Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari (12441 Views)

We Will Restore Sanity To The System – Buhari Declares / Accept Democracy As Lifestyle, Not Government System, Buhari Tells Nigerians / Even With Quota System, Buhari Does Not Have A Primary School Certificate. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Demdem(m): 8:44pm On Mar 20, 2011
efisher:

Trust me, you guys don't want to go down this road with me. UN and UNESCO documents on education in Nigeria are in abundance on the internet. If you are educated enough to know how to use Google.com, you will be tired of reading. I will not do your search for you. But for the benefit of doubt, let me give you this small appetizer:

"Education has been at the top of the priority lists of some previous Nigerian governments
yet the education system is still far from being ready for the challenges of the new
century. Nigeria is not the only country whose education system is unprepared. A closer
examination of many systems, especially in a developing context, indicate that most of
the educational systems in developing countries are not yet ready to prepare students for
the contemporary global world"

Culled from: NIGERIA EDUCATION SECTOR ANALYSIS: AN ANALYTICAL SYNTHESIS OF PERFOMANCE AND MAIN ISSUES  by Teboho Moja
Visiting Professor of Higher Education, New York University, Department of Administration, Leadership and Technology, New York, NY.

THIS DOCUMENT WAS PRODUCED FOR THE WORLD BANK IN JANUARY 2000

Link: http://siteresources.worldbank.org/NIGERIAEXTN/Resources/ed_sec_analysis.pdf

Akainzo, the answers to all your questions are here. Have a nice time reading. grin grin grin

More for your delight:
http://www.krepublishers.com/02-Journals/JSS/JSS-14-0-000-000-2007-Web/JSS-14-1-000-000-2007-Abst-Text/JSS-14-1-081-086-2007-541-Odia-L-O/JSS-14-1-081-086-2007-541-Odia-L-O-Tt.pdf

hey, no one else is asking you for these except me and so kindly be courteous here. Still struggling to open that site but will be patient to view it. However, im only interested in the solutions proffered by these agencies hope this will be captured there?
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 8:46pm On Mar 20, 2011
chamber2:

let me repeat this question to prove to you what a good system does.The labour market/employers of labour now want fresh graduates between 20-24 yrs,how is the Nigerian educational system responding to that? An average Nigerian graduate is b/w 25-28 yrs,that is why you see people lying about their age to get employment. A good system should cover this loophole.This not an issue of funding alone.If someone has headache,it could be as a result of fever or other ailments.If you leave the fever to cure headache the ailment will only subside but will resurface after a while.lets tackle the issue from the root.

Where do you have me stating it is simply an issue of funding? I mentioned that the GOVERNMENT DOES NOT EVEN FUND RESEARCH IN PUBLIC SCHOOLS MUCH? That does not translate the gibberish you have above.

There is no such thing as a SYSTEM that covers all loopholes ; not even out here in the west will you find such a system.  I schooled in Nigeria  -- back when the teachers were better trained, and certified. I was there back when an IT right before going out into the job market was next to required. I was there when, your final exams really impacted your career. I was there when JAMB and WAEC really meant a lot to you. It is the same system . . . only now in the hands of negligent management, and filled with less qualified, and less passionate people. It is the same system!
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by efisher(m): 8:52pm On Mar 20, 2011
I understand this election may have covered some people's eyes, ears, noses and maybe brains. So don't worry, I will resurrect this thread at the right time. When there is no election fever. But before then, I will recommend that we should all go research and learn the meaning of EDUCATION SYSTEM. Then we can argue objectively. (If there will be any need to argue the obvious afterwards)
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 8:54pm On Mar 20, 2011
^^ Stop trying to pretend those who do not see this as you do are the ones blinded by the elections. Go to the archives to check the many threads that already exist on this issue to learn that PEOPLE have on most part here not bought the argument that the system needs to be changed.

This is a piece from the PDF file you posted earlier
The entire education system would benefit from coherent national policy development
rather than piecemeal reforms. The revision of educational policies is being considered as
a long-term goal, due to other pressing needs. The discussion of new policies would
benefit from careful attention to the recommendations made and adopted at international
meetings hosted by UNESCO and other donors for the various sectors of education. New
policies have to address the needs of a new democracy, its role in the new global order,
while reflecting the realities of Nigeria’s economy.

