Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,674 members, 7,816,761 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 04:39 PM

Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari (12438 Views)

We Will Restore Sanity To The System – Buhari Declares / Accept Democracy As Lifestyle, Not Government System, Buhari Tells Nigerians / Even With Quota System, Buhari Does Not Have A Primary School Certificate. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 4:06pm On Mar 19, 2011
@Jmaine, I suggest you go back to school and learn how every statement EXISTS within some context

You think corruption is our [b]only [/b]problem then why is Malaysia equally corrupt doing better and equally growing.

You would need to RE-POST the exact line where you have me actually STATING the above as you accuse me. I have explained that I NEVER SAID THAT. I only picked one particular instance to expound on the corruption part of the problem and BOOM, the BLIND BATS OF NAIRALAND decided all on their own that @KoboJunkie said Corruption is the problem. PLEASE LEARN TO READ-- It SAVES Time and Bandwidth.

Do you realize how this makes all else you have posted USELESS TO THE DISCUSSION for this one mistake you made here??
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 4:12pm On Mar 19, 2011
chamber2:

A bad system brings bad result

A good system brings good result

like begets like. A snake cannot give birth to a lion,NEVER.

That is so wrong -- I don't even know where you start. Even when you have a good system, if the people running the system are themselves not capable/qualified/ or they are even corrupt, the chances are your good system will not function properly.

Imagine your computer for a moment( I am guessing you are typing from one), these machines are products of billions of research that has taken centuries of great work to create for you. So, we can assume that you get a good system(computer) when you purchase one. But, in the hands of a child(no computer skills), that same computer, even with all the amount of research poured into it's development, and the in-built controls to check and correct misuse, will not produce the same result as it would when a grown up with solid computer skills and putting those skills to use on that same machine, would. So, it is not the system that needs to be changed but those manning the system that decide what the output will be.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 4:15pm On Mar 19, 2011
passyjango:

You got it wrong; corruption is a by-product of a society that has gotten its values wrong. Like I said before the problem is not in the systems we have. Although they are not perfect (and non is) they can still get the job done given a better society. Take our education system to America or Japan and it will still run better than it does here. We need to clean up the society. Our problem is insincerity; we pay lip service to our development. We claim we want change but on Election Day we vote on sentiments: North or South, Not born rich or born rich, Christians or Muslims.

How can you say a system is bad when you have not implemented it sincerely and have consistently starved it of funds?

Here is a simple analogy, assuming your TV could not turn on during a low voltage situation. Do you then assume that the system (the TV) is bad and buy a new one? Even if you buy a new TV, at very low voltage the new system (new TV) will still not work, leading to waste of time and money. To conclude that your TV is bad, you have to first provide it with adequate power via your generator or connect it through a powerful AVR. Until the TV is supplied with rated voltage and it still does not turn on, only then will it be reasonable to conclude that the system (the TV) is bad.

We cannot assume that our Education system is wrong until we have fully implemented it sincerely and wholeheartedly. Only then can we objectively analyse the problems of the system.

O se oo!!
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by yeswecan(m): 4:29pm On Mar 19, 2011
Buhari is so wrong on this one - Did he really say that? Well i am not surprised. The entire ruling class are so disconnected with reality - i think the redeemer is not yet on sight.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by efisher(m): 4:42pm On Mar 19, 2011
The video is now available online. Check the first post. Watch it yourself and notice the question asked and the answers given. After Buhari`s answer, the anchor asked him again if that was what he meant. He didnt even point a finger at corruption as some are making us believe. He had no clue and no concrete vision.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Cmeo(m): 6:08pm On Mar 19, 2011
passyjango:

You got it wrong; corruption is a by-product of a society that has gotten its values wrong. Like I said before the problem is not in the systems we have. Although they are not perfect (and non is) they can still get the job done given a better society. Take our education system to America or Japan and it will still run better than it does here. We need to clean up the society. Our problem is insincerity; we pay lip service to our development. We claim we want change but on Election Day we vote on sentiments: North or South, Not born rich or born rich, Christians or Muslims.

How can you say a system is bad when you have not implemented it sincerely and have consistently starved it of funds?

