Stats: 3,153,659 members, 7,820,321 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:01 PM

Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education - Education (9) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education (29312 Views)

75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF / My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help / Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Exodora: 6:00pm On Dec 12, 2020
idahme:

Like Niger Delta Minister God'swill Akpabio or the Gov Udom Emmanuel you mean? your answer may be no to my question. If you want to speak or write English do it well to pass your line of thought to others.
What is your problem .
Like you make me paranoid and tell me how to process it.
If I get you well we are on same page.
The people that you mentioned above may have a bit of interference while they speak but that isn't what I might .
Their English is bad take it or leave it I care less.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by MadeMan01(m): 6:17pm On Dec 12, 2020
uuzba:

I have a classmate of mechanical Engineering who used to blow bomb everytime in English. I was there laughing at him..
Today, guy has done PhD in United Kingdom. He has documents and is living there standard.
We still spoke on WhatsApp last year and he's still blowing bomb in his English. He's properlyb organising IMechE events in UK.
The guy is intelligent. He just doesn't give a fxxx a out English.

This is a rare case.
The vast majority who aren't worth their certificate sort their way and sex their way to degrees. That is why foreign civilized nations insist on appraising our transcript
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Akmukoro: 6:18pm On Dec 12, 2020
l wonder why no one seems to be talking about what I think is the biggest challenge in the educational sector today which is examination malpractice

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ensamy(m): 6:19pm On Dec 12, 2020
So true, especially Polytechnic and College of Education graduates. I have met many of such and had a privilege to interview some at a job interview .
So true. angry grin grin

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by t2luv1: 7:28pm On Dec 12, 2020
parkervero:
Graduates in the northern part are mostly in this category.

Then how come there are more of them in top positions in the country?
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Amarisco(f): 7:34pm On Dec 12, 2020
womenareapes:
na there you lie!

Na people were never traveled out of his local government area dey talk rubbish like this!
Many universities are exempting Nigeria for taking that English exam if you are seeking to further study abroad!

The standard of that English exam in Nigeria is so higher than any other countries seeking that exam because Nigeria use to blast that exam with higher scores so they increase the point standard!

You people will be coming here and be talk rubbish

It costs nothing to educate yourself.

Please see below and stand corrected.

Nonsense.

https://www.gov.uk/student-visa/knowledge-of-english

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Amarisco(f): 7:36pm On Dec 12, 2020
LikeAking:

We Nigerian are just naturally negative by nature. The ratio that cant read n write is very small and irrelevant to the graduate population.

We see only the negatives.

Prospective students have to pay and take additional English exams to prove their literacy, even if they have a PhD - all because it’s obtained in Nigeria. Imagine the insult This is happening because we dont know our rights and also love exploitation. The whites have seen us a s magas. Another is reason is because Nigeria is over supplying them with graduate population.

Nigerian grads are very smart and literate, Only a very few grads are on the down side.

The Nigerian man focus too much on minor negativity and not the major positivity.

I’m with you bros.

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Mrbenny001: 7:40pm On Dec 12, 2020
You be mumu o, but you sound a bit intelligence than the minister you're trying to defend, why not advise him to come up with such policy ,
where we can be learning science and technology in our local languages and see Africa develop very fast.. teacher teaching nonsense
mustyguy:
bro you be fool, so you mean say education minister no fit read and write, that was why he graduated from an ivy league University in US which is rated among top ten best Universities, keep wasting your time insulting northerners on nairaland while they are achieving what you can never achieve, if English is the measure of intelligence most countries like china, Korea, France, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Japan, India will be behind nigeria.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Nobody: 8:19pm On Dec 12, 2020
And your children can read & write in English Language perhaps because they school Abroad.... Even your president Don't have sch Certificate......,
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by womenareapes: 8:20pm On Dec 12, 2020
Amarisco:

It costs nothing to educate yourself.

Please see below and stand corrected.

Nonsense.

https://www.gov.uk/student-visa/knowledge-of-english
you are very foolish undecided

UK are know for there bias even towards there colonist!

is UK the only country abroad? undecided

in UK immediately you graduated you will be taking your next plane back to this shithole, if not recently they relax it to 2yrs stay after graduation!

Canada, US and some do exempt Nigeria!

go educated yourself little girl and don't tell me what you don't know if your leg haven't leave your local area government! undecided
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Charly68: 8:49pm On Dec 12, 2020
Our education system too has been infested with the demon of corruption..
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by offset67(m): 8:50pm On Dec 12, 2020
shit like this happens when you have a mallam as minister of education
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Kingzy4pep(m): 9:23pm On Dec 12, 2020
Queseda:

No. He's talking about Igbo graduates
Seems someone is pained here.

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by LucemFerre: 9:35pm On Dec 12, 2020
Many ministers and senators are also dullards. How can a blind man lead blind man?
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by sayisayi(m): 10:46pm On Dec 12, 2020
flavnwokem:
Yes they have been ruling but you can see the result, a Shit hole of a country with the worst value in all human indices. Is it not obvious to you?

Na so....English knew how to bazooka Nigeria's future
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by engrchykae(m): 11:16pm On Dec 12, 2020
And you as minister of education allowed assu to be on strike almost a whole year.
A useless minister under a NEPA bill certificate president.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Coolgent(m): 11:21pm On Dec 12, 2020
PhDinView:
He should have been specific:

Many Hausa and Fulani Nigerian graduates FROM THE NORTH can't read and write.
Shame on you tribal bigot!
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by BlessedNiel: 11:22pm On Dec 12, 2020
This is what you get when bloody hypocrites are "in charge"
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Amarisco(f): 1:42am On Dec 13, 2020
womenareapes:
you are very foolish undecided

UK are know for there bias even towards there colonist!

is UK the only country abroad? undecided

in UK immediately you graduated you will be taking your next plane back to this shithole, if not recently they relax it to 2yrs stay after graduation!

