Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,490 members, 7,830,466 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:52 PM

Presidential Debate on NN24 - Politics (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Presidential Debate on NN24 (33136 Views)

Poll: Presidential Debate: Who Impressed You Most?

GEJ: 10% (57 votes)
Ribadu: 11% (62 votes)
Buhari: 35% (199 votes)
Shekarau: 42% (238 votes)
This poll has ended

NN24, Nigeria's News Channel Folds Up / Prof Wole Soyinka's Comment After Nn24 Presidential Debate <<FALSE>> / Nn24 News Presidential Debate In Abuja - Live Images (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (28) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Genbuhari3: 9:14pm On Mar 18, 2011
I think we should fine it courageous for Buhari to even show face knowing fully well the Shekarau he personally endorsed in 2003 to be governor of Kano state is an eloquent speaker
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by malali: 9:14pm On Mar 18, 2011
eku_bear:

It is not an issue of articulate. He cannot think on his feet or answer questions. He didn't answer Jos or many other questions. He didn't answer healthcare. He kept answering unrelated questions, or talking about something completely different.

Look, I'm not saying I'll reject him. Being incorrigible and upright is important. He doesn't have to do much thinking, I guess the guys he selects to work for him will do it for him  grin

But he is not very impressive intellectually. That is a bit unfortunate.

PLEASE EKU BEAR, GEJ HAS A pHD, AND HE WAS REPORTEDLY HIDING IN ASO ROCK
WE DONT NEED INTELLECTUALS, WE NEED ANTI CORRUPTION, EVEN IF IT COMES IN THE FORM OF A DONKEY!!

GENERAL BUHARI YOU HAVE EARNED OUR RESPECT TODAY AS USUAL
SAI BUHARI 2011
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Kobojunkie: 9:14pm On Mar 18, 2011
beejaay:

i dissagree with u KB.shekarau came in in 2003, yaradua started in 1999. Rabiu kwankwaso was the then gov while shekarau was still a secondary principal and later a permanent secretary to the then governor.the man came in and stabilize kano. he by far tried more than yaradua but because he belongs to the minority party while yaradua belong to the majority.you need to go back and ask the people on ground about this man. he has passion for the people.
Yes, yar adua came in 1999 but Fashola came in in 2007, and before he(fashola) showed up, majority of the ‘performing’ were not awfully better than Yar adua( regardless of party affiliation).  After Fashola came in, the rules sort of changed.
I do know people on ground (some family and friends down in Kano) and they do not all seem to agree with you. Also, I do admit I may have been unfair labeling him a sharia governor. I mean it was introduced before he came in, but I just think the governor supports it is why it is still in place.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by ekubear1: 9:15pm On Mar 18, 2011
Kilode?!:

It's high time we introduced Public speaking, communication and speech as cumpulsory courses in our Sec Schools and Universities undecided

Or we just let our people speak their local languages and hire translators. . .

You are blaming local language?!?!?!

That is a VERY weak excuse.

If I ask you, "How would you resolve the Jos crisis?", then you think Buhari would have answered the question better in Hausa or Fulani?

He simply has no clue what the answer is! He went on a tangent about nomads grazing. That is NOT the question being asked.

So he'd have answered the question properly if we'd asked it in Hausa  
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by jason123: 9:15pm On Mar 18, 2011
malali:

PLEASE EKU BEAR, GEJ HAS A pHD, AND HE WAS REPORTEDLY HIDING IN ASO ROCK
WE DONT NEED INTELLECTUALS, WE NEED ANTI CORRUPTION, EVEN IF IT COMES IN THE FORM OF A DONKEY!!

