Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,276 members, 7,811,812 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 08:14 PM

My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? - Family (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? (21215 Views)

My Married Sister Wants to be a liability to us / My Sister Wants To Quit Her Young Marriage. / My Sister Wants Court Marriage, Her Husband Doesn't. Advise Her Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by Dripy(m): 8:57am On Dec 14, 2020
Sebastine1994:
I brought this issue to nairaland to straighten out some things, as the first son of the family, I am under immense pressure to defend the tradition of igbo.

my sister wants her Traditional Wedding to happen in the City, I have never seen a city traditional marriage, it sound abnormal to the ear, it seems I am the only stumbling block to this marriage. white wedding can happen in the city but not traditional abi?

truth is that most of our families reside in the city, they grew up in the city, and the cost of logistics is their excuse. please is it right that I should allow this to happen?

It is possible.

I recently did MC for an Igbo couple in Ajah who did both their traditional and white wedding in Lagos.

You can contact me to anchor the event if na Lagos una dey.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by IkpuMmadu: 8:57am On Dec 14, 2020
descarado:
City traditional marriage.
She should envisage the future. It's not always rosy.
If u don't take your man home, it's assumed you have a dysfunctional family. Your inlaw is taking note.
That is the backbone of any woman. It sends warning to the inlaw that this girl is not to be messed with as her people are strongly behind her. Also during conflict that involves the customary law, u don't actually have a stand as u never observed the customary procedure of marriage. What u did in the city is ordinary party, not traditional marriage.

The man go use am yab am in future

1 Like

Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by IkpuMmadu: 8:58am On Dec 14, 2020
Dripy:

It is possible.

I recently did MC for an Igbo couple in Ajah who did both their traditional and white wedding in Lagos.

You can contact me to anchor the event if na Lagos una dey.

They must have gone to village to do the main rites ... Ask them ... Theey are doing Lagos own for formality sake

We call them ndi ala wuo otu ...

1 Like

Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by mechanics(m): 9:02am On Dec 14, 2020
It depends on the agreement between both families.
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by Dripy(m): 9:03am On Dec 14, 2020
IkpuMmadu:

They must have gone to village to do the main rites ... Ask them ... Theey are doing Lagos own for formality sake

We call them ndi ala wuo otu ...

They did not go to the village. They sent money to the village and the list was sent to them, they sent back the money equivalent of the list and the village gave their blessing.

Impossibility is nothing.

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by Anaerobi(m): 9:04am On Dec 14, 2020
Realhommie:
Lol, off course.. What i meant there is the wedding is not so important for those village relative to attend.

But sincerely speaking i pray for a lady that won't stress me about a wedding, it's unnecessary. wink wink
my brother am thinking of indoor traditional marriage sef... jus d two families and close friends... but that future big head won't agree.
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by IkpuMmadu: 9:05am On Dec 14, 2020
Dripy:

They did not go to the village. They sent money to the village and the list was sent to them, they sent back the money equivalent of the list and the village gave their blessing.

Impossibility is nothing.
that's the same thing .. they must engage the village folks and trust me they would still go to village and introduce the lady

1 Like

Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by Heavance(m): 9:05am On Dec 14, 2020
I really don't understand why someone has to go to their home town before they have their traditional wedding, I really don't get it.
If your parents live in the city, are you saying they all have to go to their home town for a wedding?
You people have made culture more difficult than it is. You want her to go down to her home town, then buy foreign drinks there, simple things are made difficult by you guys, I just don't get it.
To me, wherever the parents reside, is where a child's wedding should be done (simple).
Not because they are from Kutuwenji then the parents have to leave the city to celebrate a wedding at kutuwenji.

3 Likes

Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by LordKO(m): 9:05am On Dec 14, 2020
pocohantas:
Majority of the people saying it is fine are not Igbos. The only people I know that will live, marry and be buried in Lagos without knowing their hometowns are Yorubas, no offense, but Igbos do not do that.

