Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,443 members, 7,816,021 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:40 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (925) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1643936 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (922) (923) (924) (925) (926) (927) (928) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by phemorhino(m): 8:58pm On May 20, 2022
Makindezak:

Pls is there a whatsapp group you can add me to for notification of available dates in Lagos 08157102141
No.
But i am certain there are groups like that created from this forum

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Maxidooo1990: 9:50pm On May 20, 2022
Teensmentor:
For those asking for my transcript, here it is. Before I go on, I would like to state that I am the student whose spouse is already in the US on an f1 visa (Ph.D.)

VISA APPROVED
Interview Day: May, 2022. (This week)
Course: Ph.D. in Computer Engineering
School: an R1 school in the US
Funding: 100% fee waiver and half TA (about 13,000 USD)
Deficit: about 12,000 USD

Also note: I initially applied for an f2 visa in october 2021 after my spouse left (as we got married legally after his interview before he left) so when I got an offer for my Ph.D., I filled out a new DS160 form for an f1 visa instead. This was advised by the customer service representative I called. So long story short, I used my f2 slot for my f1 visa.

After my thumbprint and document check, I walked to the VO window.

VO: Good morning, please pass me your document.
I pass the document and they scan it.
VO: So why are you going for a Ph.D. in Computer engineering, that must be wow.
Me: I am going for a Ph.D. at the University of Bleep because I want to advance my career and it is the right time for me. I recently finished my Masters's degree in Data Science from Bleep University in the UK and I learned soso and so. That has prepared me for research in Machine Learning (ML) and I want to go deeper.

Additionally, while researching the schools, I came across Prof. Bleep work on mental health; using ML to predict depression from mobile phone data and it caught my attention specifically because a close family member suffered from mental health challenge and left home in 2018 unaware of her present environment (AKA she went missing). With my research, I want to be able to use ML to detect patterns in patients' data or data such as smartphone data for early detection of mental health challenges and other medical diseases and to connect patients to healthcare quickly before their ailment gets worse.

(At the point where I mentioned a family member suffering from depression, she left what she was typing and was looking straight into my eyes. she was listening attentively like I said something that touched her. )

Additionally, I have funding from the school that waives my tuition.

At this point, they cut in and ask.

VO: who is paying for your fees?
Me: I have funding that waives 100% of my tuition and covers a part of my living expenses. (cuts in and say you have a Teaching Assistantship looking at my DS160 I guess from the screen)

I continue: Yes TA. I will also be covering the other part of the funding from my personal savings.

VO: How did you come about the savings?
Me: I worked at Bleep during my master's and was able to save up some money during that time.

VO: oh so you had a scholarship for your masters and saved up some funds? That's impressive.
Me: yes

VO: are you married?
ME: yes

Vo: what happens to your family?
Me: Oh, my spouse is currently doing his Ph.D. in the same school at the Bleep department on f1 visa.

VO: do you have any kids?
Me: not yet.

VO: I can see you have a j1 visa before, what was it for?
Me: Yes, I participated in Bleep exchange program sponsored by the US government at University of Bleep in Bleep year.

VO: But you have a 2 years residency clause

(two years of residency means I am meant to be in Nigeria for at least 2 years after the exchange program before applying for an H1 visa or permanent residency visa and some others. I only researched about it after I left the interview. I knew I had that 2 years stuff but from my knowledge, it didn't affect f1 visa plus I had done 2 years in Nigeria cumulatively)

At this point, I was dumbfounded. was confused because I never thought this would be an issue. VO goes on to ask me where I did my master's and when I came back. responded that it was in the UK and I got back early last year.

VO: That is not up to 2 years then. Tell me again, when did you come back from the US, and when did you go for your masters and return.
Me: Gives precise dates of when I came back.

VO: but you've been in Nigeria since then right? and you were in Nigeria after your exchange program before your masters?

Me: Yes.

Vo took a pen and wrote all the travel details down. Did some calculations and told me they would get back to me. went inside with these details. at this point, I was already speaking in tongues cos by my calculation, I stayed about 13 months after my exchange program before going for my master's and have spent about 15 months in Nigeria since my master's.

VO comes back shortly still looking at some documents, and types some things on their computer. Oh, I forgot to add that they were typing all through my interview except when I mentioned my family member's health challenge. Then I noticed Vo picking up a white paper and says.

