Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? (18500 Views)

Why Are So Many Young People Dying Of Heart Attacks? ( Video) / COVID-19: Can Nigeria And Nigerians Survive Extension Of Lock Down? / Outbreak Of A Viral Hemorrhagic Fever Hits Edo State. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by BENARI: 12:19pm On Dec 09, 2020
It is with a sense of dismay that I create this thread. I don't know about you, but I've observed particularly in the last decade or two that more and more Nigerians are dying suddenly; either they slump, sleep and not wake up, or simply let out a shout(my head my head my head), and next thing you know, they are gone. These 3 scenarios are typical of Heart attacks, Cardiac arrest, and Hemorrhagic Strokes.

Sad to say, a lot of the people I know, even seemingly very literate ones tend to blame such deaths on spiritual attacks, and for that reason I believe we miss the opportunity to fashion out a way to prevent as much as possible, a recurrence.

I've often wondered why everyone I learnt had a heart attack in Nigeria or a Hemorrhagic stroke ends up dying. Perhaps I've not been very observant, but I've never met a survivor of any of these medical emergencies. Mind you, I'm not talking about the less severe stroke that usually partially paralyze a part of the body.
Ironically, in the western world, statistics shows that only a third of victims end up dying from these emergencies. Some persons have even survived repeated heart attacks.

Well, I know some will say we don't have the facilities and emergency response, yes, but even those who do make it to the hospital end up dying. On the part of the populace, we are usually helpless when such emergencies occur which I find rather unfortunate. Now let me say this, the reason why people end dying from heart attacks particularly in Nigeria, is not only due to inadequate facilities, but also due to ignorance. A simple CPR(chest compress) which can be performed by anybody can and have saved many lives(a CPR is by no means a solution to heart attacks, but can help to keep the victim alive till medical professionals take over management). I simply cannot understand why both the government and we the people have not yet seen the need to educate ourselves about this simple live saving procedure. Personally I've tried to train loved ones on this procedure, but often they laugh it off or don't take it seriously. They're usually quick to label me a coward, pessimist or faithless person. I'm certain I'll do whatever I can to help a heart attack victim if I encounter any such emergencies, but I sometimes worry that no one will be able to come to my aid if I were to be a victim some day.

I think we need a change of attitude toward this sudden killers. More and more are dying needless deaths, and we can do more that just blowing breeze or pouring water on victims while we wait for them to die. We need to educate ourselves, our spouses, children, friends, and relatives. Your effort can save a loved ones life including yours. This emergencies can befall anyone irrespective of age or gender(although men 30 years and above are disproportionately affected, but women over 45 years of age are at increased risk)

Doctors and Medical professionals in the house please throw more light on this topic; how to prevent the conditions that leads to this medical emergencies and what to do when such emergencies do occur. I'm however aware of the ignorance and debate that exist in the medical field as to what causes the disease that leads to these emergencies.

The sudden death trend is an alarming one in Nigeria that should be declared a national emergency in my view. Looks like 2 in every 3 deaths this days are sudden.

Personally I'm taking the time to know the cause of the disease that eventually leads to this emergencies and also taking steps that could likely help prevent things from getting so bad, and I think the time has come for each and everyone to begin doing the same. Because I'm not a medical professional, I cannot recommend what people should or shouldn't do to reduce their risk, however, I'll gladly share materials that can educate people on lifestyle choices that can help them.

60 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by osamz007: 12:22pm On Dec 09, 2020
NO ADEQUATE FACILITIES

HIGH COST OF REAL MEDICAL EXAMINATION

BAD ROADS TO MEDICAL CENTERS AND MANY MORE

THIS COUNTRY JUST DEY BAD

OUR LEADERS(DULLARDS) PREFER TREATMENTS BY GERMAN AND ISRAELI DOCTORS. KYARI RECEIVED THE END RESULT OF SUCH GAMBLE

21 Likes 1 Share

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by Amotolongbo(f): 12:37pm On Dec 09, 2020
Our President has survived several shocks and still will survive many

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by braine(m): 12:49pm On Dec 09, 2020
Quite insightful.

What I can say is to encourage people to go for regular heart/cardiac system check up.

We don't take regular check ups seriously enough in this country.

8 Likes

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by yeyeboi(m): 12:49pm On Dec 09, 2020
Ok

1 Like

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by Favemmzar200(m): 12:49pm On Dec 09, 2020
BENARI:
It is with a sense of dismay that I create this thread. I don't know about you, but I've observed particularly in the last decade or two that more and more Nigerians are dying suddenly; either they slump, sleep and not wake up, or simply let out a shout(my head my head my head), and next thing you know, they are gone. These 3 scenarios are typical of Heart attacks, Cardiac arrest, and Hemorrhagic Strokes.

Sad to say, a lot of the people I know, even seemingly very literate ones tend to blame such deaths on spiritual attacks, and for that reason I believe we miss the opportunity to fashion out a way to prevent as much as possible, a recurrence.

I've often wondered why everyone I learnt had a heart attack in Nigeria or a Hemorrhagic stroke ends up dying. Perhaps I've not been very observant, but I've never met a survivor of any of these medical emergencies. Mind you, I'm not talking about the less severe stroke that usually partially paralyze a part of the body.
Ironically, in the western world, statistics shows that only a third of victims end up dying from these emergencies. Some persons have even survived repeated heart attacks.