As woke as I am, one thing I will never do is my trad in the city or even marry without knowing the village of my partner.

All these woke Igbo people running away from the village saying “village people”, yes they could be a handful and I hate that- but a day will come when you’ll need those village people. I have an aunty that did Lagos marriage when I was a teenager, today she regrets it.

Even if you wake me from deep sleep, I will show you the way to my parents house IN THE VILLAGE. I can also show you their own parents houses as jara, that is my ROOT.

Come, keep quiet there! I wonder who told you that you're "woke" when I haven't said so. Don't make me vex this morning.

1 Like

Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by pocohantas(f): 9:06am On Dec 14, 2020
Sterope:
I am curious. Why is the village very important?

I can’t explain it well, but Igbos are deeply tied to their roots and togetherness. You don’t really know a person except you know his/her ancestral home and that can never change. SanwoOlu can decide to demolish our house in Lagos, but that can’t happen in the village.

Various rites in Igbo land are also stressful, so no matter how long it takes, something must bring you back to them. It is better you start identifying with them early.

3 Likes

Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by Dripy(m): 9:11am On Dec 14, 2020
IkpuMmadu:
that's the same thing .. they must engage the village folks and trust me they would still go to village and introduce the lady

Introducing the lady to village people is different from holding the traditional wedding in the city.
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by Dripy(m): 9:13am On Dec 14, 2020
pocohantas:

I can’t explain it well, but Igbos are deeply tied to their roots and togetherness. You don’t really know a person except you know his/her ancestral home and that can never change. SanwoOlu can decide to demolish our house in Lagos, but that can’t happen in the village.

Various rites in Igbo land are also stressful, so no matter how long it takes, something must bring you back to them. It is better you start identifying with them early.

Even if you decide to do your traditional wedding in the city, village people will still be sent for iju ese and other rituals and even the items on the list can still be sent to ndi obodo but you can actually have your ceremony in the city.
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by Realhommie(m): 9:16am On Dec 14, 2020
1x2x3:

LOL I'm from Delta also and you lie big time. Your people are highly traditional people and I have never seen Isoko, ijaw, urhobo or ishekiri daughter being married out within Nigeria away from her ancestral home. I don't know how old you are but you have to ask questions.
You guys are fast losing your culture and it's unfortunate you are glad seeing it go. You think it's about evolving or development but when you travel to developed countries with cultural values you will notice how they judiciously protect their culture and traditions.

Let's assume a girl from your place grew up in Anambra state and she fell in love with a guy from Anambra right in the same place she grew up and lived most of her life so you feel it is appropriate holding her traditional marriage in Anambra because that's where she call home?

Let Africans keep losing their traditional values while coping western countries. One day we will read about our lost cultures in a book hidden at a museum in London.

I said it doesn't have to be in the village and that's what it is. You don't have to call me a liar over that, you don't know my family neither do you know my village so you do not know how things are done here. It is relative actually, to each his own but no law states anywhere where I'm from that it must be held in the village.

And to the instance you gave, yes the trad will be held there. Where the lady calls home in my earlier mention is where her parents are based, that's what i meant. There are instances of trads holding in Abuja, Lagos, Kaduna, Benin amongst other places. Those places aren't the traditional home of the bride, they didn't go to the village and heaven didn't fall.

And I'm not advocating that culture and tradition should be relegated and forgotten, nope. Just don't stress people unnecessarily. The traditional marriage itself is the culture and not the village thing, that is discretionary, depending on other factors.

3 Likes

Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by etimocity(m): 9:23am On Dec 14, 2020
let her take it to heaven na. I wonder how our generation is turning into. you pravatise marriage as if its the greatest archiement on earth. that state she want to carry the traditional marriage to, tell her is another person village oo. make she remains for village and perform the traditional rite.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by Realhommie(m): 9:25am On Dec 14, 2020
Anaerobi:

my brother am thinking of indoor traditional marriage sef... jus d two families and close friends... but that future big head won't agree.
Hahahahaha, it is well ooooo...

