Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,332 members, 7,811,969 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 03:09 AM

IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World - Politics (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World (24599 Views)

Nigeria To Become Africa’s Fourth Largest Economy In 2024 – IMF / GDP: IMF Ranks Nigeria 1st In Africa, 26th In The World / IMF: Nigeria To Lose Over $26 Billion From Oil Exports (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by obama30: 4:10am On Dec 30, 2020
ijustdey:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2020/12/29/imf-nigeria-remains-largest-economy-in-africa-26th-in-the-world/amp/

Yes best economy in Africa because of oil and population, not because politicians create it. Nigeria still among one of the worst place to live in Africa.

What does it profit a man to die like a replaceble property without government doing anything for security.
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by Nobody: 6:00am On Dec 30, 2020
Simplyleo:
I disagree with this ewedu Ibadan Express report.

Tinubu trying to convince us that bubu is working, but as a dedicated drinker of lamidi cownu's urine I know Tinubu is a liar.

Donald Trump, Vladimir Putin and lamidi cownu are all aware that our online country is the largest economy in the world.

Las las, ipob pigs are brainless. cheesy

Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by Urstinho(m): 6:28am On Dec 30, 2020
But the GDP still doesn't reflect on the per capita(which is among the lowest in the world). It beats my imagination that we have the largest economy in the continent yet labeled the poverty capital of the world. well, maybe economist can explain better.
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by okunwaye(m): 6:36am On Dec 30, 2020
U
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by Rosskivvyy: 7:01am On Dec 30, 2020
Urstinho:
But the GDP still doesn't reflect on the per capita(which is among the lowest in the world). It beats my imagination that we have the largest economy in the continent yet labeled the poverty capital of the world. well, maybe economist can explain better.

Nobody labeled you 'poverty capital of the world'.

That was a phrase invented ENTIRELY by Nigerians.

All the stats claimed was that Nigeria (largely due to her high population in a developing country) was home to more poor people than any other country on earth.

1 Like

Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by nameo: 7:35am On Dec 30, 2020
uptimumOne23:

Name the few African countries that can stand toe to toe with Nigeria and let's see what they produce.

Most nations if not all are facing some form of economic crisis presently. It's clear your being hypocritical with your comment.

If what you wrote has any iota of truth in it then we wouldn't be holding the first position in Africa and moved up tens of places in the world.

Whats your point biko.

We are still number one cos the diferrence between us.and the 2nd and 3rd placed countries (SA and Egypt) after the rebasing was almost $200billion. Even with a decrease of almost $90billion dollars now(under Buhar, those countries could not have been able to surpass us except they growth exceptionally during those years

Come on, i really didnt have to explain this. It should be self-evident

1 Like

Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by Runtown07: 7:45am On Dec 30, 2020
prekumohtim:

Yet more than 90% of her citizens are suffering daily. No good roads, hospitals, jobs, electricity, universities and so many others. Many of her graduates can only boast of 30k Npower job with abeg while Buhari' daughter is enjoying in NNPC earning over #6m . Our politicians fly abroad for treatment
we are in zoo my brother., almighty God will help us out.
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by lexy2014: 8:41am On Dec 30, 2020
gtown:

The good report actually unsettled him. That's why he is confused. He wanted to hear what his mind wishes. He proudly said that he is an exporter of one agricultural (cassava) product from the country. Yet he couldn't figure out that if there were no enabling environment, how could he has engaged in such business?
But, he is not alone; many of them are dying silently waiting to hear what news which usually please from Sahara reporters and pdp political magazines like the punch.
For the next few weeks, they will come up with their own version of the IMF report to resettled the unsettled gullible fans unsettled and confused by the report.
They will tell you they want the country to progress but the president must fail. Such is their mindsets, the purveyance of their confusion.

Pls what is d enabling environment that u say enables eriokanmi to export his cassava?

U say people want d president to fail. D question is has d president succeeded?
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by uptimumOne23(m): 8:47am On Dec 30, 2020
gtown:

The good report actually unsettled him. That's why he is confused. He wanted to hear what his mind wishes. He proudly said that he is an exporter of one agricultural (cassava) product from the country. Yet he couldn't figure out that if there were no enabling environment, how could he has engaged in such business?
But, he is not alone; many of them are dying silently waiting to hear what news which usually please from Sahara reporters and pdp political magazines like the punch.
For the next few weeks, they will come up with their own version of the IMF report to resettled the unsettled gullible fans unsettled and confused by the report.
They will tell you they want the country to progress but the president must fail. Such is their mindsets, the purveyance of their confusion.

