Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:37 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (599) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1642940 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (596) (597) (598) (599) (600) (601) (602) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Femotech123: 1:03am On Nov 25, 2021
Ayusma:
Got approved back in September, but haven't posted my transcript here.

Transcript for June 16th Lagos Embassy(Denied):

ME: Good morning.
VO: Good morning, pass me your documents. (Passed him my documents)
VO: Why are you going to the US?
ME: I am going for my bachelor's degree in Computer science at DePaul university
VO: Why DePaul university?
ME: Depaul university offers a concentration in software development which I am interested in, and they have a great course curriculum
VO: Who will be paying for this huge chunk of money(Can’t really remember how he used that word)
ME: My Uncle
VO: what does he do?
ME: He is a pharmacist in the US
VO: Where in the US?
ME: Washington
VO: Okay, so what are the courses offered at DePaul that made you so interested
ME: (I wasn’t ready for this question, I gave a wrong answer and stammered a bit. I started pouring out the study plan answer I have crammed) I am required to complete 192 credit hour course ………….
Vo: You are ineligible for this visa at this time, you may reapply at any time

When I got outside of the embassy, I started to evaluate the interview to understand what went wrong. That’s when I thought about what he said about MY COA. I was like why will he call 36k per year a huge chunk of money. And that’s when I realized I should have told him I have a scholarship, cause my total COA without scholarship is 59k.

I got home paid another visa fee, I filled my DS_160 thrice, cause I was trying to find the best way to express myself in the “Have you been denied a Visa, Explain” question. The first was one I filled and submitted was bad, I blamed the VO in that one and the tone was rude, I was still angry that time lol. The second time I edited the explanation to sound and look better, but the third time I think I was able to find the right words to explain better. It was along the lines of “I was denied under section 214B ….", after all those official stuff, I began. “I THINK MY APPLICATION WAS DENIED FOR - 1. NOT HAVING TIES TO MY COUNTRY, BUT I DO HAVE ALL OF MY FAMILY MEMBERS IN MY COUNTRY(PARENTS AND THREE SIBLINGS) 2. THE CONSULAR OFFICER THOUGHT I WILL NOT BE ABLE TO AFFORD THE COST OF ATTENDANCE. I THINK HE WAS MISTAKEN, THINKING I WILL HAVE TO PAY 59K PER YEAR WHEREAS I WILL HAVE TO PAY ONLY 36K PER YEAR AFTER SCHOLARSHIP DEDUCTION, AND MY SPONSOR HAS MORE THAN THAT AMOUNT AVAILABLE IN HIS ACCOUNT. ”

Transcript for September 16th Abuja Embassy(Approved):

Fast forward to Abuja appointment day. Three officers were attending to people, I have heard of one Korean guy at the Abuja embassy from here that he is kinda …. So I had it In my mind that I will try to avoid him. To cut it short, I sha hustle my way to one Lady window, she approved the visa of the girl before me, also going for a bachelors degree

Me: Good morning
VO: Good morning, pass me your documents
VO: I can see you are going to DePaul University for your bachelor's degree
ME: Yes, that’s right.
VO: So what’s your plan after your study?
ME: (In my mind I started thanking God that I prepared for this question not until I started stammering when speaking) I will return to Nigeria to work as a software engineer for one of the tech companies in Nigeria, I plan to create my own tech start-up also but I know I will need to have some experience before doing that, so I am planning to work with a tech company for some time to get the experience needed( I was stammering really bad when I was saying this, it get to a point I said “Oh my God, why am I so nervous” out loud.
VO: Which of the tech companies do you plan to work with?
ME: Kuda
VO: Ku? Ku what? What do they do?
ME: Kuda is an online banking system, that simplifies the banking system In Nigeria. I love what they do and I wish to work for them
VO: Who is your sponsor
(Last time I said my uncle will be sponsoring me, but I changed my answer this time)
ME: My dad, my uncle will also ...... (cuts me off)
VO: What does your dad do?
ME: My dad is an Electrical Engineer, he is an independent contractor, he works for universities, hotels, and some other companies
VO: And your uncle?
(I re-packaged my answer for this also)
ME: My uncle owns a pharmacy business(I stopped there, I didn't want to mention that he is in the US this time)

(She types for some seconds, and I saw her stretching her hand towards the white paper. I was like what? I was expecting a denial with all the stammering that happened. But she said I will be approving your visa, at this moment I no hear shishi again. I collected the paper and left the building.)

All these happened in a minute and some seconds. She didn’t even reference anything about my last interview.

