Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,257 members, 7,818,880 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:12 AM

Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat (1237 Views)

Nigeria’s Unity Not Negotiable - Ooni / Buhari: Nigeria’s Unity Is Non-Negotiable / Anybody That Jokes With Nigeria's Unity Has A Problem With Us - President Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by bilms(m): 6:10pm On Dec 28, 2020
*Nigeria's unity is not negotiable*
By Abdulrazaq Hamzat

The phrase, Nigeria's unity is not negotiable came into existence in 1959, during the debate of whether or not, to include separation clause in the independent constitution between Chief Obafemi Awolowo and Dr Nnamdi Azikwe.

Dr Nnamdi Azikwe coined the phrase to advance his position on the need for Nigeria to aspire for collective greatness beyond myopic consideration.

While Awolowo argued that, separation clause should be included in the constitution to give room for regions willing to explore Independence if they are unhappy with the arrangements in the future, Zik on the other hand argued otherwise. He stated that, once Nigeria is a united country post Independence, it's unity is not negotiable and no separation clause should be included in the constitution to avoid unnecessary balcanization on clownish basis.

Some people have erroneously claimed that the phrase, "Nigeria's unity is not negotiable", came from the military, but this is not true.

Personally speaking, I love the phrase because, it is not only firm, it is also universal. Unity, by nature is not negotiable. Even between countries, unity is still not negotiable because, no matter how much you fight with your neighbor, sooner or later, you both will come to the realization that you must unite. That's why every country, including South and North Korea are always talking about it despite their years of hostility.

So, I love the term, our unity is not negotiable. It is a universal truth that is just being reemphasized here in Nigeria.

For me,i enjoy every bit of Nigeria, it's challenges and the opportunities.

It is my decision that, while I will continue to work to expand the opportunities in Nigeria, I will equally continue to work to strengthen it against it's obvious challenges and under no circumstance, will I allow my voice to be silenced, no matter who disagrees with my position and no matter how many they are.

Everyone has the right to their views, but I choose to see only the positive things in Nigeria.

I made this decision because, the positives far outweigh the negatives and no one has been able to prove otherwise.

You can't force me to be sad about Nigeria with some disjointed views, you can't force me to be unhappy or less optimistic. To change my perspective, you have to provide superior information and context. Until then, I find Nigeria enjoyably optimistic and I will defend it as promised in our national anthem.

While growing up, I made promise every morning at school to defend the integrity of Nigeria and you know what, we all made this promise and unfortunately, not many are fulfilling this promise.

Meanwhile, I have never worked with or benefited from any government in the country. I have never been a beneficiary of government appointment or contract, but I will never seize to fulfill my promise to Nigeria.

If you observe carefully, the loudest critics of Nigeria are people who have been benefiting from government all of their lives and their criticism of the country is often from personal interest and quest for personal advancement.

Yes, I have been a victim of the system in the country. I was once expelled from the University for standing against maladministration, corruption and abuse of office. I have been arrested, intimidated by a state government and as a matter of fact, N10billion defamation lawsuit was once filed against me by a former governor and former senator for speaking up against human rights violation, but still, I stand with Nigeria. Conduct of individuals, whether in government or outside of it should not be used against the country.

It is my resolve to continue to protect the corporate integrity of Nigeria, always, against the destructive narrative of some people.

While It's your choice, to see what you choose to see about Nigeria. What you see, maybe different from what I see and we may be seeing differently, even when we are looking at the same thing and you cannot impose your views on others.

I have examined all claims by the various groups and I do not see any fundamental flaw in Nigeria. All I see are semantics.

I have gone through the Constitution many times and I do not see any insensitivity in the manner many are talking about, apart from few things here and there. Ofcouse, those few things matter, but not in the manner many exergerate.

So, if I say there's no flaws in Nigeria, what then is responsible for its slow pace of development?

To put it straight, Nigeria is not making the desired progress because of poor leadership and poor followership. Nothing more, nothing less.

Our lack of progress has nothing to do with a flawed union or constitution.

All of the issues we are raising as flaws in our constitution are not flaws in the real sense, they are possibly honest insertion, out of sheer patriotism.

We talked about resource control, fiscal federalism, decentralization etc, but in the first republic, each region was controlling its resources, power was decentralized to the region and what came out from it? The 12 days war led by Isaac Boro from Nigeria Delta, which metarmophozed into Niger Delta Militancy. Military coup, which killed many brutally and the eventual Civil war that claimed millions of lives. All of the above came out from a decentralized Nigeria and a Nigeria, where each region was controlling its resources.

