Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,817 members, 7,810,138 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 09:30 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (111) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1638960 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Damian457: 5:52am On Apr 10, 2021
EmeritusR:

It all depends on the school you are applying for, some schools may require you to evaluate your result, others just tell you to send them the original copy. So first check on the school.
thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by TWoods(m): 6:29am On Apr 10, 2021
VictorUSA:
My decision! Is that why no one will answer my question?

Nah, your attitude is the problem. Good luck getting an answer.

7 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by TWoods(m): 6:49am On Apr 10, 2021
Victoriaog:
Guys please help me look into this transcript, Please i need your honest review

I apologize ahead of time... but this transcript is hilarious.

Victoriaog:

VO: why did you choose this university?
Me: Several things stood out for me in UALR. Firstly I discovered UALR is actually very high in terms of teaching quality. Additionally the course content of this program at UALR features a unique privilege of either choosing a research option or a professional option under which the research option would be emphasizing on ethis diversity requirement and law and policy requirements and also the professional option which I am most existed about emphasizes on pubic relations and journalism and I would be taking courses like seminar in journalism, public relation cases, news media writing and producing, news media and publishing. Also the school has a student university newspaper (The forum) as well as television and radio station whoose mission is to provide a window for the community to learn and enjoy myriad activities that takes place on the campus and most importantly provides practical learning opportunities for media students to gain experience in broadcast media production and management as this will equip me to become a more effective and trained journalist when I return to Nigeria because this is my root and where I want to make impact. So for me, it was about the right skills and competencies to advance my career when I return to my county

That this is rehearsed and unoriginal is so blatantly obvious.
1. UALR may score highly in teaching quality, but higher than MIT, UCLA, UPENN, PENN State, Yale, Stamford, NYU, Columbia?
2. There is nothing "unique" about UALR allowing you to choose a thesis or non-thesis masters option. That is standard across most grad schools.
3. Nothing special about the TV and radio station owned by UALR. This is commonplace in other schools. PBS/NPR stations (which are cable news channels) are typically run by universities. The Houston version is run by the University of Houston.

Victoriaog:

VO: Why this course/ what will it do for you?
Me: I am taking this course from a problem solving perspective, in my experience working at a media form. I spotted a problem in the media sector of Nigeria i.e news reporting in Nigeria does not show patriotism in the coverage of events in the rural areas. The bias of the reporters is in Favour of urban dwellers who are adjudged to be learned, enlightened and understand the meaning and importance of news. I intend to use this skills and knowledge gained from this course to build a solution around this. Additionally a masters of Art in mass communication will give me a competitive edge upon my return to Nigeria when working in the evolving world of media and communication.

1. The US has serious problems with its own media. How will a masters degree in the US help you fix reporting bias in Nigerian news media?
2. A masters of art in Mass Comm from UALR will not give you a competitive edge in Nigeria... you and I know that.

Victoriaog:

VO: why USA and not Nigeria
Me: what is best about acquiring advance studies in the US is that the qualification i earn is globally recognized and on top of that the education system in the US has been known of its academic excellence. Additionally the Nigeria school curriculum focuses more on the theoretical aspect of learning and does not offer hands on the practical opportunities that gives detailed knowledge on my preferred course.

Your program is communication, not a STEM program. It is unclear how hands on reporting in the US will make you any more effective than reporters here in Nigeria.

Bottomline... you are not ready for the interview. Your responses are far too long (you have 3 minutes or less) and clearly insincere. Any respectable VO will read through you in a few seconds. You need to revise your responses - I suggest just sticking to the truth would be a good start.

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by godguy: 9:04am On Apr 10, 2021
Francangel:
Hi Victoria! Can I contact you, please? I am also going to UALR.

hello,

i am also going to little rock,

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by mbolajide2010: 10:41am On Apr 10, 2021
I got two admissions from the WIU and I have been asked to choose the one I will like to pursue - the two courses are M.Sc Mathematics and M.Sc Applied Statistics and Decision Analytics. I want to know which of the two programs is easier to get GA.