They're confused people
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by lexy2014: 8:49am On Dec 30, 2020
Buccalcavity2:

Bros Nigeria has always been the most populated in Africa but has only been the biggest economy 2wice. Under Jonathan and Buhari, so talk another one.
The main import of the write-up is that Nigeria is the most productive economy(GDP) in Africa but not generating enough revenue from its economy. SA's revenues beats Nigeria's hands down. So SA is richer than Naija.
I think we need one of the Lagos boys to takeover at the center. It's not an easy feat to turn IGR from 30b to 480b within 16years(over a 1000% growth) without increasing tax rate; only them have that bragging right in Nigeria�

Based on what u said, d question is how was GDP measured in this case? If u can answer that, then u will see where d population of nigeria plays a very important role in making it's economy d largest in Africa
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by Jasperado: 9:04am On Dec 30, 2020
Yet, the Nigerian masses are getting poor and poorer on daily basis. Yet, Nigerian maitain the poverty of the world.. Hmmm.... I guess this an is irony. We are just been mocked
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by marylandcakes: 9:07am On Dec 30, 2020
Who compiles these reports? Were they high on something?
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by Eriokanmi: 11:14am On Dec 30, 2020
lexy2014:

Pls what is d enabling environment that u say enables eriokanmi to export his cassava?

U say people want d president to fail. D question is has d president succeeded?
Do don't mind that ignoramus of a being called gtown. I simply ignored him because we know their type. Sycophantic sense doesn't take one anywhere and that's exactly what his likes exhibit. In simple terms, what a business-oriented being means by enabling environment among others are...

1-Peaceful and secure atmosphere.

Buhari has failed in this. You and I know how volatile Nigeria is today, security wise. America is even warning their citizens of traveling to some areas in Nigeria as we speak. Life means nothing under this regime with scores being killed and kidnapped by islamist terrorists everyday.

2-Stable electricity

...which they even promised would happen within 2 years in 2015 when campaigning, which made someone like me fell for their lies and voted them. You and I know buhari has also failed in this, 6 years after. The last time I checked, instead of improving electricity supply to businesses and homes, they increased tariff by 90%. Just ask if the sycophant has constant electricity in his home today, if only he wouldn't dodge the question.

3-Loans to SMEs.

Buhari has also failed in this. I recollected what he said in a town hall meeting in lagos ahead of the presidential election in 2015, that loan would be provided to SMEs to grow their business via bank of industries and other government economic policies. From the list I had, not up to 200 SMEs had successfully got BOI loan in 6 years in a country of iver 200m population. Those successful applicants were either children of serving or retired politicians. This government is a joke. Can we call the 30k N-power money or 10k trader moni, either of which is less than 100usd as SMEs empowering loan? Common! Ask gtown how much is 1usd today and he would deviate from the discussion or blame Jonathan admin who had left power over 6 years ago during which 1usd was exchanged for 160 naira for the Buhari's economic policy failure grin. You see... being sycophantic is injurious...to both those practising it and the country they live in because they also share in the pain.

4-Healthcare

In 2015 still during lagos Town Hall meeting which I attended, buhari told us he will improve our Healthcare system and stop political office holders from travelling overseas to seek medical treatment. The last time I checked, baba go slow had travelled abroad more than any sitting president in Nigeria history to treat ordinary ear infection grin. A good leader would always walk his talk and lead by example. His wife too had run a couple of trips overseas on medical tourism. His daughter even gave birth overseas. What a government...what a leader...! Covid-19 came and began to kill them one after the other while the poor they've failed to protect keep waxing strong. God isn't man you know. In 2017 aisha buhari cried that there was nothing in state House clinic, the facility which occupied less than one acre of land but allocated a whopping 13.5billion in budget prior to that year. This is a facility that's supposed to take care of president, the vice and their family members only. It was under management of the Presidency attached to late Abba kyari who was killed by Covid-19. You see life?

If they could fail in putting such a small facility in shape after spending such huge sums which they eventually embezzled, how much more public hospitals where SMEs and their staff could go for medical treatment. None of my staff uses a public hospital. We have a robust health insurance package for them. You depend on this government at your own risk.

I benefit nothing from Buhari or the federal government in exporting my products rather they eat my money in tax. I just became lucky for the angel investors whom my business partners introduced to me. Oyinbos are nice people if they find you to be trustworthy. This government is a joke.

I can go on and on to highlight what creation of enabling environment by government is all about. @gtown doesn't simply know what he's talking about. He's one of the lazy youths on nairaland grin

1 Like

Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by winterfell007(m): 3:49pm On Dec 30, 2020
nameo:

It is you who is the Ignoramus here. Not the chao you were quoting.

The share of oil and gas in 2014 rebasing was about 9%. It should even be lower than that by now.

The rebasing decreased the share of oil in the GDP of the country, so the high GDP after the rebasing could not have been due to "oil boom": it was due to bringing newer sectors like telecommunications to the calculations and also including income ans expenditure in the computations instead of just production

You guys should stop talking about oil prices. It is silly.

This Govt has retrogressed on every economic index. If it is a lie, i dare you to name just one in which there has been an increase. And that sort of performance isnt due to falling oil prices. Absolutely not

I wonder why you keep educating that zombie. Allow him to wallow in his ignorance. He's forgotten that when the GDP of the economy was revised in 2014, oil even contributed far less to our GDP when compared with our manufacturing, telecommunications, entertainment that contributed hugely to our GDP. He doesn't even know that our GDP even witnessed a contraction under that buffon

2 Likes

Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by favor914: 5:00pm On Dec 30, 2020
Eriokanmi:
Do don't mind that ignoramus of a being called gtown. I simply ignored him because we know their type. Sycophantic sense doesn't take one anywhere and that's exactly what his likes exhibit. In simple terms, what a business-oriented being means by enabling environment among others are...

