Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,732 members, 7,817,014 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 10:55 PM

Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari (12440 Views)

We Will Restore Sanity To The System – Buhari Declares / Accept Democracy As Lifestyle, Not Government System, Buhari Tells Nigerians / Even With Quota System, Buhari Does Not Have A Primary School Certificate. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by efisher(m): 6:49am On Mar 21, 2011
Kobojunkie! Take it easy na. We have tried to reason it from your point of view. The facts are there and if need be, more research can be done. We cannot just outrightly rule out a possibility because we don't think so. Let the doctors do the diagnosis and tell us the health status of our education.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 6:55am On Mar 21, 2011
I have not ruled out anything. However, I am [b]not [/b]going to state here that we definitely have some systemic problems since we have no proof of that yet.  They may exist but so far, all indications point to issues of mismanagement, corruption ETC.  which are not systemic and have been made clear, over and over, in unbiased reports from such organizations like the worldbank, and other NGO's right in Nigeria.

Again, I am a product of that same system - my mum and many of her friends were teachers in that system. I didn't have to take any special exams to transfer my knowledge here to the states-- why? Because the training I got when I schooled down in Nigeria was sufficient for me to continue here in the states. I can't say the same today of students who leave the Nigerian schools for schools out here. The quality has taken a beaten and there is no hiding that.

We have discussed this education system at length -- in the last 3 years, I can state that we have had heated discussion on the how to tackle and where the problem really lies, at least 20 times now. This, to some of us is NOT about some silly election. Some people actually care to see this sector improved over the years as we clearly understand that the lives and future of millions depend on it. Pouring money as the current President has suggested to no solution. Building new schools without ensuring we have enough qualified teachers to train our students in the existing, and then the new schools, does not help. I can go on and on . . .
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Genius100: 7:34am On Mar 21, 2011
Kobojunkie:

I have not ruled out anything. However, I am [b]not [/b]going to state here that we definitely have some systemic problems since we have no proof of that yet. They may exist but so far, all indications point to issues of mismanagement, corruption ETC. which are not systemic and have been made clear, over and over, in unbiased reports from such organizations like the worldbank, and other NGO's right in Nigeria.

Again, I am a product of that same system - my mum and many of her friends were teachers in that system. I didn't have to take any special exams to transfer my knowledge here to the states-- why? Because the training I got when I schooled down in Nigeria was sufficient for me to continue here in the states. I can't say the same today of students who leave the Nigerian schools for schools out here. The quality has taken a beaten and there is no hiding that.

We have discussed this education system at length -- in the last 3 years, I can state that we have had heated discussion on the how to tackle and where the problem really lies, at least 20 times now. This, to some of us is NOT about some silly election. Some people actually care to see this sector improved over the years as we clearly understand that the lives and future of millions depend on it. Pouring money as the current President has suggested to no solution. Building new schools without ensuring we have enough qualified teachers to train our students in the existing, and then the new schools, does not help. I can go on and on . . .

Kobojunkie schooled in Nigeria and was able to transfer her knowledge to schools in the US, so there is no systemic problem. Like the rest of us did not school in the same system? Please spare us the nonsensical semantics. You clearly do not understand the meaning of a systemic problem. Left to you, just because the concept of 6-3-3-4 by itself is not flawed means there is no systemic problem. Meanwhile almost every single thing that constitute the system is not going well. No adequate funding. Teachers are poorly trained, outdated textbooks are used, exams are poorly designed, In 2011, thousands of WAEC results are cancelled because of alleged malpractices, the vast majority of the students cannot even write simple sentences as evidenced by posts on Nairaland and you are still obtusely claiming the problem is not systemic. I don't think I can name one thing about the system that is working the way it should. This one na real burying still of head for sand,
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Genius100: 7:49am On Mar 21, 2011
It's obvious some people on this thread do not understand what constitutes a systemic problem. You can either have isolated issues or a systemic problem. When you can't even point to a single aspect of our educational system that's world class, that should be enough proof that there is a systemic problem.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 9:00am On Mar 21, 2011
Again, notice how I keep having to correct your assumptions on our Education system? I suggest again, you spend actual time learning of the system we have and of the problem that do exist. Again, I schooled in that country ( from Primary to tertiary level) and I can confidently tell you that much of what you think is missing, has actually been provided for in our system -- only now there is so much neglect that you can hardly get anything quality coming out unless the trend is changed.