Universal primary education has been a stated priority of every Nigerian government
since its introduction in the seventies. The actual commitment of the different
governments to the scheme, however, has varied substantially. The economic problems
encountered have also contributed to the difficulties experienced in its implementation.
Successful implementation will depend on the availability of adequate resources, the
sharing of responsibility amongst different levels of government, greater community and

student participation. In recognition of the need for greater participation of the
stakeholders in the implementation of the scheme, the previous government passed
legislation that spells out the responsibilities of different levels of government and those
of various stakeholders. Other initiatives included the re- instatement of the National
Primary Education Commission and other management structures from 1993. The
objective at that time was to improve the management of the education system. A number
of initiatives have also been taken as basic steps to promote increased access to education
since 1990.

. . .

The system of education at all levels has undergone rapid changes and growth within a
context of an unstable economy. The education sector continued to expand even though
there were substantial economic setbacks. The economic crisis has had a negative impact
on the education system and played a major role in the decline of the quality of education
offered. New policies have to address, inter alia, issues of equity, access, funding, quality
and management of the educational system.

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/NIGERIAEXTN/Resources/ed_sec_analysis.pdf

You posted it, spend time reading it!
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Demdem(m): 8:57pm On Mar 20, 2011
efisher,

abegii copy and paste the contents of this your site for me http://siteresources.worldbank.org/NIGERIAEXTN/Resources/ed_sec_analysis.pdf for my consumption. its simply not opening. grin

Thanks Kobo.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by kokogee: 9:02pm On Mar 20, 2011
",  teacher, student, content, and context are taken as forming a system of education." (Steiner, 1988, p. 107) Thus, the components or[b] subsystems of an education system are teacher, student, content and context, and affect relations pertain to how these components are connected.[/b]

Take a look at the bold, it is clear that education system has 4 components; how those components connects (which mainly is the work of gov) determines if the system is effective or not.

Our syllabus are reviewed from time to time which is why you hear about some of our Nigeria trained students(that struggle to have access to the material recommended by our syllabus) doing wonderfully well when they go outside Nigeria to further their studies. Our libraries are empty; we have like 300 students(sm standing, sm sittin) taking lectures in halls with no speaker, no light, no AC or fan; no more scholarship for brilliant students(they hustle to pay sch fees); lecturers are not well paid; researches are not funded(but there are ppl with one research topic or the other).

The truth is that Nigeria education system encourages research and discovery of new things that can improve the society, but the problem is that PDP ppl have diverted all the money meant to finance research and equip our libraries and laboratories to their personal purses, so education is dying.

Buhari is only saying that the system which is not working is not bcs the system is bad but bcs the system is not given what it needs to work; the problem is administrative and Buhari is offering Nigerians the kind of administration Nigeria system needs to work effectively.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 9:03pm On Mar 20, 2011

QUALITY

. . . .
The public perception is that the quality of education offered is low and that standards
have dropped. These perceptions are based on lack of adherence to acceptable
educational practice. Teacher qualifications are low. The learning environment does not
promote effective learning. Basic facilities, teaching and learning resources are generally
not available. Teacher-pupil ratios are high. General performance in examinations is poor
and the graduates have low levels of competencies in the work environment.

. . . .
Teacher Education

The National Commission for Colleges of Education (NCCE) has responsibility for
teacher education in Nigeria
. At present there are fifty-eight colleges, of which nineteen
are controlled and funded by the Federal Government, thirty-six by state governments,
and three are owned by private agencies.

The National Commission for Colleges of Education was established in 1990 to lay down
minimum standards for all programs of teacher education and accredit their certificates
and other academic awards after obtaining the prior approval of the minister. The
Commission was also given responsibility to approve guidelines setting out criteria for
accreditation of all Colleges of Education in Nigeria.

http://siteresources.worldbank.org/NIGERIAEXTN/Resources/ed_sec_analysis.pdf
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Akainzo(m): 9:04pm On Mar 20, 2011
chamber2:

let me repeat this question to prove to you what a good system does.The labour market/employers of labour now want fresh graduates between 20-24 yrs,how is the Nigerian educational system responding to that? An average Nigerian graduate is b/w 25-28 yrs,that is why you see people lying about their age to get employment. A good system should cover this loophole.This not an issue of funding alone.If someone has headache,it could be as a result of fever or other ailments.If you leave the fever to cure headache the ailment will only subside but will resurface after a while.lets tackle the issue from the root.

chamber2, only dullards (or those with some other family/extant reasons) have to graduate between the ages of 25 - 28. Please go and check the NYSC list and you'd be amazed at how young people are when they are graduating. It’s so easy to think because you did it at the age of 27, others you were saying "whats-Up' to are your mates. My friend, they are far younger than you thought.

