Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,217 members, 7,818,734 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:28 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (113) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1646357 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by pompeiimagnus: 9:23am On Apr 11, 2021
BabyI24:

VO: why are you going to the USA?
Me: to obtain a masters degree in computer science at Maharishi international university.

VO: who is sponsoring you?
Me: the initial payment of 5000dollar will be paid by my mother while the rest of the tuition will be coming from a financial aid that is organized through the university.

This school has only 255 undergraduate students and that's already a red flag. Why not pick a school with at least 10k undergraduate enrollment? Also, you said you would be getting financial aid from the University. Is that a private loan? Hope you know that international students are not eligible for financial aid and federal loans from the U.S. government.

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by durosegun(m): 9:40am On Apr 11, 2021
l
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by homodele: 10:50am On Apr 11, 2021
Anyone going to Youngstown State University? Or anyone knows about the School?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Azeebabe: 11:02am On Apr 11, 2021
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Ellamma1(f): 11:02am On Apr 11, 2021
Please must I be admitted first before I can apply for assistantship or can I do it now while waiting for a decision?
Jukwasi:
Thanks. I applied on March 5th last month.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by degxyflexy: 12:08pm On Apr 11, 2021
Please is there anyone that got admission into masters program at West Virginia University? Or someone studying there at the moment.
homodele:
A big congratulations to you. If I may ask, when did you apply to WIU, and when did you receive admission decision? Thank you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Dmoney1992(m): 12:37pm On Apr 11, 2021
Yes, michigan Tech
shams040:
Please is there anyone with admission to Kent State University or Michigan Tech?

Please DM.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Jukwasi: 12:43pm On Apr 11, 2021
Ellamma1:
Please must I be admitted first before I can apply for assistantship or can I do it now while waiting for a decision?
No, you mustn't be admitted. Go on and apply since it will still carry the same student ID number if you are given admission. They have to work with same number. You also need to remind them that you applied for an assistantship may be after you have gotten admitted. The earlier the application the more you are open to consideration.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by kastgeraldino: 1:04pm On Apr 11, 2021
It is not just about the number of undergraduates bros. Many elite liberal arts colleges like Bates, Colby, Vassar and Amherst don't have up to 4K undergrads, but they are as elite as top national universities including Ivy League schools. They are among the best in the US. I'm not saying her school is ideal, but your benchmark of 10K undergrads to classify good schools is completely wrong.

pompeiimagnus:

This school has only 255 undergraduate students and that's already a red flag. Why not pick a school with at least 10k undergraduate enrollment? Also, you said you would be getting financial aid from the University. Is that a private loan? Hope you know that international students are not eligible for financial aid and federal loans from the U.S. government.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Ellamma1(f): 1:10pm On Apr 11, 2021
Okay thanks but how do I get the wiu Id please
Jukwasi:
No, you mustn't be admitted. Go on and apply since it will still carry the same student ID number if you are given admission. They have to work with same number. You also need to remind them that you applied for an assistantship may be after you have gotten admitted. The earlier the application the more you are open to consideration.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Jukwasi: 1:26pm On Apr 11, 2021
Ellamma1:
Okay thanks but how do I get the wiu Id please
You said you have applied right? Did they send you a mail that your application is under review after you applied? If yes, then your student ID number comes with that mail. If no, you have to wait for that mail.

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Ellamma1(f): 1:37pm On Apr 11, 2021
Thank you so much
Jukwasi:
You said you have applied right? Did they send you a mail that your application is under review after you applied? If yes, then your student ID number comes with that mail. If no, you have to wait for that mail.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by bamiDee1(m): 1:55pm On Apr 11, 2021
Top of the day to everyone.

I'd like to know the criteria(s) responsible for winning/getting an assistantship TA/GA. For those that received assistantship of any kind, did you apply by filling some different application form like a job employment and then later "interviewed" before getting the offer or you were just selected and given the assistantship based on the documents you submitted and resume?