Your problem is that you see me and most others as aliens.Did i tell you that i was a teacher in that system?Did i tell you that i had my 1st degree in Educational Administration?So,most of the words you use here i understand them better than you do.

Insert Quote
It's obvious some people on this thread do not understand what constitutes a systemic problem. You can either have isolated issues or a systemic problem. When you can't even point to a single aspect of our educational system that's world class, that should be enough proof that there is a systemic problem.

Thank you.If you compared the amount spent on education in the 1960s and the result that was obtained,and then with the amount spent on education currently,then you will begin to ask yourself if funding is actually the problem.Funding to me is just part of the problem.We need to look at the bigger issue,not just fund or mismanagement etc.

^^^ Sorry, but I am not the one misusing the term here. If you do not understand what constitutes a systemic problem, you are best asking please!

You talked about you and your parents being the products of this system.I ask,how old are you and how old are your parents?Do you really know when the current system was introduced?I doubt if you do or unless if your parents were born in the 80s.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by paddylo1(m): 9:09am On Mar 21, 2011
Not Surprised.  .Buhari is an Illiterate. . ex soldier and coup plotter
so he will see nothing wrong with the system. .

Of course a system like that will always allow the Buharis of the world with Little or no education rise to the top
while better qualified ppl never make it

Again he wishes to govern Nigeria with little or no education. . .while GEJ the PHd Holder is there

This would never fly in a civilized country

why do we accept nincompoops and charlatans such as Buhari as presidential candidates

Its laughable i tell ya.  .kind of like getting pinochet to come contest in chile
or one Brazils many ex military Generals to come contest in Brazil of today

If we want to be a responsible member of the international community
then we have to leave the likes of Buhari behind. .
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by opalu: 9:17am On Mar 21, 2011
Genius100:

Ur name is Genius but u sound far from anything genius-like.

If there is anyone who lacks the basic understanding of ordinary 'systemic problem' then it is you.
For the reason that People like GEJ bagged fake PhDs from the Nigeria schools or that our youths record a 90% failure in WAEC/NECO does not mean that the system has failed. For your information, you can only say the system failed after it has been operated to full capacity, funded to full capacity and replace all the bad eggs, half-done Lecturers who are sabottaging the system.

GEJ's attempt to change the system by scrapping the NCE, converting all polys into Unis (as Obj attempted), changing from 6-3-3-4/9-3-4 to something else and other egocentric steps were met with stiff resistance by stakeholders. Now he has distributed Universities to every village.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by opalu: 9:24am On Mar 21, 2011
paddy_lo:

Not Surprised. .Buhari is an Illiterate. . ex soldier and coup plotter
so he will see nothing wrong with the system. .

Of course a system like that will always allow the Buharis of the world with Little or no education rise to the top
while better qualified ppl never make it

Again he wishes to govern Nigeria with little or no education. . .while GEJ the PHd Holder is there

This would never fly in a civilized country

why do we accept nincompoops and charlatans such as Buhari as presidential candidates

Its laughable i tell ya. .kind of like getting pinochet to come contest in chile
or one Brazils many ex military Generals to come contest in Brazil of today

If we want to be a responsible member of the international community
then we have to leave the likes of Buhari behind. .

You talk of Buhari being an Illitrate?
You must be a Joker!!!!!!!!!!!
WILL U SAY THAT SINCE BILL GATES WAS A SCHOOL DROP-OUT, YOU WILL NOT ACCEPT A JOB FROM MICROSOFT OR USE THEIR PRODUCTS (OFCOUSE U USED A COMPUTER TO TYPE THE RUBBISH ABOVE)?
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 2:01pm On Mar 21, 2011
chamber2:

Your problem is that you see me and most others as aliens.Did i tell you that i was a teacher in that system?Did i tell you that i had my 1st degree in Educational Administration?So,most of the words you use here i understand them better than you do.
Why do I seriously doubt that? Look, you have asked questions that people who really understand and KNOW the Nigerian school system would not have asked. You have over and over made incorrect assumptions of the current system and I, as well as others have tried to get you to see you need to have a serious understanding of what is, to even begin to diagnose this. Having a FIRST oR LAST degree  in Educational Administration has NOTHING to do with understanding Nigerians educational problems!

chamber2:

Thank you.If you compared the amount spent on education in the 1960s and the result that was obtained,and then with the amount spent on education currently,then you will begin to ask yourself if funding is actually the problem.Funding to me is just part of the problem.We need to look at the bigger issue,not just fund or mismanagement etc.
umm . . . .  The whole world KNOWS funding is part of the problem. The many strikes over unpaid salaries and lack  of funding for one area or another would clue even strangers in to that issue. You have said nothing new here. How can you look at any bigger issue when you have yet to consider the issues right before your eyes -- issues that your attention has been continuously called to for over a decade now? Issues that the WorldBank has called your attention to over and over in the last 20 years?