For your Information, by the time I was 21, I was already receiving salary and that was after graduating from studying Computer Science at University of Lagos and completing my NYSC program. The 6-3-3-4 system would produce gradates at the ripe age of 21 giving that the entrance age is 5. But if you get to skip classes due to brilliance, you can do it 19/20. So my guy, the labour markets is focussed on the brilliant ones that can do it, not those that would do JAMB in 5 attempts or need 3 WAEC/NECO to get 5 credits.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 9:04pm On Mar 20, 2011
@Chamber2, the government does not currently provide sufficient funds for research in public schools, let alone for private schools, but there is evidence to show that the private schools are doing much better than there public counterparts. But since those managing the system are not there to enforce standards in both public and private,  you are bound to find some of the same problems even in some, not all, private schools too.

I totally agree with you dear,but the problem of education in Nigeria is beyond funding,manpower etc. I need us to start thinking strategically,we need to build a system that will be cherished by our children not something that will be discarded as time goes bye.Our educational system can be  likened to the Nigerian constitution.We are still using military decree in a democratic environment.Some people may still argue that there is nothing wrong with our legal system,and that lawyers and court buildings are the problem.You see the case here?

I don't support any politician(am not even living in Nigeria presently),so don't misinterpret my stand on this issue.I am a product of both bad and good system,so i can confidently say that our educational system needs some urgent attention.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by efisher(m): 9:05pm On Mar 20, 2011
@ Demdem, It is actually a large document. Try using a download accelerator to download it. Or right-click on the link and select save-as rather than open.

I hope it helps  smiley
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 9:06pm On Mar 20, 2011
^^^^ Funding is part of the problem . . . that is simply what I am pointing out there. There are definitely other issues, as outlined in the document @efisher provided but even the WorldBank is NOT calling this a systemic problem.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 9:18pm On Mar 20, 2011
For your Information, by the time I was 21, I was already receiving salary and that was after graduating from studying Computer Science at University of Lagos and completing my NYSC program. The 6-3-3-4 system would produce gradates at the ripe age of 21 giving that the entrance age is 5. But if you get to skip classes due to brilliance, you can do it 19/20. So my guy, the l[b]abour markets is focussed on the brilliant ones that can do it, not those that would do JAMB in 5 attempts or need 3 WAEC/NECO to get 5 credits[/b].

There you failed again,not everyone in the US,UK etc is brilliant so to say,but i can say that both have seemly equal chance of going to school at a very young age.The d/f may only be in the prestige of the school they attend.The brilliant ones may go to Harvard why the others may go to some less prestigious schools elsewhere.You see the situation?

I think unilag is good enough to produce graduates who support facts with convincing empirical evidence.Most people lie about their age and it is a fact.This can be supporter by the preponderance of people without birth certificate,they all have sworn affidavits.

My dear,education wise am not doing so badly.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by efisher(m): 9:22pm On Mar 20, 2011
Can we all agree on one thing first:

THERE ARE MANY THINGS WRONG IN THE NIGERIAN EDUCATION SECTOR (Yes I typed sector not system)

If we agree with the above, I will be happy that at least, we are not yet completely blind. Next, we all should do enough research online and on ground with a view to discovering what those problems are. If you have a friend working in the Ministry of Education, just ask them the same question.

We will also agree that the following are possibly some problems plaguing the sector: Underfunding, Corruption, Indiscipline, Structural problems, Control Problems, Flexibility Problems, Curriculum Problems, etc.

The arguement left will be: DO THESE PROBLEMS EXIST? If yes, WHICH OF THESE ARE SYSTEM ISSUES?