My position is very simple, no matter our renegotiation, if our quality of leadership and followership didn't change, we will have the same issue.

So, instead of focusing on the semantics, why not focus on the source of the issue and address it once and for all?

Abdulrazaq Hamzat
Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by LogoDesigner01: 6:11pm On Dec 28, 2020
Then, all inclusive government is is the answer.
Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by capitalzero: 6:21pm On Dec 28, 2020
No nation with multiple cultures, different ethnicities, numerous languages, different religious ideas all combined together would ever develop. No single unifying factor apart from our dark skin. Nigeria unity is not possible.
Those that fought for independence were myopic.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by Nigeriabiafra80: 6:25pm On Dec 28, 2020
We agree
But that will be when biafra had left

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by TonyeBarcanista(m): 6:36pm On Dec 28, 2020
No entity on planet earth is nonnegotiable, not even the United Kingdom and United States of America.

[s]
bilms:
*Nigeria's unity is not negotiable*
By Abdulrazaq Hamzat

The phrase, Nigeria's unity is not negotiable came into existence in 1959, during the debate of whether or not, to include separation clause in the independent constitution between Chief Obafemi Awolowo and Dr Nnamdi Azikwe.

Dr Nnamdi Azikwe coined the phrase to advance his position on the need for Nigeria to aspire for collective greatness beyond myopic consideration.

While Awolowo argued that, separation clause should be included in the constitution to give room for regions willing to explore Independence if they are unhappy with the arrangements in the future, Zik on the other hand argued otherwise. He stated that, once Nigeria is a united country post Independence, it's unity is not negotiable and no separation clause should be included in the constitution to avoid unnecessary balcanization on clownish basis.

Some people have erroneously claimed that the phrase, "Nigeria's unity is not negotiable", came from the military, but this is not true.

Personally speaking, I love the phrase because, it is not only firm, it is also universal. Unity, by nature is not negotiable. Even between countries, unity is still not negotiable because, no matter how much you fight with your neighbor, sooner or later, you both will come to the realization that you must unite. That's why every country, including South and North Korea are always talking about it despite their years of hostility.

So, I love the term, our unity is not negotiable. It is a universal truth that is just being reemphasized here in Nigeria.

For me,i enjoy every bit of Nigeria, it's challenges and the opportunities.

It is my decision that, while I will continue to work to expand the opportunities in Nigeria, I will equally continue to work to strengthen it against it's obvious challenges and under no circumstance, will I allow my voice to be silenced, no matter who disagrees with my position and no matter how many they are.

Everyone has the right to their views, but I choose to see only the positive things in Nigeria.

I made this decision because, the positives far outweigh the negatives and no one has been able to prove otherwise.

You can't force me to be sad about Nigeria with some disjointed views, you can't force me to be unhappy or less optimistic. To change my perspective, you have to provide superior information and context. Until then, I find Nigeria enjoyably optimistic and I will defend it as promised in our national anthem.

While growing up, I made promise every morning at school to defend the integrity of Nigeria and you know what, we all made this promise and unfortunately, not many are fulfilling this promise.

Meanwhile, I have never worked with or benefited from any government in the country. I have never been a beneficiary of government appointment or contract, but I will never seize to fulfill my promise to Nigeria.

If you observe carefully, the loudest critics of Nigeria are people who have been benefiting from government all of their lives and their criticism of the country is often from personal interest and quest for personal advancement.

Yes, I have been a victim of the system in the country. I was once expelled from the University for standing against maladministration, corruption and abuse of office. I have been arrested, intimidated by a state government and as a matter of fact, N10billion defamation lawsuit was once filed against me by a former governor and former senator for speaking up against human rights violation, but still, I stand with Nigeria. Conduct of individuals, whether in government or outside of it should not be used against the country.

It is my resolve to continue to protect the corporate integrity of Nigeria, always, against the destructive narrative of some people.

While It's your choice, to see what you choose to see about Nigeria. What you see, maybe different from what I see and we may be seeing differently, even when we are looking at the same thing and you cannot impose your views on others.

I have examined all claims by the various groups and I do not see any fundamental flaw in Nigeria. All I see are semantics.

I have gone through the Constitution many times and I do not see any insensitivity in the manner many are talking about, apart from few things here and there. Ofcouse, those few things matter, but not in the manner many exergerate.

So, if I say there's no flaws in Nigeria, what then is responsible for its slow pace of development?

To put it straight, Nigeria is not making the desired progress because of poor leadership and poor followership. Nothing more, nothing less.

Our lack of progress has nothing to do with a flawed union or constitution.

