Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,098 members, 7,818,286 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:59 AM

How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? - Business (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? (30481 Views)

Patricia Converts Customers’ Assets To Tokens, Repayment Tied To Profitability / Seyi Tinubu: ‘You Have Achieved Once You Are Able To Start A Business' / How Were You Able To Raise Up The Desired Capital To Set Up Your Business? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by Gloriouspa(m): 2:44pm On Dec 22, 2020
Charpell:
Mine is not actually business but freelanceing.

I quit my job as a solar engineer and started programming
I learnt programming January 2017, I didn't spend money on a school, just data and youtube. I also had great mentors because it wasn't easy. 6 months later I got into Andela as an intern and that was it.
An intern then was earning about a 100k, the good thing about Andela is that you can freelance while you do your 9-5 job, I was freelancing with Codementor and Upwork.
2 years coding professionally, I was able to earn from my 9-5 job and freelancing amounting to about 500k monthly.
I left my company around April to focus on freelancing, then covid struck, it affected everyone. I was jobless till October before I got a Job with a US firm that pays $31/hour, 40 hours a week.

The good thing about been a programmer is you can work anytime of the day, the market is not limited to nigeria as you can find job in anywhere in the world while working from home and finally you paid in dollars.

I don't know if this information is about business but I think everyone cannot do business. Besides Business is not limited to buying and selling, a skill you have can also do that, the most important thing is your bringing food to the table

Thanks for sharing your skill.

Brother, can you mentor me on programming with a fee?

You can contact me through my signature since I don't have your contact so we can work it out, thanks.
Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by NaijaCover(m): 2:49pm On Dec 22, 2020
HalpyBee:

Check my moniker

You have started again
Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by Charpell(m): 2:51pm On Dec 22, 2020
Hannania:
Quick questions.

1. Whats your stack? And if you were to change, what stack would it be.

2. You mean you earn $31/hr remotely here in Nigeria!! Wow

3. I'm considering enrolling to Stutern Graduate accelerator. Do you think its worth it.

Please reply My DM.

There is no need to DM, I want other people to learn as well.

1 My stack is Javascript/React Native. Don't change stack. Learn one stack and learn it well and you will be a master in it. I have been writing Javascript for the past 3 years and i will not change even if the job is a high paying.
However i had background experience with Frontend, backend, QA, python but finally stayed with Javascript

2 Yes $31

3 Anything that you can do to quicken your knowledge please do, if its going to cost you and you have the money do it. If you don't have the money, Youtube is available. There are tons of free tutorial that can fetch you more than what I earn. I didn't pay anoune to lern programming

Good luck

10 Likes

Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by Kalaba(m): 2:52pm On Dec 22, 2020
Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by ItsTutsi(m): 2:54pm On Dec 22, 2020
what kind of business is it?
FuckAllTheMODs:
Using my other account to answer this question would have been better because I have a topic similar to this on it.
Reason being I once posted a topoc that hit the fp on how I can start a business with 200k last year or early this year, can't really remember sha.

Funny thing is that 200k x 2 is not even upto the money I spent in renting(the landlord insisted on a 4 years rent) and putting the shop in place for use.

I had a big challenge after setting up the shop for use, I already touched my business capital. Mehn, it gave me sleepless nights.

Little did I know God had a bigger and better plan for me.

In comparison to my earlier budget of 200k, what I have spent is in the million range.

It was made possible by God and my loved ones(family members and relatives).

Fast forward to this year, I started my business in October this year and it has been going well, although there are challenges e.g finance(money no dey do man) grin cheesy

Before I forget, about the profitability part, I can't say anything on that because any money I have I always use it to stock up for now, but it sure have profit.

Maybe with time I will start seeing the profit.
Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by Charpell(m): 2:54pm On Dec 22, 2020
Gloriouspa:

Thanks for sharing your skill.

Brother, can you mentor me on programming with a fee?

You can contact me through my signature since I don't have your contact so we can work it out, thanks.

I use to mentor people for free via Whatsapp and Telegram but all my effort was wasted because they didn't appreciate it. I though them basic HTML, CSS and Javascript.
Mentoring is not easy, I would advice you make Youtube your best friend.

