Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,836 members, 7,817,463 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 12:42 PM

Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. (18272 Views)

How To Make It As A Nigerian In America In 2014 / Advice On Study In Poland / Nigerian's In South Africa What Are They Doing For A Living? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by demmydems(m): 9:58pm On Mar 27, 2011
Hello NairaLanders, I am a Nigerian currently living in Poland with a valid temporary residence status(Karta Pobytu). I will like to travel to work in Norway this summer as I know about the buoyant economy of the country. I have contacted the Norwegian embassy here in Poland and also Norwegian Directorate of Immigration(UDI). They both confirm the fact that I can travel legally to Norway without a visa with my Polish residence card under the schengen agreement, but I must apply for a permit to be able to work in Norway and for this I must have a valid offer of employment from a Norwegian employer. I will like contributions from people who have an idea on how to go about the issue of getting a job in Norway and other informative contributions will be highly appreciated.
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by Davedavy: 7:35am On Mar 28, 2011
Students that travel to work in other shengen countries during holidays do have people over there to host and link them up,it will be extremely hard for you to get any kind of holiday job in Norway without knowing someone over there.Cost of living in Norway is extremely high,even if you end up getting a job,you might not be able to save anything meaningful since you will also have to pay for accommodation.
Why don’t you try  ‘work and travel USA program”? There are loads of agents all over Poland recruiting students yearly for this, and the package comes with accommodation and paid summer jobs in USA .
try these sites:

http://www.jobster.pl/
http://www.stany.pl/
http://www.studentadventure.pl/
http://www.almatur.pl/workandtravel_usa.php
http://www.ccusa.com.pl/
http://www.workusa.pl/
http://www.tbw.pl/p/work-travel-usa

Read more about the program here:
http://poland.usembassy.gov/visas/nonimmigrant-visas/summer-work-and-travel-program.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by kaffy4tope(m): 11:40am On Mar 28, 2011
Please, is there any cheap university in Poland? i would like to come and study there.
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by demmydems(m): 2:51pm On Mar 28, 2011
kaffy4tope:

Please, is there any cheap university in Poland? i would like to come and study there.
Kaffy4tope, it depends on what you call cheap. You can find universities for around 2500Euros to 3000Euros. However, I must note here that you must have a steady and sufficient amount of money for daily and living expenses, else it will be extremely difficult to survive if not impossible.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by snowdrops(m): 3:19pm On Mar 28, 2011
well thats cheap compared with what uk unis charge. are you not allowed to work in poland with your residence permit btw?
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by demmydems(m): 4:12pm On Mar 28, 2011
snowdrops:

well thats cheap compared with what uk unis charge. are you not allowed to work in poland with your residence permit btw?
Snowdrops, you can say that again but you should also note that not everybody will be able to afford these costs in one straight sweep in addition to the cost of living too. You are allowed to work but getting a job is not easy considering the language barrier and other factors. If a person can support himself/herself for one straight year, then there is the option of going to work somewhere else during the summer months to boost one's finances.
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by juzme: 7:58pm On Mar 28, 2011
@demmydems
I like your honesty. I hope people who want to go and study in some eastern european country solely on the aim finding a job during their study period will have something to gain from your contribution. People should know it is not always easy to find parttime job these days if you are a student. Therefore, you must have enough finance to support yourself during your study period.
As regard to Norway you as seeking for summer job, you dont need to apply for work permit for your summer job, moreover, it is not going to be easy getting a work permit as a student who want to only work for a short period.
As someone already mention, you can find something easier if you know anyone in Norway. If the person is ready to host you during your period of stay, you can go into any restaurant and ask them for jobs. Mostly in summer, some restaurants hire people to help them during the summer period. You can as well ask for jobs in pubs. Also, there are some farms that need labourers to pick fruits and vegetables. Norway has some fish markets where you can go on daily basis to find job. I cant remember the name of the place. Good luck!
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by demmydems(m): 7:04am On Mar 29, 2011
juzme:

@demmydems
I like your honesty. I hope people who want to go and study in some eastern european country solely on the aim finding a job during their study period will have something to gain from your contribution. People should know it is not always easy to find parttime job these days if you are a student. Therefore, you must have enough finance to support yourself during your study period.
As regard to Norway you as seeking for summer job, you dont need to apply for work permit for your summer job, moreover, it is not going to be easy getting a work permit as a student who want to only work for a short period.
As someone already mention, you can find something easier if you know anyone in Norway. If the person is ready to host you during your period of stay, you can go into any restaurant and ask them for jobs. Mostly in summer, some restaurants hire people to help them during the summer period. You can as well ask for jobs in pubs. Also, there are some farms that need labourers to pick fruits and vegetables. Norway has some fish markets where you can go on daily basis to find job. I cant remember the name of the place. Good luck!

