Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,339 members, 7,815,677 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 04:25 PM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (946) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1642771 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (943) (944) (945) (946) (947) (948) (949) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 2:37pm On May 30, 2022
Hi, please was anyone issued the yellow slip and asked to drop of their passport and 1-20 after their interview because it wasn’t up to 120 days to their program start date. How long did it take between when you dropped off your passport and when you were able to retrieve it?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 2:46pm On May 30, 2022
Zeeefold:
Transcript
1st Attempt
Abuja 14-03-2022
COA: $71,850
Funding: $30,000
Deficit: 41,850

VO: You are going for an LL.M at the University of Illinois Urbana Champaign
ME: That's correct

VO: What is your concentration?
ME: Regulation, Sustainability and Compliance Law

VO: Where do you work?
ME: I work at ***** as a Company Secretary. We offer compliance and Legal services to different client companies.

VO: What are you going to do upon your return?
ME: I am going to continue at my present place of work and thereafter apply for better opportunities in any of the big four accounting firms in Nigeria. I would also like to open my own compliance and legal firm in the nearest future.

VO: Who is your sponsor?
ME: My uncle ***** he has been my guardian since i was 3. He owns an electrical cable and wire manufacturing company that has been in existence for the past 44 years and has over 50 staffs in his employment. He also owns a LPG distribution company.

VO: Makes a move to give me the white paper. Your start date is August 1st?
ME: Yes, but my school has notified me of an introductory course commencing in July.

VO: But your start date is August 1st.
ME: Yes

VO: I cannot issue your visa now as it is more than 120 days to your start date. (Gives me the yellow slip) Bring this along with your passport and I-20 any date from 1st of April. You don't have to come in person, you can send it through DHL.
ME: Alright, Thank You.

Thanks to God for his kindness and grace
All these happened in less than 2 minutes.

Tips
1. Fill your DS160 yourself, be as detailed as possible
2. Get your story straight, if your story doesn't sound believable to you, you won't be able to convince the VO.
3. Watch you-tube videos from ARGO VISA, this really helped a lot.
4. Lastly, PRAY.

Hi please have you dropped off your passport with DHL ?, how long did it take to get your passport back?

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Doubuzofficial: 2:49pm On May 30, 2022
TOLULPP:

Hi please have you dropped off your passport with DHL ?, how long did it take to get your passport back?

Aunty did you share your transcript?

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 2:53pm On May 30, 2022
Doubuzofficial:

Aunty did you share your transcript?

no i didnt share here
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Doubuzofficial: 3:27pm On May 30, 2022
TOLULPP:

no i didnt share here

Why?

You read people’s transcript that helped prepare your own interview.

So why didn’t you share yours?

You were even approved!

Oya Oya Oya share

6 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Doubuzofficial: 3:48pm On May 30, 2022
EkeneDChukwu:

Great!.. what state are you looking at doing your visa interview?

Abuja
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Moshkom(m): 3:48pm On May 30, 2022
Doubuzofficial:
TRANSCRIPT PLEASE

Help criticize rigorously!

COA: $32,565.00
No Funding
Undergraduate Major: Transport Management [B. Tech]

Good Afternoon

Pass your Documents [ i-20 and Passport]

*Vo: where are you going to?*

I’m going for an MBA degree in the University of Bleep which is at so so so where I will major in business administration and management in general.

*Why the USA? *

One has to respect the fact that universities in the United States are at the fore front of most universities on the globe with their degree which is highly reputable and the quality of education they give which is top notch and they also give out support facilities to students in terms of assistantship and scholarship for both immigrant and non-immigrants.
These are the reasons I’m looking forward to studying in the USA?

*Vo: How’d you know about the school and why the school*

I got to know about bleep university through my former deputy director as an undergraduate and I went to do my research.
I chose bleep university because it has been accredited by Aacsb in 2015.

*Vo: Who is paying for your deficit/ who is your sponsor? *

My mama is my sponsor, she’s a fabric distributor in Lagos island and our stores are at Balogun and idumota markets respectively.

She’s a mother of 3 and I happen to be her eldest son, we also have landed and rented properties which I handle for the family.

vO: What do you do presently?

I’m a member of staff of bleeep company where I work as a procurement officer
[Do I need to go on and explain what I do]?

