Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,839 members, 7,810,226 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:56 AM

Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? (27463 Views)

Bank Manager In Nigeria Or Gateman In USA / $120,000 To Leave Nigeria Or 450,000 Naira Salary? / DIY Guide To Australian Permanent Resident Visa - Part 2 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by Nobody: 3:50pm On Dec 14, 2020
lagdmark:

Stop typing nonsense. Not everyone has poor brain like you.
I spent more than 25 years in Germany and Netherlands, the portfolio investment i have in Nigeria will keep me going even when i retire plus my pension benefits from Germany.

Lol na only you get pension and investment for Nigeria. Rubbish.

I'm talking about the effects of devaluation on your investments, even dangote isn't spared let alone some lousy fellow like you.

Was the insult necessary.

1 Like

Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by Druss(m): 3:50pm On Dec 14, 2020
Do not come back to Nigeria

1 Like

Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by tunapawizzy: 3:52pm On Dec 14, 2020
Godsspeed:
A wise and true friend, but you have till 2022 before the expiration of your visa, plus an 18-month post graduation visa. So you fit buy land keep first, then focus on what your friend told you....
He needs all the cash he can get if he is to migrate from Germany to Canada, land is not so liquid, even if he has to sell back to come n use d money abroad, the value might have diminished, naira dey fall anyhow these days, and buhari n ds APC people not leaving anytime soon. his friend is very correct and I am sure he knows it himself. Except u r in the IT field, nothing is so certain in Germany. There are lots of jobs to be done and make cool cash outside ur field of specialization, but after that 18months if u don't get a job in your field, na Muritala straight o or find ur way go another place. Investing in landed property in Nigeria is not a bad choice in itself but the timing might not be right considering he might need cash soon. Only you know what is likely at the end of your programme, ur german proficiency and all of that. Only u know ur hopes of getting a German partner or a German child(not necessarily married), if thats something u r open to. But ur friend knows what he's talking about in any case.
Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by Druss(m): 3:53pm On Dec 14, 2020
MyGeneration:
To me invest now.

Naira is at an all time low because of covid and drop in oil price by next year when covid ends and naira starts rising ur money might not be as big as it is if u invest right now.

Naira start rising? Ehn? Which Naira?
Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by marylandcakes: 3:57pm On Dec 14, 2020
Unityroad:

Learn to read well before you type next time

I was thinking the same thing too. grin grin grin If this were to be an English comprehensive exam. It would have been a big fail.
Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by akinola98: 4:00pm On Dec 14, 2020
jajeri3216:

You didn't factor devaluation.

In 30 years we'll see whether the fgn bond was a good Idea with the Forex rates instability we have.

Those that took the treasury bills route from abroad know exactly what I'm on about.

Hmmmm

Remember it is not everyone that spend in forex . Some invest in naira and spend in local currency, better still some get this dividend and re- invest in other investment instruments in the country ( including forex) making then richer ..... I can tell u that some of the investment rates u get in naija is still way better than u get abroad..... it now depends on the investor to diversify

Now can u explain to me:- someone bought a plot in a developing estate around the lekki axis for 22M and in less than 2yrs, same land was sold for 45M ... abeg tell me where else someone can spin his money or investment like this ?? ... this is legit o ...... so guy, it boils down to what I said before : Type of investment and capital at hand to invest

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by Basalt(m): 4:01pm On Dec 14, 2020
Bishop:

Your friend gave you the best advice, i will add that you should not wait for the 18 months post education visa before you start looking for other options. Start your Canadian PR Now and every other one. A plus for you if you are not married.

In all ramifications, I prefer Germany to Canada.
My only problem here is that my German is not yet good.
I really love Germany honestly.

Though it's a very hard country

1 Like

Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by rs172(m): 4:05pm On Dec 14, 2020
Basalt:
Goodmorning Ladies and Gentlemen.
I am Basalt by name and I came to Germany last year(2019) October for my MSc studies with a little amount of Money and a partially borrowed block account from my inlaw (his money and my money).
On arrival in Germany, I took only a few courses and got a job outside my city and also got a mini-job. I did all my monthly expenses from my Mini job and used my main job to completely pay back my debt within a few months of arrival.