I am so glad I did not post that WorldBank report(which seems to stretch to the issues from way back in the early 90's to today) on our education sector and the problems it continues to face largely as a result of instability in the country. READ IT FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!! Learn of the system you are pretending to debate on.

chamber2:

You talked about you and your parents being the products of this system.I ask,how old are you and how old are your parents?Do you really know when the current system was introduced?I doubt if you do or unless if your parents were born in the 80s.

ROFLMAO!!!!  My Parents were products of this system? Where exactly did you get this from? My parents were born in the 80's? What does that even mean? lipsrsealed undecided undecided undecided
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by klear(f): 2:31pm On Mar 21, 2011
He is right. Dia is notin wrong wit d system bt dia is a lot of tins wrong wit d sector & d way tins r handled ( talk abt nigerians & her half baked graduates) & dat is wat he should have expanded on, how he intends 2 make it work if he becomes president
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by forkadict(m): 2:40pm On Mar 21, 2011
I have only read thru the first three pages and here is my position on the topic:
Both views of the pro Buhari and anti buhari camps aren't necessarily incompatible. Obviously there's so much that's wrong with our system particualarly the tertiary education. Why do we have frequent strikes by ASUU? Why don't our universities produce graduates that can hold their own anytime anywhere? Imagine a colleague of mine asking a mutual colleague to help him sit for the Exam by Nigerian Society of Engineers for corporate membership? And he's supposed to be an engineering gradutae of one of the FIRST GENERATION UNIVERSITIES? How many universities have enough machines for their engineering undergraduates to practise with? How many first class graduates actually return to the classroom? Isn't the classroom supposed to attract and retain the best brains in the country? Now we see graduates with 2.2 lecturing in universities (pls no disrespect here). One can conclude that this is a result of their inability to get into the industry.  How many engineering projects get adopted by the industry? The academia should actually be offering technical services to the industries. But how many of such instances do we see? Definitely below what's expected. What about standardization of the universities' results? Certainly an upper second class material in certain universities will attain first class in other universities with remarkable ease. Let's not forget marks for nyansh or marks for cash syndrome.

If we tackle corruption effectively, certainly many (maybe not all) of the ills highlighted above will be fixed. Marks for nyansh or marks for cash will certainly be tackled, frequent ASUU strikes will be checked, universities will stop producing qwacks, our universities will be well funded and as such they will have more facilities, the classrooms will be more attractive for the first class graduates etc. Has anyone asked what became of the EDUCATION TAX FUND or why the impact wasn't felt across our universities?
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Genius100: 4:07pm On Mar 21, 2011
opalu:

your name is Genius but u sound far from anything genius-like.

If there is anyone who lacks the basic understanding of ordinary 'systemic problem' then it is you.
For the reason that People like GEJ bagged fake PhDs from the Nigeria schools or that our youths record a 90% failure in WAEC/NECO does not mean that the system has failed. For your information, you can only say the system failed after it has been operated to full capacity, funded to full capacity and replace all the bad eggs, half-done Lecturers who are sabottaging the system.

GEJ's attempt to change the system by scrapping the NCE, converting all polys into Unis (as Obj attempted), changing from 6-3-3-4/9-3-4 to something else and other egocentric steps were met with stiff resistance by stakeholders. Now he has distributed Universities to every village.

