Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,607 members, 7,812,993 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 02:08 AM

Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' - Foreign Affairs (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' (38148 Views)

Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” / Donald Trump Calls Justin Trudeau “two-faced” For Mocking Him / Trump Calls Kim Darroch, UK Ambassador 'A Very Stupid Guy' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by godliman: 1:27pm On Nov 27, 2020
ebenice:
Ok

I follow trump on twitter, you need to see how people make fun of him under his comment section and call him all manners of names , funny thing is twitter don't get to put those comments in check,

But they will gladly put a ad stating "false claim" at each trump tweet whenever he tweet about electoral fraud. is that not being bias??

All left media hardly report something good about trump, but will be quick to pick out the ones the public "consider offensive".

They wouldn't just let the man be for the whole 4years
Thank you bros, God bless your soul for being honest and truthful on this matter. Most people commenting senselessly here are blinded by hate or plagued by ignorance.

1 Like

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by ENG0701: 1:27pm On Nov 27, 2020
mesmer:

You lots hypocrisy stinks to high heaven.

When Buhari's administration was considering censoring the internet in Nigeria via there hate speech thingy, y'all quick to call him out to what he truly is now Donald Trump is doing almost the same thing and y'all chewing him up.

Honestly! Some people can make a devil look like a saint on earth.

Mesmer is the name

I dont understand how people think sometimes. They love Trump for exactly the same thing they hate Buhari for.

6 Likes

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by spiritmasquerad(m): 1:28pm On Nov 27, 2020
justli:

Chill...
Firstly, we must all understand that the owners of these platforms are becoming more powerful by the day. They can literally take down a government. It isn't about Trump. It's about doing the right thing.

It is only right for these big guys to face a legal suit when they infringe on people's right like they always do .

The irony here is that trump is trying to protect freedom of speech. People should be able to say what they want to say online and no be afraid of their accounts being shut down.

Twitter takes down conservative accounts for no reason. Countless complaints, but they can't do anything about it because of this immunity. Now, they would have to think twice before shutting someone down
That nt true and you know they most be order and human must be put in check and most of those conservative are racist and are only complaining because it stop them from post false claim that trump won and false claim of fraud with no evidence

2 Likes

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by GambaOsaka: 1:28pm On Nov 27, 2020
Righteousness89:
Twitter has really messed up itself and Disrespected Trump as President!

Twitter turned itself to a leftist media arm!

It's a Welcome Development!!
It's within the Powers of the President!

Shame on you.
Shame on you.
Shame on you.

Must you agree with anything the man does?

3 Likes

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Xisnin(m): 1:29pm On Nov 27, 2020
The headline was clearly misleading. Trump has no such power.
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by chatinent: 1:33pm On Nov 27, 2020
Hmmm
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by GambaOsaka: 1:36pm On Nov 27, 2020
justli:

Chill...
Firstly, we must all understand that the owners of these platforms are becoming more powerful by the day. They can literally take down a government. It isn't about Trump. It's about doing the right thing.

It is only right for these big guys to face a legal suit when they infringe on people's right like they always do .

The irony here is that trump is trying to protect freedom of speech. People should be able to say what they want to say online and no be afraid of their accounts being shut down.

Twitter takes down conservative accounts for no reason. Countless complaints, but they can't do anything about it because of this immunity. Now, they would have to think twice before shutting someone down

Wrong move again by the diaper - president .

Trump has thrown caution to the wind, and refused advice from experts.
Funny thing is repealing the section 230 gives facebook and Twitter the right to close anyone's account without explanations. His accounts on Twitter will be the first casualty.

2 Likes

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by justli: 1:37pm On Nov 27, 2020
spiritmasquerad:

That nt true and you know they most be order and human must be put in check and most of those conservative are racist and are only complaining because it stop them from post false claim that trump won and false claim of fraud with no evidence

There you go. You want free speech and you also want to censor someone...

Freedom of speech is a fundamental right of all Americans...
If the platforms want to censor, no problems... But the people have to be able to file a legal suit against them when they feel their right has been tampered...

I don't see the problem here...the only reason you don't want this is because you like conservative voices silenced...
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by justli: 1:42pm On Nov 27, 2020
GambaOsaka:

Wrong move again by the diaper - president .

Trump has thrown caution to the wind, and refused advice from experts.
Funny thing is repealing the section 230 gives facebook and Twitter the right to close anyone's account without explanations. His accounts on Twitter will be the first casualty.