Now, that's not the discussion at hand.
I need advice especially from people who have lived abroad or have many years of experience in life.
My visa still counts till 2022 and I can even extend it if I don't finish my studies by then.
According to German policy, once you graduate from the University, you will be given 18 months to get a professional job or return back to your country.
Returning back to Nigeria is totally out of my plan at least for now because I came from a very poor family without any job connection and I am really enjoying Europe.
I plan to buy land or start building a house (I saved millions of naira and will even save more as time goes) but my friend who is also a student here discouraged me against that saying that my root is not yet fixed abroad that I should wait and continue investing in myself and undergoing professional training until I get permanent residency before investing. That I should always keep saving because it is not certain that I will get a professional job after graduation since my course is not in Information Technology which is currently booming in Germany. That even if I don't get a job, I can use the money to migrate to Canada or any other country of my choice.
He asked What if you invest the money now and don't get a job after graduation, what will you do after the 18 months of post graduation visa since you don't have any backup from home who will help you out financially.

What do you guys think. I need opinions

Hi Basalt, this is my advice to you and hope you take it, immediately you’re done with MSc, start the processing to migrate to Canada, get Wes evaluation for your MSc, get your evidence from place you’ve worked in Nigeria for 3years even if it is Nysc plus + others, we don’t know what Nigeria’s future hold, use the endsars as an example where people’s business was looted, live hood and sweat just gone like that, it could be anyone, secure another passport first, so there’ll something to fall back to, if it requires learning french to boost your points, please do..
Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by PHijo(m): 4:06pm On Dec 14, 2020
Basalt:
I am Basalt by name and I came to Germany last year(2019) October for my MSc studies with a little amount of Money and a partially borrowed block account from my inlaw (his money and my money).
On arrival in Germany, I took only a few courses and got a job outside my city and also got a mini-job. I did all my monthly expenses from my Mini job and used my main job to completely pay back my debt within a few months of arrival.

I need advice especially from people who have lived abroad or have many years of experience in life.
My visa still counts till 2022 and I can even extend it if I don't finish my studies by then.
According to German policy, once you graduate from the University, you will be given 18 months to get a professional job or return back to your country.
Returning back to Nigeria is totally out of my plan at least for now because I came from a very poor family without any job connection and I am really enjoying Europe.
I plan to buy land or start building a house (I saved millions of naira and will even save more as time goes) but my friend who is also a student here discouraged me against that saying that my root is not yet fixed abroad that I should wait and continue investing in myself and undergoing professional training until I get permanent residency before investing. That I should always keep saving because it is not certain that I will get a professional job after graduation since my course is not in Information Technology which is currently booming in Germany. That even if I don't get a job, I can use the money to migrate to Canada or any other country of my choice.
He asked What if you invest the money now and don't get a job after graduation, what will you do after the 18 months of post graduation visa since you don't have any backup from home who will help you out financially.

Your friend is correct! You may need funds if you will have to leave Germany for another country. Most countries ask for proof of funds. Even if they don't ask , you would need money to survive.

What skills would be needed in Germany or elsewhere that is related to your field of study? These are the questions you should ask yourself.

Also have it in mind that the Naira has lost over 60 percent of her value since 2015 and there are no signs the situation would improve anytime soon. If you have to generate passive income streams in Nigeria you would have to avoid things that are capital intensive. Real estate is capital intensive and the return on investment is low and slow.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by Nobody: 4:06pm On Dec 14, 2020
akinola98:

Hmmmm

Remember it is not everyone that spend in forex . Some invest in naira and spend in local currency, better still some get this dividend and re- invest in other investment instruments in the country ( including forex) making then richer ..... I can tell u that some of the investment rates u get in naija is still way better than u get abroad..... it now depends on the investor to diversify

Now can u explain to me:- someone bought a plot in a developing estate around the lekki axis for 22M and in less than 2yrs, same land was sold for 45M ... abeg tell me where else someone can spin his money or investment like this ?? ... this is legit o ...... so guy, it boils down to what I said before : Type of investment and capital at hand to invest

You're missing the point, we are discussing about a fellow sending his hard earned Forex into a country with unstable Forex policies, not a Nigerian living, investing and spending in Nigeria, big difference.