If we can scale this hurdle, I will believe that we are on our way to recovery. I hope we can get to a common ground on this matter.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 9:27pm On Mar 20, 2011

THERE ARE MANY THINGS WRONG IN THE NIGERIAN EDUCATION SECTOR

If we agree with the above, I will be happy that at least, we are not yet completely blind. Next, we all should do enough research online and on ground with a view to discovering what those problems are. If you have a friend working in the Ministry of Education, just ask them the same question.

We will also agree that the following are possibly some problems plaguing the sector: Underfunding, Corruption, Indiscipline, Structural problems, Control Problems, Flexibility Problems, Curriculum Problems, etc.

The arguement left will be: DO THESE PROBLEMS EXIST? If yes, WHICH OF THESE ARE SYSTEM ISSUES?

If we can scale this hurdle, I will believe that we are on our way to recovery. I hope we can get to a common ground on this matter.

God bless you dear,the bolded are some of the systemic issues we need to address to be on track .
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by kokogee: 9:42pm On Mar 20, 2011
@ efisher and chamber, below is the part of world bank findings concerning Nigeria education system. The bold part clearly says the problem is as a result of mismanagement and inadequate funding. I can't blame you much bcs you'r products of the mismanaged system!

B Education Sector and Selected Aspects of the System
1 Background
The education system is based on the National Policy on Education (NPE) document of
1977 (last revised in 1990). The policy document addresses the issues of imbalance in the
provision of education in different parts of the country with regard to access, quality of
resources and girls’ education. Education is organized into 6 years of primary education,
3 years of junior secondary school, 3 years of senior secondary education and 4 years of
university/ polytechnic/ college education.
The Federal Ministry of Education has the responsibility for the coherence of national
policy and procedures and for ensuring that the states’ policies operate within the
parameters of national policy as adapted for local needs. Co-ordination of policy at the
political level takes place through the National Council of Education. This is the highest
policy making body, chaired by the Federal Minister of Education and includes all the
State Commissioners of Education. This body is advised by the Joint Consultative
Committee on Education, which consists of all the Federal and State Directors of
Education, Chief Executives of education statutory bodies, and Directors of University
Institutes of Education. The Director of the Federal Ministry of Education chairs the
Committee.
Responsibility for educational institutions is shared between Federal, State, local
government, communities and private organizations. The Ministry of Education has the
major responsibility for education but other Ministries also play an important role. The
Ministry of Information has the responsibility for publicity and awareness of some of the
educational policies and programs offered. The Ministry of Women’s affairs and Social
Welfare together with the State Commission for Women also play a role in promoting the
education of women and girls.
The administration of the education system is shared mainly amongst the Federal and
State Ministries of Education as well as statutory bodies referred to as Commissions.
There are Commissions established for different sub-sectors of the education system and
are charged with various responsibilities for the sub-sectors. There is a National Primary
Education Commission (NPEC), the National Secondary Education Commission
(NSEC), the National Mass Literacy, Adult and Non-Formal Education Commission
(NMEC) and the National Universities Commission (NUC). In addition there are other
major role players at local government level, district level and in the immediate
environment where the school is located.
The system grew rapidly in the late seventies and early eighties. The growth was mainly
in size and not in quality. There have been problems in the implementation of policies for
the expansion of the education system that have contributed to their failure to assist in the
social and economic development of the country. Lack of capacity for planning and
management, limited financial resources, inadequate information systems and monitoring
systems are some of the problems that led to rapid and unplanned growth. More attention
had been paid to the expansion of the system due to political pressures than from a
concern about the provision of greater access to quality education.

The expansion program has not been matched by a comparable increase in funding, to
ensure that the quality of education is maintained. Inadequate funding has had an impact
on the organization and management of education at all levels. There is a need for the
reconstruction of the infrastructure to ensure quality learning and teaching. Concerns
about quality and standards have been raised over and over again
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Akainzo(m): 9:46pm On Mar 20, 2011
chamber2:

There you failed again,not everyone in the US,UK etc is brilliant so to say,but i can say that both have seemly equal chance of going to school at a very young age.The d/f may only be in the prestige of the school they attend.The brilliant ones may go to Harvard why the others may go to some less prestigious schools elsewhere.You see the situation?

I think unilag is good enough to produce graduates who support facts with convincing empirical evidence.Most people lie about their age and it is a fact.This can be supporter by the preponderance of people without birth certificate,they all have sworn affidavits.

My dear,education wise am not doing so badly.

