Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,876 members, 7,813,983 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 11:22 PM

Fasting Monday And Thursday - Islam for Muslims - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Islam for Muslims / Fasting Monday And Thursday (9184 Views)

2024 Ramadan Fasting Begins Monday – Sultan / Eid Ul Fitr To Be Marked In Saudi Arabia, UAE On Monday / Ramadan: When Will Fasting Start In Nigeria? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Fasting Monday And Thursday by Realismailakabir: 6:48am On Jan 01, 2021
Question

Which is better in fasting – fasting three days of each month or fasting on Mondays and Thursdays? 

Answer

Praise be to Allah.

If we want to discover which is better, fasting on Mondays and Thursdays or fasting three days of each month, we find that fasting on Mondays and Thursdays is better than fasting on three days of each month, because if a person fasts on Mondays and Thursdays each week, that means that he is fasting eight days each month, so he will have done both: fasted on Mondays and Thursdays and fasted three days of the month. 

The three days of each month may be fasted at the beginning of the month, in the middle or at the end, and may be done separately or consecutively, but it is better to fast on the ayaam al-beed, which are the days on which the moon is full, namely the 13th, 14th and 15th of each lunar month. 

There follow a number of ahaadeeth which encourage fasting on Mondays and Thursdays: 

1 – It was narrated from Abu Qataadah al-Ansaari that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was asked about fasting on Mondays. He said: “On that day I was born, and on it the Revelation came to me.” Narrated by Muslim, 1162. 

2 – It was narrated that ‘Aa’ishah (may Allaah be pleased with her) said: The Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) was keen to fast on Mondays and Thursdays. Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 745; al-Nasaa’i, 2361; Ibn Maajah, 1739; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb, 1044. 

3 – It was narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Deeds are shown (to Allaah) on Mondays and Thursdays, and I like my deeds to be shown when I am fasting.” Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 747; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb, 1041. 

The following ahaadeeth encourage fasting on three days of each month: 

1 – It was narrated that Abu Hurayrah (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: “My close friend [the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him)] advised me to do three things which I will not give up until I die: fasting three days of each month, praying Duha, and sleeping after Witr. Narrated by al-Bukhaari, 1124; Muslim, 721. 

2 – It was narrated from Mu’aadhah al-‘Adawiyyah that she asked ‘Aa’ishah, the wife of the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him), “Did the Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) fast three days of every month?” She said, “Yes.” She said to her: “Which days of the month did he fast?” She said, “He did not mind which days of the month he would fast.” Narrated by Muslim, 1160. 

3 – It was narrated from Jareer ibn ‘Abd-Allaah (may Allaah be pleased with him) that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said: “Fasting three days of each month is fasting for a lifetime, and ayaam al-beed are the thirteenth, fourteenth and fifteenth.” Narrated by al-Nasaa’i, 2420; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb, 1040. 

4 – It was narrated that Abu Dharr (may Allaah be pleased with him) said: The Messenger of Allaah (peace and blessings of Allaah be upon him) said to me: “If you fast any part of the month, then fast the thirteenth, fourteenth and fifteenth.”  Narrated by al-Tirmidhi, 761; al-Nasaa’i, 2424; classed as saheeh by al-Albaani in Saheeh al-Targheeb, 1038. 

https://islamqa.info/en/answers/69781/is-it-better-to-fast-on-mondays-and-thursdays-or-on-three-days-of-each-month

6 Likes

Re: Fasting Monday And Thursday by oladipuposadeeq(m): 10:23am On Jan 05, 2021
I fast on Mondays though i break by 12pm but this year i want to start to do Monday & Thursday and break by 12 and if i have the strength to proceed to 2pm or more i will

5 Likes

Re: Fasting Monday And Thursday by Abboki: 9:21am On Feb 12, 2021
embarassed
Re: Fasting Monday And Thursday by DamnNiggar: 9:24am On Feb 12, 2021
grin

Hypopotimus

6 Likes

Re: Fasting Monday And Thursday by sunshineV(f): 9:37am On Feb 12, 2021
why don't u kuku use all ur life on earth to fast

4 Likes

Re: Fasting Monday And Thursday by Otaiky(m): 9:52am On Feb 12, 2021
alhamdulillah

1 Like

Re: Fasting Monday And Thursday by maco1: 9:54am On Feb 12, 2021
Monday and Thursday fasting is preferable, spiritual and health wise only if you do not have any medical challenges.

1 Like

Re: Fasting Monday And Thursday by AbuAeesha: 10:55am On Feb 12, 2021
oladipuposadeeq:
I fast on Mondays though i break by 12pm but this year i want to start to do Monday & Thursday and break by 12 and if i have the strength to proceed to 2pm or more i will
pls are u making jest of the post? how on earth would an adult muslim decide to fast till 12pm or 2pm,pls it's unacceptable (deeds are only accepted wen they are done for Allah's sake and wen done according to Allah's prescription) if u have medical complications that doesn't permit u fast then it's not compulsory for u to fast

5 Likes

Re: Fasting Monday And Thursday by oloyedewaris(m): 11:29am On Feb 12, 2021
marvin906:
At the end of the day.. We all know the outcome Booooooooooooooommmmmmmmmmmmm
Are you not always tired of these stupidity
Re: Fasting Monday And Thursday by Nobody: 11:50am On Feb 12, 2021
AbuAeesha:

pls are u making jest of the post? how on earth would an adult muslim decide to fast till 12pm or 2pm,pls it's unacceptable (deeds are only accepted wen they are done for Allah's sake and wen done according to Allah's prescription) if u have medical complications that doesn't permit u fast then it's not compulsory for u to fast
They keeping making jest of our dawah

4 Likes

Re: Fasting Monday And Thursday by AbuAeesha: 12:42pm On Feb 12, 2021
Mikecold:
They keeping making jest of our dawah
okay,God is Sufficient for us!!

1 Like

Re: Fasting Monday And Thursday by Nobody: 12:44pm On Feb 12, 2021
AbuAeesha:
okay,God is Sufficient for us!!
Hmmm

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Fasting Monday And Thursday by wumi2017(f): 1:20pm On Feb 12, 2021
Alhamdulillahi � kheziran

1 Like

Re: Fasting Monday And Thursday by abdullahi45: 2:05am On Feb 13, 2021
Jazakallahu khairan;

Alhamdulilah ala'nimatil Islam

(1) (Reply)

Tips On How To Make A Passive Muslim Become Active In Solat? / I'm In Love With Letter 'M' Because Of Prophet Muhammad (SAW) / Atheists, Allah is Your Creator. Repent, Bow And Stop Being Like Shaitan

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.