10 Likes

Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by Erojepromise(f): 2:55pm On Dec 22, 2020
Dpharisee:
I am combining my business with 8-5 job and it has not been easy, my staff have made every effort to frustrate me, that's the greatest problem of business in Nigeria (getting trustworthy personell).
I have had to change staff at different times still they are not sincere, they just want to cheat the system even though I don't delay salary by even a day and I can't quit my job now to stay in the shop permanently.
I even engaged my brother to run the business it became worse as he won't give proper record, telling me how he sold on credit to customers and he started living large.

If you are not the one running the business directly day to day or don't have a strict line of control as a medium range organisation it's not very advisable to venture into it.

Are you in Lagos if yes? l can assure you that if you employ me to manage your business, you will sleep soundly at night because I am principled person that believe your actions whether good or bad in life have repercussions on top of that l am efficient, scrupulous, trustworthy and capable. l know humans are prone to err and l am not saying l am perfect but l know myself and will never engage in dirty acts just for the benefit of it financially and not meritoriously... of course all these are for if you are in need of a worker...

2 Likes

Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by jaelz(m): 3:05pm On Dec 22, 2020
It may surprise you but my starting capital was 25,000 which I used to make 4 pairs of shoes. Though what helped me was that my brother left the trade after he was done with his university degree so I just picked up some of his tools...
Saao:
how much was your starting capital?

1 Like

Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by jaelz(m): 3:06pm On Dec 22, 2020
Okay thanks, 08186325139

cicikhemy:

Please, kindly give me your contact. I will like to have some convos with you.
Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by Erojepromise(f): 3:10pm On Dec 22, 2020
Charpell:
Mine is not actually business but freelanceing.

I quit my job as a solar engineer and started programming
I learnt programming January 2017, I didn't spend money on a school, just data and youtube. I also had great mentors because it wasn't easy. 6 months later I got into Andela as an intern and that was it.
An intern then was earning about a 100k, the good thing about Andela is that you can freelance while you do your 9-5 job, I was freelancing with Codementor and Upwork.
2 years coding professionally, I was able to earn from my 9-5 job and freelancing amounting to about 500k monthly.
I left my company around April to focus on freelancing, then covid struck, it affected everyone. I was jobless till October before I got a Job with a US firm that pays $31/hour, 40 hours a week.

The good thing about been a programmer is you can work anytime of the day, the market is not limited to nigeria as you can find job in anywhere in the world while working from home and finally you paid in dollars.

I don't know if this information is about business but I think everyone cannot do business. Besides Business is not limited to buying and selling, a skill you have can also do that, the most important thing is your bringing food to the table

Nice how l wish someone can show me the way but as it is no one and it's not easy being a one woman army ... l just have a question to ask you ; is learning a programming skill difficult and expensive? l would really like to hear your answer Sir.
Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by Odani: 3:11pm On Dec 22, 2020
ehinmowo:

Sorry jawe! I was carried away ni. Yes. And I am throwing myself into it 100%.

U r still not answering the question. It's good to have faith and all but the question he asked is wat alternative source of income have u planned for while u kick off d business. Remember the business cant feed u and pay ur bills until it starts making profit

1 Like

Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by sodiqapril(m): 3:14pm On Dec 22, 2020
jaelz:
Sup guys.

So I decided to share with you how I started my shoe business and how I was able to grow it to profitability, so I started out in 2016 by hiring a shoe maker and renting a shop, then I started engaging massively in social media marketing in 2017 and that was when the big break came for me. As we speak have sold over 1,700 pairs of shoes and the proceeds is what has been keeping me.

So guys lets help others know how we started and grew our business to profitability.
Can you shield more light on the engaging massively on social media

2 Likes

Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by Charpell(m): 3:16pm On Dec 22, 2020
Erojepromise:

Nice how l wish someone can show me the way but as it is no one and it's not easy being a one woman army ... l just have a question to ask you ; is learning a programming skill difficult and expensive? l would really like to hear your answer Sir.

