Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,604 members, 7,812,980 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 01:10 AM

Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' - Foreign Affairs (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' (38146 Views)

Trump Calls COVID’19 A “Chinese Virus” / Donald Trump Calls Justin Trudeau “two-faced” For Mocking Him / Trump Calls Kim Darroch, UK Ambassador 'A Very Stupid Guy' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Oxojun84: 3:27pm On Nov 27, 2020
see below

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by sonofElElyon: 3:33pm On Nov 27, 2020
he cannot and did not purport to terminate a section of the Constitution by tweet!
your headline is misleading..

he merely said what he feels is necessary to be done.. there are formal steps and procedures for the suspension of a part of the Constitution which are yet to be fulfilled..

Odoctor:
Due to the several misdemeanours by twitter, the president has announced immediate termination of Section 230 of the constitution.

The president alleged also that twitter is making up fake trends.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1332175155104247808?s=19

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1332173996134195202?s=19

WHAT DID SECTION 230 SAY?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Section_230

1 Like

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Edidiong123: 3:33pm On Nov 27, 2020
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by justli: 3:35pm On Nov 27, 2020
Farki:

Or you could just use another website.

Doesn't work that way for the same reason your landlord can't wake up and throw you out.
These users contribute immensely to the development of these platforms and for some of them it's a deserved source of livelihood haven't put in thousands of hours and contents

After putting in hard work shooting videos to engage your followers and to build trust,

Then one day the owners wake up and shot you down. Case close. You can't complain, you can't seek legal action because of immunity.

If they told users at onset they would be cancelled if they hold alternative views, people won't use them. Instead they make up the rules as they go and use them where they like.
They have to be consequence for acting like a publisher instead of a platform
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Burstit(m): 3:35pm On Nov 27, 2020
omenka:
Probably mistaking me for your father. I doubt we look alike.

Give him my regards though.
I will not stoop to that level, because irrespective of your miscreant attitudes, your father tried his best to make you a good Benue boy. Dirty BMC miscreant.

3 Likes

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by sonofElElyon: 3:36pm On Nov 27, 2020
and why has your own sense failed, betrayed and beguiled you to comment such rubbish

sigiyaya:
But why has your god failed his only begotten son Donald J Trump
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Reelblack: 3:40pm On Nov 27, 2020
ebenice:
Ok

I follow trump on twitter, you need to see how people make fun of him under his comment section and call him all manners of names , funny thing is twitter don't get to put those comments in check,

But they will gladly put a ad stating "false claim" at each trump tweet whenever he tweet about electoral fraud. is that not being bias??

All left media hardly report something good about trump, but will be quick to pick out the ones the public "consider offensive".

They wouldn't just let the man be for the whole 4years
Are you high ni abi bawo, making fun of someone and making false claims through propaganda are two different things. If he wasn’t a joke in the first place, no one would make fun of him.

1 Like

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by kelvindj98: 3:43pm On Nov 27, 2020
Righteousness89:
Twitter has really messed up itself and Disrespected Trump as President!

Twitter turned itself to a leftist media arm!

It's a Welcome Development!!
It's within the Powers of the President!
Of course an Aro patient will think it's a welcome development.
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Reelblack: 3:45pm On Nov 27, 2020
Farki:

That section 230 is a law which protects Internet platforms, most notably social media and chat rooms for being liable legally for the messages their users send. It makes the distinction between a publisher and a platform for example if Punch newspapers sold notebooks and I planned to bomb third mainland bridge and wrote the plans in the notebook Punch wouldn't be legally liable for being an accessory to terrorism. If Punch however wrote an editorial, not a report, an opinion piece and guide on how to bomb the third mainland bridge the operators of the newspaper would be arrested for being accessories to terrorism.

It was debated previously because Trump, for whatever reason best known to him, wanted to scrap it.

The problem here is that now Twitter will be even more strict with their moderation policies and that affects Trump because anything he posts for example "We will destroy North Korea" or endorsement of attacks on public officials can now be blamed on Twitter and be grounds for them to ban him.

To make the long talk short if I plan to commit a crime on nairaland, Seun and the mods can be arrested because they host the site.
You get sense jare.
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by ebenice(m): 3:48pm On Nov 27, 2020
Bluntemperor:

Rubbish!
Do you know the damage this your Trump has done to the American Democracy of Over 220years,including labelling the Press -which is the Fourth Estate of Realm in a viral Democracy and Mr Trump hate the Press!
If not that the American have strong Institutions to checkmate a rabble-rousers of a President like this,the American nation would have gone beyond.
A big lesson is that Trump was planted as a mole by the Russian and he thought he could continue doing their bidden for another 4-yrs,but Americans are clever people! Note also that it is easy to destroy such huge Democracy when you have bad leaders!
you are talking base on what you know

I am talking base on what I know

Let the end justify the means

Shalom
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Openbusiness: 3:49pm On Nov 27, 2020
wman:

Kindly tell us how Obama went after conservative media.