*Vo: what will this course do for you? *

This course would help me grow professional, it’ll widen the range of my career path while improving my leadership skill.

It’ll also give me the pre-requisite knowledge and idea needed in managing my company when I’m back in the country.

*Why should I approve your visa? *

Your approving my visa means I will be a step ahead in my academic career and my degree would be tenable for a high position in my company upon my arrival.

Congrats.

Can somebody please enlighten me on what to look into when it comes to *study Plan and Thesis ??

Please I’m open to critics.. kindly help scrutinize this.

@moshkom

@haywhy

Thank you guys.

Kindly PM now (03:50pm) lemme share you an on-going Google Meet session for Mock interview, because I personally don’t believe in ‘on-paper’ transcript.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Stevenssen(m): 3:56pm On May 30, 2022
Ijchichi5190:

Which data?data of kids they have. I hear you
lying about how many kids a brother has can lead to inconsistencies in your application.
And yes, they can easily get that data if they want to verify it.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Doubuzofficial: 4:35pm On May 30, 2022
Moshkom:

Kindly PM now (03:50pm) lemme share you an on-going Google Meet session for Mock interview, because I personally don’t believe in ‘on-paper’ transcript.

Hello baba, I actually tried sending you a Dm on here but the subject box won’t let me type so I followed you on Twitter with Doubuz23

Sorry about my not reaching you as you said 3:50pm

I had to round up from that office.

Kindly check your Twitter baba
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Moshkom(m): 4:42pm On May 30, 2022
Doubuzofficial:

Hello baba, I actually tried sending you a Dm on here but the subject box won’t let me type so I followed you on Twitter with Doubuz23

Sorry about my not reaching you as you said 3:50pm

I had to round up from that office.

Kindly check your Twitter baba

Replied.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 4:48pm On May 30, 2022
Pls can someone give me names of hotels close to the Abuja embassy? And the prices

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Viv23456(f): 4:49pm On May 30, 2022
Good evening, I would like to join a group too to monitor the dates.
ikeolafarm:
You should be able to apply for EA from June 22

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Viv23456(f): 4:55pm On May 30, 2022
I would love to join the group pls
Lollla:
Can someone please add me to the Lagos WhatsApp group for latest information on appointment date.

Thank you

This is my number +234 806 428 8302

Or post the link to the WhatsApp group.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Fescoblack(m): 5:00pm On May 30, 2022
Please bosses in the house, I need your urgent direction. May 11 2022 my visa was delayed of which on may 18 I had to pay for another visa fee, I chose Abuja this time around and informed my school to help deffer my admission to fall. But I haven't been able to pick a date. 'no appointment date' is what I have been getting . Please what can I do?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by UmmZayd: 5:05pm On May 30, 2022
Edraokereke555:
Hi
Good evening everyone, I’m Edra and I just joined in here.
I was informed that this is the best forum for legit information on my dream travel to the United States to study and I was also informed that there are lots of great and selfless personalities here on this forum which has really triggered me to join.
Please great minds I have this question; I plan to do my Masters in nursing in the United States next year and I have a bachelors degree in biochemistry with a CGPA of 2.8. Please are there any recommended schools with tuition fee not more than $25,000 - $30,000 with either full or partial scholarship/funding and how do I go about the entire process.
Thank you all for your anticipated response.

Johns Hopkins University school of Nursing has this option (From STEM-Nursing). I don't know if they have funding for it. Also search for more school of Nursing. You may see some that charge lesser. For JHU, it's $50k/yr. You can start by searching for school of Nursing in reach state.

Best of luck

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Viv23456(f): 5:05pm On May 30, 2022
I would love to join the group pls.
ikeolafarm:
You should be able to apply for EA from June 22

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by UmmZayd: 5:07pm On May 30, 2022
Afeez6:

Please guys I need your advice on how to defend multiple sponsors during the interview.

Why do you have multiple sponsors??
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by OLUGHEE: 6:43pm On May 30, 2022
chibertha:
Congratulations
someone should please help with the whatsapp group for abuja. I have appointment for 15th June
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by OLUGHEE: 6:45pm On May 30, 2022
Can you please help with the whatsapp group. I have appointment for 15th

UmmZayd:

Lol I woke up to 8 visa approvals today alone. I'm extremely happy!!!!
Congratulations!!!!! So happy!!!
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Viv23456(f): 7:10pm On May 30, 2022
Good evening, I sent you a mail. Kindly respond. I would need your help pls.
covcon:
Hello Everyone, this is my first post. I have gleaned from the posts and experience here, so I decided to highlight some points that helped me.