Thank you.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by homodele: 11:42am On Apr 10, 2021
A big congratulations to you. If I may ask, when did you apply to WIU, and when did you receive admission decision? Thank you.
mbolajide2010:
I got two admissions from the WIU and I have been asked to choose the one I will like to pursue - the two courses are M.Sc Mathematics and M.Sc Applied Statistics and Decision Analytics. I want to know which of the two programs is easier to get GA.

Thank you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by mbolajide2010: 12:32pm On Apr 10, 2021
homodele:
A big congratulations to you. If I may ask, when did you apply to WIU, and when did you receive admission decision? Thank you.

I applied since February but completed my application 3 weeks ago. First admission 5 days ago and second one yesterday.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by homodele: 12:41pm On Apr 10, 2021
Wonderful. Congratulations once more.
mbolajide2010:

I applied since February but completed my application 3 weeks ago. First admission 5 days ago and second one yesterday.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by raddyworld: 1:10pm On Apr 10, 2021
NigPatriot:

Whew!! That a bulk of questions.. but let's see what we can answer.

Firstly, you said you made an enquiry to a school and they promised you full scholarship? That's remarkable to the ears but still leaves most of us reading ambivalent. Have you applied to the school, what expectations do they have of you? Are you going for bsc MSc PhD? Which? This will help people in understanding your situation. But If they actually promised you scholarship, then you're fortunate, make sure you "meet up" as they instructed.

1. If you qualify for the scholarship (fully funded) and stipends, then your statement of account is negligible. (Btw "huge amount of money" in your account is not the only prerequisite to getting a USA F1 visa)

2. If it's not fully funded make sure your statement of account presented to the visa officer covers your deficit - let's say with 30% extra. For your traveling cost, budget for ticket, a little shopping, cash at hand. There's no fixed amount for this, it varies for everyone.

3. Aside from bsc do I need siwes? What do you mean by this question? From my understanding Siwes is the industrial attachment engineering students undertake in the second semester of their 4th year - what's your challenge with this? I'll assume that you're asking if SIWES is a requirement before you can be granted visa. That's a huge NO. Because the initial question would be, how would you gain a Bsc degree without Siwes? I've never heard an instance the VO asked anyone of their siwes, except you might be the first.

4. Your question isn't quite clear, but I'll assume once more you mean if after schooling you can get a stay extension and work (hustle). Of course. This is every dreamers dream. Schooling still remains the most legitimate and "easy' means of legalising your stay in America. Just ensure you graduate with a remarkable grade, look out for internship positions, network like your life depends on it; talk to alumni group, your teachers, be nice to your students; I've heard stories of parents of students being taught by GTA sponsoring the stay of the teacher, lastly be good at what you do, be so good they can't ignore you. In developed countries talent is glorified and duly rewarded. - Yes your school can help in taking you full-time. It's called the H-1b visa, where the company files for your stay in the US.

I wish you well.

Thank you sir for ur response. If not for people like u here we may not even get some certain things right.

I now understand the essence of siwes.
I intend to go for my masters which will be two years equavalent to period given if you are going for short period and not like 4yrs. I saw the school will sponsor with 24k. But want to know if I don't have up-to 500k or 1m in mY account during my interview can I still be considered for visa.
And concerning school and intern parole to receive stay I will work on that area .
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by homodele: 2:27pm On Apr 10, 2021
Hello house. Please is there anyone who can recommend to me a very good and affordable GRE study/tutorial center in Lagos?
Thank you very much.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Ellamma1(f): 2:46pm On Apr 10, 2021
Please who recently got admitted into bgsu? I need help with something.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tonero4urch(m): 2:51pm On Apr 10, 2021
mbolajide2010:

Thank you.

How is your profile like? I have not heard from them - I applied for masters in statistics and Decision Analytics since February and finished my application in March.

I am worried because I have other offers and i want to compare my offers with WIU before I know which one to choose.

