Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,736 members, 7,817,029 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:48 PM

Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari (12442 Views)

We Will Restore Sanity To The System – Buhari Declares / Accept Democracy As Lifestyle, Not Government System, Buhari Tells Nigerians / Even With Quota System, Buhari Does Not Have A Primary School Certificate. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 1:16pm On Mar 19, 2011
There is no problem with the system, it is the people that have issues, my school moved from its location more than 6 times, yet, we still had a good secondary school education because our teachers were dedicated.

What are you saying?Do you really know what systems are?
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by jmaine: 1:21pm On Mar 19, 2011
chamber2:

What are you saying?Do you really know what systems are?

awesome question . . .Did you pick my brain to say this exactly . . . . . maybe they will further defend him on this
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by hercules07: 1:22pm On Mar 19, 2011
@Chamber

6 3 3 4 is a system true or false?
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by hercules07: 1:32pm On Mar 19, 2011
jmaine and chamber I dey wait for una oooooooooooooo.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by efisher(m): 1:35pm On Mar 19, 2011
The fact that some Nigerians don't even know what "The Nigerian Education System" is, reminds us of the fact that we really have serious problems.

@hercules07, check page 1 of this thread and read through my posts. I have done some explaining there.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by hercules07: 1:38pm On Mar 19, 2011
efisher, I am waiting for jmaine and chamber, I have been following the thread, I just need us to break everything down to its components. Do you know that IT has got all of its courses online and any serious tertiary student can use the resources there?
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 1:39pm On Mar 19, 2011
jmaine and chamber I dey wait for una oooooooooooooo.

6-3-3-4 is the system,whereas your school as you stated in your previous post refers to the institution.The system in this instance represents the ideology of the Nigerian education. Moving your schools 6 times in an academic period means that there is also something wrong with the institution.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by hercules07: 1:44pm On Mar 19, 2011
@chamber

So what is wrong with 6 3 3 4 ? My school moved because water took over our school and we had to be squatting all over the place, despite these challenges, I made straight As in my SSCE, we had good teachers and I was a very serious student.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 1:52pm On Mar 19, 2011

So what is wrong with 6 3 3 4 ? My school moved because water took over our school and we had to be squatting all over the place, despite these challenges, I made straight As in my SSCE, we had good teachers and I was a very serious student.

Oh!you are still ignorant of what we are talking about,sorry.I won't waste my time any further on you.(no offence)

Your making''As'' has nothing to do with Our educational system being good or bad,after all,people make first class and 2.1 and yet there is nothing to show for it by the time they get to the macro society.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by kokogee: 1:56pm On Mar 19, 2011
The truth is that Buhari knows exactly what he was talking about but bcs he is a man of few words and more of action, he was not able to break it down.

Simply put, a system refers to the structure. The education system in Nigeria as we all know has been changed from the old 6-5-4 (which produced far better graduates) to 6-3-3-4 and now 9-3-4; these have produced no better result, rather producing graduates that cannot defend their certificates. Then without mincing words, there is no problem with either the old system or the new system but the problem is the administrators of the system.They and their masters are very corrupt and indisciplined such that they diverted major part of the resources meantfor the system to their personal accounts.

Let's take for example, annual financial appropriation bill/budget prepared by the military and their civilian counterparts in the history of Nigeria; anyone with good analytical skill would tell you anyday that those budget were actually meant to transform Nigeria but the problem has been failure to implement those laudable plans on the paper. The fact is that all the resources that supposed to be used to implement the plans were diverted.

In conclusion, what Buhari emphasized on is the need to fight indiscipline and corruption (which are part of PDP constitution) by ensuring that people are made to (i) account for whatever is entrusted in them (ii) implement whatever plans that they put forward in form of appropriation bill/budget. If a leader ensures those two suggestions by Buhari are implemented to the letter , Nigeria would be great in few years to come. HE HAS DONE IT B4, LET HIM DO IT AGAIN!!!
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by hercules07: 1:59pm On Mar 19, 2011
@chamber

I also have labs to do in a couple of minutes so I can not continue the debate (notice I did not call you ignorant), the educational system is okay, the problem is implementation, the guy making 2:1 in school might have been better served if he went for vocational training as spelt out in the 6 3 3 4, becomes an entrepreneur (sp) and then gone for his first degree, all of this is spelt out in our system.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 2:02pm On Mar 19, 2011
I maintain that there is something wrong with our system.

Corruption itself is a bye product of a bad system.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 2:06pm On Mar 19, 2011
@hercules07

I did not call you an ignorant person,rather i said you seem to be ignorant of the topic of discussion.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by efisher(m): 2:13pm On Mar 19, 2011
A good system should have in-built controls to ensure its output meets the required standards.

Question: If we succed in eliminating corruption (which is very unrealistic) but retain our current system (policies, procedures, controls and structures), will our education sector suddenly be able to cater for the education needs of the populace?
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by opalu: 2:17pm On Mar 19, 2011
chamber2:

@Chamber2, you've spoken blindly on this issues.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by opalu: 2:19pm On Mar 19, 2011
THE HEN OR THE EGG, WHICH COMES FIRST?

