Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,537 members, 7,819,921 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:48 AM

UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' (51471 Views)

Uk Parliament Condemns Killing Of #endsars Protesters At Lekki Toll Gate / Senator Ajibola Basiru: My Aides Stole Money From My Room During Vacation / Thieves Stole Money In Senator’s Car, Says Ekweremadu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by EastisBae: 8:41am On Nov 24, 2020
Thank God he was exposed as the criminal he is, while still alive. The old murderer and looter has been going about trying to pool will over Nigerians in the name of praying for the country.

After looting the country dry during your lifetime, you became old and turned to a prayer warrior abi? Prayer Kee you there old hypocrite!

2 Likes

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Meteng: 8:42am On Nov 24, 2020
Neddstark:

This was a verbal assertion from a young MP. Please I am not arguing or defending nobody. Adesina was accused of non-transparency in his first term as president of AFDB by the West but was cleared. GEJ was accused of preventing the rescue of the Chibok girls by the UK media but he gave his defense. Gowon was never a saint, but an allegation of that magnitude needs ample proof sir.
Finally, someone with sensible thing to say, not those who have jumped to conclusions already

3 Likes

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by horsepower102: 8:42am On Nov 24, 2020
pyxon:
If Nigerian historians could paint Gowon as a war hero and saint, only for him to be exposed to be a pilferer like this, then I wonder how much Nigerian government and historians have twisted the Nigerian civil war story

FINALLY SOMEONE IS BEGINING TO SEE THE TRUTH ABOUT NIGERIA

I used to be very pro-Nigerian growing up until I started seeing the truth about this evil country and the years of lies and propaganda.

Majority of Nigerians Know the truth but are scared of Admitting it.

1 Like

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by ibietela2(m): 8:42am On Nov 24, 2020
pyxon:
If Nigerian historians could paint Gowon as a war hero and saint, only for him to be exposed to be a pilferer like this, then I wonder how much Nigerian government and historians have twisted the Nigerian civil war story

Like he wasn't responsible partly for the war
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by fredylee: 8:42am On Nov 24, 2020
Gowon left to the UK from Uganda, directly after his overthrow. Does it mean that he had "the money" with him while at the OAU summit in Kampala? Was he then aware his govt was going to be toppled ahead of the summit? Did he have access to the CBN after his overthrow? Clarifications needed.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Josywhyte: 8:42am On Nov 24, 2020
membranus:

My keypad is arrogant and hot headed and will not allow me to argue with it that my "pastor is a criminal"

What can I do? Kindly advice.

That's because u worship your pastor and not God. U call him "daddy" when it's forbidden in the bible for u to call your pastor daddy. Open your eyes oga....
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by shanga(m): 8:43am On Nov 24, 2020
seunmsg:

Are you aware Gowon struggled to fund his university education while in the UK? A reporter snapped him queuing for food at the university cafeteria and the picture trended all over the world. Murtala Mohammed was so embarrassed that he quickly dispatched TY Danjuma to London to beg him to return to Nigeria. Gowon refused to return and the decided to be paying t him pension and stipend so that he can fund his education properly.

When Obasanjo the payment of his pension and stipend as a result of the Dimka coup, Nigerians in the UK contributed money for him to finish his program.

So, how is it possible for Gowon to move half of CBN money to UK and still be struggling to fund his university education?

Please zoom the second pix and see who you say they suffer,three plate of food for that matter and see smile for him face....

1 Like

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by AfroKnight: 8:43am On Nov 24, 2020
Neddstark:

That was said in Libya 10 years ago.

Libya would have remained under the thumb of Gaddafi. No single man is anointed to have all it takes to rule a country all of his adult life. It is impossible that he is the only one suited to rule. That is dictatorship.

1 Like

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Kayharry(m): 8:44am On Nov 24, 2020
ednut1:
Gowon was overthrown while at AU meeting. how did he then move the money to London we all know he stole but can this man's account be accurate. The west are enablers of corruptions but still come out latter to talk shit lmao grin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfGF3HwSMrc

Did they say the money was moved after he w m
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Karlifate: 8:44am On Nov 24, 2020
It was this greed that made Gowon to continue shifting power transition from military to civilian then, because of the oil boom.

