Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,533 members, 7,819,914 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:30 AM

Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education (29310 Views)

75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF / My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help / Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by joyandfaith: 7:40am On Dec 12, 2020
xProfx:

Yea, it's directly the school's fault. If someone can pass all exams without being able to read or write, they should be made to explain the magic.

The cheapest Nigerian schools will make you sweat before graduating, so I have reasons to believe these schools are not even Nigerian Universities...

They could be Nigeria schools as well. Sex for grades , influences for good scores,money for marks etc are rampant nowadays.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by johnnychuks(m): 7:42am On Dec 12, 2020
that's can only happened in the northern part of Nigeria, even you do you qualify to be in that post?
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Decent09(m): 7:42am On Dec 12, 2020
PhDinView:
He should have been specific:

Many Hausa and Fulani Nigerian graduates FROM THE NORTH can't read and write.

Oboy go and defend your Arrange Phd
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by femi4: 7:45am On Dec 12, 2020
PhDinView:

Exactly, how many of them from the North even completed secondary school
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by toye440: 7:45am On Dec 12, 2020
If u generalize it i think i will disagree with u cos the ones u refer to come from a particular region and na dem dey get federal job. Now if u tell me 90% of Nigerian graduates cant write a good, error free and concise formal letter, I think yes am with u on this one.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by KayCee92(m): 7:49am On Dec 12, 2020
Lol... Thank God, we are not among the "many". grin
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Nobody: 7:50am On Dec 12, 2020
nautybride:
The minister no dey okay.
In fact you no get mouth for read ND write matters. We can do better than the president and his cabinet members.

Okay! "Engrish is not our murder language "
It's just a lingua franca imposed on us by slave masters. We mumuishly follow.
Murder what?
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ObaKlaz: 7:51am On Dec 12, 2020
uuzba:

Japanese students can't speak English.
Chinese graduates can't speak English or Japanese.
German graduates can't speak English...

This guy just didn't learn English. Simple. Go and find out where he is now. He's speaking whatever language he knows and doing his business. he just doesn't give a fxxxx about English doesn't mean he is stupid.
Here comes this flawed logic again! They don't speak English BECAUSE IT ISN'T THEIR OFFICIAL LANGUAGE! Here, English is the official medium of communication, written and verbal. It's also the official instructional language for education from elementary to tertiary levels. Bringing China et al into this is just an attempt to defend mediocrity. The States and The UK are doing awesome because THEIR EDUCATION SYSTEM is top notch. The right pegs in the right holes everywhere. AND THEY SPEAK ENGLISH! The rot in Nigeria's education is SYSTEMATIC.

Excuse me!

3 Likes

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Sheriman(m): 7:53am On Dec 12, 2020
Let's not push this argument further anymore. Even on Nairaland here some guys will type their wacking English sentence like kilode Some are hiding under this "After all, English is not our mother's language and oyinbo people too can't speak our local language"
We are English speaking country for God's sake and our official language is English, so it is a must for all of us especially those amongst us who went to school to have this communication skills and be able to communicate so well with it without speaking jargons.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ORIAYO70(m): 7:53am On Dec 12, 2020
ObaKlaz:
I wondered just HOW some of my coursemates gained admission into the school when I was an undergrad.
They can't even string simple, error-free sentences together!

They are all around us. Garbage in, garbage out!
Was it not one of them that posted "I am a CORPSE member" on Facebook some years ago? Then, they defend/console themselves with "English is not our mother tongue" and "Na who pass sabi book!"

Y'all quoting me to say it could be Auto-correct, I thought it might be, too. So, I checked out his previous posts. Dude dropped more bombs than North Korea!

And no, he ain't a Northerner.

Guy abeg no kee me with laff.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by brainhgeek(m): 7:54am On Dec 12, 2020
Although this is embarrassingly true, you guys actually set the tone. The ministery of education has always been a failed ministry in Nigeria.
Incompetent hands everywhere
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by InvertedHammer: 7:54am On Dec 12, 2020
ObaKlaz:
Here comes this flawed logic again! They don't speak English BECAUSE IT ISN'T THEIR OFFICIAL LANGUAGE! Here, English is the official medium of communication, oral and verbal. It's also the official instructional language for education from elementary to tertiary levels. Bringing China et al into this is just an attempt to defend mediocrity. The States and The UK are doing awesome because THEIR EDUCATION SYSTEM is top notch. The right pegs in the right holes everywhere. AND THEY SPEAK ENGLISH! The rot in Nigeria's education is SYSTEMATIC.

Excuse me!
/
The Minister said the graduates cannot read or write. You automatically assumed it is in English language. He didn't mention any language. You are one of the illiterates he talked about.

