? Yes.
Shekarau is indeed a saint when compared to most of the governors down south.

I'll look more deeply into it. But this is not the first time I've heard of his corruption. I'll see if I can find the article I read some time ago.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by 9ijaMan: 9:42pm On Mar 18, 2011
eku_bear:

They understand what is on the ground better than you, me, or anyone else on this forum. They have access to the Shell plants in the Nigerian government, and direct access to politicians.

You and I do not.
That's not entirely true. How many times has a US diplomat visited Kano state. Was an American in Kano b4 Shakarau came into power, and have the Americans been back there to assess the situation?
You must not forget the Polio and the Pfizer vaccine saga!
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by denitro(m): 9:42pm On Mar 18, 2011
QUESTION: . ,
Issue of Doctor's strike in lagos. Is it an issue of health for Nigerians ,  or an anomaly that ACN has a better plan for the Federation?
RIBADU (ANSWER)
It is an indication of democracy working, lagos state is a bad example for you to use cos it is the best performing state in the federation today.
I just visited a patient in a hospital in Ikeja and what I found there was amazing, incredible, i thought I was not in Nigeria.
Modern equipment that I saw there, the quality of the infrastructure was world class, and I congratulated fashola when I saw him.
Issue of Industrial action is something you cannot avoid when you are in government. the ability to address it and come out with a solution
is what matters, i believe they are going to solve their own problems,
APPLAUSE
the issue of health which I believe Health is wealth. ACN will be the best team you can get. We will rehabilitate the whole health care sector.
We are going to setup  6 specialize hospital across the country. Reason: Any little thing that has to do with kidney, heart, cancer you have to go outside the country.
Across the 6 geo political zonewe will create special hospitals.

HOW WILL YOU TACKLE CORRUPTION WITHOUT CREATING SOCIAL UNREST IN THE COUNTRY
BUHARI - (ANSWER)
The bottom line of Nigerian politics is indiscipline and corruption, and from the constitution itself and down to all the financial
regulations. All the rules and regulations are there, it is a matter of implementation. I think the problem is that anybody will
take Nigerians for granted at their own risk.
You can't be head of a department, a chief executive and steal public funds and think you can control those below you.
Nigerians will not agree,
APPLAUSE
I promise to be accountable to Nigerians and I will make sure all all those people you voted from councillor to
the office of the president will be accountable.
And the public treasury is a trust and nobody can tamper with it and get away with it.

RIBADU - (ANSWER)
I will take it from what my respected general has just said. Sir, Nigerians are not corrupt. Nigerians are not
indisciplined. that is where we make the mistake. The system and the protocols make Nigerians corrupt.
(shouts from guest - No, No, No, No, No)

Moderator: Excuse me, please can we please respect the people in the podium,
We are here to have a conversation, hopefully we will enlighten ourselves.
I must insist on a little silence or I will give him more time

SILENCE

RIBADU (Cont)
The same Nigerians we had in the 50s, 60s are the same Nigerians we have today. Nothing has changed
we do not have any other set of people. We are the Nigerians and we are fundamentally good people.
There is nothing wrong with us. Somewhere along the line we got it wrong as a result
of poor, incompetent mismanagement of those people in charge of our affair.
They are the ones who caused this problem.
If we continue to believe that, our people are indisciplined, our people are corrupt,
It is like saying when you have a shoe that is biting your leg, you must take the foot off.
(MODERATOR: I am afraid you have to stop, )
RIBADU continues,
(MODERATOR: Please Ribadu, you have to stop, you will get a chance in your closing statement.
RIBADU STOPS.

BUHARI'S CLOSING STATEMENT
Fellow Nigerians, you need a leadership that you can trust, that will lead this country for the next 4 years.
We know the situation we are in now, you know the situation we are headin to if we follow the advise
President Obama said when he visited Ghana. He said that developing countries need strong institutions
rather than strong personalities.
In Nigeria we need both, we need strong people to resuscitate the institutions and make them strong
Thank you very much,
(MODERATOR: General  Buhari you have got a min left do you want to use it.
BUHARI(contd)
What I am saying is that this multi party democracy has given Nigerians the power to choose their
leadership and change them at will. So it is up to them to have the courage to choose people
and ensure that their votes count.
When we say people should go and register, which we hope they have, they should go and vote.
And make sure that their votes count. Then they give the opportunity for whatever leadership
they have chosen to perform or not to perform,
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by jmaine: 9:43pm On Mar 18, 2011
mithel:

