Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,488 members, 7,819,771 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 10:54 PM

A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So (1145 Views)

As A Lady, Can You Start Life With A Man That Lives Here? (SEE PHOTO) / The Biggest Mistake A Lady Can Make In Life Is To Marry A Poor Man- Nigeria Lady / Are There Chances That A Lady Can Meet Her Future Husband At A Wedding Reception (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by Tajbol4splend(m): 12:57pm On Dec 27, 2020
According to the Twitter handle of @NigeriaStories,
under the Nigeria Law, a woman can sue a man to court if he had agreed to marry her and later broke off the engagement. It is known as "Breach of promise to marry" in the constitution.

I can't imagine what would happen if this law were in full effect

Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by Kriss216: 12:58pm On Dec 27, 2020
Na by force grin grin

Dear men, never underestimate the desperation of an evening newspaper.

8 Likes

Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by Nobody: 1:01pm On Dec 27, 2020
lol
Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by Realtord43: 1:02pm On Dec 27, 2020
Breach of promise abi?

what about after engaging her and she still sharing her pus.ssy to different men?

OR

After engaging her i discover that are attitudes and character are bad which she had been hiding through pretend.

For a guy to break his promise to a girl, she must hv go against the promise made to her.

2 Likes

Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by Kriss216: 1:02pm On Dec 27, 2020
Zzor:
lol
E funny you, bah?
Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by MJBOLT: 1:06pm On Dec 27, 2020
And what of bitches who promise sex and fail to deliver undecided
Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by debbydams(f): 1:09pm On Dec 27, 2020
grin
Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by Hollawayn05(m): 1:11pm On Dec 27, 2020
Nonsense law
Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by HallaDaTruth: 1:12pm On Dec 27, 2020
Ok
Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by ThatWasEpic001: 1:12pm On Dec 27, 2020
Tajbol4splend:
According to the Twitter handle of @NigeriaStories,

I can't imagine what would happen if this law were in full effect
I tell you say I won buy market, I later tell u say I no buy again grin...na by force
These vagina peeps sha...steady bursting my cerebrum grin

1 Like

Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by Perfectsouth(m): 1:12pm On Dec 27, 2020
Feminist and evening newspapers on this one...

Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by Perfectsouth(m): 1:14pm On Dec 27, 2020
MJBOLT:
And what of bitches who promise sex and fail to deliver undecided
breach of promise to deliver sex
Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by virginprincess(f): 1:18pm On Dec 27, 2020
I wish such law would hold in nigeria.
Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by Tajbol4splend(m): 1:21pm On Dec 27, 2020
ThatWasEpic001:

I tell you say I won buy market, I later tell u say I no buy again grin...na by force
These vagina peeps sha...steady bursting my cerebrum grin

If na country wey law strong, you go reason am well before you even price am
Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by hashtagged(m): 1:36pm On Dec 27, 2020
Is it a crime to throw away your old newspapers when you are done reading them. Kilode?

1 Like

Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by Nobody: 1:38pm On Dec 27, 2020
Lol. Easy to solve.

Men, stop promising women marriage. If you have to, make sure there are no witnesses.

Now on to the converse, what of women who renege on their promise to marry men; and who take money from men under such pretences? Ranging from school fees to financial support for their relatives? Are they also liable to jail terms?

1 Like

Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by Nobody: 1:41pm On Dec 27, 2020
Realtord43:
Breach of promise abi?

what about after engaging her and she still sharing her pus.ssy to different men?

OR

After engaging her i discover that are attitudes and character are bad which she had been hiding through pretend.

For a guy to break his promise to a girl, she must hv go against the promise made to her.

Don't engage her.
Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by donbachi(m): 1:50pm On Dec 27, 2020
Pls,becareful of the things u post here..cos it will be used against u,in the court of law..so,wat will then happen to girls dat eats guys money and even go to the university,with the guy as her sponsor.
Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by Openbusiness: 2:00pm On Dec 27, 2020
STORY FOR THE GODS!!! Na d same oyinbo wey do pencil, na dem do eraser. Those 2 conditions are the loophole any smart man will capitalize on to use this law to clean his butt like tissue paper, flush it and escape grin. Una neva wise reach. Thank God for the red pill tongue

The Supreme Court per Niki Tobi J.S.C. held thus:

“In view of the fact that the case of the respondent is breach of agreement on the part of the appellant to marry him, I will take here what constitutes breach of agreement to marry. Two elements are necessary to constitute a breach of agreement or promise of marriage. First, the party jilted must prove to the satisfaction of the court that there was in fact a promise of marriage under the Matrimonial Causes Act, 1990, or under Islamic Law or under Customary Law, on the part of the other sex. Second, the party reneging has really, and as a matter of fact, failed or refused to keep to the agreement of marriage… A mere convivial or romantic relationship without more is not enough for a court to found an agreement to marry… I could not place my hand on any evidence by the witnesses that the property in dispute was developed because the appellant and the respondent agreed to marry. If anything, appellant said in her evidence that there was no issue of marriage between them.”

2 Likes

Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by extol1(m): 2:01pm On Dec 27, 2020
I don't understand what she said, so far she didn't mention the section of the constitution where it was stipulated
Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by Nobody: 2:21pm On Dec 27, 2020
virginprincess:

1 Like

Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by paulolee(m): 2:43pm On Dec 27, 2020
shame no go allow DM try am..
Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by youngvikthor(m): 2:46pm On Dec 27, 2020
and nothing make a lady fall than this word I WILL MARY YOU grin
Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by TheVictim01(m): 3:40pm On Dec 27, 2020
Aunty, food Don done. grin
Zzor:
lol
Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by Bennysam: 3:58pm On Dec 27, 2020
Did that agreement written down? Who was there when he made that promise and what about girl that a man will send to university and she will dump him to another man after training her
Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by Nazgul: 4:39pm On Dec 27, 2020
virginprincess:
If such law exists ladies would be the highest culprits.

All these ladies who were trained by their non educated boyfriends, but jilted him upon graduation, to girls who dump their broke fiance for a much richer guy, to girls who ditch their guy just to abscond with an abroad nigger.

Literally all female flirts would be in jail.
Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by NobleAngell(f): 4:39pm On Dec 27, 2020
Really? As dumb as this sounds, it would have been a nice one.
Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by NobleAngell(f): 4:42pm On Dec 27, 2020
RisenPhoenix1:
Lol. Easy to solve.

Men, stop promising women marriage. If you have to, make sure there are no witnesses.

Now on to the converse, what of women who renege on their promise to marry men; and who take money from men under such pretences? Ranging from school fees to financial support for their relatives? Are they also liable to jail terms?
No, that's actually excusable.
Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by Tajbol4splend(m): 5:46pm On Dec 27, 2020
RisenPhoenix1:
Lol. Easy to solve.

No law is gender biased
Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by Nobody: 5:50pm On Dec 27, 2020
nnn Sue
u go sue taya
Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by adebankole74596: 5:54pm On Dec 27, 2020
Feminist and evening newspapers on this one...
Re: A Lady Can Sue A Man Who Promises To Marry Her But Fails To Do So by Tajbol4splend(m): 7:27pm On Dec 27, 2020
NobleAngell:
No, that's actually excusable.

Are you kidney me

(1) (2) (Reply)

Just Curious / Whisper App: 'I Wish I Hadn't Left My Ex For My Boyfriend': People Share Their B / Times Of A Naija Ex Hubby

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.