@Juzme,
I read some of your previous posts and I appreciate the way you also give clear and honest answers, especially to helping people to know the rights from the wrong. Thank you so much for your advice regarding Norway too. I actually have a friend there who Norwegian but from Rwandese roots and he his also helping. The main issue I don't know how much he will be willing to help about is accommodation which I understand can be petty expensive in Norway. Even for the seasonal jobs, I was made to understand by their directorate of immigration, UDI that I still need a residence permit for these kind of jobs which can be submitted directly to the Police on arrival in Norway. The issue of a work permit is not an issue for now as you stated in one of your posts, these European countries are trying to protect their citizens because of the economic recession. I am working hard and strategizing on plans and believing God take control. Please do have a nice day ahead.
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by justhustle: 7:04pm On Mar 30, 2011
@demmydems
what city are you in poland?
what is living conditions like for students,ie how much can you surive on for a month(accomodation and feeding) minimum?
do you have an idea of krakow?
poland,finland or estonia which would you recommend?
would really appreciate your reply as i am considering coming to poland for my masters so i really need to make my mind up.
Thanks
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by Hoodrat(m): 7:56pm On Mar 30, 2011
Poland is a nice country with nice people, But you gotta have money to survive in poland because europe is not easy nowadays.
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by demmydems(m): 8:38pm On Mar 30, 2011
Hoodrat:

Poland is a nice country with nice people, But you gotta have money to survive in poland because europe is not easy nowadays.

On point.
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by demmydems(m): 8:48pm On Mar 30, 2011
justhustle:

@demmydems
what is living conditions like for students,ie how much can you surive on for a month(accomodation and feeding) minimum?
would really appreciate your reply as i am considering coming to poland for my masters so i really need to make my mind up.
Thanks
Justhustle,
I am not the best person to talk about Finland and Estonia since I have never been to these places but I know Poland is a nice country, making rapid developments and it is a good place for a stepping stone or place to study if you are focused on studying strictly. I live close to Krakow and the cost of accommodation is around 480PLN a month which is around 25K naira. Cost of living depends on your lifestyle and it will be very difficult for me to evaluate that, but around 100-200PLN a month should do, except you spend in excess. However, you should not have it in mind of getting a job to support yourself for the first year. Krakow is a very nice and historical city, with a very nice international presence. There are lots of international students and also Nigerians.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by justhustle: 10:46am On Mar 31, 2011
@demmydems
thanks for you r reply
i would like to ask some questions which i fink may not be too ideal to post on a public forum.
drop your email or email me please.its crucial.
prinewill199@yahoo.com.
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by justhustle: 10:47am On Mar 31, 2011
sorry its princewill199@yahoo.com
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by Davedavy: 12:03pm On Mar 31, 2011
justhustle:

@demmydems
Thanks

demmydens has pretty much summed everything up,that is exactly how it is,things are not that expensive in Poland compared to other EU countries likewise wages are lower.Krakow is a very beautiful city with lots of foreigners Nigerians inclusive,and in summer,it is typical to have English speaking foreigners all over Krakow especially the city center.
Another nice city in Poland is Poznan,lots of Universities and lots of foreigners as well.Make sure you have enough money to take you through the first year and try learn the language as fast as you can,i believe by the time you pick the language things will be easier for you.Most Nigerians i know in Poland are either teaching English as a foreign Language or into business,since it is a shengen state,you can always travel around shengen (Germany for cars and spare parts,Paris for perfumes,Milan for clothes etc) and you know how imported stuffs sell in naija once you have the connections.
So i will say,if you can afford it,go for it but please if you do not have enough money to take you through at least one whole year,it is better you stay back and save more.All the best.
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by Davedavy: 12:16pm On Mar 31, 2011
justhustle:

@demmydems
Thanks

First choice will be Finland; best economy amongst all the countries you mentioned,but cost of living is also the highest.

Poland will come second,healthiest of the post-Communist countries in terms of economy and is currently one of the fastest growing within the EU.Wages are still not the best but also cost of living is not high.