He's bound to lose.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by Juliusmomoh: 4:08pm On Dec 14, 2020
Basalt:

https://www.nairaland.com/5621308/part-8
Follow this thread, read in between the lines. That thread really helped me a lot during my application stage
Good day sir.. Can someone study in germany with NECO olevel result ? .. Thank u sir
Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by LORDKing001: 4:08pm On Dec 14, 2020
lagdmark:

Stop typing nonsense. Not everyone has poor brain like you.
I spent more than 25 years in Germany and Netherlands, the portfolio investment i have in Nigeria will keep me going even when i retire plus my pension benefits from Germany.
Invest in me pls. I want to leave this country and hustle
Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by Basalt(m): 4:13pm On Dec 14, 2020
Microwhy:

So you call buying a land and building a house investment? If you can't find a solid business you can run from Europe with a good returns, then forget it.
Bro. Investment doesn't necessary have to be long term. You can buy something sharply, ship it to Nigeria, cash your money and be on the lookout for another opportunity.
Get good and reliable contacts here in Nigeria, go for machineries like lathe machine, milling machine and other industrial machines which are swapped out from their factories and must be very cheap, get good shipping company and you're good to go.
Don't mind your friend, he is just being a typical Nigerian. Not surprise if he's a Yoruba man with "Aro tan" .
Invest your saved millions in what can aid your travelling back and forth from Europe to Nigeria.

The problem is that with German student visa, you are not allowed to do business.
Many people are telling me to help them import cars with their money ready but I can't, I am restricted by my visa.
I just need to get a permanent residency then things will be easier

2 Likes

Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by Basalt(m): 4:13pm On Dec 14, 2020
Thank you all for your contributions, I really appreciate.
They are priceless
Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by golddust6000(m): 4:14pm On Dec 14, 2020
themaestro08:

Please disregard this comment.
you should have tell them what to regard na, you know why not say it ?
Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by AyoitsMub(m): 4:14pm On Dec 14, 2020
That friend is a keeper... Please take note!
Basalt:

Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by 400billionman: 4:14pm On Dec 14, 2020
Basalt:
Waoooo, thank you guys for your contributions.
Happy Sunday to you all.

You have a very wise friend.

Nobody adviced us like this.
Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by egobetao: 4:16pm On Dec 14, 2020
@Basalt...this is my advise to you and even steps i recommend for you to take

***Pre requirement{- Stay extremely focused on your mindset, goals and your study and get your permanent residence immediately)***
1. find a good place of worship where you can worship on Sundays and also serve for 1hr every week
2. Take a long walk for 30- 45 mins when you are free and think of your best life situation.Ask yourself questions like what,why on country you would like to live,what specific kind of job you would like, what kind of life, what are your dreams etc...( you get my drift: what , where, how, why,how when etc)
3. once you get home write down all that you thought about and all the answers. then create 3 groups- today ( 1-6 months)- short term, 6-24 months (short term), 3 to 8 years (long term)
4. Print this and keep it on your wall and on your phone with daily reminders ( This is your vision board)
5. Research trades like painting, plumbing, electrician, construction etc. Choose one and invest in yourself by acquiring this skills either night school etc) Join Quora, Reddit nairaland, etc and spend 1 hr daily learning
6. Continue studying hard and commence networking and making friends with diverse people..preferable with immigrants or children in your community. Be friendly and have an open mind...ask questions from your new diverse friends..Continue your work hustle and stay focused.
7. Start creating a budget based on your earnings and keep trying to increase your earnings. 5%= Food .20% = Living expense 50% = savings10% = Offering
8. Save up and buy the land . Think of how you can create additional income streams
9. Plan ahead and revisit your vision board after 1 month and make adjustments
10. Keep increasing your earning by adding more side hustles with income generating assets e.g. buy a van for delivery or Watch you tube and learn how to paint. Advertise online as a painter.
11. Visit the library once a week and read books on financial literacy. 2 books a month (Rich dad, poor dad; millionaire next door,millionaire roadmap, millionaire landlord)
12. By 8 months of doing this you would have a clearer vision and would be able to make better decisions and navigate better
13. Start applying for volunteer and internships 3 months before your course is finished
14. Start your own side trade business while applying for jobs in your field
15. 1 year before your visa expires..start making plans for your next step..Apply to express entry canada or uk or usa or south africa
16. invest in real estate in any where you find your self
17. Open your eyes along the journey and look for a female partner who is God fearing and has similar mindset wo you can marry. She would help you build.
18. Build that property in 9ja over 3 year time frame( 3 or 4 flats)
19. Be kind and keep being positive despite challenges that would come your way along the journey..learn from it and move on.Help people as you grow