Well, I know some will say we don't have the facilities and emergency response, yes, but even those who do make it to the hospital end up dying. On the part of the populace, we are usually helpless when such emergencies occur which I find rather unfortunate. Now let me say this, the reason why people end dying from heart attacks particularly in Nigeria, is not only due to inadequate facilities, but also due to ignorance. A simple CPR(chest compress) which can be performed by anybody can and have saved many lives(a CPR is by no means a solution to heart attacks, but can help to keep the victim alive till medical professionals take over management). I simply cannot understand why both the government and we the people have not yet seen the need to educate ourselves about this simple live saving procedure. Personally I've tried to train loved ones on this procedure, but often they laugh it off or don't take it seriously. They're usually quick to label me a coward, pessimist or faithless person. I'm certain I'll do whatever I can to help a heart attack victim if I encounter any such emergencies, but I sometimes worry that no one will be able to come to my aid if I were to be a victim some day.

I think we need a change of attitude toward this sudden killers. More and more are dying needless deaths, and we can do more that just blowing breeze or pouring water on victims while we wait for them to die. We need to educate ourselves, our spouses, children, friends, and relatives. Your effort can save a loved ones life including yours. This emergencies can befall anyone irrespective of age or gender(although men 30 years and above are disproportionately affected, but women over 45 years of age are at increased risk)

Doctors and Medical professionals in the house please throw more light on this topic; how to prevent the conditions that leads to this medical emergencies and what to do when such emergencies do occur. I'm however aware of the ignorance and debate that exist in the medical field as to what causes the disease that leads to these emergencies.

The sudden death trend is an alarming one in Nigeria that should be declared a national emergency in my view. Looks like 2 in every 3 deaths this days are sudden.

Personally I'm taking the time to know the cause of the disease that eventually leads to this emergencies and also taking steps that could likely help prevent things from getting so bad, and I think the time has come for each and everyone to begin doing the same. Because I'm not a medical professional, I cannot recommend what people should or shouldn't do to reduce their risk, however, I'll gladly share materials that can educate people on lifestyle choices that can help them.

I love this write up so much

Just two weeks ago my dad slumped at the church. Its still by Gods grace he recovered in less than a week

18 Likes

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by hisexcellency34: 12:49pm On Dec 09, 2020
Nigerians are very resilient. We can survive anything

3 Likes

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by lordopsy2018(m): 12:50pm On Dec 09, 2020
i just dey pass
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by fourboys: 12:50pm On Dec 09, 2020
g
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by dynicks(m): 12:50pm On Dec 09, 2020
Na only wealthy Nigerians fit experience that one.....or have u ever heard of a poor Nigerian that have died of either of those attacks before?.....the level of suffering a poor man suffers in this country pass heart attack still yet they survive it......abeg none of them get level for where street niggars dey.........That thing dey observe face/condition first before it attacks

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by Fheelzz(m): 12:50pm On Dec 09, 2020
Thanks for this

1 Like

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by Nobody: 12:50pm On Dec 09, 2020
Yes because this country itself is a big heart attack.
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by paulolee(m): 12:51pm On Dec 09, 2020
nice post..love d contents
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by HUSTLER001: 12:51pm On Dec 09, 2020
My dad died of stroke and now your post is bringing back memories. We did everything to make him make good use of his limbs again but then death strikes.RIP Dad.

8 Likes

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by yetmao: 12:51pm On Dec 09, 2020
YES, with prayer and fasting
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by AroOkigbo(m): 12:51pm On Dec 09, 2020
Nigerians are tough. ..if we can survive Buhari, what is heart attack.
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by Lavisha(f): 12:52pm On Dec 09, 2020
Nigerians have survived and evolved. We don't need all those things.
Who go die go die.
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by Lovelies1: 12:52pm On Dec 09, 2020
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by Nobody: 12:52pm On Dec 09, 2020
G
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by Dailyhappenings: 12:52pm On Dec 09, 2020
Yeah I had a teacher then in high school who was down with it.. and he was treated ...but believe me when I say it is bad...

If you know anyone that has it, tell them to go for Shiloh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SShagpyaBd0

3 Likes

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by osuofia2(m): 12:53pm On Dec 09, 2020
hisexcellency34:
Nigerians are very resilient. We can survive anything
AroOkigbo:
Nigerians are tough. ..if we can survive Buhari, what is heart attack.
SEE THEM, YOU CAN SURVIVE ANYTHING YET THE LIFE EXPECATNCY HERE IS LESS THAN 60YRS

9 Likes

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by InvertedHammer: 12:53pm On Dec 09, 2020
/
If you perform CPR and the patient dies later, how do you explain yourself to the police and the family members? To be a good Samaritan in Nigeria is an invitation to trouble.

If you take an accident victim or armed robbery victim to the hospital, your problems have just multiplied.

/

13 Likes

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by Sonnobax15(m): 12:54pm On Dec 09, 2020
cheesy. Op, Nigerians have been wired to survive any kind of heart attack,no matter how hard it may be.... There's no amount of heart break that can disfigure me.....

Chelsea just gave me a heart attack yesterday

common ordinary over 2.5 Dem no fit play Lampard just go use my money take cook draw soup yesterday

6 Likes

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by incogni2o: 12:54pm On Dec 09, 2020
Sure
Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by Darey00(m): 12:54pm On Dec 09, 2020
I so much love this write-up.

I know 2 people who have died suddenly this year alone.

This thing worries me greatly.

Hopefully medical professionals will come and help us out

9 Likes

Re: Heart Attacks And Hemorrhagic Strokes: Do Nigerians Survive These Attacks? by 7BigSquids: 12:54pm On Dec 09, 2020
Okay

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

PTF On COVID-19 Arrives Cross River State On Fact Finding Mission / Bill Gates Warns Of Terror-Sponsored Smallpox Pandemic, Seeks Research Funds / Nigerian Nurse Threatens To Sue PUNCH NEWSPAPER Over Defamatory Publications.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 44
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.