Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,304 members, 7,811,898 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 10:40 PM

IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World (24596 Views)

Nigeria To Become Africa’s Fourth Largest Economy In 2024 – IMF / GDP: IMF Ranks Nigeria 1st In Africa, 26th In The World / IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by descarado: 9:14pm On Dec 29, 2020
Etinosa1234:

The truth is, if it was a negative report they have, u would have taken it at face value...

Just rejoice for once
Nothing to rejoice upon from imf or world bank concerning third world count5ies wether positive or negative. U still remain their milking machine.

Have never been their fan and will never be.
That we perpetually remain a 3rd world country with no hope of rising is them. The conditions u see on the pages of print media is never the condition they give when u borrow. That's cosmetic. U can't and will never do anything meaningful with their money. This has nothing to do with apc or pdp.
But the power the richer and more influential countries weld over you through indebtedness.
Get a textbook on international economics written by any third world lecturer and see them as what they are.
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by COMPAQ(m): 9:19pm On Dec 29, 2020
ijustdey:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2020/12/29/imf-nigeria-remains-largest-economy-in-africa-26th-in-the-world/amp/

Interesting that Nigeria is the 26th biggest economy, but is not the 26th best in anything good such as education, innovation, technology, ease of doing business, infrastructure, exports, healthcare, quality of governance etc.

In all of these, we'd likely be like 160 position.

3 Likes

Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by lereinter(m): 9:22pm On Dec 29, 2020
Largest economy same time largest poverty

What an irony

Largest for nothing...
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by Nobody: 9:25pm On Dec 29, 2020
favor914:
Nigeria is a Federation of States, you should have said the States with their comparative advantages have failed to create an enabling environment for business to thrive, People in Abuja cannot create a thriving environment for business to thrive in a State, that is the duty of the State Government.
Security is centralised on FG.
Electricity is also centralised on FG.
This is key to the enabling environment.
The state isn't responsible for this.
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by Lush100(m): 9:25pm On Dec 29, 2020
"
Buhari has been shouting "?

When did he shout?
Who was he addressing when he shouted this?
I can't remember him shouting anything tangible neither can I see the economy he diversified.
IMF have given us loan and they need to massage our ego that our economy can repay the loan.
I meant no insult please.
Our consumer economy is in shambles.
Small business are dying
Large corporation are downsizing
Poverty is increasing and then IMF is praising us.
Let us not deceive ourselves.
We aren't doing well as we ought to.
2021 will tell us more.
Regards sir

SmartPolician:

First-to-commenters like you explain why Tinubu keeps appearing on threads his name shouldn't appear. Stick to the topic!

To the news now, I will tell anyone who cares to know that Nigeria's economy remains one of the biggest, not due to government's effort, because we have a massive population.

While some leading economies have employed innovation and massive government support to drive their economies, we just depend mainly on petrodollars from Niger Delta oil to drive our economy.

Little wonder Nigeria keeps borrowing to do virtually everything because crude prices plummeted.

Buhari has been shouting diversification since 2015, but he still uses Nigeria's little earnings to prospect for oil in the north. I don't understand that man.

Lastly, may God bless those Nigerians who constantly send FX home to their loved ones. If not for them, only God knows how much the naira will be exchanging today.
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by brainhgeek(m): 9:27pm On Dec 29, 2020
Won to scam yin
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by Eriokanmi: 9:29pm On Dec 29, 2020
uptimumOne23:

You are a confused being. If the government has failed to create enabling environment for business to thrive then how come you are claiming our economy is being driven by private sector investment and not the government.
Wetin this one sab? Without government intervention the economy would still grow but at snail speed as we experience today. Can you tell me the enabling environment the federal government has created to make businesses thrive you sycophant? Is it Electricity, security, loans, just tell me. Till someone like you is pushed to the dungeon, you'd keep praising failure because of your shallow reasoning. No wonder your baba called you lazy youths. I think he's right.

I wonder what role has the government played in my business. Nothing! I run on generator 10 hours daily and switch to inverter intermittently. This is the daily experience of an average SME in Nigeria and this has shut up the cost of services a great deal. Nobody is as confused as you are because you don't even seem to understand what's going on, except you pretended not to know.

The fed govt only takes my tax without being supportive. In spite of the epileptic power supply, they increased tariff by almost 100 % recently. Is that a government? This might not be felt by you probably because you're still under your parents' apron string. By the time you get there if you're so lucky, you'd understand.

2 Likes

Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by uptimumOne23(m): 9:29pm On Dec 29, 2020
nameo:

Crude Oil prices...their greatest refrain!!!

Most African countries do not produce oil, Bros.

Buhari could not have managed the economy better when EVERY (i mean All) economic index under him(GDP size, growth rate, Inflation rate, Poverty rate, Employment rate, Foreign Exchange, Flow of Investment, Balance of Payment, Value of import and Export, stock etc etc etc) have gone SOUTH under him.

