Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,243 members, 7,815,335 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:00 AM

Why Most Beginners Quit Programming - Programming (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Why Most Beginners Quit Programming (24462 Views)

I Just Quit ALX Programme / Should I Quit My Job To Go Into Programming Full-time? / Quit School To Focus On Programming, Hopefully It Will End In Joy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by SeriouslySense(m): 3:30pm On Jan 27, 2021
Just look search for the best books on the Subject of your interest and look for a website that can give you this books for free, then download the best books, compare which books works for you, especially books that explain the concepts, and have lots of explained examples.

If you know the books that works for you, use them, you can get almost any book, on this site i suggest for you.

https://z-lib.org/

You can manage your curriculum, and do lots of practice for the books that you know are good, you have to look at the best books, or any other book that works for you.

You can search on that site i shared, to look at many books, and find the one that makes you learn fastest, use it.

Fidelismaria:

Maybe I find it difficult cause I'm self learning it, do you have any resources you can share with me or direct me toon JavaScript?

1 Like

Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by Excallibur(m): 3:32pm On Jan 27, 2021
PETUK:
must one owns a laptop before thinking of going into coding?
if you have an android device, you can start learning
Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by Excallibur(m): 3:34pm On Jan 27, 2021
runtime:

Raw truth and it is too verbose.
Outside Android Java is just not relevant.
This table you are shaking grin
Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by Nobody: 3:35pm On Jan 27, 2021
SeriouslySense:
haha, i switched to blender and one can use it to make 3d animated movies or 2d animations, just that i am not an artist, but it's as useful as commercial software and its free, one can even do architectural designs on it, and i find it intuitive and more friendly than maya too.

Some Free software's discourages one from even using commercial ones, but some free software's like blender have ways of getting income, that are friendly, and flexible.

Blender is sponsored by donations. It's really hard for them, but sometimes free software get as e be.
Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by Excallibur(m): 3:35pm On Jan 27, 2021
kizwid:

I can skip htlm and css and still be a programmer... what language I can learn.. I don't want to be a Web designer thou
yeah ... Python is good
Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by Asour: 3:37pm On Jan 27, 2021
Jesse6:
Omo I started learning programming
During the lockdown I spent months but I found out that programming isn't just my field

How do you know when something is not your field?

By facing difficulties after 6-9 months (assuming you tried everyday)?

I'm not saying you're wrong but it could be that giving it a little more time you may have broken through.

Tim Sweeney (if you know him) has said that before he made his first $100~ or so, he had programmed for
10s of Thousands of hours.

Cheers.

3 Likes

Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by juniorstar(m): 3:37pm On Jan 27, 2021
was learning java on my own..with the help of one guy always calling himself bucky...hello am bucky and am java tutor today we are going to be learning while loop..I loved that part got it on first attempt. my problem started when it was time to learn how to call up a code from one page to another page. I got stuck. also liked those if statements. if I had a tutor he would have put me tru.

2 Likes

Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by juniorstar(m): 3:40pm On Jan 27, 2021
wanted to learn HTML5 but along the way the tutor would say if you were good in CSS this would have been faster. or should I say my journey in php laravel. it exposed me to visual studios.

1 Like

Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by SeriouslySense(m): 3:41pm On Jan 27, 2021
The creator of blender made that amazing software for free, and his intention, was not based much in profits, he loves sharing, but they have sponsors, like google, the manufacturers of graphic card, i think even Microsoft has joined to support them, because blender is been developed further for designs even with virtual reality.

And its has a huge community, due to its openness, people make money selling addons (complimentary software to boost productivity) sometimes, so also modelers sell their 3d models in online store.

It has a rich niche of interconnected community, of modelers, designers, gamers, architectural, film making.

Aha even creator of Unity game Engine also sponsors them.

SegFault:

Blender is sponsored by donations. It's really hard for them, but sometimes free software get as e be.
Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by Nobody: 3:41pm On Jan 27, 2021
CSTRR:

I don't want to be a web designer, but i am learning HTML and CSS.

They are the foundation.

I believe a good coder should have a decent background in the front-end.
Bro, that's absolutely cringe, it's not true at all, if you don't want to be a web designer learning css and html is a waste of time, they are merely languages that build the structure and feel of web sites they don't even use logic. And by the way front end is an ambiguous word to use, It is used in compiler design too and some other software, If not that you were talking about web design someone who knows stuff about both would be confused.