I am still so happy and it feels so surreal, and my little piece of advice is that try to back it up with prayers also. I fasted and prayed about this and it worked out. Because when I started stammering, in my mind I was like I have f*cked this one up again. But I still got my approval, maybe if I had prayed for my Lagos interview it would have been a success regardless.
Wow wow I’m happy for you brother. God that do your own will surely do my. Amen. My interview is in some few days while I’m also going for bachelor.

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by mojolajesu(m): 1:10am On Nov 25, 2021
@fairheart:

Please I need mock ooo. If there is any watsapp group or any experienced personnel willing to help.

My interview is in few days. Please I need mock����

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Femotech123: 1:46am On Nov 25, 2021
Please guys can I say two people are sponsoring me at the interview. But my original sponsor is my brother which I’m using his SOA can I say my dad is also supporting me ? Because I don’t get any scholarship ooo
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Femotech123: 1:50am On Nov 25, 2021
Sakasitay:

Just in any case you haven’t already done the interview, you may want to tell the VO about the curriculum, the courses that drew you to applying to that specific university or program, and specific research areas where you will gain from during the course.

You may also streamline your uncle's occupation to real estate (telling them he is in charge of condo properties for commercial purposes in Port Harcourt for example).

Then you may want to omit the working in the LGA part. Since you have in mind to establish an NGO, just go with the NGO plan after your studies. It sounds more convincing and gives the impression that you want to impact your local community.
Thank you so much sir/ma. My interview is fast approaching thanks

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Dunzg: 1:56am On Nov 25, 2021
hardeyswaggz:

Please were you able to reset password cuz I have almost same issue. Someone also advised that I click on forget password and reset a new one but I also read someone here who couldn't login again.

Yes I was able to and it is back to normal now
Use your existing email and click on forgot password…then follow the next steps
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Favourme84: 4:26am On Nov 25, 2021
[quote author=dydx2020 post=107935187]I got an offer to Study MBA for Spring 2022 . School resume January 9 but am yet to get my I-20 , pay SEVIS fee , fill DS-160 form and apply for Visa surge.

I hope it's not too late.
Hopefully, every documentation will be ready next week .

Please, advice.

What is the name of the school please
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by TWoods(m): 5:26am On Nov 25, 2021
Ajibola092:
Hello Everyone
I got an information from reliable friend about Diplomatic visa that is run by an agent. I spoke with the agent about the visa they do for various countries like US, UK, Canada and other European countries.
Please I need advice about this kind of visa if it's true or it's just a scam..
The agent requested for 100k to process UK which will be out in 3wks and the visa will last for 6 months.

That your friend is "reliable" indeed. I doubt you have an idea what a diplomatic visa means.

5 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by OlawumiCecilia: 6:07am On Nov 25, 2021
My dependent ds160 barcode does not tally with the barcode on the appointment confirmation. Please guide me. Our interview is fast approaching!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by dydx2020(m): 6:32am On Nov 25, 2021
[quote author=dydx2020 post=107935187]I got an offer to Study MBA for Spring 2022 . School resume January 9 but am yet to get my I-20 , pay SEVIS fee , fill DS-160 form and apply for Visa surge.

I hope it's not too late.
Hopefully, every documentation will be ready next week .

Please, advice.
/quote]

Response please.,.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Shalom152: 6:43am On Nov 25, 2021
Good morning house...please when is Abuja surge start date, because I have not be given a surge date and I have not heard anyone from Abuja having a surge date. I already have an appointment but its 2 months after my program start date and I need a new date...please someone should kindly help me
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Svelte98(f): 6:53am On Nov 25, 2021
Sakasitay:
Does anyone plan to attend Drexel in the spring?

Is there anyone already enrolled at Drexel?

I would love to know the funding opportunities for students in the Faculty of Computing. I got into the MS Information Systems program.

Any form of related info would be highly appreciated. Thanks.
Hi there, me too. Woke up to their admission decision. MS Information Systems as well.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ObodoNaija(f): 7:27am On Nov 25, 2021
Helkayklassic:
If you are fortunate not to meet the Korean guy whose first question is “have you travelled out of Nigeria before” followed by “who is paying your deficit” then you have a higher chance of being asked a question that you can chip that in.

Questions like “Tell me about your study plan”, “why this school” and so on. Also be ready to answer the question “since you have started your program online, why don’t you want to continue it online”

Best wishes.

I pray not to meet someone like the Korean VO again. My first experience with him is why I reapplied. I believe this will go well. Thanks for your suggestions

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ObodoNaija(f): 7:30am On Nov 25, 2021
OlawumiCecilia:
My dependent ds160 barcode does not tally with the barcode on the appointment confirmation. Please guide me. Our interview is fast approaching!

Log in to the CGI site and update the new barcode and print out another appointment confirmation.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ObodoNaija(f): 7:38am On Nov 25, 2021
Valolisa147:
I Hope you know i was recently delayed this week. So i can apply for interview at same Abuja consulate for surge or should i change to lagos?