Canada, US and some do exempt Nigeria!

go educated yourself little girl and don't tell me what you don't know if your leg haven't leave your local area government! undecided

You said I lied, I presented facts and now you are saying UK is one country out of many,. You’re boring me now.

Meanwhile, as you self-educate, I advise you go and learn either adequate pidgin or English because your grammar on either side is acutely abysmal

People like you are exactly why this thread was conceived. cry
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by idahme(m): 4:14am On Dec 13, 2020
Exodora:

What is your problem .
Like you make me paranoid and tell me how to process it.
If I get you well we are on same page.
The people that you mentioned above may have a bit of interference while they speak but that isn't what I might .
Their English is bad take it or leave it I care less.

You care less and you commented about them? Your comment just confirms my earlier assertions that you based your notion on mother tongue rather than whether the people you referred to can process and exude written and spoken English correctly. That notion is wrong, those who don't have the skills to read and write and chun out good spoken words are different from those who can do all correctly but do it with mother tongue interference. Unfortunately your comment was generic that is why I asked that question just to affirm your line of thought, which you just confirmed with statements on the two cited persons who possess great oratory skills and have distinguished themselves in private sectors before venturing into the public Space..
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by MummyD2020(f): 6:21am On Dec 13, 2020
Sleekfingers:
The minister is not far from the truth.....most of them just went to school for the certificates......

I think the larger chunk of those graduates are from the north....

Even right here in lagos....most of them speaks terrible english. They cant really express themselves. They got angry even when u try to correct them. They cant engage in an insult free conversation or argument.....they insult you when you have a contrary opinion to theirs.....especially on nairaland......bunch of olodo graduates.......

How on earth can a graduate cannot speak or write in a simple or error free english.....na yoruba , igbo, hausa or ijaw dem dey use teach for school now? Na to dey carry phone up and down dey type thrash on the internet dem know or to dey carry yansh up and down ....awon olodo generation......

Go through your write-up. Its filled with errors to.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Babastrong(m): 7:43am On Dec 13, 2020
Omo gbooju! even one of our former first ladies could not speak correct english. yeee, who stoned me?
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Obarofrederick(m): 11:03am On Dec 13, 2020
dominique:

There is a difference between not being fluent in English and being unable to speak it. She couldn't communicate with camp officials because she doesn't understand English, they had to call and Igbo corper to serve as a translator. She was eventually sent away from camp. Another one that managed to escape from camp couldn't read the offer letter given to her at her PPA. She couldn't write her name in forms given to her, another 2:1 product o. She was reported to NYSC and expelled from service
I'm finding it difficult to believe this. How did she manage to answer questions thrown at her when she was still in school before she graduate.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Exodora: 3:25pm On Dec 13, 2020
idahme:

You care less and you commented about them? Your comment just confirms my earlier assertions that you based your notion on mother tongue rather than whether the people you referred to can process and exude written and spoken English correctly. That notion is wrong, those who don't have the skills to read and write and chun out good spoken words are different from those who can do all correctly but do it with mother tongue interference. Unfortunately your comment was generic that is why I asked that question just to affirm your line of thought, which you just confirmed with statements on the two cited persons who possess great oratory skills and have distinguished themselves in private sectors before venturing into the public Space..
You still didn't get me . My assertion is not base on interference . I meant it when I said most of them. I have friends from there and am telling you my observation .
I 'm sorry if you are from there and offended too but is just the truth .
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by frankosivue(m): 3:55pm On Dec 13, 2020
womenareapes:
so true!

If you attend any northern federal and state university you will know that you enter school!

Many Yoruba graduates only know how to speak English but nothing upstairs I swear!

I don't rate Northern Nigeria state universities.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by frankosivue(m): 4:04pm On Dec 13, 2020
Newray:
Mr Minister is so true..
Is majorly northerner graduate that can't read and write..

Imagine chibok girl who were writing waec but can't speak English and write..

When I served in the north I was made to understand that University students in the north . Lecturer don't dare give them carryover or fail any course..

//When I served in the north I was made to understand that University students in the north . Lecturer don't dare give them carryover or fail any course..//

Mention one University in the North that students don't get carry over. Just one.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by laurelbae(f): 6:52pm On Dec 13, 2020
Cry me a river. The value of education in Nigeria is no more. Teachers on both private & public schools aren't allowed to record actual scores of students. You must pass & promote everyone.
One northern teacher was lamenting that most Jss 3 students can not read a simple sentence, he became angry & reported to the principal. He was asked to allow them write junior WAEC.
Until we start doing the right, nothing will change �
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Nobody: 10:41am On Dec 23, 2020
Verified cashapp and green dot fund available
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by backnbeta(f): 8:47am On Jan 12, 2021
He's not lying, he's referring to his 'fifu' grin... Listening to our brothers and sisters from the North during PhD seminar presentations will keep you wondering if they passed through secondary school at all undecided
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Nobody: 11:57am On Jan 12, 2021
But what's the essence of being so good at reading,writing and speaking English when you are not making enough money from it??
The success of an individual is impossible without luck so it's not just about knowing how to speak or knowing what to say.
It's also about knowing who to address.
You can't have such contacts/connections except by chance.
Anyway, this life don dey tire me
I just dey wait for the day wey I go die

(1) (2) (3) ... (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

This Disable Man Crawls Half Kilometer Every Day To School In Niger State(photos / "Copied In All But Caught In None", Graduate's Sign Out Picture Surfaces Online / No More 'How Was Your Night?'!

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53