Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,929 members, 7,835,104 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 04:25 AM

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 - Travel (944) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 (1661262 Views)

General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17 / General UK Visa Enquiries - Part 4 / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 15 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (941) (942) (943) (944) (945) (946) (947) ... (1004) (Go Down)

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Alexanderfrost: 6:09am On May 29, 2022
Hey!

Chin up!

This is what I suggest you do.

I am sure you have been reading transcripts on this forum. Please, detail and catalog your interview with the Visa Officer. Post it here and let it be critiqued. Then, you need to be properly prepared for your next interview.

Be ready to put in the work and you'll be fine.

All the very best!

Jesuslovepeace:
Hi everyone please I need help for you guys �I apply for US student visa and I went for the visa this year January.the school that I apply for was Phoenix east aviation Florida,the officer who ask me some questions was a lady in Abuja.so she ask me all the questions which I have been studying I answer,them she ask me if I have travel before I said no and she said sorry will can not give you this visa.so what should I do guys?the school said I should go back and I have book another appointment day which is January.i need you guys help
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Alexanderfrost: 6:21am On May 29, 2022
Hi Jummie14,

Congratulations and Welcome to Western!!!

Jummie14:
School: Western Illinois University, MS QE
Funding:4K
Deficit: 18k
Embassy: AbujA, window 8

VO: Your application looks good
Me: Nodding, yes it does

I have approved you, take this and
enjoy your stay.
VO: Bye bye (in a very friendly tune)

Before the interview, I was praying I do not want the most talked about K.guy. Well when it was my turn I was signaled to and went. Twas after the interview someone said wow you interviewed with the K.guy. I was like was that him?���, seriously �
My interview was stressless, God showed up big time.
Thank you all.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Alexanderfrost: 6:26am On May 29, 2022
Hi Akinoj044,

You can check the portal 3 times a day, I suppose. if you surpass that, you'll be banned for 72 hours.

Laws, Rules and Orders are meant to be followed. You are coming to a country that doesn't joke with any of these 3.

Kindly inculcate this as early as possible. Please, wait till it is 60 days before filing for expedite. Meanwhile, if you see a closer date, you can reschedule.

All the best bro!

Akinoj044:
Hello house,
Please I need help also. I recently gained admission into a Seminary at Minnesota, USA with a full tuition scholarship while I only have to pay about 6.6k usd for rent and all and I'm to resume by fall 2022, September.
However I have not gotten any reasonable date as I have April 2023 as my date currently and I'm only hoping to file in for expedited interview within the 60days to my program start date of 14th September, 2022.

I have tried to reschedule about 3 times (I couldn't get a reasonable date either) and I logged out each time. Does it have any implication I must be aware of?

Is there any penalty really if I file in for expedited interview before the 60days ultimatum since there are issues with the process itself? I mean can I file in for expedited interview ahead? Reason is because there are protocols as an Anglican priest and i want to beat the time in a way.

I anticipate our friendly advice and responses

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Med15: 6:39am On May 29, 2022
Can anybody please add me to Any Abuja Visa Appointment WhatsApp group for date update.
+2348135956410
Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Daddydee56: 7:45am On May 29, 2022
[quote author=Alexanderfrost post=113271367]Hi,

I think you need to capitalize on your IT. Get a diploma in IT in Nigeria, try very much to ace it - I will advise you have a distinction.

Then apply for computer science Masters in the States. I have seen someone with your profile getting admitted and he's running his program currently. Be ready to put in the work and have an application that stands out.

All the very best!

[ Thank you @Alexanderfrost.

So should I consider cancelling this one I'm processing already?
My appointment is for July. ]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by pelpizy: 8:04am On May 29, 2022
Schrodinger2:

When were you refused?
I was denied January, can I pick regular because there is no date for Previously, refused
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by YemiBright: 9:43am On May 29, 2022
Hello house, I am a PhD student in the US with an F1 visa. I will be getting married later this year. After that my wife will be going for an F2 visa interview while I am still in Nigeria.

Question: would it be possible for me to go in with her for the interview? We did not schedule together because my visa is still valid.

Thank you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Sstepkee(m): 9:50am On May 29, 2022
melinaaa:

quote this with your number
Good morning please add to the group 07060866181
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Michaelshow: 10:11am On May 29, 2022
Alexanderfrost:
Hi Michaelshow,

Location really does not matter!

Lagos entertain a lot more applicants than Abuja, hence the higher number of delays than Abuja. Lagos also gives out more visa than Abuja, so make of it what you may.

Having said that, you might want to consider your present location, mental frailness and stolid manner before you pick a location.

All the very Best!

Thanks Alex,

Lagos here I come, meanwhile I am close to Lagos.
Thanks for the update.

Please kindly add me to Lagos what'sapp group: 07061026945

Moreso, I use personal funding on my I-20 and think to add a sponsor on Ds-160. Hope that won't be an issue ?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Sstepkee(m): 10:13am On May 29, 2022
ObodoNaija:

There is a Telegram group for information about F-1 visa. Search for F1USVISAHOPEFULS on Telegram.
Thank you very much

2 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Christalt(m): 10:16am On May 29, 2022
covcon:
Hello Everyone, this is my first post. I have gleaned from the posts and experience here, so I decided to highlight some points that helped me.

For those who intend to apply for EA ahead of the 60 days when the rule clearly states 60 days is rather risky. Why would you want to risk that "golden ticket" by flouting the rules?

