Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,337 members, 7,819,188 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 12:25 PM

Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education - Education (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education (29306 Views)

75% Nigerian Children Can’t Read, Solve Maths – UNICEF / My 3-Year-Old Son Can't Read Or Write Letters, Please Help / Dichotomy: HND Graduates Can’t Rise Above Grade Level 14 ― FG (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Arizonaguy(m): 7:15am On Dec 12, 2020
Kingscee:

https://thenationonlineng.net/many-nigerian-graduates-cant-read-or-write-says-minister/
He is talking about graduates from Northern Nigeria higher institutions
It's an open secret that their education system is more shittier

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Weneda(m): 7:15am On Dec 12, 2020
xProfx:
Anyone in possession of a university certificate with the inability to read or write, let the certificate of such an individual be withdrawn and let the school from where he/she graduated be queried cos that's a huge fraud.

A secondary school leaver shouldn't even be found lacking basic communication skills let alone a graduate...

These things happen because we don't have proper checks in place and we glorify certificates too much. The only reason I have a degree today was because I knew the system in this country wouldn't reward you adequately without a university certificate... I was already a genius after secondary school doing what most graduates couldn't do.

Even NYSC should start screening the so called graduates, especially those from Benin Republic/ Nigerien or Ghanaian private universities, even some from Asian countries... Most of those schools are certificate mills.
My brother there was this guy that serve with us during our Nysc days at Oyo state, ogbomosho north precisely. He said he graduated from Benin Republic but I doubt if that guy finished secondary school self. His writing, english communication, the way he behaves say it all. What he moves around with is rubber coke mix with codeine/ tramadol
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 7:15am On Dec 12, 2020
parkervero:
Graduates in the northern part are mostly in this category.
There are very many in the south even though you people find it hard to acknowledge. Southern universities are the home of "sorting". My friend did his MSC in Uniben and the experience was something else.

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by obyrich(m): 7:15am On Dec 12, 2020
ObaKlaz:
I wondered just HOW some of my coursemates gained admission into the school when I was an undergrad.
They can't even string simple, error-free sentences together!

They are all around us. Garbage in, garbage out!
Was it not one of them that posted "I am a CORPSE member" on Facebook some years ago? Then, they defend/console themselves with "English is not our mother tongue" and "Na who pass sabi book!"

Y'all quoting me to say it could be Auto-correct, I thought it might be, too. So, I checked out his previous posts. Dude dropped more bombs than North Korea!

And no, he ain't a Northerner.
This is very embarrassing. Some graduates cannot write simple sentences in an email correspondence. You wonder how they managed to graduate.

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by IamHonourable1: 7:15am On Dec 12, 2020
A lot of Northern graduates can neither read nor write,be specific.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by anochuko01(m): 7:15am On Dec 12, 2020
Fuckingmallam45:

He might have his shortcomings, but that doesn’t mean that he cannot states out what’s not proper in the Country. Even the ones that enrolled for the Npower, who told you that, they can read and write?

We can only fault the government for running a tattered and decayed educational system. The whole country is in shambles abeg.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ojuu4u(m): 7:16am On Dec 12, 2020
Fuckingmallam45:

Well said bro. You might be intelligent but your presentation is nothing to write home about.

What happens to his presentation sir? Is it because of one or two errors? I guess you read it from ur sleep!
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Fuckingmallam45(m): 7:16am On Dec 12, 2020
Mrbenny001:
Mostly northern graduate including himself
Say what you know, he is an high profile man academically.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Fuckingmallam45(m): 7:18am On Dec 12, 2020
ojuu4u:

What happens to his presentation sir? Is it because of one or two errors? I guess you read it from ur sleep!
I’m not referring to him sir, I only buttressed his point.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by obonujoker(m): 7:18am On Dec 12, 2020
Amotolongbo:

Truth

I think the problems lie more with the government, so they have the major part of the solution to offer, not the teachers and students.

The known fact is that, apart from the unity schools in Nigeria, government hardly takes care or show concern to the other public primary and secondary schools.
In the past, there are always inspectors from the LIE(Local Inspectors of Education) and School Boards who always make emergency and unnoticed visitation to primary and secondary schools to spy on the teachers and the Principals, check the lesson notes and the teaching skills, where are they now?
Are they still doing these?