Here is a simple analogy, assuming your TV could not turn on during a low voltage situation. Do you then assume that the system (the TV) is bad and buy a new one? Even if you buy a new TV, at very low voltage the new system (new TV) will still not work, leading to waste of time and money. To conclude that your TV is bad, you have to first provide it with adequate power via your generator or connect it through a powerful AVR. Until the TV is supplied with rated voltage and it still does not turn on, only then will it be reasonable to conclude that the system (the TV) is bad.

We cannot assume that our Education system is wrong until we have fully implemented it sincerely and wholeheartedly. Only then can we objectively analyse the problems of the system.

I don't think there is any better way to analyse it. I remember i was thought the education system was 6-3-3-4 and I strongly believe nothing is wrong the system though alot is wrong with educational sector which we are all responsible for.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by jmaine: 6:38pm On Mar 19, 2011
Kobojunkie:

@Jmaine, I suggest you go back to school and learn how every statement EXISTS within some context

You would need to RE-POST the exact line where you have me actually STATING the above as you accuse me. I have explained that I NEVER SAID THAT. I only picked one particular instance to expound on the corruption part of the problem and BOOM, the BLIND BATS OF NAIRALAND decided all on their own that @KoboJunkie said Corruption is the problem. PLEASE LEARN TO READ-- It SAVES Time and Bandwidth.

[s]Do you realize how this makes all else you have posted USELESS TO THE DISCUSSION[/s] for this one mistake you made here??

You can do better , stop hiding under the cloak of a vague statement , my response was to all . So sad you picked only a point out of all  to come to a conclusion cos you felt it suited you and could form a part of your defense  . double faced people are not meant to be listened to cos they are unstable.

My post was for all Blind buhari apologist. no apologies mademoiselle.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Rbaby1: 6:41pm On Mar 19, 2011
In deed Nigeria Education system is ok! agree but wat of pples in charge (Our leaders) corruption is killin them Nigeria

crynawooooooooooooooo
wink
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by manny4life(m): 6:48pm On Mar 19, 2011
There is nothing with the Nigerian Education system, at least in my own opinion, I just think the system need improvement on how that education delivered to the final consumer (students learning at all levels). When I mean improvement, I mean the learning environment, resources available, work related experiences etc, other than that, the system works fine.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 7:14pm On Mar 19, 2011
jmaine:

You can do better , stop hiding under the cloak of a vague statement , my response was to all . So sad you picked only a point out of all  to come to a conclusion cos you felt it suited you and could form a part of your defense  . double faced people are not meant to be listened to cos they are unstable.

My post was for all Blind buhari apologist. no apologies mademoiselle.

If it was for all, why did you INCLUDE my MONIKER then when I SAID NO SUCH THING TO YOU? Simply for attention Sigh!!!

Please learn to READ people's posts as they really are Rather than INJECTING YOUR own piece into it then submitting that it is theirs. READ --- READ--- READ!!!
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Nobody: 7:21pm On Mar 19, 2011
The fact is this Dictator Buhari is truely the clueless one.ASk him any question from Power,Health,Education,Agriculture,Defence,Technology,external affairs or anything at all,he will tell you it is all about CORRUPTION and INDICIPLINE.This dictator does not have a single idea of how to solve the Nigeria question
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 7:47pm On Mar 19, 2011
To further educate Buhari and his cohorts,let me quote[b] L. O. Odia1 and S.I Omofonmwan[/b](2007) on the problems of the Nigerian education in one of his papers:

Education is the bedrock of development. But unfortunately Education in Nigeria is bisected with myriad’s of problems. These includes; poor
funding and thus poor educational infrastructures, inadequate classrooms, teaching aids (projectors, Computers,
Laboratories and libraries), paucity of quality teachers and poor / polluted learning environment. In addition to these
inadequacies, our school system is plagued with numerous social vices such as examination malpractices, cultism,
hooliganism and corruption.

To also inform Buhari and his blind supporters that our educational system needs to be looked into,let me also quote the world bank(1994):

Education system in Nigeria today, needs a
total overhauling and restructuring, this reform
is required to improve the performance of higher
education in the country, the nation entered the
21st century insufficiently prepared to cope or
compete in the global economy, where growth
will be based even more heavily on technical and
scientific knowledge.It is also
a well known fact that the inadequacies always
observed among many undergraduates and
graduates alike is as a result of the inadequacies
associated with the primary and the secondary
education system in Nigeria.