GENERAL BUHARI YOU HAVE EARNED OUR RESPECT TODAY AS USUAL
SAI BUHARI 2011

You are very right.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by overhyped: 9:16pm On Mar 18, 2011
@ Eku bear, GBM answered the question on health care very well. In fact, that is the question he answered very well in the entire debate apart from his opening remarks! Watch that part again!
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by beejaay: 9:16pm On Mar 18, 2011
fried-rice:

Shekarau is an eloquent criminal!
you are saying this based on what u need to give us fact and not hear say. the primary aim of this debate is to see who will convince us for our vote and i think shakarau won the day.Buhari clearly lost the debate. he has no clue of what he is going to do there other than to fight corrupt people which is not our only problem, he will definately be pushed around like he was during his early regime.SHEKARAU ALL THE WAY
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by dare2think: 9:16pm On Mar 18, 2011
@everybody,

Pls lets imagine all these guys in power, and u get a green card to live in America. Which of these guys government would you risk staying in Nigeria for. Pls no sentiments and be really honest.

Personally, i would stay in a buhari government. Though the guy did not talk much but you must admit, pdp looters would be really shiiiting their pants at the prospects of this guy winning. He sounds like someone that would have obasanjo declaring his wealth.

Sheakarua is very articulate but can he handle the godfathers of politics?
Ribadu- empty barrell makes the most noise.
buhari- determined man with a geniune intent to fight corruption.

my vote for buhari- if it were to be based on the debate.
ps- if anybody vote for Gej- You are officially the dumbest person in your family. and if your family votes for him- God help your generation.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Kobojunkie: 9:16pm On Mar 18, 2011
Kilode?!:

It's high time we introduced Public speaking, communication and speech as cumpulsory courses in our Sec Schools and Universities undecided

Or we just let our people speak their local languages and hire translators. . .

lol . . . . I agree!
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by friedrice1: 9:17pm On Mar 18, 2011
Andre Uweh:

Yet again, Buhari fails to convince Nigerian's that he is the needed one.
it seems you watched the debate on a black and white TV without sound.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by apoti(m): 9:18pm On Mar 18, 2011
I'm sure Kokolet Jonathan will be thanking God he did not attend this debate, because the questions are not like that of the koko mansion  grin
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by ekubear1: 9:18pm On Mar 18, 2011
overhyped:

@ Eku bear, GBM answered the question on health care very well. In fact, that is the question he answered very well in the entire debate apart from his opening remarks! Watch that part again!

No, he did not! He said something about infrastructure, digging wells, stopping fake drugs from being imported.

Fake drugs is the biggest problem with the nigerian medical system ?!?!?!

Not lack of hospitals, poor pay (the strike in Lagos is a GREAT example of this), or a myriad of other issues  

At the top of his list for healthcare is fake drugs and boreholes  

That is just a moronic answer, man.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by jmaine: 9:19pm On Mar 18, 2011
Sweet T:

Does anybody know where Shekarau went to School?? I know he study Math but i don't think he schooled in Nigeria.

Just because he performed, well he is now a criminal . please he was the best by far. No hating please.

Genbuhari3:

[s]it is now very clear that we must go with Buhari[/s] to compliment the Northern support please. Ribadu is not the option as seen tonight.

the average Northern still loves Buhari. Shekarau even has no chance in Kano against Buhari

Say something else cos your hilarious just because he feels your are not disciplined so you need someone to whip you into submission

Shekarau all the way jare
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by kokogee: 9:19pm On Mar 18, 2011
Let's come to think about it; thou not so articulate at answering questions, Buhari demonstrated discipline and ability to keep to promise by not only present at the debate (despite his age and little ability to speak too much) but was there early (he keeps to time)
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by oladcity(m): 9:19pm On Mar 18, 2011
I think Shekarahu just leveraged on his experience in government. He is abreast of the governance and polity of Nigeria, but Buhari is my man any day.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Genbuhari3: 9:20pm On Mar 18, 2011
aisha2, jarus,

please a new poll to chose our president after this NN24 debate, and please remember to include shekarau, though my vote is for Buhari
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by malali: 9:20pm On Mar 18, 2011
NAIRALAND PLS SHOW THE POLLS
SOME GEJ'S RATS ARE GIVING US FAKE POLLS

GENERAL BUHARI IS THE ONE MILITARY MAN THAT I WILL GO TO BATTLE FOR
EVEN THOUGH I AM A CIVILIAN
WE NEED TO SUPPORT ANTI-CORRUPTION

THIS IS A MAN THAT COULD HAVE RETIRED STAYED AWAY AND LOOTED ENOUGH MONEY FOR HIS
GRANDCHILDREN

BUT HE STILL CHOOSES TO STAND BY THE MASSESS

WHERE IS OBJ??
WHERE IS IBB??
WHERE IS ABDUSSALAM??
DONT EVEN MENTION GEJ, EVEN WITH INCUMBENCY POWER HE COULDNT COME FOR ORDINARY DEBATE,LAME ,EFFEMINATE,WEAK PRESIDENT !!!!