Really, chamber, I am at a loss at your comprehension ability. You made some statements to show that our educational system is not in tune with what the labour market is asking for and I showed you with facts that that assertion was wrong, and then you come up with this gibberish about US and UK universities, Harvard and mainstream!  shocked shocked shocked
Everybody has a chance to go to school at an early age in the Nigerian educational system. Your choice of university will depend on your funds and how brilliant you are, same as in all other countries.

Most people around you lie about their age, so it is normal for you to believe it is a fact. I have never had an age declaration as I have always had my birth cerificiate, likewise majority of people I went to school with and surround myself with.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 9:52pm On Mar 20, 2011
The system grew rapidly in the late seventies and early eighties. The growth was mainly
in size and not in quality. There have been problems in the implementation of policies for
the expansion of the education system that have contributed to their failure to assist in the
social and economic development of the country. Lack of capacity for planning and
management, limited financial resources, inadequate information systems and monitoring
systems
are some of the problems that led to rapid and unplanned growth. More attention
had been paid to the expansion of the system due to political pressures than from a
concern about the[b] provision of greater access to quality education[/b].

Whenever you read,try to read ''in between'' the lines.Are the bolded part systemic problems or not?Buhari said there is no problem with the system,was he right or wrong?There are both systemic problems and human caused problems such as poor funding,mismanagement etc.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Akainzo(m): 10:01pm On Mar 20, 2011
efisher:

THERE ARE MANY THINGS WRONG IN THE NIGERIAN EDUCATION SECTOR (Yes I typed sector not system)

Now we are getting somewhere.  YES, there are problems with the educational sector.

To the bolded question, none are system issues rather they are problems borne about by the lack of funding and corruption. Let me try to explain my stance, I will leave out underfunding as that an underlying cause.

Corruption: The system is not built or based on corruption rather it is based on all things being equal without any corruption, thus it is not systemic but a problem that affects the core of the system.
Indiscipline: Discipline is not enforced due to the corruption of the system and the fact that government tends to appoint its own goons rather than qualified people. There are clear guidelines to discipline erring pupils/teachers/schools.
Structural problems: the structure is as clear as day 6-3-3-4 or 9-3-4 as some now refer to it. Based on this structure, there are technical colleges, technical schools, polytechnics, universities, colleges of education and teaching hospitals.
Control problems: There are sufficient controls built within the system, but there are no funds to implement them. The NUC is supposed to accredit every course every two years, where is the funds to do this?
Flexibility problems: I am actually lost at what you mean by this. So you'd help me if you can explain.
Curriculum problems: The curriculums are supposed to be evaluated every 3 years, and the Fed Min of Educ actually has a curriculum department. However, where are the funds for them to do their jobs?

From the above, you'd see that the underfunding of the sector has led to the festering of corruption which has led to the non-workings of the constituent part of the system. Once you have a leadership with the will to drive the needed change to ensure the adherence of the provisions of the educational policies and system, and backs it up with adequate funding, then you'd see rejuvenation in our educational sector.
Parents would no more clamour to send kids to Ghana.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by hordexex(m): 10:09pm On Mar 20, 2011
There is nothing wrong with the system. Since the difference between the developed country and the underdeveloped is the PEOPLE, we only need to implement the system and also the government should be more concern about the educational sector.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by efisher(m): 10:10pm On Mar 20, 2011
I am so happy the whole world can read these posts. One day someone will learn something from it. If this were a law court, I would have drawn my next card BUT I have made my points and they are very clear. The rest is up for research.

BTW, Prof Pat Utomi, Oby Ezekwesili, and many other intellectuals also think there are many things wrong with the education sector as well as the system.

Happy reading here: cheesy
http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/zayyad-muhammad/oby-ezekwesili-and-management-of-unity-schools.html
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 10:12pm On Mar 20, 2011
Really, chamber, I am at a loss at your comprehension ability. You made some statements to show that our educational system is not in tune with what the
labour market is asking for and I showed you with facts that that assertion was wrong, and then you come up with this gibberish about US and UK universities, Harvard and mainstream!  Shocked Shocked Shocked
Everybody has a chance to go to school at an early age in the Nigerian educational system. Your choice of university will depend on your funds and how brilliant you are, same as in all other countries.

