Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,835 members, 7,810,213 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 12:04 AM

Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity (22376 Views)

2019: EU, US, UK & Saudi Arabia Ask Buhari Not To Contest; APC Considers Kingibe / Stephanie Findlay Reacts To Saraki's Press Conference, Talks About Buhari / "Buhari Not A Man" – Ahmad Lawan (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by Basoenewokoma(m): 8:08pm On Jan 04, 2021
Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, says for the sake of sanity, one must imagine that the regime of the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), does not exist.

He, however, described the new Lagos-Abeokuta-Ibadan standard gauge train, describing it as marvellous and long overdue.

Soyinka said this during a recent interview with Kaftan TV which was monitored by our correspondent.

Speaking onboard the new train, the Nobel Laureate said he would not like to talk about Buhari’s government because he imagined the regime doesn’t exist.

When asked whether the new train was a plus to Buhari’s regime, he said, “I don’t want to talk about Muhammadu Buhari’s administration. I think it is best for my sanity just to avoid that overall question. I can take bits and pieces of Nigeria’s present predicament but I think for one’s sense of balance, one must forget the existence of the Buhari administration.”

The playwright said for years Nigeria had seen the roads turn to a death trap while rail transport had been neglected.

He said on two occasions he had spent over six hours on the road from Lagos to Abeokuta.

Speaking highly of the new train, Soyinka said, “It is a work in progress but it is a very impressive work in progress considering the difficulty of really executing anything in this country… I think we are looking at a virtual transport revolution which is long overdue.”

The Nobel laureate said the rail revival would not only change the people’s mentality but boost commerce.

He recalled how as a young boy he rose on trains but at some point, Nigeria abandoned rail transport.

“I have spent, on the road between Lagos and Abeokuta six hours. A few weeks ago at the launching of my novel in Abeokuta, I left Lagos…. The journey took about seven hours,” Soyinka said.

The playwright said the traffic congestion had deteriorated to the extent that women now give birth in traffic and even name their children after the cars in which they give birth.

He said the new train was marvellous and he was glad to ride in it.

Soyinka added, “I had an engagement in Lagos which I nearly postponed because of the road but for some time I have been saying wait a minute, this thing (train) is supposed to be running and I checked the timetables and I said if I catch the train in Abeokuta I would be in Lagos in an hour and a half, I would be picked up, run around quickly, do my business and here I am.

“I left Abeokuta this morning, I am going back to Abeokuta to eat my Ilafun (yam/cassava flour) and I am going to sleep in my bed this evening. It is marvellous. That is what one has been doing in Europe. Why has it taken so long for that to happen here? It is sad but at the same time, let’s be glad it is happening.”
https://www.google.com/amp/s/punchng.com/talking-about-buhari-not-good-for-my-sanity-soyinka/%3famp=1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uJAvDzG6jk

20 Likes

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by Fahdiga(m): 8:10pm On Jan 04, 2021
You must talk about Buhari by fire by force having imposed the world renowned failure on Nigerians. in fact all this bloodletting going on under the lifeless cow will continue to hunt you till the end of time. expect to see giant Buhari with cow horns in your dream tonight

142 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by kayusely70(m): 8:15pm On Jan 04, 2021
Well...
Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by Maxymilliano(m): 8:16pm On Jan 04, 2021
It is suicidal talking about this hopeless administration. As a matter of fact 95% of Nigerians are tired of talking about Buhari administration because the end result is depression.

113 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by MickzyDonald: 8:20pm On Jan 04, 2021
We move

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by capitalzero: 8:32pm On Jan 04, 2021
Basoenewokoma:

Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, says for the sake of sanity, one must imagine that the regime of the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), does not exist.

He, however, described the new Lagos-Abeokuta-Ibadan standard gauge train, describing it as marvellous and long overdue.

Soyinka said this during a recent interview with Kaftan TV which was monitored by our correspondent.

Speaking onboard the new train, the Nobel Laureate said he would not like to talk about Buhari’s government because he imagined the regime doesn’t exist.

When asked whether the new train was a plus to Buhari’s regime, he said, “I don’t want to talk about Muhammadu Buhari’s administration. I think it is best for my sanity just to avoid that overall question. I can take bits and pieces of Nigeria’s present predicament but I think for one’s sense of balance, one must forget the existence of the Buhari administration.”

READ ALSO: Lagos orders public, private schools to resume Jan 18

The playwright said for years Nigeria had seen the roads turn to a death trap while rail transport had been neglected.

He said on two occasions he had spent over six hours on the road from Lagos to Abeokuta.

Speaking highly of the new train, Soyinka said, “It is a work in progress but it is a very impressive work in progress considering the difficulty of really executing anything in this country… I think we are looking at a virtual transport revolution which is long overdue.”

The Nobel laureate said the rail revival would not only change the people’s mentality but boost commerce.

He recalled how as a young boy he rose on trains but at some point, Nigeria abandoned rail transport.

“I have spent, on the road between Lagos and Abeokuta six hours. A few weeks ago at the launching of my novel in Abeokuta, I left Lagos…. The journey took about seven hours,” Soyinka said.

The playwright said the traffic congestion had deteriorated to the extent that women now give birth in traffic and even name their children after the cars in which they give birth.

He said the new train was marvellous and he was glad to ride in it.

Soyinka added, “I had an engagement in Lagos which I nearly postponed because of the road but for some time I have been saying wait a minute, this thing (train) is supposed to be running and I checked the timetables and I said if I catch the train in Abeokuta I would be in Lagos in an hour and a half, I would be picked up, run around quickly, do my business and here I am.