Then, the coup led by Col. J. N. Garba brought Muritala & OBJ.

The bottom line is, all military rulers looted the treasury, the difference is just the amount of funds siphoned.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Ogbeniomo: 8:46am On Nov 24, 2020
Neddstark:

I am not defending any politician. They are the cause of Nigeria's problem. But however, I am of the opinion that every allegation should be backed up with proof/facts.
You re not defending any body actually but ur comment was like a stranger in Nigeria, how long do u think that it will take a thief to empty bank?,u asked as if he was overthrew Same day he made president, anyway I'm happy that somebody up had made things easier for u to understand better.

2 Likes

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by ibietela2(m): 8:46am On Nov 24, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:
Gowon-Took 50% of the Central Bank
IBB- Took 60% of the Central Bank
Abacha- Took 70% of the Central Bank
Abdusalami: Took 90% of the Central Bank and left OBJ with nothing in the coffers.
Buhari- I wonder how much Buhari has taken

Coupist and legal robbers
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by sterlingD(m): 8:46am On Nov 24, 2020
Harrykn:

BUHARI has stolen the bank it's self, They now listen to him. Very soon we'll start borrowing money from Niger to fund CBN.
Chai!
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by AmuDimpka: 8:46am On Nov 24, 2020
Gowon isn't a Nigeria hero (Igbo don't recognise him )
Awolowo isn't a Nigerian hero (igbo don't recognise him )

Well let those that recognise him comment
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by membranus: 8:46am On Nov 24, 2020
Josywhyte:

That's because u worship your pastor and not God. U call him "daddy" when it's forbidden in the bible for u to call your pastor daddy. Open your eyes oga....

Ok sir.

I will shine my eyes from now on.

Thanks for the candid advice.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by uncleinans(m): 8:46am On Nov 24, 2020
Neddstark:

I believe you understand English. Stop trying to aggressively put your views on me. I have my own unbiased mode of thinking. Gowon is not my brother. I have not gotten a dime from the Nigerian government. I am simply asking for proof to back up the words spoken by the MP.
Just like tomorrow someone saying you delight in indulging underage boys in anal intercourse. Its a believable truth because a few men are perverts. Your only defense will be a reasonable proof.

See, under Gowon, Nigeria made a hell of money from oil. In fact, Nigeria has never made, gotten that kind of money she made under Gowon. If you need prove, go do your research. Or also believe IBB didn't steal and Abdulsalam and the rest didn't steal.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by grandstar(m): 8:46am On Nov 24, 2020
When Gowon came back in 1983, he was said to have been broke. We so want to believe the worst in people.

Corruption then was rather mild compared to what we have today where people fllaunt sleaze without shame.

Yes, but he did make his friends rich like Tunji Braithwaite.

Most importantly, I doubt you can just walk into the Central Bank and steal wantonly. It's obviously exaggerated to make him look bad

1 Like

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by akinsmyk(m): 8:46am On Nov 24, 2020
~BUYING ALL GIFT CARD AND BITCOINS NOW~ ���

✅ *ITUNES*
✅ *GOOGLE PLAY*
✅ *STEAM*
✅ *EBAY*
✅ *AMAZON*
✅ *NIKE*
✅ *SEPHORA*
✅ *AMEX*
✅ *MACY*
✅ *APPLE*
✅ *VANILLA*
✅ *SEPHORA*
✅ *NORDSTROM* Etc

ALL COUNTRY ARE ACCEPTED
*UK, Canada, Australia and others, JUST ASK*

*You can also trade your Bitcoin here*

Fast Loading ��
Fast Payment ��

*WhatsApp 08136682747*
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by AmuDimpka: 8:47am On Nov 24, 2020
pyxon:
may Lord bless you
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by fof1: 8:47am On Nov 24, 2020
pyxon:
UK Parliamentarian Exposes How Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank'

Here is the exact Video where the UK parliamentarian made the allegations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lP1WhuRAkoA

During the debate today, Monday the UK Parliament discussed about the #EndSars protest as well as the excesses of the Nigerian government officials. In that session, a shocking revelation was made where a UK Parliament member revealed that Nigerian Hero, civil war veteran and former Head of state stole so much money - it could be equated as "Half the cnetral bank of Nigeria', - during his reign as leader of the nation and hid it in London.