You people and fake news.
not in the mood to argue Politics this weekend. Maybe next week

1 Like

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Reelblack: 3:50pm On Nov 27, 2020
justli:
This is long overdue

I see most people don't understand the consequence of that section of the law...Twitter and other big techs can willfully silence opposition voices and no legal action can be taken against them.

Any body with any shred of reasoning knows Twitter is extremely biased and political.
If they must have the power to censor, in which case they decide what is right or wrong, they must also face the consequences when the wrongly flags someone.

Nobody should have the power over what we should say or shouldn't say...that's what dictators do ...
If this is the only thing the president achieves before he leaves office, then he has won one for freedom of speech
Big brain, read again, this is not about freedom of speech, this is about blaming any platform for what their users do. This is because #Diaperdon on Twitter was trending and he’s ego was hurt.

1 Like

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Farki: 3:53pm On Nov 27, 2020
justli:

Doesn't work that way for the same reason your landlord can't wake up and throw you out.
These users contribute immensely to the development of these platforms and for some of them it's a deserved source of livelihood haven't put in thousands of hours and contents

But if I break the terms of my rent agreement my landlord can throw me out. Twitter, unlike rent, is free it is also not funded by the government. If Twitter was a government platform Trump would have a point but it's not.

I'm sure you're old enough to remember MySpace and how it died unceremoniously when Facebook took over. What about Usenet or Digg? They died and life went on, people moved to other platforms. Twitter too will die one day and the arguments had there will be an afterthought but you're ignoring the serious consequences this could have for the Internet as a whole.

Don't let Trump's short sighted quarrel with Twitter ruin the most revolutionary tool of the modern era.

2 Likes

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by sunboy(m): 3:58pm On Nov 27, 2020
Openbusiness:
That's right! When you start your 2nd term, it is time to cut these left-wing media to size, especially Facebook and Twitter. Then we go after the Big Techs in Silicon Valley pushing Democrat + NWO agenda in the world. Enough is enough, they must be punished for their dirty actions. Send the IRS after the owners of Fake News Democrat media like CNN. Obama did the same thing against Conservative media. Republicans are too docile I swear.

How about sending IRS to himself first?

I paid more taxes than the billionaire President, here you are asking him to send IRS to other tax paying businesses.

1 Like

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by obiekunie2: 4:01pm On Nov 27, 2020
ebenice:
Ok

I follow trump on twitter, you need to see how people make fun of him under his comment section and call him all manners of names , funny thing is twitter don't get to put those comments in check,

But they will gladly put a ad stating "false claim" at each trump tweet whenever he tweet about electoral fraud. is that not being bias??

All left media hardly report something good about trump, but will be quick to pick out the ones the public "consider offensive".

They wouldn't just let the man be for the whole 4years

its really SAD.

THE MEDIA - BOTH SOCIAL AND REGULAR HAS PROVED TO BE THE WORST THING THAT CAN HAPPEN TO HUMANITY IF LEFT UNCHECKED.

THE MEDIA SHOULD BE ON THE SIDE OF TRUTH, FAIRNESS AND JUSTICE NO MATTER WHOSE OX IS GORED - BUT THE HATE THEY HAVE FOR TRUMP HAS SIMPLY PROVED THAT UNCHECKED MEDIA IS WORST THAN TERRORISM.

TWITTER AND CNN SHOULD BE SHUT DOWN FOR LIFE FOR BEING SO BIASED AND DISRESPECTFUL TO THE PERSON OF THE PRESIDENT. THEY DID IT TO TRUMP - A WHOLE PRESIDENT OF THE CIVILIZED WORLD AND WENT UNPUNISHED, NOW THEY WILL BE THE ONES DECIDING WHO RULES AND WHO DOESN'T BY SIMPLY POSTING FAKE PROPAGANDA AND DEFAMATION ON THEIR SITES.

THE MEDIA MUST HAVE SOME FORM OF CONTROL WORLDWIDE.

2 Likes

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by sunboy(m): 4:01pm On Nov 27, 2020
hotseat:
This is a new one!

Can an individual, no matter how highly placed, terminate any section(s) of the US constitution without recourse to the Congress?

I need to be educated lawyers in the house.

In simple terms NO, no president can single handedly modify the constitution.
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by sunboy(m): 4:02pm On Nov 27, 2020
Ijaya123:

Twitter only focus on verified users with huge followers who can use their influence promoting negative contents, like fake news which Trump is notorious for.