12 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by stagger: 4:19pm On Dec 14, 2020
DortmundGirl:
Save your money!!

According to Aufenthaltsgesetz (immigration law of Germany) to buy land or property in Germany doesnt guaranty a residence permit!

They can still ask you to leave the country despite having land or a house if you dont find job after studies unless you open a big company and invest a lot of money in Germany .

Good luck

Some of you need to go back to primary school for basic English comprehension.
Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by tunapawizzy: 4:19pm On Dec 14, 2020
bamdexfarms:
My advise to you is very different from others. Being also a student in Germany since 2018, I have come to realize that no matter your resident status anywhere in the world, home is where the heart is. As a student, it is not mandatory to invest in Nigeria while studying but is is a very wise decision to take. Waiting until you get PR in Germany or Canada is like putting all your eggs in one basket. You can buy a plot of land in Nigeria and watch the value appreciate before you graduate!

Studying/working in Europe is not easy as many people assume. The system has been designed to take back a large chunk of your earnings (tax, health insurance/ bills etc) and you may be left with nothing to save. Also getting a PR does not guaranty that your income/savings will improve. Remember, after graduation, you will not be living in the subsidized student hostels anymore. There are lots of PR holders and citizens here that can barely get by with what they earn. Some can not go back home for a visit because they have nothing to show after staying for years in the West. If you invest early in Nigeria, your life will have a purpose here in the west. I know students who have real estate investments in Nigeria and they earn returns without breaking a sweat.

A wise investment in Nigeria may be your saving grace in case of emergency! Government policies in the West changes without notice and you need a solid backup at home! No investment is too early, only late investments are regrettable.
Those PR holders are probably not educated or have no skills or are lazy. Even asylum seekers dey make as much as 4k family income(husband n wife) after deduction. They still get little child support , free education for kids. Any investment in Nigeria at this time will have eroded in value by the time u want to sell. Like someone rightly pointed out earlier, buy a house of 100k euros in Lekki now(say about 50m at 500naira to 1euro), in 2 years time the house is worth say 60m at 650naira to 1euro, ur investment dun come down to 92keuros. No be wise investment, better investment opportunities full europe

1 Like

Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by Basalt(m): 4:20pm On Dec 14, 2020
golddust6000:
yeah, he should safe his money. German immigration law is the worst in EU. Your permanent residence in Germany can’t work or live in another EU country, but EU member state permanent residence can work in Germany.
Try and find way to have another European document, german document is not strong for immigrants.
You can easily be deported for slightest mistake.

You guys really need to be sure of information before posting. The bolded is totally false

1 Like

Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by EgunMogaji2: 4:20pm On Dec 14, 2020
ednut1:
your friend is right. With a permanent stay, you will still have money to invest in Nigeria later.

Keep in mind that things gets more expensive as time goes on.

I regret not making investments in Nigeria back when I should have.

