Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,286 members, 7,811,853 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:24 PM

Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? - TV/Movies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? (7936 Views)

Contacts Of Nollywood Cast(actors/actresses) And Crew / Nollywood Actors & Actresses' Value / Most Annoying Nigerian Actors/Actresses (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by Abuna: 10:31pm On Mar 24, 2011
Desola:

At the OP - Listen, Nollywood is not a representative of Nigeria as it merely shows you the customs and traditions of a fraction an ethnic group known as the Igbos.

Whether you like it or not, you tribalistic Arrow, they represent Nigeria. I can't fathom why ignorant cunts like you can't appreciate and stand other tribes. Lets call a spade a spade, Yoruba films are nowhere near films produced by your so-called 'fraction of an ethnic group'.

The fortunate truth is that your thought and sentiments are irrelevant anyways. Just a waste of my time replying to a LovePeddler like you and your mother!!!

Ugly Yoruba fucxk!!! angry
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by Nobody: 10:32pm On Mar 24, 2011
the best thing about these nollywood BS is that it has helped some people make a career for themselves. I'd personally prefer them looking stupid on TV and geting paid good money 4 it than being armed robbers, 419ers, crooks or hookers.  cool
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by eghost247(m): 12:00am On Mar 25, 2011
We Lovwe them
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by 123xyz(m): 7:30am On Mar 25, 2011
They represent Africa.
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by 123xyz(m): 7:42am On Mar 25, 2011
What i believe is, Nollywood has a long way to go, BUT, they have come from far. So why not appreciate what they have done?
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by 123xyz(m): 7:43am On Mar 25, 2011
Desola:

At the OP - Listen, Nollywood is not a representative of Nigeria as it merely shows you the customs and traditions of a fraction an ethnic group known as the Igbos.

Yah, you had to bring tribalism into this, in our country even leaders are elected along tribal lines. Maybe its time we accepted that tribalism is in our African blood. That way we will comfortably live just below the poverty line.
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by 123xyz(m): 7:45am On Mar 25, 2011
Desola:

@ Dream chaser - Thanks for fishing me out, comerade, afterall, it does take one to know one, non? wink

I was not targeting you but if got caught in the mix, figure it out,
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by 123xyz(m): 7:47am On Mar 25, 2011
enamaye:

i hope this OP is not one of our nollywood stars here on nairaland, i dey suspect oge okoye or genevieve or omotola.

This does not answer the question, My friend this is neither of those. what would they gain if they did so. am from Kenya.
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by 123xyz(m): 7:56am On Mar 25, 2011
prince_onx:

Why not first ask if nigerians are pround of Nigeria? u dey talk of actors

If they are not proud of Nigerian actors, how can they be proud of Nigeria. its like living in a posh house and driving a mercedes benz, while your mother languishes in poverty and yet you claim you are proud of her.
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by 123xyz(m): 8:02am On Mar 25, 2011
awa17:

WE HAVE GOOD ACTORS/ACTRESSESS NO DOUBT, MY MAIN HEAD ACHE IS THE STORY LINES, I DOUBT IF THE SCRIPT WRITERS/PRODUCERS ARE ACTUALLY LEARNERED/LITRATES; NO SUSPENSE, VERY EMPTY INFACT U FEEL silly AFTER WATCHING SOME. CANT THE  ACTORS PROTEST
ALSO WE NEED MORE VARIETY, AS IN IM TIRED OF SEEING THE SAME FACES ON EVERY MOVIE, AS THE MOST POPULOUS COUNTRY, I FEEL THERE ARE SOME UNTAPPED RESOURCES.
I LIKE NAIJA MOVIES BUT IM ALWAIZ DISAPPOINTED AT THE END OF ALMOST EVERY FILM. AND THEN THE ISSUE OF "WANTING TO BE AMERICAN" JUST DOESNT FIT MOST ACTORS.

KUDOS TO YORUBA MOVIES!!!

WE STILL LOVE THEM THOUGH!

According to you they are still far off, but whatever i know about Nigeria, how people look, behave and relate is from those movies. People outside Africa watch those movies and learn am lot about the whole of Africa.

The next time they step they will take, you will be criticizing them that they have too much violence.
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by fxtopedia(m): 8:47am On Mar 25, 2011
I enjoy them very well,
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by Nobody: 11:08am On Mar 25, 2011
I love Nollywood, I'm proud of our actors and actresses. smiley

Abuna:

The fortunate truth is that your thought and sentiments are irrelevant anyways. Just a waste of my time replying to a LovePeddler like you and your mother!!!

