Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,518 members, 7,823,227 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education - Education (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education (29319 Views)

75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF / My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help / Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by LikeAking: 6:52am On Dec 12, 2020
How about the majority that can read and write.
Oga stop been negative.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Engrr(m): 6:53am On Dec 12, 2020
.......And what is he waiting for to resign for incompetence
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by menix(m): 6:55am On Dec 12, 2020
60% - North
30% - East
10% - Others...

Before u come blazing, take away sentiments..
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by mustyguy(m): 6:57am On Dec 12, 2020
Mrbenny001:
Mostly northern graduate including himself
bro you be fool, so you mean say education minister no fit read and write, that was why he graduated from an ivy league University in US which is rated among top ten best Universities, keep wasting your time insulting northerners on nairaland while they are achieving what you can never achieve, if English is the measure of intelligence most countries like china, Korea, France, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Japan, India will be behind nigeria.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ojuu4u(m): 6:58am On Dec 12, 2020
If you want to see level of education decadence just go to private schools and discuss with those who used to conduct interviews for graduates that seeking employments into private schools

My friend said, whenever they came, they would collect application letters they came with, they would give them another papers to write fresh application letters............come and see sweat oozing out from naija graduates that came for private schools interviews.

From my brother's angle. He said, he would give them any past questions of S S 1 to solve, .................naija English graduates scoring 8/50, 5/50, 15/50 on past questions of English language, meant for SS 1 students.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by fastlane84: 6:58am On Dec 12, 2020
ObaKlaz:
I wondered just HOW some of my coursemates gained admission into the school when I was an undergrad.
They can't even string simple, error-free sentences together!

They are all around us. Garbage in, garbage out!
Was it not one of them that posted "I am a CORPSE member" on Facebook some years ago? Then, they defend/console themselves with "English is not our mother tongue" and "Na who pass sabi book!"

might be typo error. .. nowadays you write duck on your phone somehow it turns to f.....k

so no blame that ajuwaya.

want to earn every 10 days. ..join chymall
08035358364 for more information
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Amarisco(f): 6:59am On Dec 12, 2020
LikeAking:
Oga stop been negative.

Funny you say that.

The situation is actually so terrible that international universities don’t even consider Nigeria an English speaking country, despite it being our national language grin.

Prospective students have to pay and take additional English exams to prove their literacy, even if they have a PhD - all because it’s obtained in Nigeria. Imagine the insult.

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by general111(m): 7:00am On Dec 12, 2020
During my nysc, i met a lot of graduates especially from the north who coudnt read nor write.
I am not saying that all northern graduates are dumb, but a lot of them bought their certificate.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Fuckingmallam45(m): 7:00am On Dec 12, 2020
owobokiri:
Folks don't know how important it is to train teachers. You train teachers the way you train students. Teaching needs skills. It's one thing to be versed in a field, it's a different thing to have the requisite skills needed to impact knowledge. An educated person who lacks the skills to teach is almost as useless to the students as an illiterate. It's a good teacher that raises good students. This is why the teachers training colleges that have been perennially underfunded need to be revatilised. . It's there that you mould the teachers with the skills and mannerisms needed to be great teachers. Again, this idea of recruiting corpers straight out of the universities into teaching roles because it's easier and cheaper, without any formal trainings might be counterproductive as most of them can't impact knowledge effectively..
Well said bro. Someone might be intelligent but his presentation is nothing to write home about.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by dominique(f): 7:03am On Dec 12, 2020
flyingpig:
northerner?

From Enugu. She eventually got sent away from camp
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by charlesucheh(m): 7:04am On Dec 12, 2020
especially in the NORTH.

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by lomprico(m): 7:04am On Dec 12, 2020
especially northern graduates

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Myhusband(m): 7:04am On Dec 12, 2020
dominique:
I saw one during my youth service that couldn't even speak English yet graduated with a 2:1

I've a friend who can't speak fluent English, he doesn't even have English accent but he can construct good sentence while writing, he's very intelligent but speaking of good English is usually a big deal for him

so speaking and writing I think is a two different thing, so far is 2.1 can be prove through written then I can't rule the person out except, if na shortcut person

4 Likes

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by CasNova: 7:05am On Dec 12, 2020
Too bad.

The graduates are a reflection of the rot in Nigerian society.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Fuckingmallam45(m): 7:05am On Dec 12, 2020
anochuko01:
Leave them, they aren't complaining to you either. What has become of the ones that can read and write? Npower?
He might have his shortcomings, but that doesn’t mean that he cannot state out what’s not proper in the Country. Even the ones that enrolled for the Npower, who told you that, they can read and write?
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by nnamdi640: 7:05am On Dec 12, 2020
China don't speak English and yet they are great.....
Speaking English or writing in English is not a ticket to success. Hope you know that your boss who choose you as minister is a case study. Bubu own is worst because he doesn't understand English,that is why he speaks off point whenever they interviewed him.