All of the issues we are raising as flaws in our constitution are not flaws in the real sense, they are possibly honest insertion, out of sheer patriotism.

We talked about resource control, fiscal federalism, decentralization etc, but in the first republic, each region was controlling its resources, power was decentralized to the region and what came out from it? The 12 days war led by Isaac Boro from Nigeria Delta, which metarmophozed into Niger Delta Militancy. Military coup, which killed many brutally and the eventual Civil war that claimed millions of lives. All of the above came out from a decentralized Nigeria and a Nigeria, where each region was controlling its resources.

My position is very simple, no matter our renegotiation, if our quality of leadership and followership didn't change, we will have the same issue.

So, instead of focusing on the semantics, why not focus on the source of the issue and address it once and for all?

Abdulrazaq Hamzat
[/s]

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by Flyingngel(m): 6:40pm On Dec 28, 2020
Nigeria existence is highly negotiable.
Anybody that say anything contrary to that needs examination of his or her entire body system.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by NaijaRoyalty(m): 6:42pm On Dec 28, 2020
We want Oduduwa republic and nothing else .

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by johnmartus(m): 6:45pm On Dec 28, 2020
You are talking nonsense... this stupid language is common among you northerner that benefiting massively at detriment of Nigerians this language is just like national anthem to you guys.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by backnbeta(f): 6:48pm On Dec 28, 2020
Rather, dis-unity of Nigeria is not negotiable...we are too divided to coexist as one nation undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by MOLOTOVcockTAIL(m): 6:55pm On Dec 28, 2020
Idiotic abboki talk

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by ehinmowo: 9:56pm On Dec 28, 2020
The mess that Zik created in this messy country is unfathomable. Indie, it's bitting the Igbos in the ass the most

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by Tumbulum: 10:10pm On Dec 28, 2020
ehinmowo:
The mess that Zik created in this messy country is unfathomable. Indie, it's bitting the Igbos in the ass the most
in what way is it biting the Igbo's more? Are they the ones suffering most.in Nigeria?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by bilms(m): 11:15pm On Dec 28, 2020
LogoDesigner01:
Then, all inclusive government is is the answer.

True
Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by bilms(m): 11:16pm On Dec 28, 2020
capitalzero:
No nation with multiple cultures, different ethnicities, numerous languages, different religious ideas all combined together would ever develop. No single unifying factor apart from our dark skin. Nigeria unity is not possible.

It appeared you came from mars

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by bilms(m): 11:17pm On Dec 28, 2020
Nigeriabiafra80:
We agree
But that will be when biafra had left
My grin grin grin
Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by bilms(m): 11:18pm On Dec 28, 2020
TonyeBarcanista:
No entity on planet earth is nonnegotiable, not even the United Kingdom and United States of America.

[s][/s]

There's one.

It is called Nigeria
Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by bilms(m): 11:18pm On Dec 28, 2020
Flyingngel:
Nigeria existence is highly negotiable.
Anybody that say anything contrary to that needs examination of his or her entire body system.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by Nobody: 12:04am On Dec 29, 2020
capitalzero:
Nigeria's complexity is much less than the religious and ethnic diversity of China and India!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by Nobody: 12:09am On Dec 29, 2020
johnmartus:
You are talking nonsense... this stupid language is common among you northerner that benefiting massively at detriment of Nigerians this language is just like national anthem to you guys.
Please check this list and see the real beneficiaries of Nigeria not the fictional ones painted by media propaganda. The Director General, Bureau of Public Service Reforms (BPSR), Dr. Joe Abah, on Friday, disclosed that no fewer than 89, 511 civil servants are in the Federal Government’s employ, across States of the Federation.
89, 511 civil servants in FG’s employ by Nov 2015 – DG BPSR
Abah, in a series of tweets via his Twitter handle, @DrJoeAbah said that as at November 2015, States that topped the chat with most civil servants in the Federal Civil Service are Imo (5825), Kogi (5186), Ogun (4669) Delta (4419) and Akwa-Ibom (4416).

In percentage, Imo State makes up ( 7 %), Kogi (6 %), Ogun (5% ), Delta (5%) and Akwa Ibom (5%).