For those who intend to apply for EA ahead of the 60 days when the rule clearly states 60 days is rather risky. Why would you want to risk that "golden ticket" by flouting the rules?

With regards to appointment booking, when I searched for appointment dates last month (April 2022) after filling out my DS-160, the earliest was April 2023. Being uninformed as I was at the time, I kept checking back and moving it (even as little as 1 week), I didn't know there was a limit to rescheduling until I got a message that if I changed my date 1ce more I would have to pay a new fee. I wasn't sure what that meant, so I stayed put, by this time I had moved up to Nov 22, so even when I saw September dates, I didn't bother rescheduling as that was still not early enough for my August start date. I forgot to mention that I selected Lagos, as that's where I live. I was tempted by the many Abuja dates that were opening up, but thank God I chose not to budge as I had giving myself a window till end of June to activate any contingencies. Well miraculously Lagos dates opened up last week, and I got a date for last Tuesday and picked up my passport yesterday. I can only describe the experience as miraculous.
Summary: Check for appointments regularly (but within the 3 times a day limit), join groups that monitor for openings, I was prompted by someone who was in one of these groups when dates became available.

With regards to preparing for the interview, I read a number of transcripts here that helped, but the most helpful was from a post that recommended watching ArgoVisa videos on YouTube. They have a lot of good free material and also options for paid services. For people who have had a refusal or complex situations, if you can afford it, I would recommend you schedule an appointment with them.

I saw someone who asked if you can go to another country to apply, well that's also risky (as I also gleaned from ex-consular officers). That was one of my contingencies. There are challenges with that, it would be more difficult to establish home ties and also your passport might stand out from the passports they would be used to seeing, thus increasing the scrutiny on you. If eventually you are unable to get an earlier date through any other means, then that may be sufficient justification to apply as a third country national. I advise you do additional research to be prepared.

When asked questions like why this school, why the US, why this course etc, I learnt that it's an opportunity to tell your story. Be an active interviewee and not passive, i.e. anticipate what the VO would like to know with that question, and provide a FULL answer that helps them relate to you as a person and not just some random applicant, in other words succinct responses scaled down from what you wrote in your SOP. This is what i did during my interview.

Travel history I have realized is also important, not impossible to get your visa approved without it, but it definitely gives you a leg up. If you don't have any travel history, then you have to look for other areas to highlight and take away the focus from it. It's better explained why you haven't travelled rather than just responding no to the question if raised.

Something I previously didn't consider important was my appearance, so 2 days before my interview, I went to the barber's for a haircut and a shave. I also wore a clean shirt with trousers, (no need to be overdressed), focus should be on neat rather than flashy. I have almost 15 years of work experience so I attempted to look the part.

If you have a "thick" accent, it's important to practice speaking clearly, use simpler words to express yourself. The person ahead of me had a hard time being understood by the VO, which I suspect contributed to the undesired outcome.

Despite my preparation, I was bombarded with contrary thoughts (high stakes) and so I reminded myself that the previous week, I had an appointment for Nov 2022, and then less than a week later I was about to be interviewed, and God who did that for me was definitely letting me know everything else was covered.

Thanks to those who have been sharing helpful tips. Many apologies for the long post

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Moshkom(m): 7:40pm On May 30, 2022
I envy SPRING 2023 and FALL 2023 prospective aspirants.

Like, there’s no reason you should not get the applications right.

Just the past few weeks on Visa interviews, transcripts and mock sessions are enough materials to excel in your preparation.

Keep Keeping On Champs!!