No disrespect sir, but you are a compound mo-ron. The so-called system permits all the ills you just typed, and you are still saying there is no systemic problem? A well designed and functional  system will have checks and balances that ensures that all critical parts are working. Even if we stretch the truth and say all these problems are caused by corruption, then the simple fact is that corruption has caused a systemic problem in the education system. Thus, you will need to redesign the system with a lot of checks and balances such that corrupt acts are promptly exposed and punished.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 4:54pm On Mar 21, 2011
Why do I seriously doubt that? Look, you have asked questions that people who really understand and KNOW the Nigerian school system would not have asked. You have over and over made incorrect assumptions of the current system and I, as well as others have tried to get you to see you need to have a serious understanding of what is, to even begin to diagnose this. Having a FIRST oR LAST degree in Educational Administration has NOTHING to do with understanding Nigerians educational problems!

The Federal Government has said the 6-3-3-4 system of education introduced during the military administration of former Head of State, General Ibrahim Babangida, would be phased out.

Minister of State for Education, Kenneth Gbagi, said this at a meeting with executives of the National Association of Private Proprietors of Schools (NAPPS) led by its Chairman, Saidu Ahmed Mijinyawa in Abuja late Tuesday, where he apologized to them over the closure of primary and secondary schools for voters' registration by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC).

President Goodluck Jonathan had earlier agreed on the phasing out of the 6-3-3-4 system of education last year at the National Education Summit and asked those that introduced it to apologise to Nigerians because of its failure.

Gbagi said the national curriculum of education would be redesigned to phase out the present system of 6-3-3-4.

This he said would give way for the reintroduction of the old system of education which he referred to as better.

He also apologised on behalf of the Federal Government to the proprietors private schools for the sudden decision to extend the reopening date of primary and secondary schools in January to allow for the conduct of the voters' registration without any consultation or input from private schools. The minister added that they would be engaged in dialogue to gain their input towards the resolution of issues that affect stakeholders in the education sector.

He also directed examination bodies to discontinue with the registration of "magic centres" across the country.

http://allafrica.com/stories/201102100688.html
http://allafrica.com/stories/201102141173.html
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 5:02pm On Mar 21, 2011
My Parents were products of this system? Where exactly did you get this from? My parents were born in the 80's? What does that even mean?

You are really ignorant of the topic of discussion.The 6-3-3-4 system was introduced in 1983.Even if your parents went to secondary or university in the 80s,they still had their foundation in the old system which has been adjudged as the best.Try to do some research to help yourself.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 5:23pm On Mar 21, 2011
umm . . . . The whole world KNOWS funding is part of the problem. The many strikes over unpaid salaries and lack of funding for one area or another would clue even strangers in to that issue. You have said nothing new here. How can you look at any bigger issue when you have yet to consider the issues right before your eyes -- issues that your attention has been continuously called to for over a decade now? Issues that the WorldBank has called your attention to over and over in the last 20 years?

When you identify the root of a problem you will definitely solve the problem,because that will guide you to know the right medication to administer.In my previous posting i outlined some of the issues that require further consideration.For instance,the current system states that funding of education shall be the responsibility of the govt.But if you check what is happening in other parts of the world,govt does not fund education 100%.Most of the top uni in other parts of the world receive most of their funding through corporate bodies,rich individuals,charities etc.We therefore need to integrate collaboration in the system.

I repeat,if you continue to pump in money into an inefficient system you will definitely get little or no result.But when you strengthen the system to make proper room for efficiency,productivity,objectivity etc then any amount of money you pump in will be useful.

Also,try to read other people's post before commenting.We had earlier concluded this discussion on the note that the educational system has both systemic and institutional problems.But the question is,which one comes first?systemic or institutional?The logical answer may be to have a good mix of both.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 8:45pm On Mar 21, 2011
chamber2:

You are really ignorant of the topic of discussion.The 6-3-3-4 system was introduced in 1983.Even if your parents went to secondary or university in the 80s,they still had their foundation in the old system which has been adjudged as the best.Try to do some research to help yourself.
Kobojunkie:

[size=13pt]My Parents were products of this system? Where exactly did you get this from? My parents were born in the 80's? What does that even mean?[/size] lipsrsealed undecided undecided undecided

Oh, and another correction, 6-3-3-4 system was not introduced in 1983 -- actual implementation and start of 6-3-3-4 in schools came later than that -- Schools started the 6-3-3-4 during the IBB regime.

http://www.nigeriaplus.com/6-3-3-4-desecrating-fafunwa%E2%80%99s-memory-by-reuben-abati/
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 10:03pm On Mar 21, 2011

Oh, and another correction, 6-3-3-4 system was not introduced in 1983 -- actual implementation and start of 6-3-3-4 in schools came later than that -- Schools started the 6-3-3-4 during the IBB regime.