/

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by toye440: 7:55am On Dec 12, 2020
femi4:
Exactly, how many of them from the North even completed secondary school
They dont hv to, its why they introduced NBIAS, such that when u and i are busy battling physics, chemistry, further maths and biology their boys just only need to present Nbias Certificate to get admission into any tertiary institution. Just imagine arabic studies as a prequisite for Engineering Or Medicine.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by spiritmasquerad(m): 7:56am On Dec 12, 2020
PhDinView:

Not only them
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Karleb(m): 7:56am On Dec 12, 2020
Ekpekus:
Even the president of the country can't

grin grin
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Ferdinandu(m): 7:57am On Dec 12, 2020
Some people have learning disabilities like dyslexia which is a lifelong battle and that is probably the only reason why someone who have gone through Tertiary Education will not be able to read and write well .Even people with above average intelligence suffers from this. Even our so called Minister of Miseducation didn't even know this and I thought they said he is a Professor.
It is our system and and people with low IQ we put as our Minister of Education because of Quota system that failed those people, they are not failure themselves. embarassed

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Hassanmaye(m): 7:57am On Dec 12, 2020
Blood of Zachariah!
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by bluefilm: 7:57am On Dec 12, 2020
The man is right.

I read a lot of rubbish here from so many nairalanders.

You start to wonder how such people managed to pass their WAEC English.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Newton85: 7:57am On Dec 12, 2020
Lol, that's no news. It's very obvious. Not only can many Nigerian "graduates" not read and write, they are also utterly brainless and gullible. Even the ones that can read and write among them are semi-literate.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by spiritmasquerad(m): 7:58am On Dec 12, 2020
johnnychuks:
that's can only happened in the northern part of Nigeria, even you do you qualify to be in that post?
Not only them but they are majority
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Igbankpa(m): 7:58am On Dec 12, 2020
Kingzy4pep:
He meant Northern graduates
exactly
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by bluefilm: 7:58am On Dec 12, 2020
InvertedHammer:

/
The Minister said the graduates cannot read or write. You automatically assumed it is in English language. He didn't mention any language. You are one of the illiterates he talked about.

/

How many applications have you written in Hausa? undecided
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by WeRblessed(f): 7:58am On Dec 12, 2020
Many of them don't even know the difference between being and been. Most of them use am instead of I'm. Totally disgraceful! Very easy to spot a Nigerian email scam. They also use big antiquated English grammar. No skill, no work experience...All most of them have is BS degree, masters, PHD, but no skills. It's very painful.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Donspicey: 7:59am On Dec 12, 2020
PhDinView:

Big lie bro.....

I attended primary school in borno state....

Secondary in kaduna state......

Higher institution in kwara state......

served in sokoto state......

Mehn wetin my eyes see for kwara state no be here......

What the minister said is common among the yoruba graduates.....

Thats jst the bitter truth bro.....

most of dem cant even speak pidgin bt dem go dey form English masters....

3 Likes

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Nobody: 8:00am On Dec 12, 2020
joyandfaith:

They could be Nigeria schools as well. Sex for grades , influences for good scores,money for marks etc are rampant nowadays.

Well anything is possible but from my experience, you can't possibly bribe your way through all courses, not all lecturers are like that, not even the majority... So basic communication would still be required. It's very hard to imagine that can even happen in the first place.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Newton85: 8:02am On Dec 12, 2020
PhDinView:

True. But while the vast majority of these Nigerian "graduates" are surely Hausa and Fulani, let's not pretend that many Southern "graduates" aren't blockheads too.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by rhazur(m): 8:02am On Dec 12, 2020
Awon ti naked wire poly
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ObaKlaz: 8:04am On Dec 12, 2020
InvertedHammer:

/

/
NONE of Nigeria's indigenous languages is the OFFICIAL LANGUAGE FOR LEARNING, from elementary to tertiary levels, it's ENGLISH.

Being clever is not for you. Go play with your peers!

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Ferdinandu(m): 8:07am On Dec 12, 2020
InvertedHammer:

/

/
There is reading and writing disability which if diagonised early in certain individuals, they can still function well in their chosen field and so it is not really their fault but the fault of system we have who put such people who doesn't know this as our Minister of Education. Some people go through life thinking they are dumb but it is because of undiagnosed disability
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ObaKlaz: 8:08am On Dec 12, 2020
bluefilm:

How many applications have you written in Hausa? undecided
Don't mind the dummy.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Queseda: 8:09am On Dec 12, 2020
Kingzy4pep:
He meant Northern graduates
No. He's talking about Igbo graduates
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Frankbaro(m): 8:10am On Dec 12, 2020
You're right mallam minister, unfortunately many of those that can't read and write, are quota system graduates from your zone. Let the quota system continue

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Job Boutros Eteng: Missing UNICAL Final Year Student (Photo) / This Disable Man Crawls Half Kilometer Every Day To School In Niger State(photos / Mention That Topic In Mathematics, That You Still Do Not Understand.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.