VO: Your visa has been approved, you will need this paper for so so and so.

At this point, I was overjoyed. Was smiling from inside my mask lol.

Me: would that be all?
VO: yes, congratulations again and wish you a safe trip.

Me: thank you. Walks out of the interview room and took a deep breath of relief.

SOME TIPS THAT MY EXPERIENCE TAUGHT ME
1. Be honest. Don't hide information and lie about things and think they won't figure it out.

2. Take your time to fill out your DS160 form. Again don't lie here. They know all these things. If you have been denied before also state it and give reasons. I have never been denied a visa but I didn't fill in my j1 status on my DS160 form as there was no provision for that but they somehow knew cos they have the details in their system.

3. If you have a gap say employment or study gap, be truthful about it and explain why. Try to give a logical and convincing explanation of why. Don't just say I have been looking for work and didn't find it. lol.
I haven't been in full-time employment since I returned however, I have been taking some courses to prepare for my Ph.D. and also published a book, and got married within that 15 months. Additionally, I had taken up some contract jobs for some well known organisations both in Nigeria and outside the country within this time. Those are the explanations I gave for being unemployed.

4. Don't falsify documents or lie about your status of something. They will definitely find out by asking you an unexpected question and since you haven't planned how to respond to back up the lie, you will just be stammering lol.

5. Arrive early. I arrived an hour before my interview and from all the screenings straight to the interview, I spent less than an hour. So, before my interview time, I was already done with the interview.

6. For those who are married to a spouse in the US, don't hide this information. Just say it as it is. It would most likely not affect you if they are there legally except of course yáll have ulterior motives and they will still find out anyways.

sorry for the long story. Lol. I am a writer so don't blame me. *covers face*

Beautiful!!!! Congratulations dear.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by opamilerinayo: 10:34pm On May 20, 2022
Congratulations sis
Teensmentor:
For those asking for my transcript, here it is. Before I go on, I would like to state that I am the student whose spouse is already in the US on an f1 visa (Ph.D.)

VISA APPROVED
Interview Day: May, 2022. (This week)
Course: Ph.D. in Computer Engineering
School: an R1 school in the US
Funding: 100% fee waiver and half TA (about 13,000 USD)
Deficit: about 12,000 USD

Also note: I initially applied for an f2 visa in october 2021 after my spouse left (as we got married legally after his interview before he left) so when I got an offer for my Ph.D., I filled out a new DS160 form for an f1 visa instead. This was advised by the customer service representative I called. So long story short, I used my f2 slot for my f1 visa.

After my thumbprint and document check, I walked to the VO window.

VO: Good morning, please pass me your document.
I pass the document and they scan it.
VO: So why are you going for a Ph.D. in Computer engineering, that must be wow.
Me: I am going for a Ph.D. at the University of Bleep because I want to advance my career and it is the right time for me. I recently finished my Masters's degree in Data Science from Bleep University in the UK and I learned soso and so. That has prepared me for research in Machine Learning (ML) and I want to go deeper.

Additionally, while researching the schools, I came across Prof. Bleep work on mental health; using ML to predict depression from mobile phone data and it caught my attention specifically because a close family member suffered from mental health challenge and left home in 2018 unaware of her present environment (AKA she went missing). With my research, I want to be able to use ML to detect patterns in patients' data or data such as smartphone data for early detection of mental health challenges and other medical diseases and to connect patients to healthcare quickly before their ailment gets worse.

(At the point where I mentioned a family member suffering from depression, she left what she was typing and was looking straight into my eyes. she was listening attentively like I said something that touched her. )

Additionally, I have funding from the school that waives my tuition.

At this point, they cut in and ask.

VO: who is paying for your fees?
Me: I have funding that waives 100% of my tuition and covers a part of my living expenses. (cuts in and say you have a Teaching Assistantship looking at my DS160 I guess from the screen)

I continue: Yes TA. I will also be covering the other part of the funding from my personal savings.

VO: How did you come about the savings?
Me: I worked at Bleep during my master's and was able to save up some money during that time.

VO: oh so you had a scholarship for your masters and saved up some funds? That's impressive.
Me: yes

VO: are you married?
ME: yes

Vo: what happens to your family?
Me: Oh, my spouse is currently doing his Ph.D. in the same school at the Bleep department on f1 visa.