Estonia:i haven't been to Estonia before,but i have been to Russia,Latvia,Lithuania and Ukraine.These countries are still close to foreigners,Poland will be a better choice.
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by demmydems(m): 4:21pm On Mar 31, 2011
Davedavy:

First choice will be Finland; best economy amongst all the countries you mentioned,but cost of living is also the highest.

Poland will come second,healthiest of the post-Communist countries in terms of economy and is currently one of the fastest growing within the EU.Wages are still not the best but also cost of living is not high.

Estonia:i haven't been to Estonia before,but i have been to Russia,Latvia,Lithuania and Ukraine.These countries are still close to foreigners,Poland will be a better choice.
DaveDavy is perfectly correct. Finland and in fact most of the Scandinavia countries are continually ranked among the best countries in the world but the cost of living in these countries are kinda high. Poland on the other hand is a nice country developing rapidly and totally banishing the ghosts of their communist past. Being a Schengen country gives you access to about 24 countries without a visa. I have been to Prague and Slovakia and I did not see any gate at the border not to even mention an immigration officer to request for documents. This should tell you how much Europe has become one big village as a whole. Like DaveDavy said, Krakow and Poznan are very beautiful cities with a lot of international presence and universities. The people are very open and nice and will be even more open and nicer once you can speak their language which is kinda difficult but learn able if you are really determined about learning. I will be lying too if I fail to say you might get certain stares of disbelieve in smaller towns, but it might be more of disbelieve, surprise or excitement rather than racism. Only at night you can get a few disgruntled drunk people say the word 'Kurwa' and this is also more in smaller towns amongst the very ignorant few. Overall, it is a place which is ideal to start one's European experience. Search braintrack.com and you have a list of all universities in the world Poland inclusive. Check the universities that appeal to you, contact their admission office and ask for the procedure and every other information you need and I wish you all the best. I will contact you directly on your email address and you can ask me the questions you don't want to post here.

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by justhustle: 6:37pm On Mar 31, 2011
@demmydems
THANKS,will wait for your mail.
your post is quite insightful.
i still have some qualms abou the finland tingy,as most of the post on finland i have read seem to suggest it is equally tough for students.
when you said finland,do you have an idea of the feasibilty of students getting part time jobs while studying?
cheers man.

@davedavy
just curious though,where are you,poland?
thanks for your analysis of these countries.
do you have an idea of life in finland for foreign students?most of the post i have read on finland dont seem to be too encouraging even if the word around is that scandinavia europe is tha place to be.
would really appreciate response from somebody who has first hand experience of this country as righ now am considering finland and poland.
would appreciate some more info on finland.
cheers bro
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by Davedavy: 11:52am On Apr 01, 2011
justhustle:

@davedavy
just curious though,where are you,poland?

would really appreciate response from somebody who has first hand experience of this country as righ now am considering finland and poland.
would appreciate some more info on finland.
cheers bro

My business is headquartered in Poland,but i have branches in other countries within Europe,so i be ajala the traveler smiley.

justhustle:

thanks for your analysis of these countries.
do you have an idea of life in finland for foreign students?most of the post i have read on finland dont seem to be too encouraging even if the word around is that scandinavia europe is tha place to be.

It is not easy anywhere in the world,Europe just came out of recession with some countries still deep in recession,but your goals should be of paramount importance here and not what people say.Finland is okay,you pay no tuition fees,quality of Education is very good,you are legally allowed to work part time during school term and full time on holidays(if you are lucky to get a job).so what do you have to lose? except you have a well paid job in Nigeria.
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by untainted: 5:04pm On Apr 03, 2011
Please daveday I want to contact you on your email for
a very personal matter. Please is it okay with you?
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by Davedavy: 7:41pm On Apr 03, 2011
untainted:

Please daveday I want to contact you on your email for
a very personal matter. Please is it okay with you?

I'll be glad to help if i can.
Stay blessed.
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by canlor: 9:06pm On Apr 30, 2011
@davedavy and co.
what is the feasibilty of getting part time jobs as a student in the summer in any european country.
which of the scheghen countries would be ideal.details please.