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Adedapo65: 7:44pm On May 30, 2022
hollayemi11:
Same here 09063457025
Please I need to be added to the Abuja whatsapp group. 07016987028
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by aduz: 7:52pm On May 30, 2022
Hello my people

I got a visa appointment for April 2023
Please share tips on how I can get an earlier date as my program start August 2022

Thanks in anticipation
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Fescoblack(m): 8:08pm On May 30, 2022
Abeg make una follow me talk, I no see date for Abuja close to two weeks now that I have paid my visa fee but I have been denied in the last 6months though but I have never requested for emergency date before.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by brymorla(m): 8:08pm On May 30, 2022
God really came through for you...congrat man
please what man should we avoid o biko
BunmiBie:

May, 2022
First attempt
F1& F2(wife and son)
Undergraduate: mechanical engineering
Work experience: 7 years as automobile engineer
Going for: masters in engineering
Funding-8500 (out of state Tuition waiver)
Deficit:44, 000k
Sponsor: Self
School: Texas tech university
Interview location: Abuja
Window 8

God used my baby for me as the guard gave nursing mothers chance to be interviewed first when he saw my wife breastfeeding him. So we were among the first set called in. I was the first to be interviewed by the white lady.
Please, go early and try to be interviewed first if possible. Our slot is 8:00am

After all the biometrics

VO: How old is your baby
Me: 14 months
VO: where do you work
Me: xyz auto garage ltd
VO: your company is at university of Ibadan? (she must have seen that on my ds160) I noticed she was checking my ds160 and I was actually very detailed when filling it. Please, fill your ds 160 form properly.

Me: Yes, in university of Ibadan
VO: nods head
VO: what are your job duties
Me: I am in charge of servicing of motor vehicle engines, ordering of vehicle parts from manufacturers and.... She cuts in

VO: what will this masters degree do for you
Me: (this was where I knew I goofed at first as everything I rehearsed flew away maybe because I was nervous). I will come back to Nigeria to establish my engineering consulting firm and take a better role at my place of work.
VO: Is it a thesis course
Me: No, it's a professional course for practicing engineers
VO: who will fund this deficit
Me: me, I already have savings that covers the two years from my real estate business. (she was still looking at my ds160 I guess. Because I added the real estate business under my job duties on the form). She cuts in but I can't remember what she said here.

She nodded and typed for long and like a magic... She kept our passports and gave us the almighty white paper. No document was checked even though I went with everything including my property documents.
F2 was not asked a single question after all the preparations.lol

Hint.. Avoid the...man at all cost. We were on the look out for him and
I prayed and I knew grace spoke for us.
Please if you believe in God fast and pray too, it worth it. Prepare like your life depends on it.
We took a step of faith by purchasing our travel bags before the interview day. I thank God for everything and everyone he used for us on this journey.

Thanks to
Moshkom, I was surprised to see him at our hotel to prep us. God bless you.
Thanks to Mahmoud, praise, Emillion..our mock sessions were great.
Thanks Mr Samuel, Mrs Deborah and every other persons that helped us
The appreciation is not complete without saying a big thank you to Nairaland USA student thread, we read chapter 15 & 16.
It was naija to Yankee thread that spurred this dream. Thanks to mackynaija
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nozino: 8:12pm On May 30, 2022
TOLULPP:

no i didnt share here

All this selfish people.

Small issue now, you’ve ran here but contribute to help others, mba.

4 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Dreamsss: 8:31pm On May 30, 2022
Guys please, I know USA is not Nigeria, but is there no chance at all that I can be admitted into masters programs with a 2.6 gpa, that set 3.0 or 2.7 as their requirement? I really want to study something I enjoy and would build a career in, so I wish to get in. My 2.6 undergrad CGPA is completely as a result of the Nigerian system, as I was getting E and Fs for courses with content as stupid as "define mood' and name ways to commit suicide, but I can't explain that to an Oyinbo school... please how do I go about this? I'm prepping for the GRE, but I hear that cannot even help the case, if a required gpa has been stated. Please what do I do?

I wish to get into the Ms.Cardiovascular Technology or Audiology or Exercise Physiology or Occupational Therapy...or even Public Health...something that could put me in a hospital setting..I need help
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Tinafusty: 8:59pm On May 30, 2022
Fescoblack:
Abeg make una follow me talk, I no see date for Abuja close to two weeks now that I have paid my visa fee but I have been denied in the last 6months though but I have never requested for emergency date before.
If u have not used the emergency before,u should be able to use it now,
But is the emergency request column showing on your dashboard?

(1) (2) (3) ... (943) (944) (945) (946) (947) (948) (949) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.