BUHARI IS STILL THE ONLY NIGERIAN THAT THINKS THE STATUS QUO CAN BE CHANGED
INSTEAD OBJ WANTS TO START GODFATHERISM IN ASO ROCK, INSTALLING HALF DEAD YARADUA
AND REPLACING HIM WITH GEJ,

BUHARI YOU HAVE EARNED MY RESPECT
SAI BB2011
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Kilode1: 9:20pm On Mar 18, 2011
eku_bear:

It is not an issue of articulate. He cannot think on his feet or answer questions. He didn't answer Jos or many other questions. He didn't answer healthcare. He kept answering unrelated questions, or talking about something completely different.

Look, I'm not saying I'll reject him. Being incorrigible and upright is important. He doesn't have to do much thinking, I guess the guys he selects to work for him will do it for him  grin

But he is not very impressive intellectually. That is a bit unfortunate.

What did you expect? dude was a soldier. He went to a military school not a liberal art college or some proper 4 year university.

We need a leader that can choose the right people, command respect, exude confidence and authority and more importantly lead by example. I like ACN, but SW and Edo might be their limit in this election, I dislike PDP, so I might just have to Say Buhari.

These people need to work harder on that coalition thing though.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by PapaBrowne(m): 9:21pm On Mar 18, 2011
Shekarau-
Excellent, strong on issues,understands Governance and very coherent!!! Scored points on all issues.His power sector approach is private sector driven which is very impressive!!
Negatives- Couldn't find any really. He did a good job defending his Hisbah police even though I dont like them!!

Ribadu-  
Not Good, only point was scored on power and private sector participation but his answers were too bland. He was too brash in his responses and his grasp on issues are poor. His coherence is fair, but his delivery style is bad!! Acts like he is in a fight! The debate exposed his capacity to flout laid down procedure!! Still like him though!! He will make a good minister in any government!

Buhari
Buhari was the most disappointing!! Sometimes I had to feel so sorry for him!! He obviously doesn't understand the issues plaguing Nigeria. His had no answers on Education, Power ,the Niger Delta and the econpomy. Doesn't look like someone that has drawn up a plan yet .His coherence is soo poor! His answers don't make sense. And he is obviously not very intelligent and hasn't done a lot of reading!! I like him and respect his integrity, but that surely isn't enough for a country this complex!!

GEJ
I have only one word for him- Zero!!!
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by jason123: 9:21pm On Mar 18, 2011
If we do not stop corruption (or atleast curb it) no institution will develop. Corruption siphons all the money we make as a nation. For example, even if 2 billion is given to the education sector, it will not still work because our corrupt system and elites transfer the money to their private accounts.

UP BB!
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by denitro(m): 9:22pm On Mar 18, 2011
HOW WILL YOU TACKLE CORRUPTION WITHOUT CREATING SOCIAL UNREST IN THE COUNTRY
BUHARI - (ANSWER)
The bottom line of Nigerian politics is indiscipline and corruption, and from the constitution itself and down to all the financial
regulations. All the rules and regulations are there, it is a matter of implementation. I think the problem is that anybody will
take Nigerians for granted at their own risk.
You can't be head of a department, a chief executive and steal public funds and think you can control those below you.
Nigerians will not agree,
APPLAUSE
I promise to be accountable to Nigerians and I will make sure all all those people you voted from councillor to
the office of the president will be accountable.
And the public treasury is a trust and nobody can tamper with it and get away with it.
APPLAUSE, APPLAUSE, APPLAUSE