What else do you want to hear,Buhari?
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Nobody: 7:53pm On Mar 19, 2011
that's the Nigerian way 4 all y'all.

1. Adopt(copy or borrow) an existing system from another society where it has served them effectively for years.

2. Run with it without improving on it or creating any means for sustainability.

3. Ruin that system

3. Declare that system to be a failure then go back to 1.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Nobody: 9:42pm On Mar 19, 2011
passyjango:

GBAM! well said!
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Kobojunkie: 9:44pm On Mar 19, 2011
Babzilla:

that's the Nigerian way 4 all y'all.

1. Adopt(copy or borrow) an existing system from another society where it has served them effectively for years.

2. Run with it without improving on it or creating any means for sustainability.

3. Ruin that system

3. Declare that system to be a failure then go back to 1.

BINGO !!! Wait till we start hearing people declaring Democracy is a BAD SYSTEM of Government for Nigeria
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by efisher(m): 10:12pm On Mar 19, 2011
shocked Let's be careful not to move the goalpost already!

You can have a good car that has a fault and cannot meet all your needs. It doesnt mean it is a bad car but it clearly has a problem.

Nobody said the system is a BAD SYSTEM (Can be argued from some point of view!). The issue is something is wrong with the system. It has a problem and it needs to be solved. We all know what we are talking about. Lets stop dancing around the bush. Call it corruption, inefficiency, underfunding, etc. We need a leader that can see properly and fix it. Period.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by kennyitak: 11:03pm On Mar 19, 2011
nothing is wrong with the system, the funds for the system only needs to get to rite hands for proper implementations like fixing new infrastructures,trainin programs,updating syllabus.but if such fund is bin squandered.it diminishes the quality of the system.CORRUPTION!
let BB ticket fix dis
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by ADJAMES: 11:09pm On Mar 19, 2011
i totally agree with Buhari,the problem is corruption and not the system. With a proper appropriation of funds in education sector things wld greatly improve. Ride on man.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by sunboy(m): 11:33pm On Mar 19, 2011
Our educational system is O.K. But not running effectively because of constraints caused by corruption and indicipline. All it require is servicing not changing the system.
Its like; you bought a generator and not being serviced (i.e. Well funded) after a long time it seem not working, then you conclude its bad.

Not until the current system is running effectively can we determine any fault in it, until then our system is OK just needed to be screened off the bad eggs. BTW please stop comparing the western world system to ours everytime and on all matters. Lets run the current system effectively first before we compare.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Akainzo(m): 11:49pm On Mar 19, 2011
For those saying something is wrong with the system, let me ask you this? Those private schools, do they run a different educational system than the one in operation for the country?

If those public/private Nigerian schools can produce students that readily gain admission into the top class American, British, French and Swedish schools, what then do you say is wrong with the system?

However, the operation of the system within the public school system is bedeft with corruption, which is what is killing the eduicational sector. It is corruption that ensures that less qualified teachers are employed; it is corruption that enables qualified Principals be overlooked as administrators and girlfriends/jobers selected for educational administration.

It is mediocrity and not our educational system that enables the Senate to confirm as an ambassador someone that cannot recite the National Anthem or Pledge on the basis of a 'poor pass'. The problem is definitely not the system.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by mekaboy(m): 11:58pm On Mar 19, 2011

PATIENT:>> DOCTOR I HAVE A PROBLEM, WHEN I EAT THE FOOD DOES NOT DIGEST. WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME?

DOCTOR:>> THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH YOU, ITS JUST THAT YOU DON'T DRINK ENOUGH WATER. grin grin grin

DOES THIS MEAN ANYTHING IN THIS TOPIC ? shocked shocked sad

Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 12:13am On Mar 20, 2011
[sup][/sup] nothing,just jokes cos a doctor cannot make such hasty conclusion without proper examination of the patient.What if the patient drinks water and the problem persists?
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by mekaboy(m): 12:55am On Mar 20, 2011

ARE U A KID? SO U EXPECT ME TO NARRATE THE ENTIRE DISCUSSION AND HOW THE DOCTOR RAN A TEST TO COME UP WITH THE CONCLUSION ?

Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Tunmi(f): 5:45am On Mar 20, 2011
passyjango:

Yes, you will keep getting quoted. You said it perfectly.

The system, which is the structure (not its administrators), is fine. There are laws in place. However, there is no implementation, which is the duty of the administrators. Buhari is spot on with this. The system is very similar to that in the United Kingdom and as the articulate person I quoted said, "Take our education system to America or Japan and it will still run better than it does here."

System different from the people running the system.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Nobody: 7:30am On Mar 20, 2011
[color=#006600][/color]A vote against jonathan is a vote against the minority,
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Nobody: 7:34am On Mar 20, 2011
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Nobody: 8:31am On Mar 20, 2011
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Nobody: 10:14am On Mar 20, 2011
90% of nlers are products of 6334

nuff said
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by texazzpete(m): 11:07am On Mar 20, 2011
We're discussing how Buhari answered; what of what the clueless GEJ has promised to do? He's promised to build 10 more federal universities while the original Universities rot away.
No plans to fix the decaying universities, only mumbled promises to build more with meager amounts of money.
As far as Education is concerned, the PDP is the issue and Jonathan will be a continuation of that problem if elected. That is all.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Demdem(m): 12:13pm On Mar 20, 2011
i completely agree with u texazzpete.

he also promised to build airports in all the states of the federation. You guys have said it all. There is nothing wrong with the SYSTEM
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 12:49pm On Mar 20, 2011
The problem here is that most people think that the system of education is just the 6-3-3-4.This is only part of the system.An educational system encompasses the overall experience and ideology of the learning process.It connotes both the content of the curriculum and the teaching methodology.

A system that lays emphasis on the amount of information a student can remember rather than what he can do with the information is not a good system.The difference b/w the Nigeria school system and that of US,UK etc is that why Nigerian students are merely passive learners(a product of the educational system) the US,UK etc are active learners.They place strong emphasis on skill acquisition rather than memorisation.Our system produce people like Hon.Patrick who does not know how to use simple English words to make meaning why the US,UK etc systems produce people like Barrack Obama who know the importance of language.

What about flexibility?Is our educational system flexible?Can it accommodate people irrespective of their background.In the UK,US etc it is so easy for people to change careers.An engineer can become an Economist vis versa.My friend's wife did not pass Math in school and yet she became a pharmacist in the US.My coursemate read Economics in Nigeria and went to the US and is now studying a medical related course.Nigerians travel to the US and become nurses even when they don't have Chemistry and Biology.Does this tell you that something is wrong with our system?

Putting more money in our education system as it were will be the same as pouring water in a leaking tank.It will never hold water no matter how hard you try.

In the US and UK,passing SAT or high UCAS point will enable you gain admission into institutions and course of your choice.In Nigeria,a student will be made to pass SSCE,JAMB,P-UMTE,interview etc and yet may not study the course of his choice.All these huddles placed on the way of a student makes transition from one level to the other difficult,if not impossible.Did you know the number of students who lost the desire to further their education as a result of all these huddles and frustration?

Are there provision for those who can not pass any of these exams?If yes,what is the content of the curriculum?You can't be teaching someone how to build huts why his mates are building skyscrapers in other countries.

Buhari was wrong to assume there is no problem with our education system when our science students will go abroad discover that what they were taught in school in Nigeria is quite d/f from what their mates all over the world learn't.

I can go on and on to enumerate the problems of our school system.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by efisher(m): 1:09pm On Mar 20, 2011
One thing about arguements is that people will hardly change positions when there is an interest involved. Even if you explain from now till next year, people will not agree to the obvious because Buhari made the statement. Wait till after the election or till GEJ makes the same statement. They will forget they ever turned a blind eye to what the heart of the matter is. During the debate, the question asked was simple and everyone including the moderator disagreed sharply with Buhari's answer because he was obviously wrong. Some people are only trying to help him sound right.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Breaking News:buhari Supporters On Rampage; Killings Going On In Jos And Benue / James Entwistle Commends Ibrahim Magu (picture) / Breaking Supreme Court Okay APC To Contest Rivers Election

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 124
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.