Bro, regardless of how Desola came across, insulting her mom, who's absent from this thread, is wrong. It doesn't speak well of you, as an individual.
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by sley4life(m): 12:43pm On Mar 25, 2011
im proud of some. Not all
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by gidson12(m): 6:04pm On Mar 25, 2011
i'm very much proud of them, if only the government would enhance the industry a lil bit, it would be great
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by eridah2007(m): 11:53pm On Mar 25, 2011
I'm proud of em o, I'm even watchin nollywood movie right now,' blood sisters' very interestin movie cheesy
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by Desola(f): 12:10am On Mar 26, 2011
Oh, Abuna, why did you have to let yourself down so? It is clear that you cannot engage in a coherent discourse without getting emotionally warped. I merely stated the fact of the dynamics of the Nollywood industry and you have chosen to display your cultural and moral decadence.

If you can't stand the heat in the kitchen, then you get right out of it!

Nollywood as it stands today is for the Igbos and it only showcases the Igbo culture whether you are gored by the truth or not. Your industry does not represent me as a Nigerian. I have watched behind the clouds, cock crow at dawn, Ripples, Checkmate and can categorically tell you that these were true representation of the Nigerian people as most ethnic groups were represented and with varied cultural stories.

Nollywood is the most "tribalistic" industry in Nigeria and they go unchecked because if anyone says bleep, then the Igbos would jump on them waving their Biafran flag shouting marginalisation as it is evident in most political threads on this site.

With regard to your infantile remarks on my family, the reply I have for you is: "Eni ti o ni iru eni, ko le mo iyi eni". Yorubas have high regard for their elders and family so I will bestow that respect on your mother as it evident that you don't regard her much.
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by shotster50(m): 4:54am On Mar 26, 2011
Desola:

Oh, Abuna, why did you have to let yourself down so? It is clear that you cannot engage in a coherent discourse without getting emotionally warped. I merely stated the fact of the dynamics of the Nollywood industry and you have chosen to display your cultural and moral decadence.

If you can't stand the heat in the kitchen, then you get right out of it!

Nollywood as it stands today is for the Igbos and it only showcases the Igbo culture whether you are gored by the truth or not. Your industry does not represent me as a Nigerian. I have watched behind the clouds, cock crow at dawn, Ripples, Checkmate and can categorically tell you that these were true representation of the Nigerian people as most ethnic groups were represented and with varied cultural stories.

Nollywood is the most "tribalistic" industry in Nigeria and they go unchecked because if anyone says bleep, then the Igbos would jump on them waving their Biafran flag shouting marginalisation as it is evident in most political threads on this site.

With regard to your infantile remarks on my family, the reply I have for you is: "Eni ti o ni iru eni, ko le mo iyi eni". Yorubas have high regard for their elders and family so I will bestow that respect on your mother as it evident that you don't regard her much.

Sorry.
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by kingsolomo: 8:17am On Mar 26, 2011
let us learn to value wat we have otherwise we loose dem.even christ was not honoured in his own town.
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by Reggie2(m): 2:23pm On Mar 26, 2011
Nollywood is one of the best things that has happened to 9ja. Like every other venture, it will pass through stages to maturity, more grease to their elbows and oil to their armpits.
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by Nobody: 7:04pm On Mar 26, 2011
Why would anyone compare these actors with Christ?! Are you out of your goddam minds?! So anyone who is hated should be compare to Christ? What about Hitler, can't he be compared too since most hated him?

Nollywood is what it is: an industry with absolutely no creative content, churning out movies for the financial gain rather than quality with very few actor who CAN act but you wouldn't even notice it because of the garbage movies/script that are offered to them or that they agree to play in.
Also, anyone who can produce a 4hrs long movie in a week DOES NOT know what they are doing!

As for me, I keep watching Nolly movies simply because I am still hoping that someday I will get to see a well directed/shot/produced Nolly movie, helas most are so bad that I never finish watching them.
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by zibe(m): 9:04pm On Mar 26, 2011
I am Igbo, and truth be told, most nollywood films do centre around the Igbo culture, especially when they have to act the village scenes. The soundtrack alone should tell you so. I'm proud of what the actors are doing though, but I'd still like to see films about the different cultures of Nigeria, from the warri people to hausas to edo to every other part of Nigeria, igbos included. Maybe its cos most producers are Igbos sha. So I guess we need more of other people on the scene. Just saying.
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by 9jageek: 2:18am On Mar 27, 2011
We are so proud of Nollywood. Even though they have their annoying ways sometimes like making us buy part 1, 2 and 3 of every movie title they make , we still love and appreciate their hardwork. grin
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by ladyg2(f): 3:44am On Mar 27, 2011
Im proud of our Nigerian Actors/Actresses. As a matter of fact, sometimes I envy them. They are so well known. Not only in Naija but also in different cultures like Jamaica,

The thing one has to remember is that there is a price for being famous. And it is that ppl will judge you, for good and for bad. Thats the bottom line.