CORRUPTION AFFECTED THE SYSTEM ITS NOT A SPOILT SYSTEM THAT BROUGHT CORRUPTION
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 2:19pm On Mar 19, 2011
A good system should have in-built controls to ensure its output meets the required standards.

Question: If we succed in eliminating corruption (which is very unrealistic) but retain our current system (policies, procedures, controls and structures), will our education sector suddenly be able to cater for the education needs of the populace?

Your post above answers all the questions. A good system should have inbuilt absorbers.I repeat,even corruption is as a result of bad system
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by opalu: 2:25pm On Mar 19, 2011
WHEN BUHARI SAID THAT ALL THE LAWS ARE THERE AND THEY ARE IN ORDER BUT THE PROBLEM IS THAT OF IMPLIMENTATION,
I AGREE TOTALLY.

IF YOU CHECK THE DIFFERENT SYSTEMS, 6-5-4, 6-3-3-4, 9-3-4 AND SO ON, IT IS CLEAR THAT THEY ARE FANTASTIC SYSTEMS, BUT TO IMPLIMENT THEM,

THEN ANOTHER PRESIDENT EMERGES, HE WANTS TO CHANGE THE SYSTEM, WHO WILL CONTINUE IT TO MAXIMIZE ITS BENEFIT?

IBB WOULD HAVE RETAINED THE 6-5-4 SYSTEM HE INHERITED FROM BUHARI. ALL THE SAME, BUHARI HAS SAID HE DOESNT BELIEVE THE NEW CURRENT ONE SHOULD BE CHANGED, SO LEAVE IT AS IT IS
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 2:27pm On Mar 19, 2011
THE HEN OR THE EGG, WHICH COMES FIRST?

If the egg is defective it will surely affect the hen
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 2:31pm On Mar 19, 2011
A bad system brings bad result

A good system brings good result

like begets like. A snake cannot give birth to a lion,NEVER.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by member479760: 2:32pm On Mar 19, 2011
Here we go! It’s not a new thing coming out from the general month; he is one of those leaders that refused to understand the need of quality education. This is another wakeup call to those that say this is the president we need in this century. His brothers and sisters in the Arab countries woke up already that make them demanding for a change. They have lived in darkness for many years under barikadede, the youths should copy from their muslims’ brothers and join progressive society,
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by kokogee: 2:38pm On Mar 19, 2011
chamber2:

Hey my friend! if corruption is the by-product of a bad system, how did bad system come into being? I can tell you that your analytical skill is so bad which makes you not to know which one result to which. Let me tell you; if you have a carpenter(square peg/corrupt person) telling you that he can repair your TV (round hole), what result is he going to produce?What am saying is that if sm1 with no strong will but claims to have the will (corrupt person) and also lacks the knowledge of how to do or use ppl to achieve things(clueless person like GEJ); this definitely would lead to mismanagement of human and material resources, thus producing a system like ours(Nigerians).

Let me tell u, Buhari said it clearly during yesterday debate that : the laws and financial regulations are clear but failure to implement is the major cause of our underdevelopment. This statement tells any reasonable person that mismanagement, indiscipline, corruption make ppl to deviate from plan as a result of which PHCN, Water corporation, roads, education would not work.

Probably u'r yet to get it, this example would make it easier for u: if you buy a new generator(our education system) and u did not put adequate  oil/petrol (funding), would the generator run well? or would u say the generator is not good?

WAKE UP MY PPL AND START THINKING!!!
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 2:41pm On Mar 19, 2011
Jamb used to be epileptic during the time of prof.Salim Bello,but when Prof.Oyerinde took over what happened?You write jamb and get your result within 2 months.What happened to jamb? A change in the system not the individual.Jamb still retained the former staffs,but the system was modified from the former business as usual approach to a more pragmatic and people orientated approach.

That is what good systems can do.It is capable of changing people.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by chamber2(m): 2:52pm On Mar 19, 2011
Hey my friend! if corruption is the by-product of a bad system, how did bad system come into being? I can tell you that your analytical skill is so bad which makes you not to know which one result to which. Let me tell you; if you have a carpenter(square peg/corrupt person) telling you that he can repair your TV (round hole), what result is he going to produce?What am saying is that if sm1 with no strong will but claims to have the will (corrupt person) and also lacks the knowledge of how to do or use ppl to achieve things(clueless person like GEJ); this definitely would lead to mismanagement of human and material resources, thus producing a system like ours(Nigerians).

Let me tell u, Buhari said it clearly during yesterday debate that : the laws and financial regulations are clear but failure to implement is the major cause of our underdevelopment. This statement tells any reasonable person that mismanagement, indiscipline, corruption make ppl to deviate from plan as a result of which PHCN, Water corporation, roads, education would not work.

Probably u'r yet to get it, this example would make it easier for u: if you buy a new generator(our education system) and u did not put adequate  oil/petrol (funding), would the generator run well? or would u say the generator is not good?