2 Likes

Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by Juliusmomoh: 4:23pm On Dec 14, 2020
xandy84:
I was once in your shoe. No permanent residence and was caught in-between investing in myself or start building a house in Nigeria. I chose the former and I was glad I did. I triple my earning in less than 2 years and was able to start building the same house with less stress. The point is, even when you start building the so called house, the return on investing will be low cos it makes time to recoup your investing in real estate. Invest in yourself, increase your earn and you can go on and build yourself a house and do other good stuff.
Good day sir...
Can i study outside nigeria using NECO result ? ... Thank u
Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by tunapawizzy: 4:25pm On Dec 14, 2020
golddust6000:
yeah, he should safe his money. German immigration law is the worst in EU. Your permanent residence in Germany can’t work or live in another EU country, but EU member state permanent residence can work in Germany.
Try and find way to have another European document, german document is not strong for immigrants.
You can easily be deported for slightest mistake.
Make a clear distinction between what u are sure of and the one u r not sure of...what u said above is not correct
Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by Juliusmomoh: 4:27pm On Dec 14, 2020
law001:

Bro I was in the same situation a few months ago but in the UK. I bought a land and hoped to resell to process my Canada visa when the time comes. My brother buy a land. Don’t build yet.

You may spend the money if you keep it in your account. Problem no dey finish remember.
Good day sir...
Can i use NECO result to study abroad ? ... Thank u
Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by tunapawizzy: 4:29pm On Dec 14, 2020
EgunMogaji2:

Keep in mind that things gets more expensive as time goes on.

I regret not making investments in Nigeria back when I should have.
Naira fall plus ur increased earning(if you investment properly in self development) will SHAME that thing that got more expensive...additional 1k in your income(after proper self development) is 500knaira every month
Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by akinola98: 4:31pm On Dec 14, 2020
jajeri3216:

You're missing the point, we are discussing about a fellow sending his hard earned Forex into a country with unstable Forex policies, not a Nigerian living, investing and spending in Nigeria, big difference.

He's bound to lose

I understand you perfectly

If he plans to stay abroad for the rest of his life then Good luck . However, people living abroad still invested heavily at home for various reasons .

Remember I made an example earlier on of a guy that lives abroad but collects 17m in Naija as passive income yearly on FGN bond . This guy will collect this money for 30 years amounting to over 510m in total against an initial investment of 100m . The 100m was sourced from USA . Are u telling me if this guy decided to convert all the yearly coupon to dollars, he won’t make more than the initial invested dollars equivalent
Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by CrownWale93(m): 4:33pm On Dec 14, 2020
My own advice is to you is to invest in your family and other people u think u can trust. For you to remain rich is by investing in your circle.

You can sponsor your trusted brother,sister, relative or friend on any IT related skills courses.

That sector is a blessing to humanity, the I'm hustling to get a very good laptop to study the course from a well connected and satisfied IT guru. Thanks.
Basalt:

1 Like

Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by princetigris(m): 4:33pm On Dec 14, 2020
I think I gave you this advice
Basalt:

Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by CrownWale93(m): 4:35pm On Dec 14, 2020
My own advice to you is to invest in your family and other people u think u can trust. For you to remain rich is by investing in your circle.

You can sponsor your trusted brother,sister, relative or friend on any IT related skills courses.

That sector is a blessing to humanity, the reason I'm hustling to get a very good laptop with good processor to study the course from a well connected and satisfied IT guru. Thanks.
Basalt:

Re: Should I Invest In Nigeria Or Wait Until I Get A Permanent Stay In Abroad? by fineboynl(m): 4:36pm On Dec 14, 2020
Basalt:
Waoooo, thank you guys for your contributions.
Happy Sunday to you all.
open an account in foreigne currency. there is safe lock like wema bank alat. you can save without touching it for a duration of time. be disciplined in your expenditure.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Diasporans How Much Do You Spend In Nigeria During Visits? / A Trip To Ogbunike Cave, Anambra State / What Is The Cost Of Living In Abuja?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 131
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.