Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,008 members, 7,817,973 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 12:41 AM

How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends (908 Views)

How Do I Deal With A Fellow Woman Who Loves Me Without Offending Her? / How Do I Put Off My Neighbour Wife Without Offending Her ?? / How would you tell your wife the food is salty without offending her? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by gabazin080(m): 11:10am On Jan 02, 2021
I am not an heavy drinker but I walk with guys that drink a lot though not all are heavy drinkers. so I woke up yesterday and decided I will like to quit alcohol.
how can I do it without falling out with my guys because we will always still hang out together.

help me guys
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by Tolexander: 11:11am On Jan 02, 2021
gabazin080:
I am not an heavy drinker but I walk with guys that drink a lot though not all are heavy drinkers. so I woke up yesterday and decided I will like to quit alcohol.
how can I do it without falling out with my guys because we will always still hang out together.

help me guys
it is so obvious that you are not ready to quit alcohol!
If you are ready to quit alcohol, you will maintain your stand among your friends while drinking and opt for water without minding what their reaction is

Apparently the genesis and basis of your friendship with them all is alcohol and nothing else. If not they will respect your decision and take without throwing any jibe at you or ostracizing you.

6 Likes

Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by jansonn(m): 11:14am On Jan 02, 2021
It's difficult oo, they'd eventually realize you're avoiding your usual gathering with them and might get offended!! But if you really want to stop, you'd need to avoid those meetings, just try your best to do it in the least offensive way!! Good luck man!!
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by Nobody: 11:15am On Jan 02, 2021
peer pressure made you drink in the first place and now it's so sad you need people's validation before you can quit again

3 Likes

Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by Nobody: 11:18am On Jan 02, 2021
gabazin080:

help me guys
Dear gabazin080,

It seems you're living your life to please your friends, and you're doing it like a popular slave i know.

Continue pleasing them till your liver burst.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by osamz007: 11:19am On Jan 02, 2021
YOUR LIVER NO SABI PETER AND PAUL
USE YOUR HEAD THIS NEW YEAR BROTHER
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by Nazgul: 11:20am On Jan 02, 2021
You owe no one any explanation. If you choose to quit then do so and make it clear to them (your friends) that you no longer indulge in such.

If they find you lesser of a man by your decision, you should know that they were never really true friends in the first place.

A true friend would respect your decision.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by Oluromantic: 11:21am On Jan 02, 2021
jansonn:
It's difficult oo, they'd eventually realize you're avoiding your usual gathering with them and might get offended!! But if you really want to stop, you'd need to avoid those meetings, just try your best to do it in the least offensive way!! Good luck man!!
This is the only sensible advice I've seen here so far. It's obvious most nairaland youths are inexperienced and are not good counsellors. For a person who has been addicted to something and your friends know you for it, it is only human to think the way you're thinking. It's easy to preach when you've not experienced an addiction before. If you don't believe me, ask smokers.

Those judging you as not serious for considering your friends have not been in such a situation before. What is driving you is what determines how you will handle the matter. Sometimes sudden change doesn't last and sometimes it does. The human nature does not adapt easily to sudden change except you have a strong motivation driving you or you have something else to divert the addiction to.

Nobody preached to you and you did not see any scary horror about drinking. You sat down on your own and thought responsibly that you want to quit...I give you kudos for that. As this guy has stated, avoid their gatherings gradually. Don't ignore them at once, discretion is needed here. But in every gathering you have with them henceforth, let them see your decision against drinking is vehement.

1 Like

Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by martolux(m): 11:21am On Jan 02, 2021
You're in charge of your life.... You need no friends validation to live your life.
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by Righteousness2(m): 11:26am On Jan 02, 2021
gabazin080:

help me guys

Without offending your Friends?
Brother, Do you really understand this life?
Do you know that you came Here alone?
Do you know you will Depart alone?
Do you know you will Give Stewardship of your life to GOD alone?

Wake up man!! Wake up

2 Likes

Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by gabazin080(m): 11:28am On Jan 02, 2021
jansonn:
our gathering is not just about drinking, some are colleagues at work and some are from secondary school days. we have been friends for over 17 years

1 Like

Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by jackyraw09: 11:31am On Jan 02, 2021
I think you should leave the issue of drinking right now and focus on defeating your need/thirst for acceptance/validation. Once that is resolved, you won’t have the need to make threads like this.

Happy new year smiley
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by shilenji(m): 11:32am On Jan 02, 2021
Don't! It's like they are the ones feeding and clothing you. Don't offend them o. It's like you don't want to have sense
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by internationalman(m): 11:36am On Jan 02, 2021
I as a person if I drink I would want to go out with a teetotaller..