I mean look at American Celebrities and the way critics, magazines, and the media talk about them,

I mean its just a fact of the world. One wouldnt say that Americans are not proud of Lindsey Lohan. She has been in and out of rehab, and there has been many negative things spoken about her, but that doesnt make Americans hate her.
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by THEAMAKA(f): 3:48am On Mar 27, 2011
I'm very proud of them due to the fact that Nollywood is a home-grown industry and with Nigeria being in its current situation, they are still able to suck it up and make movies to entertain. without constant electricity, barely any government support, or anything of that nature, many of them are still doing what they do. i mean, many dont even get paid that much unless they are A-list.
kudos to them.
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by aribisala0(m): 3:14pm On Mar 29, 2011
Abuna:

Whether you like it or not, you tribalistic Arrow, they represent Nigeria. I can't fathom why ignorant cunts like you can't appreciate and stand other tribes. Lets call a spade a spade, Yoruba films are nowhere near films produced by your so-called 'fraction of an ethnic group'.

well i am sure nigerians will not be proud of this abuna character. if you visit a motor park in nigeria you find his sort there more accustomed to settling disagreements with their fists than with dialogue. as far as the correctness of position is concerned it is like arguing that egusi is better than okro. it is a matter of taste and people should feel free to express their views.  if we don't like them that is fine but that is no licence to abuse their mothers. this is not a nigerian thing to do and my experience is people who do that do not respect their mothers.
regarding nollywood we all know that most of the videos are produced by alaba traders who are ibo but are not necessarily representative of ALL igbos and so they set the agenda from what, in my opinion, is the world view of semi--literate igbo traders, in order words, a sub set of igbo contemporary culture in modern nigeria. this is the dominant theme. there is very little representation of northern nigeria-a)the  muslim perspective b) the christian perspective.
little if any representation of riverine nigeria. little representation of yoruba or other ethnic minorities. this is particularly true when depicting rural nigeria. i stand to be corrected but i have not seen any about northern nigeria,moslem women or ijaw life. quite often we are bombarded with evidence of holy ghost power.all of this is the legitimate right of the makers of these videos but one thing is certain they do not represent the whole of nigeria. in fact they do not represent the whole of the igbos and in my view are quite harmful to the igbo language.
now i am not god and i could be wrong in some or all of what i say but i have the right to say it without being subject to abuse of my person or my family. people should practice some restraint on this site.
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by Reggie2(m): 5:00pm On Mar 29, 2011
I consider it shameful that some ethnic groups should sit down, eat amala and suya, while others write their history. AribisalaO's argument is baseless. Alaba guys have started a success story some 20 years ago, let's see the intellectuals refine the process. These later, do not need to come from the east, what's holding them?
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by aribisala0(m): 5:12pm On Mar 29, 2011
reply to reggie no worries,if you think my argument is baseless that is ok. but that is the way i see the world.you are entitled to your opinion and i respect that. is it not interesting how we all see the world in different ways.
i respect you too.
smiley i am sorry but i don't quite get the point about amala and suya? i don't eat amala and have not seen suya in many years
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by blacklion(m): 7:54pm On Mar 29, 2011
Most people would agree that the present crop of English language Nollywood movies don't fully represent the ethnic/linguistic diversity of Nigeria. But some people tend to reduce the issue to abusing Igbo movie marketers. The challenge is to go beyond the usual tribal bashing to identify the root causes of the problem and discuss practical and realistic solutions.

Yes, the top marketers of English language movies are mostly Igbo but not all the big Nollywood producers and directors are Igbo. Top non-Igbo producers and directors include -
1. Chico Ejiro
2. Teco Benson
3. Zack Amata
4. Emem Isong
5. Fidelis Duker

Amaka Igwe is Igbo and a major producer but her movies usually have a diverse plot/script and cast. However, most of the Idumota marketers prefer to finance movies that reflect the language/culture they are familiar with i.e. Igbo but the actors in such movies are not all Igbo e.g. Justus Esiri, Joe Layode, Joke Sylva and Mercy Johnson. Nowadays, we have an influx of Ghanaian actors and actresses in Nigerian films including those reflecting Igbo culture.

