Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,825 members, 7,956,120 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 03:28 AM

Did You Know That The New Covenant Tells Us To KEEP The Commandments Of God?? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Did You Know That The New Covenant Tells Us To KEEP The Commandments Of God?? (580 Views)

Extreme Wife's Submission To Her Husband According To The New Covenant. / What Did The Savior Say About The Commandments? Did He Contradict Moses? / It Is Not The Law Of Moses But God Himself That Tells Us To Give First Fruit (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Did You Know That The New Covenant Tells Us To KEEP The Commandments Of God?? by DiscipleFaith: 1:55am On Dec 29, 2020
I know that many Christians believe that the New Covenant would be totally different from the Old one. But the truth is that the New Covenant is very similar to the Old Covenant! We are still supposed to keep the commandments of the Old Testament. The New Covenant writes us the commandments in our hearts so that we deliberately keep them! Look what the Bible says:

For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away. - Hebrews 8:10-13

Isn't this interesting? The New Covenant means that we can be born again and receive the Spirit of God which helps us to walk according to the will of God. And that surely includes keeping His perfect commandments. But not only that. It means that we are supposed to be holy and stop sinning. Just as Jesus is holy. If we truly love God, we should believe in his son and strive to become just like him. smiley

If you want a more in depth explanation about this matter read this: https://www.staybiblical.com/what-is-the-new-covenant-in-the-bible/

1 Like

Re: Did You Know That The New Covenant Tells Us To KEEP The Commandments Of God?? by Kobojunkiee: 3:37am On Dec 29, 2020
The New Covenant does none of what you claim.
DiscipleFaith:
I know that many Christians believe that the New Covenant would be totally different from the Old one.
It is in fact a Covenant complete and Separate from the Old Covenant, as Jesus Christ said when He concluded the details of it, announcing on the cross, "It is finished".
DiscipleFaith:
But the truth is that the New Covenant is very similar to the Old Covenant! We are still supposed to keep the commandments of the Old Testament. The New Covenant writes us the commandments in our hearts so that we deliberately keep them!

A Covenant is meant as an agreement between two parties.

In the case of the Old Covenant, the agreement is between God and the descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob

Deuteronomy 30 vs 15-20 (ERV)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
15. “Today I have given you a choice between life and death, success and disaster.
16. I command you today to love the Lord your God. I command you to follow him and to obey his commands, laws, and rules. Then you will live, and your nation will grow larger. And the Lord your God will bless you in the land that you are entering to take for your own.
17. But if you turn away from your God and refuse to listen if you are led away to worship and serve other gods,
18. you will be destroyed. I am warning you today, if you turn away from God, you will not live long in that land across the Jordan River that you are ready to enter and take for your own.
19. “Today I am giving you a choice of two ways. And I ask heaven and earth to be witnesses of your choice. You can choose life or death. The first choice will bring a blessing. The other choice will bring a curse. So choose life! Then you and your children will live.
20. You must love the Lord your God and obey him. Never leave him, because he is your life. And he will give you a long life in the land that he, the Lord, promised to give to your ancestors—Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.”
The Old Covenant came with a set of about 613 commandments in total, about 20 blessings, 30 curses, 1 seal(circumcision of the male born), Eligibility was open to those who are directly descended from Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob only(foreigners who lived among them enjoyed some benefits but not all), 1 major promise that they would live long in the land of Canaan that God had promised to their ancestors.

The New Covenant, the Covenant is between God and all those who are weary and heavy-laden, meaning to people of all nations.

Matthew 11 vs 27-30 (ESV)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
27. All things have been handed over to me by my Father, and no one knows the Son except the Father, and no one knows the Father except the Son and anyone to whom the Son chooses to reveal him.
28. Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.
29. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.
30. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.”
The New Covenant has about 46 commandments in total, lists about 8 blessings, 20 curses, 1 seal(the Spirit of God), 3 major Promises(Eternal life beginning here on earth, Spirit of God Himself as the Only Teacher/Guide/Counselor/Comforter/Helper here on earth, with Heaven of Hell after death) etc.

Notice that each Covenant comes as a complete package for the intended - a contract complete in its definition.
DiscipleFaith:
Look what the Bible says:

For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away. - Hebrews 8:10-13[/quote]
I am afraid you miscontrue Paul's statement there. First, I will tell you what I have told countless others before you who have come pretending they can learn of the New Covenant, Jesus Christ, by reading through the opinions of Paul. Paul did not write of the details and teachings of Jesus Christ. That information can only be found in the Gospels where it is believed that the words and teachings of Jesus Christ, the New details of the New Covenant, are in fact found. Paul wrote of the person of Jesus Christ, and of his, Paul's, journey, but Paul never went into clear details on the contract that is the New Covenant itself.