Very good. And when they do, he should be able to seek redress in a competent court...
That's what democracy is about. This is a win for freedom of speech for both sides... Unless if think conservative views are evil and should be shut down

1 Like

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Nobody: 1:42pm On Nov 27, 2020
Hhppycare:
Dear brothers and sisters , if you can see this post right now . I am on my knees crying please do not ignore, .i know things are hard but I beg you in the name of God, please from the little you have, please help with no matter how much. I am married, a father of two and I am very down at this moment. Things haven't been going smoothly for me this time from my menial jobs due to owings. We have been hungry for days now , the kids has been drinking garri and is now affecting their health. I need to buy food and kerosene. . Please help me. Please help us. We are starving. I beg any kind hearted brothers and sisters on this forum Any amount please. I pray God bless anyone that gives me anything. Please. 3_1_3_5_8_38_6_09 first bank
mynd44
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by lexy2014: 1:42pm On Nov 27, 2020
klas:

It is not a constitution, it is just an ordinary law - Communication Act 1934 (as amended in 1996)

Which "ordinary law"? What makes a law ordinary and another extraordinary? Who made d law and what is d constitutional provision for amending d law? Did u see anywhere in Trump's statement that suggests that he has d powers to terminate any law?

2 Likes

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by ENG0701: 1:42pm On Nov 27, 2020
1. Trump cannot change a law by EO.
2. Eliminating section 230 does not lead to more freedom of speech, but less. If a media can be sued for what it's on its platform, it will censor its platform more, not less. For example, if I post misleading information on twitter, twitter cannot be sued for misleading the public under section 230. But if section 230 is removed, twitter can be sued. That will lead to more censorship, not less.
3. Trump is angry because of negative trends about him like 'diaperdon.' This is autocratic and a slippery slope.
4. Repealing section 230 will be bad for facebook and Parler which are more conservative friendly. These sites allow lots of fake news like anti vaxers which they can now be sued for. Liberals have always wanted to sue facebook. This just made it easier for them, and facebook will also have to censor conservatives more.

2 Likes

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Johnnyessence(m): 1:43pm On Nov 27, 2020
great one here from trump.
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Misterdhee1(m): 1:44pm On Nov 27, 2020
Righteousness89:

Outgoing president you mean

1 Like

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by 900warriorz: 1:50pm On Nov 27, 2020
Seyzcham91:
we are in this together! grammar too much! problem too much for our country to bear not to talk of America section 230

in Erigam's voice "problem no dey finish"

I dey tell you my brother grin I never know wetin Nigerian constituion as amended in 1999 talk finish, na US section 230 I go carry put for head grin cheesy
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by loswhite(m): 1:51pm On Nov 27, 2020
Righteousness89:

You mean within the powers of Twitter president....lol

1 Like

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by duality(m): 1:52pm On Nov 27, 2020
All I see is unnecessary hate against Trump.

Even the response on Nairaland gives them away.

Again let me remind us:

When it was fashionable to insult GEJ twist everything he says and accuse him of anything.

The results was an intolerant government afterwards.

Those who hate America, hate Trump

1 Like

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by olumide4christ: 1:53pm On Nov 27, 2020
omenka:
The same people who praise him to high havens and never see anything wrong with his actions are those who think in a super multifaceted society like ours, and its volatility, no moderation should be placed on social media by government.

I guess this action by the president of the worlds biggest democracy amounts to promoting social media freedom.

Smh.

Imagine what would have been buzzing now had an action similar to this been taken by the Nigerian government. Imagine it.

Yes ooo, you're so right...they would have brought down the entire social media space with curses, abuses, threats and continuous wailing by now, if Buhari had done half of this.

But once it's Trump or anyone in white skin, they are deemed to be above the law. You would imagine that the same people will complain about Indians, Americans, Europeans, etc coming here to take their jobs but would still push their own leaders under the bus.

SMH!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by ipobarethieves: 1:53pm On Nov 27, 2020
Righteousness89 sad sad sad grin undecided.I read Ur comment sad sad.U are still BITTER over Ur god November Election misfortune sad tongue sad grin.U better get over it b4 u enter South Sudan unknowingly embarassed undecided grin
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Nobody: 1:57pm On Nov 27, 2020
My president

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Moikiitos: 1:57pm On Nov 27, 2020
Luckily for Nigerians, Donald Trump isn't Goodluck Jonathan (in terms of gracefully acknowledged that he has lost, not for governance)...Na war we for stil dey fight til now :/

Odoctor:
Due to the several misdemeanours by twitter, the president has announced immediate termination of Section 230 of the constitution.

The president alleged also that twitter is making up fake trends.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1332175155104247808?s=19

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1332173996134195202?s=19

WHAT DID SECTION 230 SAY?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_230
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Iamgrey5(m): 1:57pm On Nov 27, 2020
Johnbosco77:
undecidedPreisodo wey Sabi Constitution..