Reading and writing in a tolerable manner are learnt during the course of Basic education (6-3). If a student can’t get it right during the basic education course, he may not likely get it right again.
How then is it justified moving these students to University through quota system in our tertiary education admission, neglecting the place of the mean cut off marks?

Government also has to make sure there is a solid body or council with the task of registering qualified teachers and annual upgrade of teachers that will be recruited into the private and public schools. Not any Tom, Dick and Harry can teach and impact knowledge.

With the 20k you pay teachers, you expect all these?
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 7:19am On Dec 12, 2020
Incognito403:

See this one.

During NYSC, the kind of mediocrity that Igbo students from South East display is beyond description.

Their men can only smoke like chimneys and their women can only copulate like donkeys. They sleep with everything for anything.

My brother I see them tire! Speaking pidgin all over the place, you'd think they are just being casual, the guys no sabi speak English. In their universities, the guys that pass are the ones that pay the lecturers well and the girls that graduate will have to "copulate like donkeys" with the lecturers. grin grin

1 Like

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Kulushkalash(m): 7:19am On Dec 12, 2020
ADAMUdaCOWBOY:

Lol I have always been told that northerners are not sound academically and the southerners are the opposite and I believed it till i went to the NYSC orientation camp. I saw the southern corpers speaking pidgin English up and down, I thought they were being casual, I laughed when I realised most of then couldn't communicate properly in English.

If you’re well acquainted with academic discourse as I presume you do given your perspective, you’d agree with me that the bias in case studies and using the study of a section of the population to arrive at data posed as facts can be incredibly wrong and can place you in a state of really flawed logic!

Think about this for a moment!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Orjioorji(f): 7:20am On Dec 12, 2020
And you are presiding the education ministry.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Nobody: 7:20am On Dec 12, 2020
Incognito403:

See this one.

During NYSC, the kind of mediocrity that Igbo students from South East display is beyond description.

Their men can only smoke like chimneys and their women can only copulate like donkeys. They sleep with everything for anything.

This is exactly what the minister is saying.. "mediocrity" may not be the right vocabulary for your sentence..

You can try illiteracy or irresponsible..
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Nobody: 7:20am On Dec 12, 2020
joyandfaith:

Oh!! Nice one. We should not blame governments both schools that produce such graduates

Yea, it's directly the school's fault. If someone can pass all exams without being able to read or write, they should be made to explain the magic.

The cheapest Nigerian schools will make you sweat before graduating, so I have reasons to believe these schools are not even Nigerian Universities...
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ADAMUdaCOWBOY: 7:21am On Dec 12, 2020
anataala:
That’s is why 90% fake results and exams malpractices traced to them.
You dey wind me ni? Since when did northerners start engaging in exam malpractice more than the southerners?
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by MadeMan01(m): 7:22am On Dec 12, 2020
So true. When they sort and sex their way to degrees.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Fuckingmallam45(m): 7:23am On Dec 12, 2020
nnamdi640:
China don't speak English and yet they are great.....
Speaking English or writing in English is not a ticket to success. Hope you know that your boss who choose you as minister is a case study. Bubu own is worst because he doesn't understand English,that is why he speaks off point whenever they interviewed him.
China is not an English speaking Country but we are.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by uuzba(m): 7:23am On Dec 12, 2020
ObaKlaz:
I wondered just HOW some of my coursemates gained admission into the school when I was an undergrad.
They can't even string simple, error-free sentences together!

They are all around us. Garbage in, garbage out!
Was it not one of them that posted "I am a CORPSE member" on Facebook some years ago? Then, they defend/console themselves with "English is not our mother tongue" and "Na who pass sabi book!"

Y'all quoting me to say it could be Auto-correct, I thought it might be, too. So, I checked out his previous posts. Dude dropped more bombs than North Korea!

And no, he ain't a Northerner.
Japanese students can't speak English.
Chinese graduates can't speak English or Japanese.
German graduates can't speak English...

This guy just didn't learn English. Simple. Go and find out where he is now. He's speaking whatever language he knows and doing his business. he just doesn't give a fxxxx about English doesn't mean he is stupid.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ojuu4u(m): 7:24am On Dec 12, 2020
Fuckingmallam45:

I’m not referring to him sir, I only buttressed his point.