When do you think assistantship/funding will come to you?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Ajokelawal: 3:08pm On Apr 10, 2021
Malone122:

Hello everyone so some of us are experiencing the same issue of not seeing any dates on our CGI profile, I created a GC where we can rub minds together if dates pop up.
PM me or Heyjessay if you are experiencing this issue so We can add y’all
Best regards

Please add me to the group 08068550844.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by dodoyinsolar202: 3:24pm On Apr 10, 2021
Ellamma1:
Please who recently got admitted into bgsu? I need help with something.
hi. I have a friend there.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by pebes: 3:36pm On Apr 10, 2021
Do you know if graduate assistantship covers Tuition and stipends?
dodoyinsolar202:
hi. I have a friend there.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by kekenation(m): 3:50pm On Apr 10, 2021
Please add me 08030506758
Malone122:

Hello everyone so some of us are experiencing the same issue of not seeing any dates on our CGI profile, I created a GC where we can rub minds together if dates pop up.
PM me or Heyjessay if you are experiencing this issue so We can add y’all
Best regards
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by BabyI24: 3:53pm On Apr 10, 2021
Hello all, please my interview is on Tuesday kindly help me review my proposed transcript.

Proposed Transcript:

VO: why are you going to the USA?
Me: to obtain a masters degree in computer science at Maharishi international university.
VO: why this school?
Me: I choose this school for three reasons, 1. Because of the programming language thought(Java programming) 2. Because of the financial aid I was offered 3. Because of the practical training that is part of the curriculum. The practical training will help me integrate the course knowledge into real world projects.
VO: what will this degree do for you?
Me: The degree will enable me acquire modern knowledge and practical experience. The degree will enable me apply to senior software developer position here in Nigeria, with enough experience, I intend to establish my own startup company here in Nigeria. The degree will add more value to my profile.
VO: what’s your study plan?
Me: the total credit hour for graduation is 44credits hour. 36credit hours for course work, and 8credit hour for curricular practical training. While on the practical training, 4 other course will be done via distance learning
VO: who is sponsoring you?
Me: the initial payment of 5000dollar will be paid by my mother while the rest of the tuition will be coming from a financial aid that is organized through the university.
VO: what does your mother do?
Me: she is a business woman
VO: what kind of business
Me: she is a major supplier of beddings in delta state for over 18years, she is into real estate and she manages my late father’s foreign furniture business.
VO: what do you do?
Me: I work as a fronted developer, I own a registered business, I manage my mum’s real estate business, and am also a real estate agent.
VO: what’s your plan after graduation?
Me: I have career plans and personal plans. For my career plans, I intend to come back home to apply to senior software developer position to enable me gain more experience. with enough experience, I intend to establish my own startup company that will be focused on building software applications for client and also maintaining them. Another thing I intend to do when I return, is to register a non profit organization that will be focused on mentoring and training young girls and women in Nigeria that will love to becomes software developer because here in Nigeria, female software developer are very rear.

Please kindly help me review and correct me where necessary. Thanks

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Choicexx(m): 4:38pm On Apr 10, 2021
BabyI24:
Hello all, please my interview is on Tuesday kindly help me review my proposed transcript.

Proposed Transcript:

Me: to obtain a masters degree in computer science at Maharishi international university.
Me: I choose this school for three reasons, 1. Because of the programming language thought(Java programming) 2. Because of the financial aid I was offered 3. Because of the practical training that is part of the curriculum. The practical training will help me integrate the course knowledge into real world projects.
Me: The degree will enable me acquire modern knowledge and practical experience. The degree will enable me apply to senior software developer position here in Nigeria, with enough experience, I intend to establish my own startup company here in Nigeria. The degree will add more value to my profile.
Me: the total credit hour for graduation is 44credits hour. 36credit hours for course work, and 8credit hour for curricular practical training. While on the practical training, 4 other course will be done via distance learning
Me: the initial payment of 5000dollar will be paid by my mother while the rest of the tuition will be coming from a financial aid that is organized through the university.
Me: she is a major supplier of beddings in delta state for over 18years, she is into real estate and she manages my late father’s foreign furniture business.
Me: I work as a fronted developer, I own a registered business, I manage my mum’s real estate business, and am also a real estate agent.
Me: I have career plans and personal plans. For my career plans, I intend to come back home to apply to senior software developer position to enable me gain more experience. with enough experience, I intend to establish my own startup company that will be focused on building software applications for client and also maintaining them. Another thing I intend to do when I return, is to register a non profit organization that will be focused on mentoring and training young girls and women in Nigeria that will love to becomes software developer because here in Nigeria, female software developer are very rear.