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Carlylepneuma: 7:05am On Dec 12, 2020
PhDinView:
He should have been specific:

Many Hausa and Fulani Nigerian graduates FROM THE NORTH can't read and write.
yet they have been rulin y'all articulated enlightened, graduates frm time imemorial and ur educated ass has done nothin about it...e
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Nobody: 7:06am On Dec 12, 2020
timesup234:
Graduate is overhyped. Education in form of schooling is stupidity

Shebi na the system wey una country don build. Anyone without that paper is considered useless... Talents have been wasted because of that stupid paper called certificate. Na him make everybody dey rush go collect am by fire by force. grin

2 Likes

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by JordanMichael(m): 7:06am On Dec 12, 2020
Freestainworld:
Same way our president can't write, does he even have WAEC?
grin

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 7:06am On Dec 12, 2020
Amotolongbo:

Truth

I think the problems lie more with the government, so they have the major part of the solution to offer, not the teachers and students.

The known fact is that, apart from the unity schools in Nigeria, government hardly takes care or show concern to the other public primary and secondary schools.
In the past, there are always inspectors from the LIE(Local Inspectors of Education) and School Boards who always make emergency and unnoticed visitation to primary and secondary schools to spy on the teachers and the Principals, check the lesson notes and the teaching skills, where are they now?
Are they still doing these?

Reading and writing in a tolerable manner are learnt during the course of Basic education (6-3). If a student can’t get it right during the basic education course, he may not likely get it right again.
How then is it justified moving these students to University through quota system in our tertiary education admission, neglecting the place of the mean cut off marks?

Government also has to make sure there is a solid body or council with the task of registering qualified teachers and annual upgrade of teachers that will be recruited into the private and public schools. Not any Tom, Dick and Harry can teach and impact knowledge.
I have met lecturers in this country who can't express themselves well either in written or spoken English and were given the jobs even though more sound graduates applied for same. The minister should shut up, we know how recruitment are done in this country. They should continue practicing nepotism, someday we will get to the destination. The doctors that are trained by this extremely flawed system will treat them and their children someday.

3 Likes

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by emmydee(m): 7:06am On Dec 12, 2020
I tell you. Abegi, increase the volume!
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by naijadrivablog: 7:07am On Dec 12, 2020
You mean "northern graduates"

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by themaestro08(m): 7:08am On Dec 12, 2020
kokkubabboni421:
In as much as I’d like to disagree, a large percentage of Nigerian graduates can’t read nor speak good English.
It’s a given English isn’t our language, but we were coerced to speak it hence we need it to communicate since we bare the tag “Graduates “
During my NYSC days in Ogun, you’d be surprised that a so called graduate cannot spell properly let alone speak correct English.

Most undergraduates are in school having little or no idea of what they’re doing.
It takes more than a degree to be called a graduate
That said, you can’t really blame them, the system is messed up, imagine our university in the supposed giant of Africa is on strike and students have little or no idea when it would be called off.. we need a total rebirth in Nigeria, because from the look of things, we are far from redemption

70% of the blame should go to the government.

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Fuckingmallam45(m): 7:09am On Dec 12, 2020
asuquoabel585:
grin the Fault Is From the One Leading This Nation 'because He can't Speak English' THAT IS WHILE LIFE IS SO HARD FOR THE COMMON MAN
It’s not as if he cannot speak English at all, just that he cannot speak good English.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by hallelluyah(m): 7:10am On Dec 12, 2020
THAT HAPPENS IN THE NORTH OBVIOUSLY! NA DEM DEM NA! LOOK FOR HAUSA CORPERS AND CONFIRM YOURSEL!

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by uunwanaobong3: 7:11am On Dec 12, 2020
The real topic should be....... MANY NORTHERN GRADUATES CAN NOT READ OR WRITE including the president and the security chiefs

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Fuckingmallam45(m): 7:11am On Dec 12, 2020
Tajolo:
Nigerian government is to be blame.
To be blamed, you too Dey f...ck up

2 Likes

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 7:12am On Dec 12, 2020
PhDinView:
He should have been specific:

Many Hausa and Fulani Nigerian graduates FROM THE NORTH can't read and write.
Lol I have always been told that northerners are not sound academically and the southerners are the opposite and I believed it till i went to the NYSC orientation camp. I saw the southern corpers speaking pidgin English up and down, I thought they were being casual, I laughed when I realised most of then couldn't communicate properly in English.

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Fuckingmallam45(m): 7:14am On Dec 12, 2020
LikeAking:
Oga stop been negative.
Certainly for those people, there’s light at the end of the tunnel.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Cutehector(m): 7:14am On Dec 12, 2020
cheesy
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Kulushkalash(m): 7:15am On Dec 12, 2020
This one na ode o...

What data has he used to vet this claim?

Anyways tho, since the US can because of religious intolerance in the North tag everyone one of us including the tolerant South and West, I won’t be surprised if this statement from the “honorable minister of education” applies singly to the North yet again!

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

"Copied In All But Caught In None", Graduate's Sign Out Picture Surfaces Online / I Was Expelled From School, I'm Destroying My Life And Future, Help! / No More 'How Was Your Night?'!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.