Stats: 3,155,889 members, 7,828,147 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 03:09 AM

Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education - Education (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education (29335 Views)

75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF / My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help / Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ObaKlaz: 9:06am On Dec 12, 2020
womenareapes:
sorry! I can't argue with someone who haven't left his local area government!

Do fall ill and try to visit one of the hospital I work in. Na English I go use take treat you ode undecided

When you get international experience! Come make we talk like man!
You type like you're so hurt. grin grin Have a nice day, chief!

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by womenareapes: 9:10am On Dec 12, 2020
Donspicey:

Big lie bro.....

I attended primary school in borno state....

Secondary in kaduna state......

Higher institution in kwara state......

served in sokoto state......

Mehn wetin my eyes see for kwara state no be here......

What the minister said is common among the yoruba graduates.....

Thats jst the bitter truth bro.....

most of dem cant even speak pidgin bt dem go dey form English masters....
so true!

If you attend any northern federal and state university you will know that you enter school!

Many Yoruba graduates only know how to speak English but nothing upstairs I swear!
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Exodora: 9:11am On Dec 12, 2020
You seriously need to hear an Akwa Ibom speak English .

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by philipstanley(m): 9:15am On Dec 12, 2020
Freestainworld:
Same way our president can't write, does he even have WAEC?

You can't blame Mr President for not being able to write cos he did not finish secondary school
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ProphetM0hammad: 9:18am On Dec 12, 2020

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by womenareapes: 9:23am On Dec 12, 2020
Sleekfingers:
The minister is not far from the truth.....most of them just went to school for the certificates......

I think the larger chunk of those graduates are from the north....

Even right here in lagos....most of them speaks terrible english. They cant really express themselves. They got angry even when u try to correct them. They cant engage in a insult free conversation or argument.....they insult you when you have a contrary opinion to theirs.....especially on nairaland......bunch of olodo graduates.......

How on earth can a graduate cannot speak or write in a simple or error free english.....na yoruba , igbo, hausa or ijaw dem dey use teach for school now? [s]Na to dey carry phone up and down dey type thrash on the internet dem know or to dey carry yansh up and down ....awon olodo generation[/s]......

PhD in speaking good English grin
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by adewale2011(m): 9:24am On Dec 12, 2020
Big Lie.......
PhDinView:
He should have been specific:

Many Hausa and Fulani Nigerian graduates FROM THE NORTH can't read and write.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Tohsynetita1: 9:26am On Dec 12, 2020
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Myhusband(m): 9:28am On Dec 12, 2020
dominique:

There is a difference between not being fluent in English and being unable to speak it. She couldn't communicate with camp officials because she doesn't understand English, they had to call and Igbo corper to serve as a translator. She was eventually sent away from camp. Another one that managed to escape from camp couldn't read the offer letter given to her at her PPA. She couldn't write her name in forms given to her, another 2:1 product o. She was reported to NYSC and expelled from service

haha that one na school two student. her school should be query
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Mars16(m): 9:30am On Dec 12, 2020
Is whose fault? Is it not the same country that the people that voted this government keep crying everyday for the government to fix the education sector; build schools that can fit in the number of students that we have and equipped those schools with modern facilities, employ teachers and pay them well.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Jyde89: 9:30am On Dec 12, 2020
P1PrinceKT:

I know so many tribe from Igbo/Yoruba South that have the same problem.

I was once at Nnewi, I have being speaking to him asking him for address with simple English but unfortunately that University undergrad do not understand any of my words,

a friend of mine who is good at Pidgin eventually spoke to him.

so it's every where.

equally I have a yoruba classmate who is talkative in class, but if you see his hand Writing you will cRy.

are you for real? I'm not proud of my handwriting either but that shouldn't be a yardstick to measure one's intelligence or fluency or communication in any language.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Pineapplelove: 9:34am On Dec 12, 2020
The. Ones that can read and write are also not employed.

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Angeloihe: 9:40am On Dec 12, 2020
when the cut off for common entrance for pupils in the north like Zamfara and Yobe to be as low as 20 out of 200 in some cases as 5 out 200 to gain admission to unity schools. what were u expecting

what do u expect when u set ume cut off mark at 160 out of 400 (40%) which is absolutely outrageous.
The northern Nigerian elites deliberately reduced the standard of education in Nigeria to slow the pace of development in the south while they continue in their pro Boko Haram activities up there.
THey are the true Boko Haram.
shekau is just one of their products.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ravensckar(m): 9:52am On Dec 12, 2020
Baawaa:
Who's fault
See what this person just typed? Like seriously?

Make una dey type for una Native Language abeg.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by seunayantokun(m): 9:55am On Dec 12, 2020
Hmmmm but na FG spoil am naa.
The problem graduates plenty for core north pass other parts of Nigeria & na dem hold power pass. The solution is restructuring.

The place of leadership in Nigeria needs deliverance, it has become an albatross on our neck and made development difficult.
God please help us!
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Blackdisciple(m): 10:00am On Dec 12, 2020
Jeromejnr:
Why don't they actually pump money into education and stop spending money on the acquisition of SUV's?

A country with Crab mentality.