Our own no even Sabi one section for Constitution, belente section 230...
A president cannot terminate a law by himself

You don't even understand the way Law works

He is simply protesting against the law

2 Likes

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by justli: 2:05pm On Nov 27, 2020
omenka:
The same people who praise him to high havens and never see anything wrong with his actions are those who think in a super multifaceted society like ours, and its volatility, no moderation should be placed on social media by government.

I guess this action by the president of the worlds biggest democracy amounts to promoting social media freedom.

Smh.

Imagine what would have been buzzing now had an action similar to this been taken by the Nigerian government. Imagine it.

Trump isnt trying to regulate freedom of expression, on the contrary he is trying to force the owners of these platforms to allow people the freedom of expressing themselves without being shut down,

And if they must get sanctimonious and shutdown people however they like, the people should at least be able to pursue legal suites..
I don't see how this compares to Buhari that wants to regulate our freedom of expression in the name of hate speech

1 Like

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by iamJ(m): 2:07pm On Nov 27, 2020
Mumu op, he said it should be terminated, he didn't say that it's done.
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Nobody: 2:08pm On Nov 27, 2020
senbonzakurakageyoshi:
Why can't this guy just leave the app?

You don't like owner. He doesn't like you either. Yet you want to die ontop his app.
The app was instrumental in him becoming the president in the first place.
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by iamJ(m): 2:09pm On Nov 27, 2020
ENG0701:
1. Trump cannot change a law by EO.
2. Eliminating section 230 does not lead to more freedom of speech, but less. If a media can be sued for what it's on its platform, it will censor its platform more, not less. For example, if I post misleading information on twitter, twitter cannot be sued for misleading the public under section 230. But if section 230 is removed, twitter can be sued. That will lead to more censorship, not less.
3. Trump is angry because of negative trends about him like 'diaperdon.' This is autocratic and a slippery slope.
4. Repealing section 230 will be bad for facebook and Parler which are more conservative friendly. These sites allow lots of fake news like anti vaxers which they can now be sued for. Liberals have always wanted to sue facebook. This just made it easier for them, and facebook will also have to censor conservatives more.
teach them.
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Ddokie: 2:09pm On Nov 27, 2020
mesmer:

You lots hypocrisy stinks to high heaven.

When Buhari's administration was considering censoring the internet in Nigeria via there hate speech thingy, y'all quick to call him out to what he truly is now Donald Trump is doing almost the same thing and y'all chewing him up.

Honestly! Some people can make a devil look like a saint on earth.

Mesmer is the name

Why cant you just calmly read and understand so that you can be more knowledgeably? Why?

I appeal to you ( for your own improvement), kindly read and understand what justli wrote up there. If you don't still understand and wish to do so, i will try to break it down further for you.

In as much as we have our sentiments, overall improvement of the human person is necessary. Lets try to be more balanced knowledge-wise. It helps.
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Diamondplus1805(m): 2:12pm On Nov 27, 2020
And so the Platform owner would be guilty for third party content on their Platform? Who will vet such huge contents?
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Ddokie: 2:13pm On Nov 27, 2020
Missssii:

Anyone supporting Trump on this shouldn’t protest against the social media bills about to be passed. How can we condemn Liar Mumuhad, Adamu Garbage and APC cretins for asking for media censorship but in the same breathe exhault an immoral man child for doing same.

Bro Righteousness, If it were in the days of old, when God used to strike people dead for being idiots, you’d have died a thousand and one deaths by now.

Repent Bro Righteousness...but I fear your soul may be beyond redemption as you’ve used the name of our Lord to perpetuate poorly veiled agendas. I’ll be praying for you.

Since you understand U.S constitution properly, kindly explain in simple terms to me what the so called section 203 says so that we can be sure you have a basis to link it to Buhari's plans of censoring social media.
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by mesmer: 2:14pm On Nov 27, 2020
ENG0701:

I dont understand how people think sometimes. They love Trump for exactly the same thing they hate Buhari for.
It really beats my imagination sir
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by ENG0701: 2:14pm On Nov 27, 2020
iamJ:
teach them.

Unfortunately facts don't matter when it comes to political arguments. That is why I rarely engage in them. For most people, their opinion about political issues is more emotional than factual, that is why a Christian will think Trump is God sent a Biden, a practising christian all his life is the antichrist. Their pastor told them Biden is evil, so he is evil. No amount of facts can change that.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Russian Oligarch’s Superyacht Seized In Germany / Hilarious Photos Of Ghanaian Law Enforcement Agents / Faces Of The Failed Coup Plotters In Burundi (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.