There are just certain arguments you guys should never make aloud

Name the few African countries that can stand toe to toe with Nigeria and let's see what they produce.

Most nations if not all are facing some form of economic crisis presently. It's clear your being hypocritical with your comment.

If what you wrote has any iota of truth in it then we wouldn't be holding the first position in Africa and moved up tens of places in the world.

1 Like

Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by Yoruba1stson: 9:36pm On Dec 29, 2020
Nyamiris how far this one no be lagos-ibadan press. Nigeria nah confirmed giant of africa
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by Sirjamo: 9:37pm On Dec 29, 2020
BigSarah:
Ok, thanks to buhari and osibanjo all Nigerians are living large. If you're not living large it's probably cause you're not a Nigerian...
IMF has given paid agents something to juggle at our faces, next year imf will declare the economy a failed economy like the financial times!
Enemy of progress
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by Nobody: 9:38pm On Dec 29, 2020
SmartPolician:

First-to-commenters like you explain why Tinubu keeps appearing on threads his name shouldn't appear. Stick to the topic!

To the news now, I will tell anyone who cares to know that Nigeria's economy remains one of the biggest, not due to government's effort, because we have a massive population.

While some leading economies have employed innovation and massive government support to drive their economies, we just depend mainly on petrodollars from Niger Delta oil to drive our economy.

Little wonder Nigeria keeps borrowing to do virtually everything because crude prices plummeted.

Buhari has been shouting diversification since 2015, but he still uses Nigeria's little earnings to prospect for oil in the north. I don't understand that man.

Lastly, may God bless those Nigerians who constantly send FX home to their loved ones. If not for them, only God knows how much the naira will be exchanging today.

One quick question, how does Nigeria diversify? So far buhari is hell bent on agriculture.

Any other suggestions because I think a lot of these diversification prologue lies with the citizens and off course good government policies.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by favor914: 9:38pm On Dec 29, 2020
nameo:

That is not fully true.

There are 2 recessions i.e at least 4 consecutive negative growth in the economy( that is a CONTRACTION in the economy). Coupled with the fact that even those months when we witnessed growth, they were low growth(in fact, growths that was lower than the population rate). In such situations, you are bound to see a decrease in the effective GDP size.

Even the devaluation, which contributed, is actually a symptom of the poor state/growth of the economy in the last few years.
Never said it was the only reason, a contributing factor.
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by aramideji(m): 9:41pm On Dec 29, 2020
Well President Buhari actually reduced our domestic product capacity from $530 billion, when Una no go follow news. I doubt if you know what GDP means.
Okoroawusa:
I Love PMB

1 Like

Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by MajohBankz: 9:42pm On Dec 29, 2020
Simplyleo:
I disagree with this ewedu Ibadan Express report.

Tinubu trying to convince us that bubu is working, but as a dedicated drinker of lamidi cownu's urine I know Tinubu is a liar.

Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin and lamidi cownu are all aware that our online country is the largest economy in the world.

Las las, ipob pigs are brainless. cheesy

What's economy without happy citizens?
What's economy without security?
What's economy with looters ready to pounce on it?
What's economy with everyone crying?
What's economy when there's always ransom payment to bandits, kidnappers and BH boys?
What's economy with inflation? What's economy with naira devaluation? What's what's what's and more what's to answer.
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by aramideji(m): 9:42pm On Dec 29, 2020
Well President Buhari actually reduced our domestic product capacity from $530 billion President Jonathan left it, when Una no go follow news. I doubt if you know what GDP means.
uptimumOne23:
Nigeria going places...this is not an easy feat.

No 1 is the target

God bless Baba Buhari and Osinbajo
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by aramideji(m): 9:43pm On Dec 29, 2020
Well President Buhari actually reduced our domestic product capacity from $530 billion President Jonathan left it, when Una no go follow news. I doubt if you know what GDP means.

uptimumOne23:

Bad belle dey worry you
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by aramideji(m): 9:43pm On Dec 29, 2020

XXXXTENTACION:
God bless President Buhari.

Nigeria is gradually turning to Dubai. angry
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by aramideji(m): 9:44pm On Dec 29, 2020
Y’all don’t know what GDP means?
Well President Buhari actually reduced our domestic product capacity from $530 billion President Jonathan left it, when Una no go follow news.
Praxis758:
Someone should please furnish us with table showing lists of the first 50 largest economies in the world.

We need to improve in the area of revenue generation to increase our revenue and also strategic policies should be designed to block loopholes that are siphoning our revenues.
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by aramideji(m): 9:44pm On Dec 29, 2020

Freestainworld:
That is how they keep deceiving that dullard in Ao rock, he will now think he is working.
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by aramideji(m): 9:45pm On Dec 29, 2020
Olodo people will just be commenting with boldness.
Well President Buhari actually reduced our domestic product capacity from $530 billion President Jonathan left it.

bigpicture001:

They use productivity to calculate GDP. Not national revenue
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by omoelerin1: 9:46pm On Dec 29, 2020
Buhari cannot understand this analysis.
How will somebody who did not attend secondary school be a President, while a whole professor be his assistant is what baffles me.
Everything just turns upside down for this country.