The passage you quote from Hebrews 8 vs 10 -13 quotes the prophet Jeremiah.

Jeremiah 31 vs 31-34 (ERV)
31. “Behold, the days are coming, declares the Lord, when I will make a new covenant with the house of Israel and the house of Judah, 32. not like the covenant that I made with their fathers on the day when I took them by the hand to bring them out of the land of Egypt, my covenant that they broke, though I was their husband, declares the Lord.
33. For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, declares the Lord: I will put my law within them, and I will write it on their hearts. And I will be their God, and they shall be my people.
34. And no longer shall each one teach his neighbor and each his brother, saying, ‘Know the Lord,’ for they shall all know me, from the least of them to the greatest, declares the Lord. For I will forgive their iniquity, and I will remember their sin no more.”
If you read the verses above(vs 33) you see that God was NOT referring to the writing of commandments from a previously existing covenant, but instead, God declared that He would write the commandments from a New Covenant in the hearts of His people.

Be sure to realize that the Old Covenant is still in operation, even to this day as it is also an everlasting covenant between God and the people of Israel(descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob). Jesus Christ did inform those who would follow Him not to try saving new wine in old wine-skin .i.e. do not attempt to put one foot in the old covenant and one foot in the New Covenant as it all amounts to meaninglessness in the end.
DiscipleFaith:
Isn't this interesting? The New Covenant means that we can be born again and receive the Spirit of God which helps us to walk according to the will of God. And that surely includes keeping His perfect commandments. But not only that. It means that we are supposed to be holy and stop sinning. Just as Jesus is holy. If we truly love God, we should believe in his son and strive to become just like him. smiley
The New Covenant is Jesus Christ Himself...He is the way, the Truth, and the Life.... it is living according to the way Jesus Christ lived and commanded.

As for the perfect commandment, you are probably referring to the commandment to love your enemy as you love yourself... a commandment which is not found as part of the Old Covenant

Matthew 5 vs 43-48 (ERV)
43. “You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor[k] and hate your enemy.’
44. But I tell you, love your enemies. Pray for those who treat you badly.
45. If you do this, you will be children who are truly like your Father in heaven. He lets the sun rise for all people, whether they are good or bad. He sends rain to those who do right and to those who do wrong.
46. If you love only those who love you, why should you get a reward for that? Even the tax collectors do that.
47. And if you are nice only to your friends, you are no better than anyone else. Even the people who don’t know God are nice to their friends.
48. What I am saying is that you must be perfect, just as your Father in heaven is perfect.
DiscipleFaith:
If you want a more in depth explanation about this matter read this: https://www.staybiblical.com/what-is-the-new-covenant-in-the-bible/
Please understand that anyone who teaches that which is in any way different from what Jesus Christ Himself taught is nothing but a false teacher /prophet. Jesus Christ does not promise peace in this world or the next to such.

Mark 7 vs 1-13 (ERV)
1. Now when the Pharisees gathered to him, with some of the scribes who had come from Jerusalem,
2. they saw that some of his disciples ate with hands that were defiled, that is, unwashed.
3. (For the Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they wash their hands properly,[a] holding to the tradition of the elders,
4. and when they come from the marketplace, they do not eat unless they wash. And there are many other traditions that they observe, such as the washing of cups and pots and copper vessels and dining couches.[c])
[b] 5.
And the Pharisees and the scribes asked him, “Why do your disciples not walk according to the tradition of the elders, but eat with defiled hands?”
6. And he said to them, “Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written,
“‘This people honors me with their lips,
but their heart is far from me;

7. in vain do they worship me,
teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’

8. You leave the commandment of God and hold to the (doctrines and rules)** tradition of men.”
9. And he said to them, “You have a fine way of rejecting the commandment of God in order to establish your tradition!
10. For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘Whoever reviles father or mother must surely die.’
11. But you say, ‘If a man tells his father or his mother, “Whatever you would have gained from me is Corban”’ (that is, given to God)[d]—
12. then you no longer permit him to do anything for his father or mother,
13. thus making void the word of God by your tradition that you have handed down. And many such things you do.”
** substituted from another Bible translation for better understanding of what is impacted
Re: Did You Know That The New Covenant Tells Us To KEEP The Commandments Of God?? by AntiChristian: 7:24am On Dec 29, 2020
So who is saying the truth now?
Re: Did You Know That The New Covenant Tells Us To KEEP The Commandments Of God?? by DiscipleFaith: 7:47pm On Dec 29, 2020
]In the case of the Old Covenant, the agreement is between God and the descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob

The Old Covenant came with a set of about 613 commandments in total, about 20 blessings, 30 curses, 1 seal(circumcision of the male born), Eligibility was open to those who are directly descended from Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob only(foreigners who lived among them enjoyed some benefits but not all), 1 major promise that they would live long in the land of Canaan that God had promised to their ancestors.
[/quote]

The 613 commandments was only what the Israelites made out of it. Jesus critcized them because of this matter. They trade the commandments of God for their own man made traditions.