If I womanize I'd like to befriend a chaste person.

That's how you maintain a balance...
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by Henrywalker: 11:36am On Jan 02, 2021
Noo! The question should go like this; how can I become better in life without offending my friends?
Op, you don't need your friends permission to grow in life. Try to avoid meeting up with them — it's gonna be hard, but try your best. tongue
If you want to change, you will have to also change what and who you roll with; and that includes your friends.
Those your friends will hardly help you if anything serious happen to you as a result of drinking alcohol.
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by xxxtedyxxx(m): 11:38am On Jan 02, 2021
Simple as ABC..

Find something to keep you busy.
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by Realtord43: 11:40am On Jan 02, 2021
Non of your friend can save you when diabetes and other related alcohol disease set in.

save your life now and stop drinking ALCOHOL now!!
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by 4reala(m): 11:44am On Jan 02, 2021
gabazin080:

help me guys
Guy, any time u are being invited for a drink, always request for malt. By the time u do this 3 or more times, dey will stop inviting you.
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by illicit(m): 1:02pm On Jan 02, 2021
Kill all of them ....
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by Bbass1990(m): 1:22pm On Jan 02, 2021
Like seriously you haven't made up your mind to quit, am sure your friends would offend you when the result comes.
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by thesilentman(m): 1:58pm On Jan 02, 2021
You are not ready to quit,if you are, you won't care if anyone is offended by your decision to quit. Your health and overall well-being or your friends' opinions,which one is more profitable to you?
Every man got their own vice but if you know that something does not favour you,nobody should tell you before you call it quits.
Am a lover of cigar(not cigarettes) yet i only smoke only once in a month-just a feel good thing,not an addiction.
Grow up,man!
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by Nobody: 2:19pm On Jan 02, 2021
smiley My honest advice is to gradually reduce your friendship with them. No matter your willpower if you still go around with them, you'll be back in no time regardless of your resolutions.

Also do not live for anybody's validation this is what is termed "carefree".
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by Stephenmoka4(m): 3:00pm On Jan 02, 2021
Your health or your friends.
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by okey95644: 3:07pm On Jan 02, 2021
YOUR LIVER NO SABI PETER AND PAUL
USE YOUR HEAD THIS NEW YEAR BROTHER
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by ghettochild4u(m): 3:26pm On Jan 02, 2021
Just say No
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by Nobody: 3:27pm On Jan 02, 2021
If you are leaving you life to please your friends,... you can decide not to... but if you make your life decision yourself,.. then other people’s opinions don’t count
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by Deicide: 3:39pm On Jan 02, 2021
Hope those friends would be ready to donate liver or lung when shit hit the fan
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by toscolee(m): 3:45pm On Jan 02, 2021
They will be offended.
Both men and the ladies around me drink.
The men I'm a woman, while the ladies say they can't date a man that doesn't drink.
I drink red wine or palm wine occasionally.
I smoke weed moderately, not like slawomir o.
There comes a time a guy should admit to himself that he's not getting any younger and respect his age and body (health).
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by LadyTianna(f): 3:59pm On Jan 02, 2021
gabazin080:

help me guys
one thing that you must realize is that if you ever develop kidney problems, these friends might not be there to face it with you. If they can't understand that you can't keep drinking with them, then maybe you're better off with new friends.

I know someone in the same shoes as you. But in addition to the alcohol, he also smokes cigarettes and uses hard drugs cos he loves hanging with his friends and doesn't wanna disappoint
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by Nelgenius4me(m): 4:22pm On Jan 02, 2021
Guy,
It's your life, you decide what you want to do with it. If you want to live your life to please friends the choice is still yours.
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by emmyN(m): 4:30pm On Jan 02, 2021
gabazin080:

help me guys

Lol, you are not yet serious. You woke up yesterday and decided you wanted to quit taking alcohol. I guess it's another new year resolution. These things have been known to fail over the time, which is because of their being borne not out of deep seated conviction but the adrenaline rush in face of a new year.

So go back, sit down and redraw your plan. Right now you are more concerned about your friends than you are about yourself.
Re: How Can I Quit Alcohol Without Offending My Friends by NobleDeSage001: 4:33pm On Jan 02, 2021
Someone who does not get so close to a river will never get drowned.

If you don't come out in the rain, you won't get drenched.

Animals that flock together, eat together.

Until you stop living your life to please people, you may never have an independent mind.

Avoid hanging out with them at bars, drinking joints or any place that may likely influence you guys to drink.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Who can eat this? / Please Someone Should Advise Me. / Should I Let Her Go?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.