Hmm if not for nairaland, I have never heard of certain schools. (Check your school well) Best of luck anyway

Kindly go through previous transcript as I do in my free time.
New here though,but here is my small observation. Seniors here will give more details
but your reason for choosing the school? Not convincing
How many schools did you apply to?
Your answer for what will this degree do for you? Not convincing

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by FutureSenator: 4:47pm On Apr 10, 2021
raddyworld:
Good afternoon great people,
Honestly this thread has being a channel by which resourceful people impact Nigerians who are looking up to them for for such information.
I sincerely appreciate those who have contributed from the first page. More grease to ur elbow in Jesus name.
I Make an enquiry...
4. After schooling and working as assistant teacher in the school can school extend my visa and also give a working permit?

Please my questions may not be perfectly presented but take me as I am to do me a favour with answers as u have assisted many with facts on this thread

Thanks all for ur immeasurable contributions.
raddyworld:

Thank you sir for ur response. If not for people like u here we may not even get some certain things right.
4. After schooling and working as assistant teacher in the school can school extend my visa and also give a working permit?

Hello Sir,

I do not know if you are a politician in real life, but you sound very political. It isn't bad to be a bit political, but please be careful that you are not sending the wrong vibes. Just ask your questions honestly, and people will reply honestly. It is absolutely unnecessary to add this "If not for people like u here we may not even get some certain things right."

Anyway, all your questions have been perfectly answered. Just to expand on question 4:

MS Students in the US have opportunities to engage in CPT and OPT. CPT, aka curricular training, is only done before you graduate and includes any internship you signed up for. You can work a maximum of 20hrs every week during regular semesters, while you can work upto 40hrs during the summer semester.

Now to your question.

1. After your graduate, you can apply for OPT, aka optional training. This allows you to work for up-to 12months after graduation (1 year). If the cumulative sum of CPT you did during study is more than 12 months, the excess may be deducted from the number if months you have for OPT.

2. If your program of study is STEM, you can then apply for OPT extension, which gives you additional 24months (2 years) to work after graduation. Making it cumulatively 3years of worktime.

NOTE: CPTs, OPTs are all subject to approval from your school, and must be in line of your course of study. Some schools have further regulations.

So for non-STEM courses, you can work for additional 1year after graduation, and for STEM courses, additional 3years after graduation. If you are lucky, or you work hard, or both, you will find an employer to sponsor you for H-1B Visa (non-immigrant worker) either during your OPT or just as you are concluding the OPT. Then, it is welcome to USA wink

Ref: https://redbus2us.com/f1-visa-student-working-options-cpt-opt/#:~:text=CPT%20is%20usually%20part%20of,by%20students%20before%20they%20graduate.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by FutureSenator: 4:50pm On Apr 10, 2021
TWoods:

Bottomline... you are not ready for the interview. Your responses are far too long (you have 3 minutes or less) and clearly insincere. Any respectable VO will read through you in a few seconds. You need to revise your responses - I suggest just sticking to the truth would be a good start.

Good and objective review

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by FutureSenator: 5:10pm On Apr 10, 2021
Transcript Review

BabyI24:

Proposed Transcript:

<The degree will enable me acquire modern knowledge and practical experience(You can just state what the knowledge and experience is..don't be afraid to blow good grammar biko. Something like "This degree will enable me to learn xx, yy and zz taught in xx and yy courses. Also the program offers co-ops with world leading tech firms that will give highly practical experience in...) . The degree will enable me apply to (work as) a senior software developer(when I return to) position here in Nigeria. with enough experience, I intend to establish my own startup company here in Nigeria (after working for a while). The degree will add more value to my profile

<I have a financial aid of xx from the university while the rest of the tuition of 5000dollar will be will be paid by my mother.> More emphasis on the aid and less on mum. Unless the aid is insignificant.