Change to Lagos

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by OlawumiCecilia: 7:39am On Nov 25, 2021
ObodoNaija:

Log in to the CGI site and update the new barcode and print out another appointment confirmation.

It's for my dependent pls, where do I update the ds160 barcode?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by belovez(m): 9:19am On Nov 25, 2021
horlahsunbo225:
Visa approved today
Lagos embassy

Congrats
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by hardeyswaggz: 9:24am On Nov 25, 2021
Dunzg:

Yes I was able to and it is back to normal now
Use your existing email and click on forgot password…then follow the next steps

My case is that my EA has been approved but "there are currently no dates available" is what i can still see there even after resetting my password ooo. Been calling since last week they just kept replying that I should keep checking
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by itoski(m): 9:35am On Nov 25, 2021
Visa denied at the Abuja Embassy.
November 23rd.
It seems the two white male VO always ask about traveling history.
VO: White American (not the Asian Dude)
VO:Have you traveled out of Nigeria before?
VO:Why did you choose this program(MBA)?
VO:Who is paying for your trip?
VO: Take this blue paper for the road.

Observation: It seems once they ask that first question about traveling history, they have already made up their mind about the outcome of the interview.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by itoski(m): 9:37am On Nov 25, 2021
ObodoNaija:

I pray not to meet someone like the Korean VO again. My first experience with him is why I reapplied. I believe this will go well. Thanks for your suggestions

If I were you I will choose Lagos because the other white male VO asked me if I have traveled as well.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ObaOfEsan: 9:42am On Nov 25, 2021
Anyone going to Illinois institute of technology?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ObaOfEsan: 9:42am On Nov 25, 2021
itoski:

If I were you I will choose Lagos because the other white male VO asked me if I have traveled as well.

If you have a traveling history, will your visa be denied? Because I have a traveling history.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ObaOfEsan: 9:43am On Nov 25, 2021
itoski:
Visa denied at the Abuja Embassy.
November 23rd.
It seems the two white male VO always ask about traveling history.
VO: White American (not the Asian Dude)
VO:Have you traveled out of Nigeria before?
VO:Why did you choose this program(MBA)?
VO:Who is paying for your trip?
VO: Take this blue paper for the road.

Observation: It seems once they ask that first question about traveling history, they have already made up their mind about the outcome of the interview.

If you have a traveling history, will your visa be denied? Because I have a traveling history.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by itoski(m): 9:46am On Nov 25, 2021
ObaOfEsan:

American visa is 50-50 game of chance bro.
Only God knows the outcome.
Don't give up!

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ObaOfEsan: 9:49am On Nov 25, 2021
itoski:

American visa is 50-50 game of chance bro.
Only God knows the outcome.
Don't give up!

You're right. Thanks!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Kioshi: 9:54am On Nov 25, 2021
This is so sad to hear, wahala o
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Hazardd(m): 9:57am On Nov 25, 2021
Can I use my hnd of 2.5 GPA and enter in any USA university .. can the admission be considered if I didn't reach there cutoff mark
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Omini247: 10:11am On Nov 25, 2021
Hazardd:
Can I use my hnd of 2.5 GPA and enter in any USA university .. can the admission be considered if I didn't reach there cutoff mark
better result you dey talk do your WES first nah
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tasho105(m): 10:13am On Nov 25, 2021
Abi...
This is how to show them you are a bonafide student.
Pls don't send blank mail o

Gent2nice:

You add a brief email joor. Don't make them feel like English is hard for the applicant

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ObaOfEsan: 10:22am On Nov 25, 2021
Hazardd:

I actually got 3 MSC admission in US using HND. I didn't use Wes for 2, but 1 requested for Wes. Though I had a 3.47 CGPA.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Hazardd(m): 10:27am On Nov 25, 2021
ObaOfEsan:

I actually got 3 MSC admission in US using HND. I didn't use Wes for 2, but 1 requested for Wes. Though I had a 3.47 CGPA.
okay bro.. do you use only your HND or you include ND.. I heard 2.59 in my HND.. don't no if I should try if I can be considered for admission

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Omini247: 10:28am On Nov 25, 2021
for law graduates you can search for schools offering full funded LLM program on llmguide.com ...
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ObaOfEsan: 10:33am On Nov 25, 2021
Hazardd:
okay bro.. do you use only your HND or you include ND.. I heard 2.59 in my HND.. don't no if I should try if I can be considered for admission

I used both. Had a CGPA of over 3.0 in both. You should try. U can get as well bro

2 Likes 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (596) (597) (598) (599) (600) (601) (602) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 56
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.