According to Abah, the Federal Civil Servants by State of Origin read thus:

1. Abia 3579

2. Adamawa 1727

3. Akwa Ibom 4416

4. Anambra 3576

5. Bauchi 1172

6. Bayelsa 957

7. Benue 3951

8. Borno 1822

9. Cross River 2681

10. Delta 4419

11. Ebonyi 865

12. Edo 3890

13. Ekiti 2613

14. Enugu 2695

15. FCT 533

16. Gombe 1218

17. Imo 5825

18. Jigawa 675

19. Kaduna 3199

20. Kano 1545

21. Katsina 1237

22. Kebbi 875

23. Kogi 5186

24. Kwara 2537

25. Lagos 2180

26. Nasarawa 1452

27. Niger 2193

28. Ogun 4669

29. Ondo 3393

30. Osun 3321

31. Oyo 3244

32. Plateau 2542

33. Rivers 1675

34. Sokoto 732

35. Taraba 1112

36. Yobe 744

37. Zamfara 543

Not Specified: 518

“The total nominal roll as at November 2015 is 89,511,” Abah added.
https://www.vanguardngr.com/2015/12/89-511-civil-servants-in-fgs-employ-by-nov-2015-dg-bpsr/
Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by tit(f): 12:17am On Dec 29, 2020
Lord Lugard AbdulRazak
Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by Racoon(m): 3:37am On Dec 29, 2020
It can be seen that Nigeria is an impromptu creation of the British for ease of administration and not because of unity of the people therein.Even the founding fathers of this nation agree that though they desired unity, but “Unity without verity, is no better than conspiracy.” -John Trapp(English philosopher).So Nigeria unity is negotiable.

Americans have to fight a bitter war before they agreed to form a true federalism kind of government.Former USSR dissimulate till only Russia is left today.Southern Sudan have long left Sudan.Brit-Exit is going to see it leaves the European Union(EU).
Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by OreMI22: 3:39am On Dec 29, 2020
Fraudulent brats. Which unity did Nigeria ever have?

They want unity at all costs, but are so intolerant! Instead of promoting unity, it is always the most divisive sectional agenda that these same brats dwell on perpetually. Yet, they turn around and wonder why Nigeria is destined for a violent breakup.

Nigeria is at the finish line of its horrible life of subterfuge, ethnoreligious intolerance, and violence.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by capitalzero: 3:54am On Dec 29, 2020
bilms:

It appeared you came from mars
No from Jupiter! Can you provide an example of such nation?
Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by juman(m): 3:56am On Dec 29, 2020
Igbos always think they are too wise than other tribes.
From azikwe to nzeogwu to ironsi.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by capitalzero: 3:56am On Dec 29, 2020
smiley
Coronabirus:
Nigeria's complexity is much less than the religious and ethnic diversity of China and India!
Both China and India have unifying factor-language
Tell me unifying factor for Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by juman(m): 4:03am On Dec 29, 2020
Obasanjo failure to lead nigeria to the right path led the country to this state.
Because he had the capacity to lead well, but he chose election rigging and unseruios way of governance, led nigeria to abyss.

One nigeria has failed us.

Sudan became separated.
India, pakistan, bangladesh became seperated.
Why not nigeria.
Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by descarado: 5:34am On Dec 29, 2020
Racoon:
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.vanguardngr.com/2020/12/how-to-kill-skin-and-bury-a-country/amp/

It can be seen that Nigeria is an impromptu creation of the British for ease of administration and not because of unity of the people therein.Even the founding fathers of this nation agree that though they desired unity, but “Unity without verity, is no better than conspiracy.” -John Trapp(English philosopher).So Nigeria unity is negotiable.

Americans have to fight a bitter war before they agreed to form a true federalism kind of government.Former USSR dissimulate till only Russia is left today.Southern Sudan have long left Sudan.Brit-Exit is going to see Britain leave the UK.

Brit-exit is UK leaving EU and they have left months ago.
Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by bilms(m): 7:01am On Dec 29, 2020
Coronabirus:

Very true

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by Racoon(m): 7:57am On Dec 29, 2020
descarado:
Brit-exit is UK leaving EU and they have left months ago.
Thanks sir.I greatly appreciate.Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by omowolewa: 8:43am On Dec 29, 2020
Unity is not Negotiable when Equity is undeniable

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by favor914: 8:55am On Dec 29, 2020
capitalzero:
Go to the United Kingdom, & United States of America, then you will know what diversity is, & how myopic minded you really are, it is lazy minded people like you that are 3rd eye blind that keeps holding Nigeria back.
Re: Nigeria's Unity Is Not Negotiable By Abdulrazaq Hamzat by favor914: 8:58am On Dec 29, 2020
Coronabirus:
Please help me tell that clueless lad, Nigeria’s problems are self inflicted based on ignorance of the masses, what we need is awareness, another race inherited Nigeria? They would have been the most prosperous country in the world.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

5 Reasons Why No Ethnic Group Love Themselves More Than Igbos / Now That Alaigbo Republic Is Officially An Option / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.