You seem to have language problem.When was it approved?That is why people fail exams.Is Babangida's regime a date,yr or time?Babangida ruled bw 1985-1993.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 10:20pm On Mar 21, 2011
W-T-Frell !! shocked shocked shocked
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by RiffRaff: 11:58pm On Mar 21, 2011
Its Bin a While Since i Posted on NL, But after Readin dis Topic, i feel d Need 2 Post.
@ Chamber2
ur Post is Outrightly Objective, D Problem is: Most Piple View d 6-3-3, & d likes as just a Cliche dat has No Effect on d overall Quality of Eductn. M Currently in d System (It Sucks in evry Way imaginable) & i must Say U were Right when u Said "Education is about d OVERALL Exprience"
its a Pity am Typin wit my Fone, i Would have loved 2 Join dis Discussion Big Tym,
Just Look @ d Quality of d Uni Graduate, Secondary Skool WAEC/NECO/JAMB Result, Readin Culture, Student 2 Teacher Relationship, Reasearch Work, Curriculum, Inventions e.t.c & i stil See Piple Sayin Nutin is Wrong Wit D System.
I Know Some of U Want Bhuari 2 Win d Election but it is Obvious that D Guy is Clueless About d State of d Nigerian Educatnal System.
For any Nation 2 Progress, they Must Take Education Very Serious.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 12:19am On Mar 22, 2011
@Riff-Raff

God bless you .Only intelligent people can say that.The truth is that I am not even for any of the politicians.I am only giving my view on the issue.But i would rather prefer GEJ to Buhari grin grin grin
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Riot5000: 9:10am On Mar 22, 2011
Speaking by the Northren Standard.
BOKO HARAM would say exactly the same thing.
Those who went to war to bring me back to Nigeria, I CURSE YOUR ENTIRE FAMILIES and GENERATYIONS to come.
You cannot soar like an Eagle when you fly with a squadron of LEAD BOOTED TURKEYS.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by efisher(m): 10:51am On Mar 22, 2011
Thank you Riff-Raff, I'm glad there are reasonable people out there who can still see clearly. I am relieved.

Going foward, we could actually use this forum to do an indepth analysis the system, identify the problems we have and profer solutions. We may not be paid for the gesture, but we may just end up contributing to the future of our children. One smart politician may stumble across this and learn something or two.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by efisher(m): 11:03am On Mar 22, 2011
I can take the lead here.

We can start by analysing the demographics of our nation. Demographic data are the characteristics of a human population. It is neccessary for us to know who the system should be serving. This will help us to define what the objectives of the system should be. We can then look at what we are doing now, compared to what we ought to be doing. At the same time, we can delve into the problems in detail and generate ideas for mitigation and control.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by satogaje: 2:15pm On Mar 22, 2011
This is to Kegali & efisher and supporters of PDP (GEJ); I read your comments and I appreciate your efforts in x-raying the problems in the Nigerian Education System. Have you told your Presidents all these loop-holes? If you have done that, what is he doing to fill those holes? Can you tell me any bill that you and your PDP members submitted to the house that can possibly checkmate corruption in the system?

Buhari had simply hit the nail on the head. Speaking grammars or talking at the light of speed does not automatically make you the best candidate; only truth does and he spoke it but many Nigerians are blind and deaf to truth.

Let me tell you, if you design the best system for any sector and the people to run the system lack will power to make the system work, if the people's value system differ from goal of the system, the system will not produce the right results.

I am not saying that Buhari is the best candidate but I appreciate those who see the truth and say it; so therefore I love Buhari for that. And the main fact is that Buhari will not only be the one leading the country, it is everybody's responsibility. We need to lead ourselves first. We need to lead our families secondly - leading in the right way. For this country to move forward, we need to overhaul our VALUE SYSTEM.