VO: do you have any kids?
Me: not yet.

VO: I can see you have a j1 visa before, what was it for?
Me: Yes, I participated in Bleep exchange program sponsored by the US government at University of Bleep in Bleep year.

VO: But you have a 2 years residency clause

(two years of residency means I am meant to be in Nigeria for at least 2 years after the exchange program before applying for an H1 visa or permanent residency visa and some others. I only researched about it after I left the interview. I knew I had that 2 years stuff but from my knowledge, it didn't affect f1 visa plus I had done 2 years in Nigeria cumulatively)

At this point, I was dumbfounded. was confused because I never thought this would be an issue. VO goes on to ask me where I did my master's and when I came back. responded that it was in the UK and I got back early last year.

VO: That is not up to 2 years then. Tell me again, when did you come back from the US, and when did you go for your masters and return.
Me: Gives precise dates of when I came back.

VO: but you've been in Nigeria since then right? and you were in Nigeria after your exchange program before your masters?

Me: Yes.

Vo took a pen and wrote all the travel details down. Did some calculations and told me they would get back to me. went inside with these details. at this point, I was already speaking in tongues cos by my calculation, I stayed about 13 months after my exchange program before going for my master's and have spent about 15 months in Nigeria since my master's.

VO comes back shortly still looking at some documents, and types some things on their computer. Oh, I forgot to add that they were typing all through my interview except when I mentioned my family member's health challenge. Then I noticed Vo picking up a white paper and says.

VO: Your visa has been approved, you will need this paper for so so and so.

At this point, I was overjoyed. Was smiling from inside my mask lol.

Me: would that be all?
VO: yes, congratulations again and wish you a safe trip.

Me: thank you. Walks out of the interview room and took a deep breath of relief.

SOME TIPS THAT MY EXPERIENCE TAUGHT ME
1. Be honest. Don't hide information and lie about things and think they won't figure it out.

2. Take your time to fill out your DS160 form. Again don't lie here. They know all these things. If you have been denied before also state it and give reasons. I have never been denied a visa but I didn't fill in my j1 status on my DS160 form as there was no provision for that but they somehow knew cos they have the details in their system.

3. If you have a gap say employment or study gap, be truthful about it and explain why. Try to give a logical and convincing explanation of why. Don't just say I have been looking for work and didn't find it. lol.
I haven't been in full-time employment since I returned however, I have been taking some courses to prepare for my Ph.D. and also published a book, and got married within that 15 months. Additionally, I had taken up some contract jobs for some well known organisations both in Nigeria and outside the country within this time. Those are the explanations I gave for being unemployed.

4. Don't falsify documents or lie about your status of something. They will definitely find out by asking you an unexpected question and since you haven't planned how to respond to back up the lie, you will just be stammering lol.

5. Arrive early. I arrived an hour before my interview and from all the screenings straight to the interview, I spent less than an hour. So, before my interview time, I was already done with the interview.

6. For those who are married to a spouse in the US, don't hide this information. Just say it as it is. It would most likely not affect you if they are there legally except of course yáll have ulterior motives and they will still find out anyways.

sorry for the long story. Lol. I am a writer so don't blame me. *covers face*

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Raymars: 11:30pm On May 20, 2022
Kindly add me up 07037372988
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Teensmentor: 11:52pm On May 20, 2022
Yes definitely. That's what was stated in the DS160 form if I remember

omooye22:
To be clear, you are not required to disclose anyone who is not an immediate relative. The US government is not interested in your Aunt or Uncle. They want to know about immediate relatives, such as your parents, your kids, and your siblings. I agree that you answer truthfully always.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by UmmZayd: 3:36am On May 21, 2022
Afeez6:

Please I have a question, can I use statements of account I generated by myself through online bank app?

Yes you can
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tasho105(m): 5:47am On May 21, 2022
Hello my people,
Pls help...
We were looking for interview date in Lagos after paying the visa fee.
Initially it was showing 23/24 dates and later started showing 'there are no current appointments.
Another ds160 was fIlled to change to Abuja, it is still showing 'there are no current appointment dates'

Please what could be the issue here and what should I do?

Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by beejhay69: 6:49am On May 21, 2022
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by tasho105(m): 7:05am On May 21, 2022
Thanks for the quick response Bro. Jah bless.
But vis a was denied Dec 2021, still less than 6 months.
Hope there won't be any isue with the application if I choose regular.
beejhay69:
Select Regular when filling.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Rector202: 7:54am On May 21, 2022
Good morning everyone,

Please I have some questions. I was denied an F1 visa this month. And I intend to re-apply. But each time dates are out, it never displays on my CGI platform. Please find attached.

Please why does this happen?
And what do I do?
Also, when am I most likely able to get a date when released?

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Makindezak: 7:59am On May 21, 2022
Hello ppl, please what is the maximum amount of times I can edit/retrieve a ds-160 form to make changes…and will doing that more than twice have effect on my visa interview?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Wendywilson: 8:56am On May 21, 2022
Pls to fill in my DS-160 for graduate program, is it okay to use 'intern' as my role in an organisation as my present job?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Tshobo: 8:57am On May 21, 2022
Pls who can add me to Lagos WhatsApp group
I need updates
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by beejhay69: 9:30am On May 21, 2022
tasho105:
Thanks for the quick response Bro. Jah bless..
No issues.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by PecAbby: 9:35am On May 21, 2022
moreplay:
Good morning, Congratulations and best of luck on your interview. Please I now have the same problem as you did with the EA, please can you tell me how you got a new date. I I'm supposed to resume for fall 2022 but my current date it Apr 2023, the Emergency Appointment option is not available anymore.

I joined an Abuja WhatsApp group for dates checking....and then I got a date.
Keep checking for dates or join a group

Here's a link for Abuja checking dates
https:///Hs8fdC01fBB9RhQ1Ee9Her

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by willieguy: 9:45am On May 21, 2022
Please house i need help with someone that can assist me with my i20 payment over there and will sort here. Thanks

Please I have a question, can I use statements of account I generated by myself through online bank app?[/quote]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Zigii: 10:24am On May 21, 2022
Hello guys!

I’m 20 and got married in January this year and will be going to the US for my bachelors degree on a full ride scholarship at one of the T10 schools. I already submitted my DS160 and ticked the married option when asked. Would my being married affect my visa interview in any way?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Jay5050: 10:35am On May 21, 2022
Greetings to you all.

I submitted some wrongly filled ds160 and later submitted a corrected on..... my questions are; will the consulate still have the wrong ds160 in their database?...Will it be an issue for me on the day of interview, contradicting the corrected ds160?... Can the wrongly filled ds160 be cancelled or deleted before the day of interview?

Thank you all and GOD bless �
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Beeke01: 10:55am On May 21, 2022
Hello everyone... please am new here.
And please I need help with interview questions.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by 1stGenAmerican(f): 11:01am On May 21, 2022
Beeke01:
Hello everyone... please am new here.
And please I need help with interview questions.

Most important: the answers to your interview questions have to match whats on your application.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Afeez6: 11:23am On May 21, 2022
UmmZayd:

Yes you can

Okay thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Tantamount20: 11:54am On May 21, 2022
Please can anyone help me with basic inforrmation and clarity on how to process visitors visa to USA on my own...

Assistance on this will be appreciated...
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by BigboysZ(m): 1:04pm On May 21, 2022
I-20 or SEVIS?

willieguy:
Please house i need help with someone that can assist me with my i20 payment over there and will sort here. Thanks

Please I have a question, can I use statements of account I generated by myself through online bank app?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by BigboysZ(m): 1:08pm On May 21, 2022
Sadly, you can't delete it and they have your information in their database.

I can't give a specific advice because you have submitted a wrong information before and now you want to correct it. Doing that will show inconsistency and it's a red flag.

I would suggest you leave it if it's something you can defend, otherwise, I really don't know what to tell you.

Let's see what others have to say.

Jay5050:
Greetings to you all.

I submitted some wrongly filled ds160 and later submitted a corrected on..... my questions are; will the consulate still have the wrong ds160 in their database?...Will it be an issue for me on the day of interview, contradicting the corrected ds160?... Can the wrongly filled ds160 be cancelled or deleted before the day of interview?

Thank you all and GOD bless �

(1) (2) (3) ... (922) (923) (924) (925) (926) (927) (928) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.