Most people around you lie about their age, so it is normal for you to believe it is a fact. I have never had an age declaration as I have always had my birth cerificiate, likewise majority of people I went to school with and surround myself with.

Well,the beauty of having arguments with intelligent people is that you tend to learn from both sides.I am speaking from a professional point of view.Most of the issues raised here were part of the issues we discussed in class during my undergraduate course in Education policy analysis.It all boiled down to the fact that we have both systemic and operational problems.The issue now is which comes first?System problems or institutional problems?The conclusion may be that there has to be a good mix of both to enable us have a functioning and functional educational system.I had my first degree in education administration and my 2nd degree in Economics,currently running a uk MBA (yet,am not up to 30 as you assumed grin grin grin).

Good work guys,lets use our education to transform Nigeria in which ever sphere of life we found ourselves.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by efisher(m): 10:16pm On Mar 20, 2011
@Chamber Well done, that is a beautiful and intelligent conclusion. Plus your credentials to show for it. grin grin grin

There is hope.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 10:20pm On Mar 20, 2011
chamber2:

in size and not in quality
. There have been problems in the implementation of policies for
systems
are some of the problems that led to rapid and unplanned growth. More attention
concern about the provision of greater access to quality education

Read what it says AS IS . . ,   Stop trying to make it say what you need it to. You are being told there were clearly problems in getting the system to adapt to the rapid growth due to such things as problems in implementation of policies, lack of capacity for planning and management, limited financial resources, inadequeta information systems and monitoring systems etc.  None of these problems ARE SYSTEMIC . . . these are more problems that have arisen due to neglect on the part of those manning the system.

Take the monitoring system issue for instance. We have a monitoring system in place to ensure quality of our educators. The article expounds on this too. That agency still exists, but apparently it is not doing it's job right, that is why we have teachers who cannot even speak English at the high school level teaching our kids.

The piece you have there even goes on to tell you that "More attention
concern about the[b] provision of greater access to quality education".

The document is in ENGLISH  . . . not in some foreign language.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by efisher(m): 10:36pm On Mar 20, 2011
@ Kobojunkie, I see the point you are making is: WE MAY NOT NEED TO SCRAP THE SYSTEM.
Right?

If yes, you are 100% correct in that.  wink

You are speaking about what to do next after the diagnosis. But first, what is the diagnosis?

We cannot also deny the fact that: THERE MAY BE SOMETHING WRONG WITH THE NIGERIAN EDUCATION SYSTEM! (Dont tell me NO, there is a "may be" right there!!!)

Now, here is an article that sums up both of our points:
http://www.nigeriavillagesquare.com/articles/zayyad-muhammad/oby-ezekwesili-and-management-of-unity-schools.html

Some excerpts:
It is a known fact that, from the late 80’s, public schools in Nigeria, have been bewildered by government of Nigeria incessant revision of the education curriculum, constant amending of schools calendar, and the seeming joy in altering and introducing new system of education, these, coupled with, corruption in the system, over-bloated overhead cost at the detriment of academic tools, and the increasing decline  in fortunes of the Nigerian economy, are the major causes of the lapses in the education sector. it is sickening to note that, various measures introduced by past regimes in Nigeria and indeed the present regime of president Obasanjo have not yield a considerable improvement in creating an educational system that is maintainable, sustainable, reliable, dependable and responsive to our fast changing world, though, it is too early to start grading the present Universal Basic Education (UBE) introduced by the government of president Obasanjo.
       -- but the truth is, there is a huge hole on the health of our education system, and thus, as nation, we dearly need a means to finally construct a plan that will solve the continuing increasing problems in our education system, we really need a shift in the way our schools are run, and put up  a system that will provide adequate funding, help in improving standard and   quality of both teachers and students, a system that will completely aid in shifting away from the tradition, where government is the provider, administer, monitor and assessor of fund.