1-Peaceful and secure atmosphere.

Buhari has failed in this. You and I know how volatile Nigeria is today, security wise. America is even warning their citizens of traveling to some areas in Nigeria as we speak. Life means nothing under this regime with scores being killed and kidnapped by islamist terrorists everyday.

2-Stable electricity

...which they even promised would happen within 2 years in 2015 when campaigning, which made someone like me fell for their lies and voted them. You and I know buhari has also failed in this, 6 years after. The last time I checked, instead of improving electricity supply to businesses and homes, they increased tariff by 90%. Just ask if the sycophant has constant electricity in his home today, if only he wouldn't dodge the question.

3-Loans to SMEs.

Buhari has also failed in this. I recollected what he said in a town hall meeting in lagos ahead of the presidential election in 2015, that loan would be provided to SMEs to grow their business via bank of industries and other government economic policies. From the list I had, not up to 200 SMEs had successfully got BOI loan in 6 years in a country of iver 200m population. Those successful applicants were either children of serving or retired politicians. This government is a joke. Can we call the 30k N-power money or 10k trader moni, either of which is less than 100usd as SMEs empowering loan? Common! Ask gtown how much is 1usd today and he would deviate from the discussion or blame Jonathan admin who had left power over 6 years ago during which 1usd was exchanged for 160 naira for the Buhari's economic policy failure grin. You see... being sycophantic is injurious...to both those practising it and the country they live in because they also share in the pain.

4-Healthcare

In 2015 still during lagos Town Hall meeting which I attended, buhari told us he will improve our Healthcare system and stop political office holders from travelling overseas to seek medical treatment. The last time I checked, baba go slow had travelled abroad more than any sitting president in Nigeria history to treat ordinary ear infection grin. A good leader would always walk his talk and lead by example. His wife too had run a couple of trips overseas on medical tourism. His daughter even gave birth overseas. What a government...what a leader...! Covid-19 came and began to kill them one after the other while the poor they've failed to protect keep waxing strong. God isn't man you know. In 2017 aisha buhari cried that there was nothing in state House clinic, the facility which occupied less than one acre of land but allocated a whopping 13.5billion in budget prior to that year. This is a facility that's supposed to take care of president, the vice and their family members only. It was under management of the Presidency attached to late Abba kyari who was killed by Covid-19. You see life?

If they could fail in putting such a small facility in shape after spending such huge sums which they eventually embezzled, how much more public hospitals where SMEs and their staff could go for medical treatment. None of my staff uses a public hospital. We have a robust health insurance package for them. You depend on this government at your own risk.

I benefit nothing from Buhari or the federal government in exporting my products rather they eat my money in tax. I just became lucky for the angel investors whom my business partners introduced to me. Oyinbos are nice people if they find you to be trustworthy. This government is a joke.

I can go on and on to highlight what creation of enabling environment by government is all about. @gtown doesn't simply know what he's talking about. He's one of the lazy youths on nairaland grin

Long rubbish, Nigeria is made up of 3 tiers of Government, The Federal, States, & Local Government, all you mentioned in your baseless epistle is The Federal Government, what of the States, & Local Government as enshrined the constitution of 1999 as amended? Don’t they make up a substantial part of the Gross Domestic Product? Stop been prejudice in your assertions, has the Governor that you voted for achieved his pre electoral promises?
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by MPSA(m): 8:27pm On Dec 30, 2020
My Favorite topic on nairaland, The Giant Talk cheesy grin
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by Urstinho(m): 6:27am On Jan 01, 2021
Rosskivvyy:

Nobody labeled you 'poverty capital of the world'.

That was a phrase invented ENTIRELY by Nigerians.

All the stats claimed was that Nigeria (largely due to her high population in a developing country) was home to more poor people than any other country on earth.

You're right.
but the government can do better in poverty alleviation with all the resources at our disposal.
Re: IMF: Nigeria Remains Largest Economy In Africa, 26th In The World by Nobody: 8:21pm On Jan 18, 2021
Buccalcavity2:

Bros Nigeria has always been the most populated in Africa but has only been the biggest economy 2wice. Under Jonathan and Buhari, so talk another one.
The main import of the write-up is that Nigeria is the most productive economy(GDP) in Africa but not generating enough revenue from its economy. SA's revenues beats Nigeria's hands down. So SA is richer than Naija.
I think we need one of the Lagos boys to takeover at the center. It's not an easy feat to turn IGR from 30b to 480b within 16years(over a 1000% growth) without increasing tax rate; only them have that bragging right in Nigeria�
If only we can have like 5 states like Lagos in Nigeria, then we will be heading to a trillion dollar economy

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

APC Northern Govs Push For Muslim-Muslim Ticket / PDP Lawmakers Fight Over Positions - Premium Times / Dora Akunyili: 3 Years After Her Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.