Here is the full video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTKMUEpHWoE

So where is d Monies Now and What has UK done about Recovering & Refunds to Nigeria.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Nobody: 8:47am On Nov 24, 2020
I personally think that Jack Gowon did steal while in office. He certainly did excuse the looting under his watch by some of the folks in his circle and so on

But i strongly doubt he 'stole half the cental bank'. That in itself would have precipitated a serious financial crisis for Nigeria and the fact is the 1970s were a time of general economic prosperity even growth.

The issues though behind this allegations are two in number. First, bitterness towards Gowon because of the 1966 to 70 period and the general idea of Nigeria as having a national cake to share.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by BafanaBafana: 8:48am On Nov 24, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:
Abdusalami: Took 90% of the Central Bank and left OBJ with nothing in the coffers.
I was going to ask why you didn't include obj and Jonathan but then I realised they are not northerners.
Shame no dey catch you?
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by ibietela2(m): 8:48am On Nov 24, 2020
ednut1:
Gowon was overthrown while at AU meeting. how did he then move the money to London we all know he stole but can this man's account be accurate. The west are enablers of corruptions but still come out latter to talk shit lmao grin
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfGF3HwSMrc

How would you know when they hid history from you and you have refused to learn on your own.

He was in Exile after he was accused of a failed coup that killed Murtala Mohammed by his fellow brethrens in COUP.

So he ran to UK
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Sleekmilan01(m): 8:49am On Nov 24, 2020
Nigerians are just too daft...so because he was ousted in a surprise coup while away in an AU meeting means he can't steal??

I mean common,a politician that spent 9years in power Power oo...9 solid years in power and u are waiting for him to steal while he was ousted out of power??

How many years did abacha stayed in govt before he stole what is still being recovered today??
Didn't death surprise him too??,or u would also say because he was surprised by death he couldn't ve stole anything,not to talk of someone that spent 9 good years in power and u don't wanna believe he actually stole anything,then its either ya brain has been soaked in petrol or u just don't wanna use it....

Others saying he was sent money cuz he was living like a poor HOS in UK...there's so many sacrifice a man could make in order to hide his treasure,and if its stole act like a poor man for some few years and live a good life filled with money for the rest of his life,he will do it....

I guess that's why he smiled when he was told that he has been ousted,dude probably knows his next game plan...

Nigerians you people should get wise please,this old politicians are no saints and don't deserves our praises and defending....

5 Likes

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Jonathan39: 8:49am On Nov 24, 2020
You know nothing, the youths positioning themselves to loot, will be worst than that of the past leader's. Nigeria is not a Country
Difrent:

Don't be so perssimistic ,NIGERIA WILL BE GREAT AGAIN.....I used to tell people ,a bad situation cannot continue forever ,the situation will change one day afterall those who want to continue milking the country dry won't live forever .
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by ibietela2(m): 8:50am On Nov 24, 2020
Realdeals:
This among others are the reasons history was expunged from our education curriculum.

So true, so whoever gets into power continues the circle
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by true2god: 8:50am On Nov 24, 2020
The British people doing what they know best; blackmail you after using you. The same British government that praised and supported Gowon during the civil war suddenly discovered the looted CBN over 45 years ago. This is a classic British system of use and blackmail; nothing new. That’s how cosmic forces fashion an average British man or woman to behave.

The British empire is the most genocidal empire the world has ever know but they won’t tell you this.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by BreconHills(m): 8:50am On Nov 24, 2020
Angelfrost:

Yeah... Na so... Because stealing and looting of such magnitude is done in a single day, month or year!!!... Guy, abeg leave matter!

Nigeria's current backwardness and poverty didn't occur in a blaze of few years... No single Nigerian leader in history has ever kept his dirty thieving hands off the nation's treasury... None till date!!!