Now are we on the same page?
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Akainzo(m): 11:23pm On Mar 20, 2011
efisher:

Now, here is an article that sums up both of our points:

Some excerpts:
It is a known fact that, from the late 80’s, public schools in Nigeria, have been bewildered by government of Nigeria incessant revision of the education curriculum, constant amending of schools calendar, and the seeming joy in altering and introducing new system of education, these, coupled with, corruption in the system, over-bloated overhead cost at the detriment of academic tools, and the increasing decline  in fortunes of the Nigerian economy, are the major causes of the lapses in the education sector. it is sickening to note that, various measures introduced by past regimes in Nigeria and indeed the present regime of president Obasanjo have not yield a considerable improvement in creating an educational system that is maintainable, sustainable, reliable, dependable and responsive to our fast changing world, though, it is too early to start grading the present Universal Basic Education (UBE) introduced by the government of president Obasanjo.
       -- but the truth is, there is a huge hole on the health of our education system, and thus, as nation, we dearly need a means to finally construct a plan that will solve the continuing increasing problems in our education system, we really need a shift in the way our schools are run, and put up  a system that will provide adequate funding, help in improving standard and   quality of both teachers and students, a system that will completely aid in shifting away from the tradition, where government is the provider, administer, monitor and assessor of fund.

Now are we on the same page?

That Ezekwelisi made the mistake of referring to a sector as a system does not mean she is right. Except of course you want to say she is always right.  grin

If you read what she wrote up there, she clearly was not advocating for a change in the system of education but addressing the ills in the sector. Until, you differentiate between the sector and the system, you'd continue to get it wrong.
Ok, when OBJ introduced UBE, did he change the system, Nope! He merely coupled the 6-3 to make a 9 and make those compulsory that must be free. The same way a V6 engine is still a combustion engine despite having two chambers.

I thought you were on the right path before and I spent time to help you out, now you seem to have gone back to your old ways.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 11:51pm On Mar 20, 2011
[list]
[li]That Ezekwelisi made the mistake of referring to a sector as a system does not mean she is right. Except of course you want to say she is always right. Grin

If you read what she wrote up there, she clearly was not advocating for a change in the system of education but addressing the ills in the sector. Until, you differentiate between the sector and the system, you'd continue to get it wrong.
Ok, when OBJ introduced UBE, did he change the system, Nope! He merely coupled the 6-3 to make a 9 and make those compulsory that must be free. The same way a V6 engine is still a combustion engine despite having two chambers.

I thought you were on the right path before and I spent time to help you out, now you seem to have gone back to your old ways.[/li]
[li][/li]
[/list]

I had earlier concluded but your post made me to come back.I am not saying the 6-3-3-4 system be crapped,don't get me wrong.But we need to review it to address such issues as:

1.who funds education?Govt,parents,corporate bodies etc?
2.what is the role of the learner in the whole idea of education?Is the learner's involvement going to be passive or active?
3.What are the role of parents in the educational system?
4.Who supervises or monitors the progress of the educational system?Parents,teachers,govt,independent bodies etc?
5.what will be the emphasis of the curriculum?Vocational,technical etc?
5.How are students to be assessed?Exams,assignments,group work,projects etc?
6.How do we get feedback on the success of the education system?through student performance in exams( this is currently been practiced and i think it is not adequate),from parents,teachers,ministries,successful project completion etc?
7.who assess the teacher?govt,parents,students,independent bodies etc?
8.what should be the mode of transition from one level of the academic stage to the other?Final exams,final projects,group work etc?

These are some of the issues a good a educational system tries to address.I am sorry to say that the current system has not done a good work in providing answers to these and many other issues.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 11:56pm On Mar 20, 2011
chamber2:

I had earlier concluded but your post made me to come back.I am not saying the 6-3-3-4 system be crapped,don't get me wrong.But we need to review it to address such issues as:

1.who funds education?Govt,parents,corporate bodies etc?
2.what is the role of the learner in the whole idea of education?Is the learner's involvement going to be passive or active?
3.What are the role of parents in the educational system?
4.Who supervises or monitors the progress of the educational system?Parents,teachers,govt,independent bodies etc?
5.what will be the emphasis of the curriculum?Vocational,technical etc?
5.How are students to be assessed?Exams,assignments,group work,projects etc?
6.How do we get feedback on the success of the education system?through student performance in exams( this is currently been practiced and i think it is not adequate),from parents,teachers,ministries,successful project completion etc?
7.who assess the teacher?govt,parents,students,independent bodies etc?
8.what should be the mode of transition from one level of the academic stage to the other?Final exams,final projects,group work etc?

These are some of the issues a good a educational system tries to address.I am sorry to say that the current system has not done a good work in providing answers to these and many other issues.