Programming is not difficult but it takes time.
Learn me explain an anology
If you go to france today, you would want to learn a new Language to communicate with the community

Same thing happens to a computer, the computer is just a machine and for you to instruct it you have to learn the language. Javascript and python are beginner friendly language because it looks like english.

If you give yourself 3 months, 8 hours constant practice you will get a job, if you don't find I will show you.

Programming is not money expensive, its time expensive. I dind't pay a dime to anybody, just data on internet.

18 Likes 3 Shares

Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by Nobody: 3:16pm On Dec 22, 2020
FuckAllTheMODs:
Using my other account to answer this question would have been better because I have a topic similar to this on it.
Reason being I once posted a topoc that hit the fp on how I can start a business with 200k last year or early this year, can't really remember sha.

Funny thing is that 200k x 2 is not even upto the money I spent in renting(the landlord insisted on a 4 years rent) and putting the shop in place for use.

I had a big challenge after setting up the shop for use, I already touched my business capital. Mehn, it gave me sleepless nights.

Little did I know God had a bigger and better plan for me.

In comparison to my earlier budget of 200k, what I have spent is in the million range.

It was made possible by God and my loved ones(family members and relatives).

Fast forward to this year, I started my business in October this year and it has been going well, although there are challenges e.g finance(money no dey do man) grin cheesy

Before I forget, about the profitability part, I can't say anything on that because any money I have I always use it to stock up for now, but it sure have profit.

Maybe with time I will start seeing the profit.
Beautiful
Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by Gloriouspa(m): 3:17pm On Dec 22, 2020
Charpell:

I use to mentor people for free via Whatsapp and Telegram but all my effort was wasted because they didn't appreciate it. I though them basic HTML, CSS and Javascript.
Mentoring is not easy, I would advice you make Youtube your best friend.

Thanks for your prompt response. I will try the YouTube stuff, but I would have love the WhatsApp platform mentoring. I will appreciate you with something for your effort if you will have the time please, thanks. I needed to start something early next year as addition to my horticulture business.
Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by Charpell(m): 3:21pm On Dec 22, 2020
Gloriouspa:

Thanks for your prompt response. I will try the YouTube stuff, but I would have love the WhatsApp platform mentoring. I will appreciate you with something for your effort if you will have the time please, thanks. I needed to start something early next year as addition to my horticulture business.
Alright, I see your determination. I may consider opening a free mentorship slot come January.

If there is one thing I was though in Andela, is to give back knowledge and mentorship. If i can get 20 serious people with PC and are determined, I may just mentor for free again.

cc Hannania Erojepromise

12 Likes

Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by Erojepromise(f): 3:25pm On Dec 22, 2020
Charpell:

Programming is not difficult but it takes time.
Learn me explain an anology
If you go to france today, you would want to learn a new Language to communicate with the community

Same thing happens to a computer, the computer is just a machine and for you to instruct it you have to learn the language. Javascript and python are beginner friendly language because it looks like english.

If you give yourself 3 months, 8 hours constant practice you will get a job, if you don't find I will show you.

Programming is not money expensive, its time expensive. I dind't pay a dime to anybody, just data on internet.
Thanks for the input but for one to have experienced hands you need a laptop for practicals right? And if I want to start learning right away what platform can l reach out to and educate myself with?
Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by janedonez(m): 3:25pm On Dec 22, 2020
DisGuy:

Sorry, which part is inspiring....not seen anything on here...
You will not see it because what inspires one may not inspire the other.
Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by Erojepromise(f): 3:27pm On Dec 22, 2020
Charpell:

Alright, I see your determination. I may consider opening a free mentorship slot come January.

If there is one thing I was though in Andela, is to give back knowledge and mentorship. If i can get 20 serious people with PC and are determined, I may just mentor for free again.

cc Hannania Erojepromise
oh that will be great Sir , l am hopeful with this information sir.. can l have more details on this tutoring
Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by Charpell(m): 3:28pm On Dec 22, 2020
Erojepromise:

Thanks for the input but for one to have experienced hands you need a laptop for practicals right? And if I want to start learning right away what platform can l reach out to and educate myself with?
You can start with your phone, download SoloLearn and practice Javascript.
You are free to choose whatever language you want but why I mentioned Javascriopt is because that is my speciality.
You can even build projects with your phone, when you get a laptop then it becomes easy

6 Likes

Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by donsharwama(m): 3:30pm On Dec 22, 2020
Charpell:

cc Hannania Erojepromise

i'm interested... I dont have a phone for now but i have a laptop......