1 Like

Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by Fidelismaria: 3:42pm On Jan 27, 2021
SeriouslySense:
Just look search for the best books on the Subject of your interest and look for a website that can give you this books for free, then download the best books, compare which books works for you, especially books that explain the concepts, and have lots of explained examples.

If you know the books that works for you, use them, you can get almost any book, on this site i suggest for you.

https://z-lib.org/

You can manage your curriculum, and do lots of practice for the books that you know are good, you have to look at the best books, or any other book that works for you.

You can search on that site i shared, to look at many books, and find the one that makes you learn fastest, use it.

Thanks
Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by SeriouslySense(m): 3:43pm On Jan 27, 2021
You are welcome
Fidelismaria:

Thanks
Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by Nobody: 3:46pm On Jan 27, 2021
SeriouslySense:
The creator of blender made that amazing software for free, and his intention, was not based much in profits, he loves sharing, but they have sponsors, like google, the manufacturers of graphic card, i think even Microsoft has joined to support them, because blender is been developed further for designs even with virtual reality.

And its has a huge community, due to its openness, people make money selling addons (complimentary software to boost productivity) sometimes.

It has a rich niche of interconnected community, of modelers, designers, gamers, architectural, film making.

Aha even creator of Unity game Engine also sponsors them.

True, but (I'm not sure oh it was when I was watching an interview with the founder on YouTube that i saw this comment) there was a time they were lookin for sponsors badly or something. The programming world is interesting but you need the zeal to get through it.
Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by cornelin(m): 3:49pm On Jan 27, 2021
Fidelismaria:

Maybe I find it difficult cause I'm self learning it, do you have any resources you can share with me or direct me toon JavaScript?

Download sololearn app and practice. It's free and teaches you the basics all the way up.
You can also use w3school.com
Happy coding

3 Likes

Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by Starkid3010(m): 3:50pm On Jan 27, 2021
tsdarkside:

i tell you bros....
it would be painful to use years to program something and some people crack it in days.... undecided undecided

thats why i didnt went further.... undecided undecided
lol cos at first, you're not interested in it. You only wanted to learn it for learning sake.
Well, there are still some apps that can't be cracked... So this is just an excuse to me
Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by kpolli(m): 3:50pm On Jan 27, 2021
Programming is discouraging if you only write code. Writing code to another person's design is boring.

But most people quit early because they don't understand the steps they have to take (and why the have to take them) to build an application.

3 Likes

Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by SeriouslySense(m): 3:50pm On Jan 27, 2021
Java is basically static typed, and object oriented, which means if you are calling an instance of a class (object) from another object or from the main Class, then you have to ensure any initialization, in its constructor provides either a null value or a substantial value for any field in that object.

Its very easy, when you do not have to initialize any field in the constructor, but before using such field, you have to give it a value to prevent error generation, which when unhandled, will definitely stop your program from working, and you may not see the error more clearly although there would be an error description which is also helpful

juniorstar:
was learning java on my own..with the help of one guy always calling himself bucky...hello am bucky and am java tutor today we are going to be learning while loop..I loved that part got it on first attempt. my problem started when it was time to learn how to call up a code from one page to another page. I got stuck. also liked those if statements. if I had a tutor he would have put me tru.
Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by SeriouslySense(m): 3:52pm On Jan 27, 2021
cheesy cheesy cheesy that was then O, now blender has been drastically improved and has been modified to focus on 3d, 2D, and video, the game engine has been removed, so which means its more focused and much improvements in its tools, and has attracted sponsors, due to growing usage, and dedicated user community

SegFault:

True, but (I'm not sure oh it was when I was watching an interview with the founder on YouTube that i saw this comment) there was a time they were lookin for sponsors badly or something. The programming world is interesting but you need the zeal to get through it.
Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by parkervero(m): 3:52pm On Jan 27, 2021
runtime:
What i keep telling newbies is this, just pick an area and concentrate solely on it, and dont every rely on one source of learning simple e.g if i want to learn dotnet core i would concentrate solely on c# and downlod as many learning resources on c# and dotnet core mosh hamaedani c# udemy series, joseph alambari c# the definitive refernce series etc.
Withing 6-8 months of pure dedication, boom you already a developer.

c# > java by the way grin.
Don't ever say that again...
Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by Nobody: 3:55pm On Jan 27, 2021
SeriouslySense:
cheesy cheesy cheesy that was then O, now blender has be drastically improved, and has attracted sponsors, due to growing usage, and dedicated user community

I heard it was used in a movie for cgi.