It makes no sense to me to reduce this issue to an Igbo conspiracy. There are all sorts of commercial considerations and personal interests that go into deciding what type of films are produced and who will appear in them. Nollywood is an open market with free entry, competition and exit. Any one is free to make movies reflecting 1, 2, 3 or as many languages and cultures as he or she pleases. No one can stop any one else from promoting and selling his or her film.

There is no law that says only Igbo marketers can finance English language movies. There is also no law that says only Igbo producers and directors can make movies in English. Its possible for a tribalistic Igbo film marketer to refuse to sell an English language movie made by a Yoruba producer out of pure tribalism or for whatever reason but he cannot stop the Yoruba producer from making another arrangement.

Even if a cabal of Igbo marketers connive to prevent Yoruba film-makers from selling English language movies through the distribution networks that are controlled by the Igbo marketers, what stops the Yoruba film producer from selling his English language movies through Yoruba marketers? ? Is there are any law that says Yoruba marketers can only sell Yoruba language movies? What stops a Yoruba film producer from finding an Edo, Calabar or Bini marketer to sell his or her movies?

Any body can open a shop anywhere in Nigeria to sell movies. Nobody or no one tribe can force all other Nigerians and Africans to watch films that reflect only its culture. Its funny to read people insinuating that a bunch of Igbo men can come to Lagos and chase Yoruba movie producers and distributors out of business in their own land!

As for how Nollywood projects Nigerian cultures abroad, one immediate practical step would be to improve the quality of sub-titles in Yoruba language movies. I am not Yoruba and I don't speak Yoruba but I do enjoy watching some Yoruba language movies. However, I find the poor subtitling very frustrating. Its either the subtitles are out of sync with the spoken dialogue (sometimes the actors speak for 5-10 mins before any subtitles pop-up) or the translation simply does not make sense. I am then forced to drag a Yoruba speaker to stay with me while watching the movie in order to properly enjoy it or to get the gist of the movie beforehand or afterwards. Improved sub-titles on Yoruba language movies would greatly increase the appeal to non-Yoruba speaker within and outside Nigeria.
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by aribisala0(m): 10:09pm On Apr 01, 2011
i  think this discussion is going down two different roads. i did say earlier that most of the english language movies are representative of a sub-set of igbo culture not the whole thing . most of the productions i have seen relate to the supernatural whilst this is a part of ALL nigerian cultures it is only a small part. further because most depictions are done by mostly untrained/semi literate  people(my opinion) so many other interesting aspects of igbo culture e.g. the role of age groups, pre-christianity cosmology,detailed  analysis of key ceremonies e.g wine carrying etc. historical contextualization of what is the meaning of bendel igbo and so many other interesting things about igbos these things are poorly dealt with and what is often seen is a post modern depiction of a narrow group of igbos. i believe i have learnt more about igbos by reading achebes things fall apart than all these movies together.
however this is the right of the producers and for me it is not a problem. those who complain about tribalism etc are entitled to complain but i do not sympathize with that. theatre production i.e. on stage production for many years was dominated by yorubas and we did not hear much noise.
the only point i will make,AGAIN, is as a nigerian those  english movies do not represent me but reflect  some people with who i share the same space. this is quite a different thing to saying it is tribalism.  it is not even a complaint but a statement of fact.
i also expressed concern that there is a danger to the future of the igbo language genre as there does not appear to be much production of this.this is wrong.i think young nigerians igbos too should have role models on screen who speak their languages and this is why i believe in many years the presidential(WAS IT VICE) candidate who refused to speak in english did something that people who are not yet born will praise him for

my personal opinion is that those nigerian movies that will make it to the top  in cinema worldwide,will be in nigerian languages with subtitles.not in english.
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by cold(m): 10:18pm On Apr 01, 2011
In the inner recesses of your mind you have made sense
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by aribisala0(m): 10:40pm On Apr 01, 2011
cold:

In the inner recesses of your mind you have made sense 
this is true,intelligence and good schooling does helps in grasping complex ideas.i am genuinely sympathetic and recommend a session of onanism
Re: Are Nigerians Pround Of Nollywood Actors & Actresses? by cold(m): 10:44pm On Apr 01, 2011
Do you even know the meaning of the words you bandy about?I guess you're in the 'ignorance is bliss' school.In this case my hands are tied,sorry i can't help you.Find a shrink

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Registration For The Gulder Ultimate Search 6 Begins / Hollywood Actresses Without Makeups! (Pictures Attached) / Nollywood Already Working On ALUU4 Movie

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.