Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,513 members, 7,816,239 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:08 AM

Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) (4483 Views)

David Onwualu Beaten By St.Valerian Catholic School Teacher, Died & Buried / Henry Suubi: Viral Photo Changed Makerere University Student's Life In Uganda / Nigerian Police Presents Bicycle To A 3-Yr-old Boy For His Fearless Viral Debate (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Nobody: 4:56pm On Dec 11, 2020
A secret stash of gold coins dating back to King Henry VIII's reign have been found in an English garden.

Experts think a priest could have hidden the coins back in the 1540s.

The treasure was unearthed when a family were weeding their garden in the New Forest district of Hampshire.

Some of the coins date back to the 1400s and some show depictions of the infamous Henry VIII and Kind Edward IV.

King Henry VIII’s reigned over England from 1509 till 1547 when he died.

The stash contains 63 gold coins and one silver coin that were minted over a period of 100 years.

It's likely they were being used as currency in the late 15th to the 16th centuries before being buried for safe keeping.

Four of the rare gold coins depicting Henry VIII also have the initials of three of his wives inscribed on them.

The initials seem to stand for his first three wives Catherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn and Jane Seymour.

It seems that Henry VIII wanted to put the initials of whoever his wife was at the time on his coins but stopped this practice after Jane.

Henry famously divorced Catherine, beheaded Anne and lost Jane when she died after giving birth to their son.

The family who found the treasure contacted the British Museum because of its Portable Antiquities Scheme (PAS) that works with people in the UK who find important artefacts.

The British Museum said in a statement: "63 gold coins and 1 silver coin of Edward IV through to Henry VIII, and deposited in about 1540, were uncovered in the New Forest area, Hampshire as the finders pulled out weeds in their garden.

"Ranging across nearly a century, dating from the late 15th to early 16th centuries, the hoard includes four coins from Henry VIII’s reign, unusually featuring the initials of his wives Catherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn and Jane Seymour.

"The total value of the coins far exceeds the average annual wage in the Tudor period, but it is not yet clear whether this was a saving hoard which was regularly deposited into or if the coins were buried all at once."

Barrie Cook, a curator of medieval and early modern coins at the British Museum, told The Guardian that the value of the coins was around £24 in the Tudor period.

The equates to $18,600 (£14,000) today.

However, they're now considered priceless and invaluable artefacts.

Experts think a merchant or clergy member buried the coins when they were trying to hide their wealth.

The golden coins are just one of 47,000 finds documented by the PAS this year.

Source: https://www.thesun.co.uk/tech/13448494/gold-coins-found-in-garden-tudor/
Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Ofemmanu1: 5:00pm On Dec 11, 2020
1400?!

1 Like

Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Kriss216: 5:02pm On Dec 11, 2020
M
Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Amotolongbo(f): 5:02pm On Dec 11, 2020
The initials seem to stand for his first three wives Catherine of Aragon, Anne Boleyn and Jane Seymour.
I can remember this rhyme about the fates of the 6 wives he married;

Divorced, Beheaded, Died
Divorced, Beheaded, Survived.

Catherine of Aragon was part of the origin and history of the Anglican Church.
And her parents played historical roles in the conquest of moors in Spain (Castilles and Aragon) And Christopher Columbus discovery of American continent

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Karlifate: 5:08pm On Dec 11, 2020

Experts think a merchant or clergy member buried the coins when they were trying to hide their wealth.

Hmmm...

A secret is simply a delayed news.

cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by sylve11: 5:19pm On Dec 11, 2020
Karlifate:

Hmmm...

A secret is simply a delayed news.

cheesy cheesy

Not true, i will take your secret to my grave. I do not spill, even when my eyes sees. Bring a gun, point at me, i will tell you i do not know. That's just me. cool

1 Like

Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Karlifate: 5:23pm On Dec 11, 2020
sylve11:

Not true, i will take your secret to my grave. I do not spill, even when my eyes sees. Bring a gun, point at me, i will tell you i do not know. That's just me. cool

An exception does not nullify the majority.

Besides, I made a comment based on the post I quoted.

3 Likes

Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by ValCon888: 6:32pm On Dec 11, 2020
The vintage value of the gold coins is greater than its monetary value.