RIBADU - (ANSWER)
I will take it from what my respected general has just said. Sir, Nigerians are not corrupt. Nigerians are not
indisciplined. that is where we make the mistake. The system and the protocols make Nigerians corrupt.
(shouts from guest - No, No, No, No, No)

Moderator: Excuse me, please can we please respect the people in the podium,
We are here to have a conversation, hopefully we will enlighten ourselves.
I must insist on a little silence or I will give him more time

SILENCE

RIBADU (Cont)
The same Nigerians we had in the 50s, 60s are the same Nigerians we have today. Nothing has changed
we do not have any other set of people. We are the Nigerians and we are fundamentally good people.
There is nothing wrong with us. Somewhere along the line we got it wrong as a result
of poor, incompetent mismanagement of those people in charge of our affair.
APPLAUSE, APPLAUSE, APPLAUSE
They are the ones who caused this problem.
If we continue to believe that, our people are indisciplined, our people are corrupt,
It is like saying when you have a shoe that is biting your leg, you must take the foot off.
(MODERATOR: I am afraid you have to stop, )
RIBADU continues,
(MODERATOR: Please Ribadu, you have to stop, you will get a chance in your closing statement.
RIBADU STOPS.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by friedrice1: 9:23pm On Mar 18, 2011
beejaay:

you are saying this based on what u need to give us fact and not hear say. the primary aim of this debate is to see who will convince us for our vote and i think shakarau won the day.Buhari clearly lost the debate. he has no clue of what he is going to do there other than to fight corrupt people which is not our only problem, he will definately be pushed around like he was during his early regime.SHEKARAU ALL THE WAY
based on his performance so far in his state. He spoke so well, was eloquent, had a clear cut plan, and was soooooo convincing
JAMES IBORI had this traits too., that's the problem.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by malali: 9:23pm On Mar 18, 2011
eku_bear:

No, he did not! He said something about infrastructure, digging wells, stopping fake drugs from being imported.

Fake drugs is the biggest problem with the nigerian medical system ?!?!?!

Not lack of hospitals, poor pay (the strike in Lagos is a GREAT example of this), or a myriad of other issues  

At the top of his list for healthcare is fake drugs and boreholes  

That is just a moronic answer, man.

IT TAKES A slowpoke TO RECOGNISE A MORONIC ANSWER THAT EASILY,
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by abopal: 9:23pm On Mar 18, 2011
THE END OF A MATTER IS BETTER THAN THE BEGINNING THEREOF
BUHARI, YOU WON THE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
RIBADU IS STILL DEVELOPING,
SHEKARAU HAS SWEET MOUTH BUT HE IS CORRUPT AS WE ALL KNOW
BUHARI HAS RETAINED HIS POSITION IN THE HEARTS OF MILLIONS
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by samm(m): 9:24pm On Mar 18, 2011
Can someone start a Post Presidential Debate poll? Couldn't figure out how to.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by 9ijaMan: 9:24pm On Mar 18, 2011
jason123:

You are confused. I think you were watching another debate.

I suppose he turned his TV or PC upside down!
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by malali: 9:25pm On Mar 18, 2011
abopal:

THE END OF A MATTER IS BETTER THAN THE BEGINNING THEREOF
BUHARI, YOU WON THE DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!
RIBADU IS STILL DEVELOPING,
SHEKARAU HAS SWEET MOUTH BUT HE IS CORRUPT AS WE ALL KNOW
BUHARI HAS RETAINED HIS POSITION IN THE HEARTS OF MILLIONS

GOD BLESS YOU, GBAM
SOME PEOPLE IN THIS FORUM STILL HAVE INTEGRITY

SAI BUHARI
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by ekubear1: 9:25pm On Mar 18, 2011
PapaBrowne:

Shekarau-
Excellent, strong on issues,understands Governance and very coherent!!! Scored points on all issues.His power sector approach is private sector driven which is very impressive!!
Negatives- Couldn't find any really. He did a good job defending his Hisbah police even though I dont like them!!