Stop defending people who don't give a rat's ass about you, your future, and your generation yet unborn.

Not a fan of any foreign nation, especially criminal entities like Britain, Russia, and America, but stealing is the hallmark and legacy of every single leader of this nation (past and present)!!!

The only reason I can defend him is this. I was in form 5 at the time, my father was permanent secretary in that government on a visiting fellowship to Oxford Uni. My dad was actually victimised by Gen Gowon so I have no reason to defend him. Murtala Muhammed brought my dad back to Nigeria reinstating him and my father retired as Shagari was coming in..

There are many things you can say about Gowon but stealing at scale is not one of them. People have been stealing since 1914 but to steal half of Nigerian CBN at 1975 exchange rate £1 =80kobo would have made Gowon a billionaire in pound sterling!

I realize that we are in an age where truth is personal but I owe it to my own conscience to say the truth. Gowon was rehabilitated by successive Nigerian governments. He did not own a house in Ikoyi or VI until he was allocated one ( like all ex heads of state) by the FGN almost 5 years after his return.

I stand by the truth. By the grace of God and age, I have nothing to gain by supporting someone who in my opinion did not treat my father fairly.

3 Likes

Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by AmuDimpka: 8:50am On Nov 24, 2020
rossniti:

WHAT ABOUT THE TRILLIONS THE BRITISH STOLE FROM 1897 TO 1960?

WHY WAS NIGERIA STILL AN ''UNDERDEVELOPED COUNTRY'' WITH NO POWER STATIONS, UNIVERSITIES, OR EXPRESSWAYS, AND AN ILLITERACY RATE OF 95% IN 1960 AT INDEPENDENCE, AFTER 70 YEARS OF UNINTERRUPTED BRITISH RULE?

WHAT DID THE BRITISH DO WITH THE TRILLIONS THEY MADE FROM EXPORTING OUR NATURAL RESOURCES?

WHO ARE THEY TO TALK ABOUT NIGERIAN CORRUPTION WHEN THEY ARE THE ORIGINAL THIEVES AND LOOTERS WHO HAVE STILL NOT RETURNED A PENNY THEY STOLE?

You must be a Yoruba man
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by ibietela2(m): 8:50am On Nov 24, 2020
Neddstark:
Gowon was removed from power in a coup while he was in Uganda. What time did he have to loot half of the central bank and come to London after his coup? Why didnt the government of Muritala request the funds transferred to London. There is no way that money that huge will leave the shores of Nigeria and not be noticed by the succeeding government. Also, he came back to Nigeria and nothing was done about it.
I am not defending nobody. This UK parliament man was probably a child when this thing happened. We need strong proof to verify this actually happened. Verbal assertions is not enough. We were sure of what Obasanjo did. We had proof of what Abacha did. So let the proofs come out.

Go and read the coups your generals were involved in
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by fredylee: 8:51am On Nov 24, 2020
grandstar:
When Gowon came back in 1983, he was said to have been broke. We so want to believe the worst in people.

Corruption then was rather mild compared to what we have today where people fllaunt sleaze without shame.

Yes, but he did make his friends rich like Tunji Braithwaite.

Most importantly, they I doubt you can just walk into the Central Bank and steal wantonly. It's obviously exaggerated to make him look bad

Gowon's defence will obviously show this British MP to have exaggerated. It is unfortunate that this matter has toned down the focus on the UK MPs' debate on sanctions to our culpable leaders.
Re: UK Parliament: Gowon Stole Money 'Half Of The Central Bank Of Nigeria' by Bestbeelieve: 8:51am On Nov 24, 2020
RuudVanNisteroy:
chairman bhari has the CBN as his personal account + nnpc + customs + foreign loans for the zombies to pay back! sai baba

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (16) (Reply)

Aisha Buhari Has Separated From President Buhari - Kemi Olunloyo / PDP Welcomes Buhari To Presidential Race: Faults His Claims On State Of The Nati / Osun Rerun: CDD Gives Damning Verdict On Election, Makes Shocking Revelations

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.