It's because they hate another man's child to be educated rather their own children

But they never knew that the children they failed to educate will become a torn on their flesh
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by chaloskyx: 10:09am On Dec 12, 2020
IS THAT SO BUT YOUR PRESIDENT WHO YOU REPORT TO CANT READ AND WRITE YET YOU CALL HIM YOUR EXCELENCY AND REPORT TO HIM I HAVE NEVER SEEN A COUNTRY WHICH INSULTS AND PORTRAYS A BAD IMAGE OF THE COUNTRY TO THE WORLD....DAMN NIGERIA YOU HAVE WORTHLESS LEADERS

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Heavance(m): 10:15am On Dec 12, 2020
ObaKlaz:
I] Then, they defend/console themselves with "English is not our mother tongue" and "Na who pass sabi book!"

I lost my cool with that nonsense excuse.
If it isn't, why didn't they learn with their mother tongue from nursery school to at least S.S.3

It is so bad, and we end up crying when USA and Canada tells us to write TOEFL or IELTS
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Goel: 10:23am On Dec 12, 2020
mustyguy:
bro you be fool, so you mean say education minister no fit read and write, that was why he graduated from an ivy league University in US which is rated among top ten best Universities, keep wasting your time insulting northerners on nairaland while they are achieving what you can never achieve, if English is the measure of intelligence most countries like china, Korea, France, UAE, Saudi Arabia, Japan, India will be behind nigeria.
Indians, Koreans, Chinese, French, Saudis and Emiratis are more likely to speak English than Nigerians. They have way higher percentages of people speaking English or capable of it.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by taytee(m): 10:23am On Dec 12, 2020
dominique:
I saw one during my youth service that couldn't even speak English yet graduated with a 2:1
na northern person abi
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by idahme(m): 10:25am On Dec 12, 2020
dominique:
I saw one during my youth service that couldn't even speak English yet graduated with a 2:1

Haha, same here. I met one asking me what should I write here ? I looked sideways to the voice of a lady pointing towards the space for Surname, first name, Next of kin and so on. It was really embarrassing but put her through it. It's really appalling seeing graduates coming out from our institution with such qualities, the lecturers that produced such are not better.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by idahme(m): 10:31am On Dec 12, 2020
Exodora:
You seriously need to hear an Akwa Ibom speak English .

Like Niger Delta Minister God'swill Akpabio or the Gov Udom Emmanuel you mean? your answer may be no to my question. If you want to speak or write English do it well to pass your line of thought to others.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by omobonike70223: 10:33am On Dec 12, 2020
:Who's fault See what this person just typed? Like seriously? Make una dey type for una Native Language abeg.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by LikeAking: 10:38am On Dec 12, 2020
Amarisco:

Funny you say that.

The situation is actually so terrible that international universities don’t even consider Nigeria an English speaking country, despite it being our national language grin.

Prospective students have to pay and take additional English exams to prove their literacy, even if they have a PhD - all because it’s obtained in Nigeria. Imagine the insult.

We Nigerian are just naturally negative by nature. The ratio that cant read n write is very small and irrelevant to the graduate population.

We see only the negatives.

Prospective students have to pay and take additional English exams to prove their literacy, even if they have a PhD - all because it’s obtained in Nigeria. Imagine the insult This is happening because we dont know our rights and also love exploitation. The whites have seen us a s magas. Another is reason is because Nigeria is over supplying them with graduate population.

Nigerian grads are very smart and literate, Only a very few grads are on the down side.

The Nigerian man focus too much on minor negativity and not the major positivity.

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Nobody: 10:40am On Dec 12, 2020
Mallam, you must have been referring to your own aboki people. They can't even write their names. Yet, they have degree certificates and are the first to get benefits from bubu's administration.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by perfectsusanoo(m): 10:44am On Dec 12, 2020
true but the fault lies with you guys (leaders and school bodies).
I've had course mates who never attended lectures, tests or even exams and they were the front runners cos they paid some shitty lecturers. These lecturers de mellow for some students front sef.
Thus, he has no Bleep to say. Na just talk talk dis Shits sabi implementation na problem.
Go sch for 4 months, compulsory vacation for 8 months. naija na scam las las

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by majorstarlee: 10:45am On Dec 12, 2020
This Minister is funny. Imagine o! When you guys like keeping people's childern in the house from time to time and this time for almost a year, what'd you expect? Plus the education system in Nigeria no longer makes for students to like reading. Things are so difficult with even the teachers that they say to the students "no money, no pass". How then do you expect a Nigerian student of today to read when he knows that his efforts (just like our votes during elections) will not count unless money or body is attached?��‍♂️
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by akphrat(m): 10:49am On Dec 12, 2020

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by NarnieAceTech: 10:49am On Dec 12, 2020
dominique:

Lmao grin Experienced same thing too during my youth service. I went to medicals to get some drugs and I saw the corps member who is a doctor, speaking to another corps member in engish and there was a man close to the young chap interpreting in hausa.
I was shocked, like WTF!
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by perfectsusanoo(m): 10:51am On Dec 12, 2020
Blackdisciple:

It's because they hate another man's child to be educated rather their own children

But they never knew that the children they failed to educate will become a torn on their flesh

very true.
a wise man once said:

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Sleekfingers: 10:58am On Dec 12, 2020
womenareapes:

PhD in speaking good English grin

is that not pigin english? Whats wrong with that?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

NDU Students Escaping From Amassoma Through Forest And River / Coronavirus: Schools In Awka, Anambra Closed (Photos) / Justina Anochie, Student Of Babcock Kidnapped