1 Like

Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by uptimumOne23(m): 9:46pm On Dec 29, 2020
Eriokanmi:
Wetin this one sab? Without government intervention the economy would still grow but at snail speed as we experience today. Can you tell me the enabling environment the federal government has created to make businesses thrive you sycophant? Is it Electricity, security, loans, just tell me. Till someone like you is pushed to the dungeon, you'd keep praising failure because of your shallow reasoning. No wonder your baba called you lazy youths. I think he's right.

I wonder what role has the government played in my business. Nothing! I run on generator 10 hours daily and switch to inverter intermittently. This is the daily experience of an average SME in Nigeria and this has shut up the cost of services a great deal. Nobody is as confused as you are because you don't even seem to understand what's going on, except you pretended not to know.

The fed govt only takes my tax without being supportive. In spite of the epileptic power supply, they increased tariff by almost 100 % recently. Is that a government? This might not be felt by you probably because you're still under your parents' apron string. By the time you get there if you're so lucky, you'd understand.

You keep contradicting yourself. If your claiming there was no intervention by the government and with the snail speed, don't you think we would have dropped down from that list.

Use your head and stop ranting like a frustrated being...This government has been the most supportive when it comes to SME.. its clear your failing in your business due to lack of diligence that's why you're this frustrated.

You need to change your thinking

1 Like

Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by scholes23(m): 9:47pm On Dec 29, 2020
Yet nothing to show for it
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by aramideji(m): 9:49pm On Dec 29, 2020
Do you know what they even mean to begin with? They are talking about all product produced and services rendered in our country sums up to $440billion.
Though President Jonathan left it at $530billion, this means there have been a drastic reduction in our business activities eg Businesses closing Dow due to unfavorable business conditions.

Though it’s not growth but we are still doing better than all other African countries.

jlinkd78:
They are just deceiving us

1 Like

Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by chris51(f): 9:50pm On Dec 29, 2020
Praxis758:
Someone should please furnish us with table showing lists of the first 50 largest economies in the world.

We need to improve in the area of revenue generation to increase our revenue and also strategic policies should be designed to block loopholes that are siphoning our revenues.

Ridiculous salaries and allowances of Senators and members of house of Reps are siphoning our economy
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by chris51(f): 9:51pm On Dec 29, 2020
chris51:

Ridiculous salaries and allowances of Senators and members of house of Reps are siphoning our economy
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by Elvis2kay: 9:51pm On Dec 29, 2020
Awon Oloriburuku dey are deceiving Nigerians just because Nigeria government is following the global other
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by Eriokanmi: 9:54pm On Dec 29, 2020
uptimumOne23:

You keep contradicting yourself. If your claiming there was no intervention by the government and with the snail speed, don't you think we would have dropped down from that list.

Use your head and stop ranting like a frustrated being...This government has been the most supportive when it comes to SME.. its clear your failing in your business due to lack of diligence that's why you're this frustrated.

You need to change your thinking
I run a successful cassava export business with no single kobo fed government contribution. I'm a tax payer to the core . Our government is parasitic. I dare you mention one area where your yeye government is empowering SME or creating enabling environment..electricity, security, loans...how constant is power in your house despite tariff increase? Now I could tell who's contradicting himself. Why did Solgas, wilbros, Unilever, nigerite etc leave for other countries? Why is shoprite leaving Nigeria abi you're also not aware of this. This guy sef.. you need employment in Lai Muhammed's office

6 Likes

Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by EBEk101(m): 9:58pm On Dec 29, 2020
largest economy bt not reflecting on it's people audio
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by Brunicekid(m): 10:02pm On Dec 29, 2020
What's the metric used to measure "largest economy in Africa", please? Someone, please enlighten me!!!
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by nnamdi640: 10:05pm On Dec 29, 2020
A country that continue borrowing is now in 25th. The thunder that will fire whosoever is behind this lie won't have pity on he or she.
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by uptimumOne23(m): 10:06pm On Dec 29, 2020
Eriokanmi:
I run a successful cassava export business with no single kobo fed government contribution. I'm a tax payer to the core . Our government is parasitic. I dare you mention one area where your yeye government is empowering SME or creating enabling environment..electricity, security, loans...how constant is power in your house despite tariff increase? Now I could tell who's contradicting himself. Why did Solgas, wilbros, Unilever, nigerite etc leave for other countries? Why is shoprite leaving Nigeria abi you're also not aware of this. This guy sef.. you need employment in Lai Muhammed's office

@bolded ..it's either your a joker or your simply oblivious of happenings in this country. And you said your into exporting of cassava?

I give up on your gullibility

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Senate Confirms 5 INEC Commissioners, Onochie Dropped, Prof Adam Still On Hold / $2.1b arms deal:Buhari Is Losing His Integrity - Okupe / APC Northern Govs Push For Muslim-Muslim Ticket

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.