I had a discussion with my neighbor on this issue, a very interesting argument we had. In the end he had nothing on me and he was like, just do it, it adds color to everything, lol. And how does color add value? May God give us understanding bro.

Nice arguing with you, you're a reasonable person with a good head. Have a blessed day.
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by Buliwyf: 9:26am On Dec 14, 2020
Anaerobi:

oga be calming down pls. why is it called traditional marriage?
can u enjoy ur tradition fully elsewhere?

Even in the village are you enjoying your tradition fully? Why are you using light and cars and electronics? You might as well live in huts like your forefathers since you want to preserve tradition. Lol

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by descarado: 9:26am On Dec 14, 2020
IkpuMmadu:

The man go use am yab am in future
Na only yab.
When push come to shove, who will stand by her side?

We try to copy oyibo forgeting that what we see in movies are different from what's on ground there. Asia, some European countries hold on to their traditions cos that's what defines them.
Wish them luck anyway.

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by frozen70(f): 9:28am On Dec 14, 2020
NwaforIgbo:

The bolded was exactly my thought.. I fear she has complex issues

My dear, whatever they are manipulating, trust Umunna, they will be deflated if not now, later

1 Like

Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by spiralwedge(m): 9:30am On Dec 14, 2020
Sebastine1994:
I brought this issue to nairaland to straighten out some things, as the first son of the family, I am under immense pressure to defend the tradition of igbo.

my sister wants her Traditional Wedding to happen in the City, I have never seen a city traditional marriage, it sound abnormal to the ear, it seems I am the only stumbling block to this marriage. white wedding can happen in the city but not traditional abi?

truth is that most of our families reside in the city, they grew up in the city, and the cost of logistics is their excuse. please is it right that I should allow this to happen?

You disgust me, wtf?!

Primitive man. NL really helps me to understand ppl from the East better.

FFS! Smh... No wonder tribe is everything to you guys over common sense. Still can't believe you wrote that.
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by thatigboman: 9:31am On Dec 14, 2020
Girls are a big problem to igbo tradition. The way they reason na waah.
Op, stumble block that trad o, it should take place in your family house in the village

2 Likes

Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by Sterope(f): 9:31am On Dec 14, 2020
I understand. I think its survival is based on other Igbos enforcing the same. A growing nonchalant attitude towards the rites might change that narrative though.

Yorubas don't have that at all. Even where both roots are in the same city, there is really nothing except maintaining family togetherness.

pocohantas:

Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by Reference(m): 9:36am On Dec 14, 2020
Not my business. Not interested in any tradition or culture. I have none. In my opinion it adds no value to me, it adds no value to my neighbour and is a source of the worst we have to offer as a nation.
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by descarado: 9:37am On Dec 14, 2020
pocohantas:

Bless you for this.
The only thing still keeping igbo people together is traditions like this.
Do you know that that two children of one of our late chief who had so many wives and concubine almost comitted sacrilege. They met in USA, started going out and proposed. The mum of one of them insisted they come home for marriage. I think it's the babe that know she is igbo but don't know which part. Seems like her mum( one of the concubine) severed all ties with the chief and left naija. Na so everybody come naija. Land for the same town and the same village heading to the same family house cheesy
Your guess is as good as mine grin

They wouldn't have known had they done everything in Yankee

1 Like

Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by Forumobserver12(m): 9:42am On Dec 14, 2020
Mynd44:
It is her wedding and her choice. I know you might feel a bit skirmish about it but it is still her choice.

And how is this an "Igbo tradition" to marry at home? I think the tradition is the marriage itself, the travelling home for it is the culture (I stand corrected). Anywhere you live and you are welcome is where your home lies.

If your worry is about who attends, invite those people over.

But still talk to her and try to find a middle point, make compromise which might include, an introduction in the village before the wedding while it might not be the actual event but she and her husband visits to meet everyone. This can also be agreed on after the wedding.