Ribadu-  
Not Good, only point was scored on power and private sector participation but his answers were too bland. He was too brash in his responses and his grasp on issues are poor. His coherence is fair, but his delivery style is bad!! Acts like he is in a fight! The debate exposed his capacity to flout laid down procedure!! Still like him though!! He will make a good minister in any government!

Buhari
Buhari was the most disappointing!! Sometimes I had to feel so sorry for him!! He obviously doesn't understand the issues plaguing Nigeria. His had no answers on Education, Power ,the Niger Delta and the econpomy. Doesn't look like someone that has drawn up a plan yet .His coherence is soo poor! His answers don't make sense. And he is obviously not very intelligent and hasn't done a lot of reading!! I like him and respect his integrity, but that surely isn't enough for a country this complex!!

GEJ

Fine, we get it, you hate Buhari and are a GEJ shill  grin grin grin

No reasonable person could say that Buhari was the most disappointing here. Ribadu was.

Of course, since Buhari is the biggest threat to your beloved GEJ, you must pull him down  grin
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by beejaay: 9:25pm On Mar 18, 2011
Kobojunkie:

Yes, yar adua came in 1999 but Fashola came in in 2007, and before he(fashola) showed up, majority of the ‘performing’ were not awfully better than Yar adua( regardless of party affiliation).  After Fashola came in, the rules sort of changed.
I do know people on ground (some family and friends down in Kano) and they do not all seem to agree with you. Also, I do admit I may have been unfair labeling him a sharia governor. I mean it was introduced before he came in, but I just think the governor supports it is why it is still in place.

we need to look at the terrain that both of them are coming from. Fashola is governing the most reasonable minds in the country while Shekarau governed some of the most bakward people on earth.i think under the circumstances that the guy worked i give him 60% to 70%.you said u have people on ground, arfe they politicians? if they are, do they belong to the ruling party or opposition?u seriuosly needs to check if they are baised which i think they are.i sincerly think the guy is a better candidate amongst the three but i will have my final candidate after the BON organised debate
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by jmaine: 9:28pm On Mar 18, 2011
PapaBrowne:

Shekarau-

Ribadu-  

Buhari

GEJ

Correct  and ably seconded here.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by Kobojunkie: 9:29pm On Mar 18, 2011
beejaay:

we need to look at the terrain that both of them are coming from. Fashola is governing the most reasonable minds in the country while Shekarau governed some of the most bakward people on earth.i think under the circumstances that the guy worked i give him 60% to 70%.you said u have people on ground, arfe they politicians? if they are, do they belong to the ruling party or opposition?u seriuosly needs to check if they are baised which i think they are.i sincerly think the guy is a better candidate amongst the three but i will have my final candidate after the BON organised debate

Like I said  . . .  people have their ways of judging these things and I just don't agree with whatever terrain you go with this one. Fashola rarely consults his 'most reasonable' people before doing much of what he does. In the north, I know it is the case for a fact. So NO, I refuse to pretend that I should measure each governor by different standards.

The people I know in Kano are simple traders, students, workers etc. I don't see what party affiliation has to do with dissecting what is.

I was equally impressed by his ability to vocalize himself -- I will consider Fashola a C when it comes to speaking up in much the same. Shekarau definitely gets an A in that case but when I look at his record, I can't say the same.
Re: Presidential Debate on NN24 by malali: 9:29pm On Mar 18, 2011
AISHA 2
JARUS

PUT UP THE POLLS LET NIGERIANS EXPRESS THE LOVE FOR THE GREATEST GENERAL
THE GENERAL OF THE MASSES
THE MOST RELIABLE GENERAL
THE MAN WHOSE WORD YOU CAN TAKE TO THE BANK
THE MAN WHO WILL SAY THE TRUTH AT THE EXPENSE OF HIS LIVELIHOOD
THE MAN RESPECTED BY OTHER GENERALS
THE FATHER OF ANTI-CORRUPTION IN NIGERIA

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (28) (Reply)

CSP, Military Officers, Others Killed In Akwa Ibom State / Maqari: You Are Going To ‘Paradise’ Direct If Kidnappers, Bandits Kill You / Gov T.A Orji, Metuh Force Abia Returning Officer To Reverse Cancellation

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.