Please i'm 100% interested
Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by Charpell(m): 3:32pm On Dec 22, 2020
Erojepromise:

oh that will be great Sir , l am hopeful with this information sir.. can l have more details on this tutoring
I am not tutoring, i am mentoring. There is a difference

With tutoring, I gather a lot of people and I give things you should do per day. Everyone does it and learn together, because programming is hard, you are bound to be stuck but when you have 19 other learners doing the same thing, you learn faster get more info and move to the next topic after completing your tasks.

My class is fun and interactive, its like a family. There is no way you will lag when you see people completing there task

This is the method I have been using

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by Erojepromise(f): 3:32pm On Dec 22, 2020
Charpell:

You can start with your phone, download SoloLearn and practice Javascript.
You are free to choose whatever language you want but why I mentioned Javascriopt is because that is my speciality.
You can even build projects with your phone, when you get a laptop then it becomes easy
thanks Sir l would like to know you better for easy access.l hope you don't mind that but can I have a means to reach you....
Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by pmc01(m): 3:35pm On Dec 22, 2020
Paxxcarl:
what business can i venture into to be earning 300k monthly from a capital of 3million naira
i have been buying real estates land and i’m down to my last 4million

This is tricky though, but can I recommend?
Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by pmc01(m): 3:36pm On Dec 22, 2020
Charpell:

With tutoring, I gather a lot of people and I give things you should do per day. Everyone does it and learn together, because programming is hard, you are bound to be stuck but when you have 19 other learners doing the same thing, you learn faster get more info and move to the next topic after completing your tasks.

My class is fun and interactive, its like a family. There is no way you will lag when you see people completing there task

How do we join in?
Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by Erojepromise(f): 3:37pm On Dec 22, 2020
Charpell:

okay can I know the mentorship channel will be like?
Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by Charpell(m): 3:38pm On Dec 22, 2020
Erojepromise:

thanks Sir l would like to know you better for easy access.l hope you don't mind that but can I have a means to reach you....
Alright people, I don't want to derail this thread,
if you want to join my whatsapp group https:///EvvZpju7T3FL0ZsDu7SYJZ

4 Likes

Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by Draei: 3:39pm On Dec 22, 2020
Dpharisee:
I am combining my business with 8-5 job and it has not been easy, my staff have made every effort to frustrate me, that's the greatest problem of business in Nigeria (getting trustworthy personell).
I have had to change staff at different times still they are not sincere, they just want to cheat the system even though I don't delay salary by even a day and I can't quit my job now to stay in the shop permanently.
I even engaged my brother to run the business it became worse as he won't give proper record, telling me how he sold on credit to customers and he started living large.

If you are not the one running the business directly day to day or don't have a strict line of control as a medium range organisation it's not very advisable to venture into it.

I agree and this is one of my fears.
Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by HalpyBee(f): 3:41pm On Dec 22, 2020
post=97325051:

You have started again
grin
Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by Erojepromise(f): 3:42pm On Dec 22, 2020
Charpell:

Alright people, I don't want to derail this thread,
if you want to join my whatsapp group https:///EvvZpju7T3FL0ZsDu7SYJZ
thanks but I can't join through this link it's not going through..
Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by Charpell(m): 3:43pm On Dec 22, 2020
[url][/url]
Erojepromise:

thanks but I can't join through this link it's not going through..
The link is been converted, I don't know how to share it

It seems Nairaland does not allow sharing of link
Re: How Were You Able To Start & Grow Your Business To Profitability? by Gloriouspa(m): 3:43pm On Dec 22, 2020
Charpell:

cc Hannania Erojepromise

Thanks brother. God bless you real good.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Fatima Dangote And Jamil Abubakar Wedding Dinner In Abuja (Photos) / Businesses That Can thrive In Nigeria Despite The Bad Economy / Is Lagos A Good Place To Build A Refinery Like Dangote Refinery?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.