Preach it bro!
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by FatherOfJesus: 4:03pm On Nov 27, 2020
Twitter is bias because they don't want T rump's lies to Trend
justli:
This is long overdue

I see most people don't understand the consequence of that section of the law...Twitter and other big techs can willfully silence opposition voices and no legal action can be taken against them.

Any body with any shred of reasoning knows Twitter is extremely biased and political.
If they must have the power to censor, in which case they decide what is right or wrong, they must also face the consequences when the wrongly flags someone.

Nobody should have the power over what we should say or shouldn't say...that's what dictators do ...
If this is the only thing the president achieves before he leaves office, then he has won one for freedom of speech
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by obiekunie2: 4:04pm On Nov 27, 2020
Farki:

[s]But if I break the terms of my rent agreement my landlord can throw me out. Twitter, unlike rent, is free it is also not funded by the government. If Twitter was a government platform Trump would have a point but it's not.

I'm sure you're old enough to remember MySpace and how it died unceremoniously when Facebook took over. What about Usenet or Digg? They died and life went on, people moved to other platforms. Twitter too will die one day and the arguments had there will be an afterthought but you're ignoring the serious consequences this could have for the Internet as a whole.[/s]

Don't let Trump's short sighted quarrel with Twitter ruin the most revolutionary tool of the modern era.

THE UNCHECKED NEW MEDIA HAS RATHER PROVED TO BE A NEW FORM OF TERRORISM.
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Reelblack: 4:05pm On Nov 27, 2020
justli:

Don't be foolish. Read and comprehend. Trump isnt censoring the internet in fact he is doing the opposite.

What Trump is doing is to allow users of the internet platform to be able to say what they think they want and not get shut down by the platforms. That is the meaning of free speech .

Trump get abused everyday on Twitter, no problems. But Trump can't say his mind without is trbeing flagged. That's double standard, undemocratic and unAmerican.

And this isn't just about Trump thousands of conservatives get shut down daily for no other reason other than having a different opinion
Stop lying, this is about blaming a platform for what it’s users are doing. You guys can twist stuffs and it’s crazy to see. The reason he said this was because #diaperdon is trending on Twitter. Twitter can’t be responsible for what their users do, but what they can do is prevent misinformation from spreading while using their platform as an accessory.
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Odoctor(m): 4:08pm On Nov 27, 2020
lexy2014:

Oga, how can only one person announce d termination of a certain aspect of d constitution of d US? Where have u seen that happen before? Below are Trump's exact words:

"For purposes of National Security, Section 230 must be immediately terminated!!!"

Where in those words suggest that he "announced d termination of section 230" of d American Constitution?

Pls get ur facts right before opening a thread. D English Trump spoke isn't difficult to understand

noted sir. thank you
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Reelblack: 4:08pm On Nov 27, 2020
justli:

Yes. If they must tell us what to say and what not to say, then they must liable.

You cannot eat your cake and have it.

You want to censor my post on the one hand, and you don't want to take responsibility for flagging me wrongly.

They even have the balls to factcheck the president. When they over step like they always do, it's only right that people are able to sue them

Well the President shouldn’t be lying in the first place, so you are one of the people that propagate false information, you know that this bill isn’t about censorship, yet you made it look like one while not stating what the bill is actually about.
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Odoctor(m): 4:09pm On Nov 27, 2020
TimeTraveler369:

Nothing free comes from any Government. There is always a hook. Check the free vaccine very well, and you will see a heavy price to pay indirectly.

This is the Age of NanoChips.

Becareful, Souls can be trapped and reincarnated in programmed bodies for any utility of the hackman.
wow, would like to know more, if you don't mind sir.
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by TrebleChamp(m): 4:12pm On Nov 27, 2020
Odoctor:
I have long noticed this from twitter. It is obvious these big tech companies have power. Let these powers be channelled appropriately please.

Today on ODOCTOR. Ng

There is yellow fever in Nigeria. The vaccine is every where. The vaccine is free, or almost free.

So why are you not vaccinated yet?

Take your health serious pls.

Oya say this: " After reading this ODOCTOR update, Im getting vaccinated today"

Health is priceless. Do not jeopardize yours!
Good morning

Remember to support this movement. Check my signature.
-odoctor. Ng...promoting health in the language you will understand.

Does dis also mean you support Nigerian Govt proposed Social Media regulation?
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by justli: 4:14pm On Nov 27, 2020
Farki:

But if I break the terms of my rent agreement my landlord can throw me out. Twitter, unlike rent, is free it is also not funded by the government. If Twitter was a government platform Trump would have a point but it's not.

I'm sure you're old enough to remember MySpace and how it died unceremoniously when Facebook took over. What about Usenet or Digg? They died and life went on, people moved to other platforms. Twitter too will die one day and the arguments had there will be an afterthought but you're ignoring the serious consequences this could have for the Internet as a whole.