But on the sermon of the mount Jesus made clear that we are even supposed to do more than just keeping the commandments of God from the Old Testament. He said for example, that you have heard you shall not commit adultery, but I say whoever looks at a woman and lusts after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. So we are supposed to be holy just as Jesus. And this clearly includes keeping the commandments.
Re: Did You Know That The New Covenant Tells Us To KEEP The Commandments Of God?? by Kobojunkie: 8:00pm On Dec 29, 2020
DiscipleFaith:
]In the case of the Old Covenant, the agreement is between God and the descendants of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob

The 613 commandments was only what the Israelites made out of it. Jesus critcized them because of this matter. They trade the commandments of God for their own man made traditions.

But on the sermon of the mount Jesus made clear that we are even supposed to do more than just keeping the commandments of God from the Old Testament. He said for example, that you have heard you shall not commit adultery, but I say whoever looks at a woman and lusts after her has already committed adultery with her in his heart. So we are supposed to be holy just as Jesus. And this clearly includes keeping the commandments.
I see you have never actually studied the Old covenant for yourself there. My guess is you are on holiday for at least the next 3 days.

Pick up a copy of the Bible and read, beginning from Exodus 17, where God first commands Moses to begin writing, all the way through to the books of Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy 30, where the Old Covenant is eventually ratified. Be sure to abandon all preconceived notions of who God is and what His Covenant with Israel was meant for before this so God Himself can own your eyes to the Truth that has been ever before you.

When you are done reading through all the laws and commandments, then come back and tell us if 613 was made up by the Israelites or not.

What Jesus Christ criticized the Pharisees for was not about the Heavy yoke(about 613 statutes in total) of the Old Covenant, but because they instead cooked u doctrines and rules/traditions(lies created by men) in addition with which they enslaved the people to worthless endeavours which only serve to nullify the power of God, in much the same way your pastors and teachers today are fund of doing. And Jesus Christ explained the issue thoroughly as is detailed in the passage I posted earlier from Mark 7 vs 1-13
Re: Did You Know That The New Covenant Tells Us To KEEP The Commandments Of God?? by xproducer: 10:13pm On Dec 29, 2020
DiscipleFaith:
I know that many Christians believe that the New Covenant would be totally different from the Old one. But the truth is that the New Covenant is very similar to the Old Covenant! We are still supposed to keep the commandments of the Old Testament. The New Covenant writes us the commandments in our hearts so that we deliberately keep them! Look what the Bible says:

For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: And they shall not teach every man his neighbour, and every man his brother, saying, Know the Lord: for all shall know me, from the least to the greatest. For I will be merciful to their unrighteousness, and their sins and their iniquities will I remember no more. In that he saith, A new covenant, he hath made the first old. Now that which decayeth and waxeth old is ready to vanish away. - Hebrews 8:10-13

========

Spot on! In addition to this, we should remember that it is GOD's / the Lord JESUS CHRIST's rightousness that He imputes to us, simultaneously taking away our sins - Jeremiah 33:16

Jesus Promises Another Helper
If you love Me, keep My commandments." - John 14:15

Build on the Rock
But why do you call Me ‘Lord, Lord,’ and not do the things which I say? Whoever comes to Me, and hears My sayings and does them, I will show you whom he is like: He is like a man building a house, who dug deep and laid the foundation on the rock. And when the flood arose, the stream beat vehemently against that house, and could not shake it, for it was founded on the rock." - Luke 6: 46-48

1 Like

Re: Did You Know That The New Covenant Tells Us To KEEP The Commandments Of God?? by DiscipleFaith: 11:51pm On Dec 29, 2020
AntiChristian:
So who is saying the truth now?

It's always the Bible that is telling the truth. Without adding anything to it and also without taking something away.
Re: Did You Know That The New Covenant Tells Us To KEEP The Commandments Of God?? by Kobojunkie: 12:22am On Dec 30, 2020
DiscipleFaith:

It's always the Bible that is telling the truth. Without adding anything to it and also without taking something away.
So instead of adding as you have attempted to do several times here, please spend time in fact reading what is written in the Old and we Covenants, so you can better understand how it is against God to tamper with or mix up the Covenants in the way that you attempted in your OP.