Please project more confidence. When you are asked your plans; your response should be, After graduation, I plan to return to Nigeria, to work as xx for few years to build upon the US internship experience. Then after some years, establish my startup ..... something like that. Your transcript is brief and to the point. And that's a good one.

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by mbolajide2010: 5:17pm On Apr 10, 2021
homodele:
Wonderful. Congratulations once more.

Thank you bro.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by mbolajide2010: 5:21pm On Apr 10, 2021
tonero4urch:

How is your profile like? I have not heard from them - I applied for masters in statistics and Decision Analytics since February and finished my application in March.

I am worried because I have other offers and i want to compare my offers with WIU before I know which one to choose.

When do you think assistantship/funding will come to you?

My background is mathematics and got couple of experience in IT. I think GA varies by department but they all seem to require separate application for GA and does not come with admission offer.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by BabyI24: 5:41pm On Apr 10, 2021
FutureSenator:
Transcript Review

Please project more confidence. When you are asked your plans; your response should be, After graduation, I plan to return to Nigeria, to work as xx for few years to build upon the US internship experience. Then after some years, establish my startup ..... something like that. Your transcript is brief and to the point. And that's a good one.
thank you � correction noted

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tonero4urch(m): 5:47pm On Apr 10, 2021
mbolajide2010:

My background is mathematics and got couple of experience in IT. I think GA varies by department but they all seem to require separate application for GA and does not come with admission offer.

My background is statistics with 4.44/5 CGPA and Masters with 3.03/4 CGPA. I don't know what the problem is. I have applied for graduate assistantship though. Hoping for the best!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by mbolajide2010: 6:30pm On Apr 10, 2021
tonero4urch:

My background is statistics with 4.44/5 CGPA and Masters with 3.03/4 CGPA. I don't know what the problem is. I have applied for graduate assistantship though. Hoping for the best!

Have they asked you for a proof of fund, if not you can write them to make an enquiry of your application status.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Picricchem: 6:41pm On Apr 10, 2021
TWoods:

That this is rehearsed and unoriginal is so blatantly obvious.
1. UALR may score highly in teaching quality, but higher than MIT, UCLA, UPENN, PENN State, Yale, Stamford, NYU, Columbia?
2. There is nothing "unique" about UALR allowing you to choose a thesis or non-thesis masters option. That is standard across most grad schools.
3. Nothing special about the TV and radio station owned by UALR. This is commonplace in other schools. PBS/NPR stations (which are cable news channels) are typically run by universities. The Houston version is run by the University of Houston.

1. The US has serious problems with its own media. How will a masters degree in the US help you fix reporting bias in Nigerian news media?
2. A masters of art in Mass Comm from UALR will not give you a competitive edge in Nigeria... you and I know that.

Your program is communication, not a STEM program. It is unclear how hands on reporting in the US will make you any more effective than reporters here in Nigeria.

Dear TWoods,

Thanks so much for this honest review. I will appreciate your review of my transcript too. I hope the OP will learn from this critical analysis and readjust the transcript accordingly.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by NigPatriot(m): 7:03pm On Apr 10, 2021
VictorUSA:
My decision! Is that why no one will answer my question?

Please learn to be humble in speech. No one here is obliged to answer your question. If no one chooses to answer, you have no entitlement to take it personal.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nicerazor(m): 7:12pm On Apr 10, 2021
Travel itinerary for fall 2021.
Is this date okay?

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by nelmc: 7:13pm On Apr 10, 2021
Hi guys,

I’d be going to Western Illinois University for a fully-funded direct-PhD in Civil Engineering.
Please I have a sister down south in Arizona. She went for studies and later converted her status to Legal Permanent Residency as she got married. . Would this be a problem for me during my interview?

Thank you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Choncoo: 7:56pm On Apr 10, 2021
Nicerazor:
Travel itinerary for fall 2021.
Is this date okay?

Have you really made specific plans?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Jukwasi: 7:59pm On Apr 10, 2021
mbolajide2010:

Thank you.
Wow! Congrats. I got admission for Applied statistics too yesterday. Let's connect. Choose anyone, they are almost the same. Choose wisely.

(1) (2) (3) ... (108) (109) (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 95
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.