Stefan molyneux runs the most educating channel on YouTube. He presents education on history like no other...sometime this year, YouTube decided they've had enough of his conservative views ... Shut him down and that was it.

These platforms didn't build themselves, content providers are an integral part of that development. They too need to be protected by taking away the previlege enjoyed by these platforms.

Joe Rogan, same. The number of conservative accounts cancelled by Twitter and YouTube are a dime and dozen.

They need to be opened up for litigation. Let's see how long their excesses last
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by TrebleChamp(m): 4:14pm On Nov 27, 2020
Johnbosco77:
undecidedPreisodo wey Sabi Constitution..

Our own no even Sabi one section for Constitution, belente section 230...
I hope say you dey also support Buhari Social media regulation plan?
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Reelblack: 4:16pm On Nov 27, 2020
justli:

There you go. You want free speech and you also want to censor someone...

Freedom of speech is a fundamental right of all Americans...
If the platforms want to censor, no problems... But the people have to be able to file a legal suit against them when they feel their right has been tampered...

I don't see the problem here...the only reason you don't want this is because you like conservative voices silenced...
Freedom of speech does not give you the liberty to lie or to hate, you should be held accountable for either your lie, hate or racism. Trump is known for propagating lies, just like his claims that there fraudulent practices during the election with no proof, and all his cases were thrown out at court. But he hopes to win the public opinion of people like you who lack the mental capacity to think independently and the ability to assess an individual.

2 Likes

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Reelblack: 4:20pm On Nov 27, 2020
justli:

Trump isnt trying to regulate freedom of expression, on the contrary he is trying to force the owners of these platforms to allow people the freedom of expressing themselves without being shut down,

And if they must get sanctimonious and shutdown people however they like, the people should at least be able to pursue legal suites..
I don't see how this compares to Buhari that wants to regulate our freedom of expression in the name of hate speech
Stop propagating lies abeg
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Iyipinua: 4:22pm On Nov 27, 2020
samsard:
Most senseless US president ever.

Most foolish comment ever on nairaland

1 Like

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by Reelblack: 4:23pm On Nov 27, 2020
Adakintroy:
Thank God for a strong male presence. When a male lion is in the pride hyena know to stay far.

You see no one messed with America during trump reign. Those terrorist were silent.

He even mussle china for jobs for his people. Mumu blacks have record unemployment low. Still did not appreciate. Will rather wallow in self pity and wait for pity hugs from democrats. Agreeability is a wrong. Not everyone who disagree with you is your enemy.

But anyhow The man is indeed the greatest since Lincoln.

I wonder if not for this natural disasters. I repeat natural" disaster How the economy would have been. Even with it pandemic the economy was still bubbling.

Mumu Nigerians go comment because them think say he easy. Only tail weh the cow take touch them, them never still fit recover.

Recession today and always since pandemic. But them go call trump Mumu. Someone that build empire and run a country Of that complexity. Wereas them poultry never commot ground since it start.

Those Mumu feminist want us to believe he is sexist. But you only have to look at his pick for white house press secretary Kayleigh McEnany to know no one come this far build this much without being not just a good but sound judge of characters. Gender inconsequential.

Only strong men like Putin respect trump. They know it's not easy to stand alone and be your own person.

My respect Trump. My respect!
Ahhh, werey re o
Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by 5thcolm(m): 4:25pm On Nov 27, 2020
justli:
This is long overdue

Freedom of speech does not applies on an application that you don't own. That is why we have terms and condition on all app. You can't force AIT to air your views, they can only air it at their discretion.

If he doesn't like an app, he should simply deactivate is account on the app and go to an app he likes.

That is what you and i would do. Trump is really abusing the power of the presidency and that is why he is been voted out.

Funny thing is, if Buhari does this same thing you would complain

1 Like

Re: Trump Calls For Termination Of "Section 230" Over Twitter 'False Trends' by 5thcolm(m): 4:30pm On Nov 27, 2020
justli:

Stefan molyneux runs the most educating channel on YouTube. He presents education on history like no other...sometime this year, YouTube decided they've had enough of his conservative views ... Shut him down and that was it.

These platforms didn't build themselves, content providers are an integral part of that development. They too need to be protected by taking away the previlege enjoyed by these platforms.

Joe Rogan, same. The number of conservative accounts cancelled by Twitter and YouTube are a dime and dozen.

They need to be opened up for litigation. Let's see how long their excesses last

The problem is, conservatives lie a lot. Trump is no different to Alex Jones. They all lie and peddle dangerous narratives.
Over time, i have come to realize the republican party for the most part is the party of conmen and the gullible

2 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Russian Oligarch’s Superyacht Seized In Germany / Hilarious Photos Of Ghanaian Law Enforcement Agents / Faces Of The Failed Coup Plotters In Burundi (pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.