I have Igbo friends whose traditional marriage was done in Lagos because they felt the logistics was off. Some felt their friends, bosses, mentors, colleagues who they feel are more impactful in their lives than some of the family members they have not seen or even met might not be able to share in their special day especially if the "elders" who will attend even in the village are few and can be convince to travel to the city if they insist.

Anyways, let us know how this goes and remember, it is her wedding and while you want what is best overall, she is an adult and able to make her decisions. Make compromise and listen too her arguments well.

You have spoken well, however, I want to correct one impression in your comment, Traditional marriage is Giving the Bride's family their Right therefore in the absence of the Bride's father, the first Son will assume the position of a father, he has the sole right to decide where the traditional marriage will take place, the girl can only appeal to her Brother for consideration....
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by thatigboman: 9:42am On Dec 14, 2020
bencarson007:
Let's stop all this bickering... Let them choose a venue and you guys support... Case closed. If she was abroad nko.... Abeg let her have her way joor
she will come back. My sister and her husband living in UK came back to the village for their traditional marriage

1 Like

Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by Depressed101: 9:44am On Dec 14, 2020
IkpuMmadu:

I live in Lagos... It is even cheaper in village , the cost is cheaper

A DJ might cost 20k here in Lagos in village 4k is enough

Rental might cost 100 per chair
In village it's 40 naira

It's cheaper in village and the respect is higher
dj 4k? Is this a joke?
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by Depressed101: 9:44am On Dec 14, 2020
IkpuMmadu:

I live in Lagos... It is even cheaper in village , the cost is cheaper

A DJ might cost 20k here in Lagos in village 4k is enough

Rental might cost 100 per chair
In village it's 40 naira

It's cheaper in village and the respect is higher
dj 4k? Is this a joke? And where in Lagos is dj even 20k
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by Anaerobi(m): 9:49am On Dec 14, 2020
Realhommie:
Hahahahaha, it is well ooooo...

I had a discussion with my neighbor on this issue, a very interesting argument we had. In the end he had nothing on me and he was like, just do it, it adds color to everything, lol. And how does color add value? May God give us understanding bro.

Nice arguing with you, you're a reasonable person with a good head. Have a blessed day.
thanks Brotherly. we are all here to understand each other, learn and catch fun.
wahala for who the take everything too serious.
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by Forumobserver12(m): 9:55am On Dec 14, 2020
amaham:
She can do a low-key , no canopy , list payment ceremony in the village. Let the compound people share in her merriment. After that, she can hire landmark event center in the city to celebrate her trad and white wedding
Trad wedding is not compulsory but clearing the lists with small enjoyment will make villagers happy

There's nothing like Traditional Wedding, is called Traditional Marriage, people should stop conflicting Africa culture with western Culture...
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by Nobody: 10:05am On Dec 14, 2020
Zzor:
It is normal,stop stressing your sister
U Dey Talk Abt Stressing D Sister. What Abt D Man Wey Wan Carry D Expenses?
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by Nobody: 10:08am On Dec 14, 2020
Truvel:
U Dey Talk Abt Stressing D Sister. What Abt D Man Wey Wan Carry D Expenses?
He should remain single then
Re: My Sister Wants Traditional Marriage In The City: Is It Normal? by Sotland: 10:08am On Dec 14, 2020
bencarson007:
Let's stop all this bickering... Let them choose a venue and you guys support... Case closed. If she was abroad nko.... Abeg let her have her way joor

Even if she is out of the country.. The family of the man will go to the girl's village to do the traditional rite... Truth be told, I have never seen where traditional marriage is done out of the cultural place of the girl.. Introduction can be done anywhere but not traditional marriage.. Get the difference.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Lady Praises All Nigerian Men For Staying Strong Despite Challenges / Lady Celebrates Her Parent's 34th Wedding Anniversary With These PDA Photos / "Divorce Should Be Celebrated, Its Rise Is A Good Thing" - Nkechi Bianze

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.