Thanks in anticipation
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Jukwasi: 2:48pm On Apr 11, 2021
Ellamma1:
Thank you so much
Your welcome. If it is long you applied and they haven't started reviewing your application, do call them. This will hasten the process because they have lots of applicants from march 1st. All the best dear.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by NigPatriot(m): 4:32pm On Apr 11, 2021
kastgeraldino:
It is not just about the number of undergraduates bros. Many elite liberal arts colleges like Bates, Colby, Vassar and Amherst don't have up to 4K undergrads, but they are as elite as top national universities including Ivy League schools. They are among the best in the US. I'm not saying her school is ideal, but your benchmark of 10K undergrads to classify good schools is completely wrong.

You're spot on with this. I can't agree with you any further on this.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by pompeiimagnus: 4:43pm On Apr 11, 2021
kastgeraldino:

For a STEM MS program like computer science, I would gladly pick a lower ranked public university with over 10k enrollment than an expensive private liberal arts college. This university in question is nowhere near the quality of these schools you even mentioned.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by NigPatriot(m): 4:57pm On Apr 11, 2021
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Moshkom(m): 6:46pm On Apr 11, 2021
Good day guys! Any GEORGIA SOUTHERN UNI MSIT student here? New or continuous. Please, I just need to ask some questions. Thanks!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by alima123: 7:06pm On Apr 11, 2021
Anyone here that knows any cheap hotels in Obalende that is close to the Lagos island consular officer.
Thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by durosegun(m): 7:46pm On Apr 11, 2021
Azeebabe:

Congratulations on your scholarship. Please, I will like to ask a few questions. What department are you? Are you going for MSc or PhD? Thanks.
I am going for M.Sc, Mechanical Engineering
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by durosegun(m): 7:48pm On Apr 11, 2021
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by kastgeraldino: 8:25pm On Apr 11, 2021
Yeah. Most expensive private liberal arts colleges don't even have graduate programs likes MSc, PhD, etc. Just a few do. These elite schools are mainly focused on undergraduate education, and then you go get your graduate education—if you want—elsewhere.

pompeiimagnus:

For a STEM MS program like computer science, I would gladly pick a lower ranked public university with over 10k enrollment than an expensive private liberal arts college. This university in question is nowhere near the quality of these schools you even mentioned.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Azeebabe: 10:16pm On Apr 11, 2021
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by BabyI24: 10:22pm On Apr 11, 2021
pompeiimagnus:

It’s a private loan. If the school was a red flag, it won’t be registered on sevis

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by pompeiimagnus: 2:01am On Apr 12, 2021
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by mamaforsure: 2:26am On Apr 12, 2021
please guy which usa school accept very low cgpa for admission?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by mamaforsure: 2:44am On Apr 12, 2021
please guy which usa school accept very low cgpa for admission like a 2.5/5 cgpa?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by TWoods(m): 2:57am On Apr 12, 2021
BabyI24:

It’s a private loan. If the school was a red flag, it won’t be registered on sevis

You should make sure you understand how this loan will work. As a foreign student, you are not eligible for a student loan. You would need a cosigner.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by TWoods(m): 3:01am On Apr 12, 2021
BabyI24:

So how do I go about my answers about why I chose the school? Because the answer I gave are my sincere reason why I choose the school. Kindly reply thanks

Well you do need to rethink your answers... you cannot have chosen that school because of Java programming... you can get that anywhere. Also every IT college department requires practical training as part of the curriculum. None of these answers are unique to this school so the VO is likely to be wondering why you didn't apply to more established regular colleges.

Did you apply to other schools? How many? Did any of them offer you admission? Are you picking this school because it was the cheapest of your options?

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by pompeiimagnus: 7:08am On Apr 12, 2021

(1) (2) (3) ... (110) (111) (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

Viewing this topic: Mivy(f) and 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 80
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.