@
demmydems
have you been sucessful in your norway runs for the summer,
mak una link a brother o,alarm dey tear.
canlormail@yahoo.com
thanks
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by fadhill: 10:44am On May 11, 2011
Hi guys, I will like to get over to Poland for my Master degree programme. I have a sibling residence in Paris. Kindly advice how I can get to use the opportunity of the accommodation in Paris to settle for a summer job in Paris while on academic brake. Thanks in anticipation of your sincere advice. Hail you all.
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by peddyuk: 1:05pm On May 20, 2011
Dave Davy, sorry to bother you, pls will like to have a personal chat with you, pls let me have your email, asap pls, cheers mate
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by mikkyangel(m): 4:09pm On May 20, 2011
Demmydems,
Just like Dandavid advised u,if i were in ur shoes i"ll choose summer holiday job in usa. 2yrs ago,as a student in Poland i nursed the ambition of going to huzzle in Norway during the summer,but i tell u,u nor go get work permit as a student.Men ,this could be the only opportunity u have to visit America. U ar alrdy in Europe,after ur studies,u can offcos go try ur luck in Norway/ Denmark.or any part of Europe in u wanna settle down there.

I must say dt i enjoyed every bit of my stay in America 2009 summer,besides accommodation was just $20 every 2weeks,feeding was free in that i worked in a resort.I made not less than 4000 dollars (salary+tips), working at Cedar Point Resort,Ohio Sandusky.

The agent fee u will pay plus flight should u using CCUSA is d cheapest to me because i meet other polish nationals in sandusky who told me how much they paid using other agents,

I BILIV U WERE D ONE I HAD A CHART WITH A COUPLE OF WEEKS BACK abt choosing America over Norway? take dis opportunity to see another continent(North America),bless ur n9ja passport with an American visa and i promise u wount regret it.Beside ,Norway is fucking too expensive,and ur man over there,how sure ar u that he will cover u trhu ur duration.

In Amsterdam, Berlin, Paris the moment the airport security saw dt i had a usa visa in the past( because i hv u 2usa visa),i was not subjected to to many questions,

1 Like

Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by snowdrops(m): 4:45pm On May 20, 2011
poland ke. people shine your eyes before leaping or handing over any money to so called travel agents. many here are scams.

to be fore warned is to be fore armed.
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by frankike1: 11:24pm On Jun 02, 2011
@ Davedavy and demmydems
innitially i had interest in running my program (msc) in USA but my sponsor is not responding as expected and 2 schools gave me admision. pls do u know any reliable agents in NAIJA that can process my student Visa to poland? i have some cool cash on my own. like N1m
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by frankike1: 11:35pm On Jun 02, 2011
@ Davedavy and demmydems

please u can inbox me at mrbones4real at gmail dot com. pls we dont want any scammer here pls
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by Davedavy: 11:38am On Jun 03, 2011
frank_ike:

@ Davedavy and demmydems
innitially i had interest in running my program (msc) in USA but my sponsor is not responding as expected and 2 schools gave me admision. pls do u know any reliable agents in NAIJA that can process my student Visa to poland? i have some cool cash on my own. like N1m

Unfortunately i do not know any agent.I believe you can process the admission yourself,you really do not need an agent to do that for you.Check out websites of different Polish Universities here; http://www.findaschool.org/index.php?Country=Poland

and contact them,they will tell you the admission procedure.

All the best.
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by suxes2005(m): 11:45am On Jun 03, 2011
Davedady et all. Please kip up d good work. I have learnt a lot here as well
Let d infos kip comin accordingly.
My question is dis, I have a client whom I got a 3mnths schengen visa for. He wants to change
To student visa when he gets there. Please advice if dis is possoble and also d country/schengen state dat's gud 4 such
Re: Nigerian In Poland Needs Information On Norway. by mikkyangel(m): 8:01pm On Jun 03, 2011
Suxes,
Yes it is very very posible to change to student visa wen he gets there. I"ll even advise him to enrol in CLARK UNIVERSITY in Warsaw/Lodz. Its a very good American University in Poland where ur client can do his first year in Poland and complete his programme in America. In as much as he has gotten his visa to Poland,all he needs to do is to hv enough cash to cover his studies. The school conducts its lectures only on weeknds so he can hv enough time to huzzle.The school has a very good reputation(even in the eyes of the American embassy in Warsaw) ,and as such will assist him in securing the visa to America after completing his first yr in Poland.

I hv a friend , Deola who change frm my school to Clark university,and she finished in America,u can send me ur email adress so i will send u her number so as to get more info abt the school.She currently in lagos.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Vehicle Plunges Into River In Delta State, Three People Feared Dead / A Nigeria Nurse Moving To The UK / "Uber, Bolt Not Banned At Airports" - FAAN

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.