The same way am thinking why Buhari is topping the poll when any lay man could see how Shekarau dusted all . it clearly shows the sentiments attached while voting in Nigeria. we don't vote for perceived progressive ideologies but blindly for the man

And for the GEJ vote despite while absent , maybe it was a vote for tactful withdrawal from getting lynched  tongue and embarrassed by the other contestant .
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by BetaThings: 9:43pm On Mar 18, 2011
manuch:

Buhari is a Born loser

he forced his way to power and was toppled within months . He then went on to contest and lost two elections . 2011 will make it a hat trick . grin grin grin
Persistence pays. Check Lincoln's record
GEJ even did WAEC twice
http://www.cybernation.com/lincoln/persistence.php

GEJ (the henpecked) debates with Dbanj and runs from his opponents
Shameful, maybe Patience forbade him from showing face
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by meine: 9:46pm On Mar 18, 2011
My Unbiased Analysis

Shekarau== Brilliant and articulate speaker, straight to the point on major issues. But i don't know his antecedents on a larger platform but definitely a good product from the North. 70%

Buhari=== Very humble and brief speaker, not arrogant, didnt attack any other speaker like ribadu and kept to time. Although he seems to lack depth in the understanding of current problems facing Nigeria and how to tackle them Yet he seems balanced, a trusted and capable hand. He can make do with capable hands like Obasanjo did. i will give him.  55%

Ribadu=== He almost won the debate until he started attacking what other Speakers said and kept harassing the audience for trying to correct him when he said Nigerians are not corrupt. Dude probably thinks he is still in Efcc. He is somehow naive and jumpy like one John McCain from the USA. Nigeria is in trouble if you put such a man in care of a Nuclear weapon because he will press the button in haste before any fact finding grin . I will still give him 50% for showing up.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by EzeUche2(m): 9:47pm On Mar 18, 2011
The people who voted for Buhari and Ribadu are liars.

I am a GEJ supporter and even I am unbiased when I say Shekarau was the clear winner.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by BetaThings: 9:47pm On Mar 18, 2011
demmy:

Poor performance by Buhari. Incoherent. Ignorant of the issues. Horrible command of English

Disappointing performance by Ribadu. Inarticulate and unable to gather his thought into a coherent whole.

Shekarau was coherent without really saying much. A real politician. Also good command of English.
Are you going to vote for Shekarau or are you trying to decapitate GEJ's strongest opponents?
Anyway what is GEJ's performance when the question is not leaked? - no show
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Nobody: 9:48pm On Mar 18, 2011
shekerau is more outspoken, but we know Buhari is not really a good orator, he's more of an action man. I give it to BUHARI
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by ekubear1: 9:48pm On Mar 18, 2011
@9ijaMan: Like I said, I'll dig deeper.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by 9ijaMan: 9:48pm On Mar 18, 2011
eku_bear:

I'll look more deeply into it. But this is not the first time I've heard of his corruption. I'll see if I can find the article I read some time ago.
You should know that you will almost certainly find one article or the other claiming that a politician is corrupt. The media and journalism in Nigeria is no longer about reporting the truth but doing the bid of the money bag who pays the highest and/or dancing to the gallery. The best way to judge Shekarau is to assess what he met on ground and what he'll leave behind. All news paper articles can be sponsored by his detractors. You must not forget that some articles to date are still claiming Buharis is a corrupt man when every sane Nigerian knows the man is as upright as they come.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by naijangel7(f): 9:49pm On Mar 18, 2011
malali:

okay GEJ the best president ever
the bravest presdient
the presdent that can go for any debate without without fear

this is praise singing

My dear Malali, this is even worse. That i don't support Buhari doesn't mean that i'm a GEJ supporter. Am i the only one who thinks after this debate that Nigeria is in VERY hot soup? The Top Four are a HUGE disappointment.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (28) (Reply)

Peter Obi Visits Nigerians Injured In South Africa's Xenophobic Attacks / Peter Obi Meets Olu Of Warri (photos) / Nnamdi Kanu And His Crew Don't Represent The Igbos - Igbo Broadcaster

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 67
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.