Buttress? But you wrote, his presentation has nothing 'to write home about'. What an absurd!
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Nobody: 7:24am On Dec 12, 2020
Weneda:

My brother there was this guy that serve with us during our Nysc days at Oyo state, ogbomosho north precisely. He said he graduated from Benin Republic but I doubt if that guy finished secondary school self. His writing, english communication, the way he behaves say it all. What he moves around with is rubber coke mix with codeine/ tramadol

Those are the ones I was actually referring to. You get the point. They know they can't graduate here so they go to those countries where university certificates are for sale.

In a university like NOUN (National Open University of Nigeria), you'll find out it's harder to graduate there, even harder than a regular university because you can't bribe any lecturer so you are forced to study hard for examinations, otherwise, you may fail. Gaining admission is easy, but once you're at higher levels, you start to witness the hell called distance learning especially if you're not independent minded. If you're lucky enough to have a project supervisor who doesn't care about you, you may spend more than a year on your final year project...

We don't respect our institutions enough so people have decoded how to bypass the system by going to cheap universities abroad. We can't blame them.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Fuckingmallam45(m): 7:26am On Dec 12, 2020
ojuu4u:

Buttress? But you wrote, his presentation has nothing 'to write home about'. What an absurd!
I have modified that, thank you.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ObaKlaz: 7:27am On Dec 12, 2020
obyrich:
This is very embarrassing. Some graduates cannot write simple sentences in an email correspondence. You wonder how they managed to graduate.
Very embarrassing! Every system in Nigeria has 'shortcuts' and 'underground tunnels'. Almost everyone has a price tag.

We know how it is.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Wapchrist1(m): 7:27am On Dec 12, 2020
Pls who know about Jumia ? I made payment yesterday and today the site can't open.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by uuzba(m): 7:28am On Dec 12, 2020
MadeMan01:
So true. When they sort and sex their way to degrees.
I have a classmate of mechanical Engineering who used to blow bomb everytime in English. I was there laughing at him..
Today, guy has done PhD in United Kingdom. He has documents and is living there standard.
We still spoke on WhatsApp last year and he's still blowing bomb in his English. He's properlyb organising IMechE events in UK.
The guy is intelligent. He just doesn't give a fxxx a out English.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by strangest(m): 7:29am On Dec 12, 2020
PhDinView:
He should have been specific:

Many Hausa and Fulani Nigerian graduates FROM THE NORTH can't read and write.
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by AFONJACOW(m): 7:31am On Dec 12, 2020
And majority of those who can not read or write are from northern part of the country that only needs to score just 2point on jamb just to get admitted into Universities
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by KunmiHuston(m): 7:32am On Dec 12, 2020
PhDinView:
He should have been specific:

Many Hausa and Fulani Nigerian graduates FROM THE NORTH can't read and write.
you took the word right out of my mouth, really!
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by pretyval: 7:32am On Dec 12, 2020
Can the Honorable minister read? Even presido no sabi read
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by Vulcan24(m): 7:33am On Dec 12, 2020
The ministry itself is full of illetrates, if not they should know tertiary education is not a language school

Most graduates English speaking and writings improves after some few years of work experience.

Min of Edu should conduct a research and stop making uneducated guesses capable of damaging morals of teachers and educators
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by daleehat: 7:33am On Dec 12, 2020
Kingscee:

https://thenationonlineng.net/many-nigerian-graduates-cant-read-or-write-says-minister/
Naso Sir, especially those Okoroo's from the Yeast who attended wuruwuru schools of special centres I have seen many of them they can speak but can't write ooohh
Re: Many Nigerian Graduates Can’t Read Or Write - Minister Of Education by ojuu4u(m): 7:35am On Dec 12, 2020
uuzba:

Japanese students can't speak English.
Chinese graduates can't speak English or Japanese.
German graduates can't speak English...

This guy just didn't learn English. Simple. Go and find out where he is now. He's speaking whatever language he knows and doing his business. he just doesn't give a fxxxx about English doesn't mean he is stupid.

Oga, Japanese graduate is supposed to knw how to write and speak Japanese language, ditto Chinese's graduate, he/she should be able to write and speak Chinese's language and not English language, here in Nigeria, English language is our lingual franca, a graduate of any higher institutions is supposed to write and speak in English language.

Anything worth doing, is worth doing well sir.

So many half baked have caused so many damages for Nigeria, even unto the graduates that are grounded too.

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Job Boutros Eteng: Missing UNICAL Final Year Student (Photo) / Mention That Topic In Mathematics, That You Still Do Not Understand. / This Disable Man Crawls Half Kilometer Every Day To School In Niger State(photos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.