3 Likes

Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Dracking(m): 7:07pm On Dec 11, 2020
Omo make I come bury the few of Nigerian coin in our place and leave the map for my

2 Likes

Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Thoryeeb(m): 7:17pm On Dec 11, 2020
Dracking:
Omo make I come bury the few of Nigerian coin in our place and leave the map for my
for where
Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Dracking(m): 7:19pm On Dec 11, 2020
Thoryeeb:
for where
I go tell you. You wan harvest my coin. Hahahahaha

1 Like

Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Thoryeeb(m): 7:21pm On Dec 11, 2020
Dracking:
I go tell you. You wan harvest my coin. Hahahahaha
grin

2 Likes

Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Nairalandwizerd(m): 7:51pm On Dec 11, 2020
Orisirisi
Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Jaapu: 8:28pm On Dec 11, 2020
E don tey men dey hide wealth.It is an act of foolishness to me. Nigeria Politicians will never learn.

2 Likes

Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Quelme: 9:02pm On Dec 11, 2020
This one na palliative!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by abosede93452: 9:08pm On Dec 11, 2020
The vintage value of the gold coins is greater than its monetary value.

2 Likes

Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Paperworka: 9:16pm On Dec 11, 2020
Return those Golds angryto Ghana or Zamfara, they were stolen items

1 Like

Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by GreaterFuture(m): 9:41pm On Dec 11, 2020
Material things
Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Dreyton36: 9:54pm On Dec 11, 2020
sylve11:

Oya keep this secret to your grave
Most guys here just can't wait to fvck @Zzor just cuz of her Savage replies grin

Lights up my kpoli in peace

1 Like

Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by lincsnuel: 10:34pm On Dec 11, 2020
The person wey discover this thing don blow o... Especially if na Naija guy! grin

Oyibo person fit just free am but if na Naija guy forgerrit... You must settle him! grin
Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Nobody: 11:17pm On Dec 11, 2020
Do they still have any value?

They look cheap.
Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Nobody: 1:03am On Dec 12, 2020
Dreyton36:

Oya keep this secret to your grave
Most guys here just can't wait to fvck @Zzor just cuz of her Savage replies grin

Lights up my kpoli in peace

You talk too much

1 Like

Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Nobody: 1:05am On Dec 12, 2020
CalliDora1:
Do they still have any value?

They look cheap.

Try and read na.
E no hard.
No be tomorrow u jump inside concorde benz call am c350 .
Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Nobody: 1:09am On Dec 12, 2020
GayPontiff:

Try and read na.
E no hard.
No be tomorrow u jump inside concorde benz call am c350 .

It's too long jor. At least, you read it. So you can tell me.
Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Onyenna(m): 2:39am On Dec 12, 2020
Nice
Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Nobody: 3:23am On Dec 12, 2020
Amotolongbo:
I can remember this rhyme about the fates of the 6 wives he married;

Divorced, Beheaded, Died
Divorced, Beheaded, Survived.

Catherine of Aragon was part of the origin and history of the Anglican Church.
And her parents played historical roles in the conquest of moors in Spain (Castilles and Aragon) And Christopher Columbus discovery of American continent

An expert in Tudor history...

I can't believe it. smiley

Well rendered, madam. Well rendered.
Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Amotolongbo(f): 5:03am On Dec 12, 2020
mansakhalifa:

An expert in Tudor history...

I can't believe it. smiley

Well rendered, madam. Well rendered.
Thanks so much sir

1 Like

Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by femi4: 6:33am On Dec 12, 2020
What a King

Henry famously divorced Catherine, beheaded Anne and lost Jane when she died after giving birth to their son
Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Roon9(m): 7:46am On Dec 12, 2020
Tudors! That's one classic series
Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by Benwallt(m): 8:28am On Dec 12, 2020
sylve11:

You just spilled that guy secret by quoting him. Who send you?

1 Like

Re: Stash Of 500 Yr Old Gold Coins Buried During King King Henry Viii’s Reign (Pics) by addictiv(m): 9:20am On Dec 12, 2020
It's funny that he started the Anglican church because the Catholic Church refused to annul his marriage to Catherine of Aragon, whom he inherited from his brother. In essence he started a church that exists till today because he wanted to divorce his wife and marry someone else.

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Big Modern Primary School With Students At Agbado Lagos Is For Sale!!! (Pics) / University Of Abuja Postgraduate Forms On Sale. / Nigerian Man Marries His Secondary School Mate, 15 Years Later (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.