“I left Abeokuta this morning, I am going back to Abeokuta to eat my Ilafun (yam/cassava flour) and I am going to sleep in my bed this evening. It is marvellous. That is what one has been doing in Europe. Why has it taken so long for that to happen here? It is sad but at the same time, let’s be glad it is happening.”

Summary :
Nigeria is rudderless. Nobody is in control.

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by teebaxy(m): 8:36pm On Jan 04, 2021
Same here o, my amiable prof

12 Likes

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by AceRoot(m): 8:43pm On Jan 04, 2021
Oh come on now, Sage.
You were one of those navigators, who helped lift and hoist Buhari onto the national stage of Saviour & Sainthood.
Why not just walk that plank with honour and dignity ?

42 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by Samunique(m): 8:47pm On Jan 04, 2021

Wow!!!

See finishing !!!

62 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by WhiteIverson: 8:47pm On Jan 04, 2021
Word!
Why will I kill myself over a dead man.

9 Likes

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by Tochi3(m): 8:52pm On Jan 04, 2021
You rode in a train as a young boy. Buhari was not there. Good.

As a grown up man you stopped riding trains at about the time Buhari was also the military head of State. Bad.

And you still came today as a old man in 2015 and supported this same Buhari. Insanity.

In this present moment you are now talking about insanity and having an impressive Train ride back to Abeokuta to eat Ilafun. All this talk in thesame Buhari regime.

That is the reason some sane heads don't take you serious. Double speak. Pathetic.

56 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by omokab: 9:07pm On Jan 04, 2021
He may not like some policy or idea about Buari but at same time he has praise his government indirectly for the train he joined from Lagos to Abeokuta. What has the party of chop make I chop did for 16 years in power when crude oil was been sold 140dollar pb? The train and road revolution will change our economy to prosperity in the long run

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by Pauladex(m): 9:11pm On Jan 04, 2021
Buhari regime is a definition of failure

6 Likes

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by Dayoebe(m): 10:46pm On Jan 04, 2021
Those BMC actually deserves more than 30k stipend.

Its not easy to defend this mal-administration.

Even the name alone can make me lose appetite

46 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by Nobody: 4:21am On Jan 05, 2021
Wow, that's the greatest savage mankind can deliver

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by dalass(f): 4:21am On Jan 05, 2021
Wow shocked

1 Like

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by Nobody: 4:22am On Jan 05, 2021
Wow

1 Like

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by tillaman(m): 4:23am On Jan 05, 2021
grin
Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by RaptObserver: 4:23am On Jan 05, 2021
Well, personally Buhari has disappointed me and if I were his son, I will say it to his face daily. But the body of the article is largely different from the headline. I understand the journalist wants us to read it so he is forgiven.

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by superior1: 4:24am On Jan 05, 2021
Neither for mine. Nigeria is on auto-drive and my inner circle know I don’t like discussing the almost dead buffon parading himself as the country’s manager.

3 Likes

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by blackpanda: 4:25am On Jan 05, 2021
Ok so what are we to make of this U said we shouldn't talk about buhari but at thee same time u are praising him for the new trains.

Bottomline here: soyinka like most wailers just hate buhari for no reason, but they can't deny the infrastructure revolution!

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by blackpanda: 4:26am On Jan 05, 2021
Dayoebe:
Those BMC actually deserves more than 30k stipend.

Its not easy to defend this mal-administration.

Even the name alone can make me lose appetite

Bad stomach
Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by Amoto05(m): 4:26am On Jan 05, 2021
K
Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by elmessiahs(m): 4:26am On Jan 05, 2021
indirectly applauding chibuike Rotimi Amaechi

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by gurunlocker: 4:29am On Jan 05, 2021
It's not good for anyone sanity, that's why I keep wondering how the zombies have been surviving for the last 5 years. cheesy grin grin grin

10 Likes

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by gfon(m): 4:30am On Jan 05, 2021
Prof...not only you Sir.If i metion the man name twice in a day,na badluck throughout that day be that.

5 Likes

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by 175(m): 4:31am On Jan 05, 2021
Wole is confused.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by uniqueboi1(m): 4:32am On Jan 05, 2021
Fahdiga:
You must talk about Buhari by fire by force having imposed the world renowned failure on Nigerians. in fact all this bloodletting going on under the lifeless cow will continue to hunt you till the end of time. expect to see giant Buhari with cow horns in your dream tonight

Hahahhahaha
Free the old man please.

1 Like

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by 2020Experience(m): 4:33am On Jan 05, 2021
Nigeria isn’t a nation that’s why they can never be patriotic enough to fight what’s killing them.

No progress for more than 60 years and every one seems okay with it.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by uniqueboi1(m): 4:34am On Jan 05, 2021
RaptObserver:
Well, personally Buhari has disappointed me and if I were his son, I will say it to his face daily. But the body of the article is largely different from the headline. I understand the journalist wants us to read it so he is forgiven.

And you didn't read it.
Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by Nobody: 4:37am On Jan 05, 2021
Lol
Re: Soyinka: Talking About Buhari Not Good For My Sanity by Pandev(m): 4:39am On Jan 05, 2021
cheesy
Fahdiga:
imposed? so you mean Soyinka put gun at your head to vote Buhari?

4 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Umaru Musa Yar'adua's 70th Posthumous Birthday Is Today / Thugs Beat Punch Correspondent In Ekiti / NAF Commissions New Facilities In Markudi And Benin City (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.