The root cause of the problems of Nigerian is the VALUE SYSTEM. If I value OWANBE PARTY more than the health of my fellow brother, I would use 1billion to host a party rather than spend the same on the health sector for the benefit of that brother. Our VALUE System needs to be changed.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by efisher(m): 3:48pm On Mar 22, 2011
^^^ Well done for bringing out another one: Value System. You are actually right in pointing it out! grin grin grin
There are so many things wrong and you have just helped identify another one.
Thanks

FYI, I am not a PDP supporter.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by satogaje: 4:13pm On Mar 22, 2011
Efisher, thanks for your reply. And I'm sorry for ascribing you a PDP supporter. The time is now that we need to ask these politicians questions, I mean constructive and problem-solving questions. If I promise to improve the economic situation of the country and I lavish millions of Naira everyday on 2face and Dbanj and hosts of them for campaign, am I not fooling someone? Who am I fooling - is it the citizens or myself? Please help answer this.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 6:51pm On Mar 22, 2011
The issue of development is a very important one,but i can confidently say that our leaders are NOT ignorant of what to do to place Nigeria on the threshold of development.They know even more than we do.They surround themselves with the best brain both in and outside the country as advisers.They receive recommendations from in't development agencies.They have also seem what other countries have done and still doing to develop or sustain their development.So,the problem is not on the issues on how to develop Nigeria,rather the political WILL to selflessly confront the challenges.Every body in Nigeria seems to think about himself rather than the nation,and they bring this same mentality when elected into any leadership position.

That is why i call for a review of our educational system.This is because the educational system remains the most veritable tool for social cum economic re-engineering.Our current curriculum place little or no emphasis on leadership education and team spirit,rather much is said on individuality and ethnicity.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 7:04pm On Mar 22, 2011
The issue of development is a very important one,but i can confidently say that our leaders are NOT ignorant of what to do to place Nigeria on the threshold of development.They know even more than we do.They surround themselves with the best brain both in and outside the country as advisers.They receive recommendations from in't development agencies.They have also seem what other countries have done and still doing to develop or sustain their development.So,the problem is not on the issues on how to develop Nigeria,rather the political WILL to selflessly confront the challenges.Every body in Nigeria seems to think about himself rather than the nation,and they bring this same mentality when elected into any leadership position.

That is why i call for a review of our educational system.This is because the educational system remains the most veritable tool for social and economic re-engineering.Our current curriculum place little or no emphasis on leadership education and team spirit,rather much is said on individuality and ethnicity.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Beaf: 7:16pm On Mar 22, 2011
opalu:

You talk of Buhari being an Illitrate?
You must be a Joker!!!!!!!!!!!
WILL U SAY THAT SINCE BILL GATES WAS A SCHOOL DROP-OUT, YOU WILL NOT ACCEPT A JOB FROM MICROSOFT OR USE THEIR PRODUCTS (OFCOUSE U USED A COMPUTER TO TYPE THE RUBBISH ABOVE)?

Buhari is indeed an illiterate and self confessed cattle rearer. I can bet you, he doesn't have the slightest clue of what "education system" means.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by efisher(m): 7:26pm On Mar 22, 2011
I was thinking of a way we can integrate our Universities with the industry. If you go to places like USA, Japan, etc you will see that companies do their research directly in the Universities, using the university resources. Many Government facilities are located in the Univeristy. For example, University of Tokyo Atacama Observatory is one of the largest observatories in the world. The current system running in Nigerian Universities is too classroom based and disconnected from the economy. In Engineering for example, students only get a chance to feel what the industry is like during a six month industrial attachment (don't know if this applies in all Universities). I think it should be different. These Universities can be industrialized and integrated into the economy. It will then give our students better opportunity to learn from the real world. The benefit is that they can then seamlessly join in the industry when they graduate. Secondly, the universities will not be crying for fund.

Some Universities have already taken the initiative by opening some small scale production facilities (Like pure water production grin). Fine, good start. I think we need to emphasize more on it. We need to integrate the agric departments with the agricultural sector. Move the classroom intoo the farms! Live and direct, teach them how to manage projects and grow the economy. Instead, what we have is an imposed NYSC as a way to keep the youth in the "fridge"! Imagine an Engineering graduate teaching English Language for one year all in the name of national service! What a shame!

@ Chamber, as you rightly said, these ideas are not foreign to our leaders. They know these things. We just need to keep reminding them. One day, a sane leader will rise up and these ideas will be given life. Then we will see the beauty of the Nigerian youth.

Sai the youth!!!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Nigerians Have No Reason To Be Poor, Tinubu Tells APC Governors / Abians Protest Peacefully Against The Killings Of Igbos In The North / Jonathan Is A War Time President – Rev. Ladi Thompson

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.