Each of the Covenants, the Old and the New alike, contain a commandment that warns against adding or removing from the contained laws in anyway. By suggesting that you take from the Old to add to the New, you go against the commandment which Jesus Christ gave,and also explains when He told a story of how not to New wine in Ild wine-skin and vice versa. undecided
Re: Did You Know That The New Covenant Tells Us To KEEP The Commandments Of God?? by DiscipleFaith: 5:19am On Dec 30, 2020
I do understand what the Bible teaches. God always wanted his Children to be holy. Back then and also now. This never changed. Why would it? He sent Jesus to make it easier for us. Through Jesus we can now receive the Spirit of God that helps us to walk holy and to keep the commandments of God. He freed us from sin and slavery.

Kobojunkie:
So instead of adding as you have attempted to do several times here, please spend time in fact reading what is written in the Old and we Covenants, so you can better understand how it is against God to tamper with or mix up the Covenants in the way that you attempted in your OP.

Each of the Covenants, the Old and the New alike, contain a commandment that warns against adding or removing from the contained laws in anyway. By suggesting that you take from the Old to add to the New, you go against the commandment which Jesus Christ gave,and also explains when He told a story of how not to New wine in Ild wine-skin and vice versa. undecided
Re: Did You Know That The New Covenant Tells Us To KEEP The Commandments Of God?? by Kobojunkie: 5:24am On Dec 30, 2020
DiscipleFaith:
I do understand what the Bible teaches. God always wanted his Children to be holy. Back then and also now. This never changed. Why would it? He sent Jesus to make it easier for us. Through Jesus we can now receive the Spirit of God that helps us to walk holy and to keep the commandments of God. He freed us from sin and slavery.

You don't understand what God has always wanted from His people. The Pharisees believed Holiness was it too, and so they were punctual with their sacrifices but in the end, Jesus Christ still disapproved of them as they failed in all of their ways to obey God.

From before the Old Covenant to the New, what God has called for is Obedience...the same Obedience He required from Adam is the same He requires from you even today.

God sent Jesus Christ to be the New Covenant for those who will accept Him. Yes, the Yoke is light and the burden is easy compared to the Old Covenant, but what God demands remains the same....Obedience of His commandments...which are given by and embodied in the person of Jesus Christ.

The only way to be free from sin and slavery is through obedience of the commandments that are Jesus Christ - this is why He said, " and you shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall set you free". What does the Truth set us free from? Slavery to sin. How do we get set free by the Truth? Through our obedience of the commandments which is the Truth of God.
Re: Did You Know That The New Covenant Tells Us To KEEP The Commandments Of God?? by DiscipleFaith: 5:26pm On Dec 30, 2020
Kobojunkie:
You don't understand what God has always wanted from His people. The Pharisees believed Holiness was it too, and so they were punctual with their sacrifices but in the end, Jesus Christ still disapproved of them as they failed in all of their ways to obey God.

From before the Old Covenant to the New, what God has called for is Obedience...the same Obedience He required from Adam is the same He requires from you even today.

God sent Jesus Christ to be the New Covenant for those who will accept Him. Yes, the Yoke is light and the burden is easy compared to the Old Covenant, but what God demands remains the same....Obedience of His commandments...which are given by and embodied in the person of Jesus Christ.

The only way to be free from sin and slavery is through obedience of the commandments that are Jesus Christ - this is why He said, " and you shall know the Truth, and the Truth shall set you free". What does the Truth set us free from? Slavery to sin. How do we get set free by the Truth? Through our obedience of the commandments which is the Truth of God.

Did I say anything else? I also believe that we should be obedient to God and that we should keep His commandments. Just as Jesus did. We should follow his example.
Re: Did You Know That The New Covenant Tells Us To KEEP The Commandments Of God?? by Kobojunkie: 7:00pm On Dec 30, 2020
DiscipleFaith:

Did I say anything else? I also believe that we should be obedient to God and that we should keep His commandments. Just as Jesus did. We should follow his example.
See...but Holiness is not the key. Obedience is! From Adam till Jesus, the message of God has always been the same...."Trust me, Obey me!

Holiness is instead one of the commandments embedded in the Covenants. The overaching message from God However is that Obedience is the key(ofcourse Trust is required for one to Obey).

(1) (Reply)

Today, The High Holy Day Of Pentecost / Jehovah And Allah Are In Trouble / Nigerian Megachurches Practise The Prosperity They Preach

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.