I hate to break it to you but the system has in the past done, and provided for much of what you have above, and done it well too. Again, the problem is due to neglect, we have not kept up quality wise.

I have to ask at this point . . . are you just wanting to engage in this simply cause of the elections? You come off as someone who has absolutely no clue what we even have at all, and it is hard to understand why one would even pretend to know the problems of a system that one clearly does not seem to even know of.  Read the WORLDBANK report, and many other reports out there on our Education system please.

My mum was a teacher back in the days, and most every other summer(I believe), she, and her colleagues attended [b]mandatory [/b]teacher training conferences/workshops to improve their skills. They even had external reviewers come in to review the performance of teachers from time to time, and this was all in Nigeria. Now, I guess no one cares anymore and so our kids don't get the best.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 12:08am On Mar 21, 2011
I hate to break it to do but the system has in the past done, and provided for much of what you have above, and done it well too. Again, the problem is due to neglect, we have not kept up quality wise.

I have to ask at this point . . . are you just wanting to engage in this simply cause of the elections? You come off as someone who has absolutely no clue what we even have at all, and it is hard to understand why one would even pretend to know the problems of a system that one clearly does not seem to even know of. Read the WORLDBANK report, and many other reports out there on our Education system please.

I know what i am talking about,maybe you are the one finding it difficult to understand me.I have read the 6-3-3-4 system blue print and i can advise you well on that.

Let me ask you for instance,who assess the teacher?
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 12:13am On Mar 21, 2011
I hate to break it to do but the system has in the past done, and provided for much of what you have above, and done it well too. Again, the problem is due to neglect, we have not kept up quality wise.

There is neglect because the current system does not make provisions for measures that will checkmate neglect and abuse

And I ask you again,how do we get feedback on the success of the education system?
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 1:21am On Mar 21, 2011
chamber2:

I know what i am talking about,maybe you are the one finding it difficult to understand me.I have read the 6-3-3-4 system blue print and i can advise you well on that.
Let me ask you for instance,who assess the teacher?

Why do you ask this after it is has been pointed out already? Even the document (again the WorldBank document provided earlier by @efisher) explains much of this to you and I.
chamber2:

There is neglect because the current system does not make provisions for measures that will checkmate neglect and abuse

WRONG!!! Even the most perfectly designed system can only run as effectively as the PEOPLE put in place to man them can. I have this so many times already.
chamber2:

And I ask you again,how do we get feedback on the success of the education system?
As matter of fact, we do have a feedback system and we still do. Again, spend some time on that WORLDBANK document and also spend some time reviewing the WORLDBANK Data site as it contains data on our schools as well.  Now, unfortunately, we get fed BULL reports from these feedback systems now . . .  lol. I mean it is like the problem in other sectors, people make data and reports up/pad it all to support their political need at the time. 

For instance, again the Ministry of Education recently announced that based on it's findings and data that had been collected over the years, it had found that it needed to change the system -- went as far as to fault the old system. When you however request and review records from existing schools, you find that much of what was reported and used as reason to buttress that decision was BULL.

Again, notice how I keep having to correct your assumptions on our Education system? I suggest again, you spend actual time learning of the system we have and of the problem that do exist. Again, I schooled in that country ( from Primary to tertiary level) and I can confidently tell you that much of what you think is missing, has actually been provided for in our system -- only now there is so much neglect that you can hardly get anything quality coming out unless the trend is changed.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Genius100: 5:04am On Mar 21, 2011
Kobojunkie, no disrespect, but you are really starting to sound like a major clown. Funding is a problem, corruption is a problem. The majority of the students are failing WAEC, the teachers are poorly trained etc. Yet you continue to say it's not a systemic problem. So when does it become a systemic problem? I'm finding it extremely hard to take you seriously.

You really must not understand the definition of a systemic problem? All the factors that you've stated are below par constitute the system, so if the majority of the components of the system are in shambles, what else do you need to declare it a systemic problem?
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 6:42am On Mar 21, 2011
^^^ Sorry, but I am not the one misusing the term here. If you do not understand what constitutes a systemic problem, you are best asking please!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Abians Protest Peacefully Against The Killings Of Igbos In The North / Jonathan Is A War Time President – Rev. Ladi Thompson / Lagos Speaker Gets N1Billion Bail As EFCC Re-arraigns Him

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 145
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.