1 Like

Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by parkervero(m): 3:56pm On Jan 27, 2021
runtime:

Raw truth and it is too verbose.
Outside Android Java is just not relevant.

Are you okay?
Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by SeriouslySense(m): 3:57pm On Jan 27, 2021
Yes its been used for movies too, it can do CGI effects too, due to its Node editor, although i hardly use it though, my concern is the computational power required to render manipulated images with the Shading or compositing editors.

But its quite modest if you have a green screen

SegFault:

I heard it was used in a movie for cgi.
Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by Jesse6(m): 3:58pm On Jan 27, 2021
I was begining to have no joy in it that was why
But I later found what suite me
Asour:

How do you know when something is not your field?

By facing difficulties after 6-9 months (assuming you tried everyday)?

I'm not saying you're wrong but it could be that giving it a little more time, you may have broken through.

Tim Sweeney (if you know him) has said that before he made his first $100~ or so, he had programmed for
10s of Thousands of hours.

Cheers.
Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by parkervero(m): 3:58pm On Jan 27, 2021
BigBashiru:

Java developers spend a lot of time trying to fix language constructs and spend a lot of time tieing up lose ends. .net is a much more organized technology stack and allows you to focus on the software you are actually developing
No wonder many great dev migrated to java having tried out c# .net
Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by Stevosty: 3:59pm On Jan 27, 2021
born2begreat:
I am also a victim of this and i think the problem with me that's not included in your write-up is "Distraction". I'm 37 just engaged, more responsibilities even i earn less than 45k monthly. I have learnt HTML, CSS3 using codecademy and freecodecamp, Wordpress, AWS solution architect, Python... I didn't complete learning all these because of distraction from myself or my family. I am the first child of my family, a breadwinner despite earning less i still don't like seeing them suffering. I know the only solution to my PROBLEM of having my full concentration of programming is to get a job as an intern but will be earning monthly even if it is just 20k while all i will be doing is learning and doing something. You can only be better and be improving at what you do everyday. Unlike this menial job i'm doing here from 7am to 5pm and get home everyday very tired. I still have thirst and passion for programming and i pray my problem is solved soon because it's paining me alot. May God help me
You are not in this alone, may God help.

1 Like

Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by tsdarkside(m): 4:00pm On Jan 27, 2021
Fidelismaria:

Lol

Agriculture is more than planting cassava.

its the truth....just stick the seed in the ground and wait....thats all....

kiki.... cheesy cheesy
Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by parkervero(m): 4:01pm On Jan 27, 2021
runtime:

Forget TIOBE index I want your opinion what area apart from Android is Java relevant.
Do you just think a language would maintain it top 3 spot for over 2 decades if its relevance is in a domain?
Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by tsdarkside(m): 4:09pm On Jan 27, 2021
parkervero:

Do you just think a language would maintain it top 3 spot for over 2 decades if its relevance is in a domain?

nope....languages always get improved with more syntaxes....

dont depend on a language will stay the same for that long....

dont forget the hardware aspect....
Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by Asour: 4:13pm On Jan 27, 2021
Jesse6:
I was begining to have no joy in it that was why
But I later found what suite me

Ok. Nice.

1 Like

Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by emmyN(m): 4:13pm On Jan 27, 2021
For those who have been aspiring to learn but always meet with a brick wall, this is for you. Come February 5th, a bootcamp on web and app development would commence, and it's going to be two months of intense session. Check flyer below, the registration link is there, and guess what, it's absolutely FREE! Hurry up, because limited slots are available.

Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by Nobody: 4:18pm On Jan 27, 2021
parkervero:

That wasn't what i asked, Apart from Android development what area is Java relevant.
Don't turn Amala and I don't care about any TIOBE index.
Re: Why Most Beginners Quit Programming by parkervero(m): 4:18pm On Jan 27, 2021
tsdarkside:

nope....languages always get improved with more syntaxes....

dont depend on a language will stay the same for that long....

dont forget the hardware aspect....

Java keeps evolving, I think you know that?

The evolution of Java makes it remain ubiquitous in the industry and relevant. It's a reliable PL. The major reason people don't like it is because of it verbosity and it learning curve is steep.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Sam Altman Visits Nigeria On AI Tour / Celestial Church Of Christ Hymns (cccmyhymns) Now On Android with pictures! / Solution Of Linear Programming Problems Using Simplex Method

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.