Even as bad as my analytical skill is,i doubt if i can ever reason like this.No system in the world is perfect and that is why countries all over the world continuously look into their system to find out if there is anything that needs amendment.Our system encourages corruption,mismanagement and even laziness,don't you get it?A system should represent and mirror the aspirations of the people of a country,not something deliberately designed to satisfy the egocentric desire of some set of people.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by opalu: 2:57pm On Mar 19, 2011
chamber2:

Jamb used to be epileptic during the time of prof.Salim Bello,but when Prof.Oyerinde took over what happened?You write jamb and get your result within 2 months.What happened to jamb? A change in the system not the individual.Jamb still retained the former staffs,but the system was modified from the former business as usual approach to a more pragmatic and people orientated approach.

That is what good systems can do.It is capable of changing people.

DONT CONFUSE URSELF MY FRIEND.

U CANT DIFFERENTIATE BTW 'SYSTEM' AND 'SITUATION'.
THE EDUCATION SITUATION OF NIGERIA IS VVVVVVVVVVVVVEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRYYYYYYYYYYYYY BAD.
BUT THE EDUCATION SYSTEM (6-3-3-4 OR 9-3-4) IS NOT BAD.

JUST AS U SAID THAT A 'GOOD MAN' TOOK OVER JAMB AND THINGS BECAME BETTER, THAT IS HOW BUHARI WANTS TO CHANGE THE EDUCATION SITUATION (90% FAILURE) NOT BY CHANGING THE SYSTEM BUT BY KICKING OUT CORRUPTION AND CORRUPT PEOPLE
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by passyjango(m): 2:57pm On Mar 19, 2011
chamber2:

You got it wrong; corruption is a by-product of a society that has gotten its values wrong. Like I said before the problem is not in the systems we have. Although they are not perfect (and non is) they can still get the job done given a better society. Take our education system to America or Japan and it will still run better than it does here. We need to clean up the society. Our problem is insincerity; we pay lip service to our development. We claim we want change but on Election Day we vote on sentiments: North or South, Not born rich or born rich, Christians or Muslims.

How can you say a system is bad when you have not implemented it sincerely and have consistently starved it of funds?

Here is a simple analogy, assuming your TV could not turn on during a low voltage situation. Do you then assume that the system (the TV) is bad and buy a new one? Even if you buy a new TV, at very low voltage the new system (new TV) will still not work, leading to waste of time and money. To conclude that your TV is bad, you have to first provide it with adequate power via your generator or connect it through a powerful AVR. Until the TV is supplied with rated voltage and it still does not turn on, only then will it be reasonable to conclude that the system (the TV) is bad.

We cannot assume that our Education system is wrong until we have fully implemented it sincerely and wholeheartedly. Only then can we objectively analyse the problems of the system.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by Nobody: 3:01pm On Mar 19, 2011
passyjango:

You got it wrong; corruption is a by-product of a society that has gotten its values wrong. Like I said before the problem is not in the systems we have. Although they are not perfect (and non is) they can still get the job done given a better society. Take our education system to America or Japan and it will still run better than it does here. We need to clean up the society. Our problem is insincerity; we pay lip service to our development. We claim we want change but on Election Day we vote on sentiments: North or South, Not born rich or born rich, Christians or Muslims.

How can you say a system is bad when you have not implemented it sincerely and have consistently starved it of funds?

Here is a simple analogy, assuming your TV could not turn on during a low voltage situation. Do you then assume that the system (the TV) is bad and buy a new one? Even if you buy a new TV, at very low voltage the new system (new TV) will still not work, leading to waste of time and money. To conclude that your TV is bad, you have to first provide it with adequate power via your generator or connect it through a powerful AVR. Until the TV is supplied with rated voltage and it still does not turn on, only then will it be reasonable to conclude that the system (the TV) is bad.

We cannot assume that our Education system is wrong until we have fully implemented it sincerely and wholeheartedly. Only then can we objectively analyse the problems of the system.

I wish most nigerians reasoned like this Sir. Very objective and to the point cool
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by reindeer: 3:20pm On Mar 19, 2011
passyjango:

very well stated.
There is nothing wrong with the system, let us implement it properly to start with, then we can set tagets for the outcomes.Most people here will rather the country spends huge sums of money setting up and starting another system which will still fall flat if people keep runing it the same way they run this one.Let us cleanse the polity first and see if these systems don't work.Everyone knows the problems but few people are willing to admit the solution lies in basics and simple things as stated by the General yesterday.We dont need a new educational system, we need a different mentality from what currently obtain and i sincerely think Buhari will bring that in, sai Buhari! cheesy
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by hbrednic: 3:30pm On Mar 19, 2011
Buhari is clueless,yesterday,he showcased his ingnorance on issues of national importance.
Am i surprised ? NO.
Re: Nothing Is Wrong With The Nigerian Education System - Buhari by hercules07: 3:57pm On Mar 19, 2011
@chamber

I do not know when you sat for your Jamb, but when I did mine in 1992, I got my result mailed to me at home and I got it, Jamb results were as regular as anything.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

5 Star Agulu Lake Resort/Convention Center Under-Construction In Awka (pictures) / Dickson Ex-Chief Of Staff Defect From PDP To APC / Bill To Establish University Of Agriculture, Kabba Passed By Senate

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.