With regards to appointment booking, when I searched for appointment dates last month (April 2022) after filling out my DS-160, the earliest was April 2023. Being uninformed as I was at the time, I kept checking back and moving it (even as little as 1 week), I didn't know there was a limit to rescheduling until I got a message that if I changed my date 1ce more I would have to pay a new fee. I wasn't sure what that meant, so I stayed put, by this time I had moved up to Nov 22, so even when I saw September dates, I didn't bother rescheduling as that was still not early enough for my August start date. I forgot to mention that I selected Lagos, as that's where I live. I was tempted by the many Abuja dates that were opening up, but thank God I chose not to budge as I had giving myself a window till end of June to activate any contingencies. Well miraculously Lagos dates opened up last week, and I got a date for last Tuesday and picked up my passport yesterday. I can only describe the experience as miraculous.
Summary: Check for appointments regularly (but within the 3 times a day limit), join groups that monitor for openings, I was prompted by someone who was in one of these groups when dates became available.

With regards to preparing for the interview, I read a number of transcripts here that helped, but the most helpful was from a post that recommended watching ArgoVisa videos on YouTube. They have a lot of good free material and also options for paid services. For people who have had a refusal or complex situations, if you can afford it, I would recommend you schedule an appointment with them.

I saw someone who asked if you can go to another country to apply, well that's also risky (as I also gleaned from ex-consular officers). That was one of my contingencies. There are challenges with that, it would be more difficult to establish home ties and also your passport might stand out from the passports they would be used to seeing, thus increasing the scrutiny on you. If eventually you are unable to get an earlier date through any other means, then that may be sufficient justification to apply as a third country national. I advise you do additional research to be prepared.

When asked questions like why this school, why the US, why this course etc, I learnt that it's an opportunity to tell your story. Be an active interviewee and not passive, i.e. anticipate what the VO would like to know with that question, and provide a FULL answer that helps them relate to you as a person and not just some random applicant, in other words succinct responses scaled down from what you wrote in your SOP. This is what i did during my interview.

Travel history I have realized is also important, not impossible to get your visa approved without it, but it definitely gives you a leg up. If you don't have any travel history, then you have to look for other areas to highlight and take away the focus from it. It's better explained why you haven't travelled rather than just responding no to the question if raised.

Something I previously didn't consider important was my appearance, so 2 days before my interview, I went to the barber's for a haircut and a shave. I also wore a clean shirt with trousers, (no need to be overdressed), focus should be on neat rather than flashy. I have almost 15 years of work experience so I attempted to look the part.

If you have a "thick" accent, it's important to practice speaking clearly, use simpler words to express yourself. The person ahead of me had a hard time being understood by the VO, which I suspect contributed to the undesired outcome.

Despite my preparation, I was bombarded with contrary thoughts (high stakes) and so I reminded myself that the previous week, I had an appointment for Nov 2022, and then less than a week later I was about to be interviewed, and God who did that for me was definitely letting me know everything else was covered.

Thanks to those who have been sharing helpful tips. Many apologies for the long post

Congrats on everything. I’m so very happy for you.
Duly noted the tips you’ve given.
I’m about to fill out my d160 form this week, but with regards to sop, I’d gone through the form and didn’t know that would be required for post graduate tho.
Pls share a little more light.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Christalt(m): 10:23am On May 29, 2022
covcon:
Hello Everyone, this is my first post. I have gleaned from the posts and experience here, so I decided to highlight some points that helped me.

For those who intend to apply for EA ahead of the 60 days when the rule clearly states 60 days is rather risky. Why would you want to risk that "golden ticket" by flouting the rules?

With regards to appointment booking, when I searched for appointment dates last month (April 2022) after filling out my DS-160, the earliest was April 2023. Being uninformed as I was at the time, I kept checking back and moving it (even as little as 1 week), I didn't know there was a limit to rescheduling until I got a message that if I changed my date 1ce more I would have to pay a new fee. I wasn't sure what that meant, so I stayed put, by this time I had moved up to Nov 22, so even when I saw September dates, I didn't bother rescheduling as that was still not early enough for my August start date. I forgot to mention that I selected Lagos, as that's where I live. I was tempted by the many Abuja dates that were opening up, but thank God I chose not to budge as I had giving myself a window till end of June to activate any contingencies. Well miraculously Lagos dates opened up last week, and I got a date for last Tuesday and picked up my passport yesterday. I can only describe the experience as miraculous.
Summary: Check for appointments regularly (but within the 3 times a day limit), join groups that monitor for openings, I was prompted by someone who was in one of these groups when dates became available.

With regards to preparing for the interview, I read a number of transcripts here that helped, but the most helpful was from a post that recommended watching ArgoVisa videos on YouTube. They have a lot of good free material and also options for paid services. For people who have had a refusal or complex situations, if you can afford it, I would recommend you schedule an appointment with them.

I saw someone who asked if you can go to another country to apply, well that's also risky (as I also gleaned from ex-consular officers). That was one of my contingencies. There are challenges with that, it would be more difficult to establish home ties and also your passport might stand out from the passports they would be used to seeing, thus increasing the scrutiny on you. If eventually you are unable to get an earlier date through any other means, then that may be sufficient justification to apply as a third country national. I advise you do additional research to be prepared.

When asked questions like why this school, why the US, why this course etc, I learnt that it's an opportunity to tell your story. Be an active interviewee and not passive, i.e. anticipate what the VO would like to know with that question, and provide a FULL answer that helps them relate to you as a person and not just some random applicant, in other words succinct responses scaled down from what you wrote in your SOP. This is what i did during my interview.

Travel history I have realized is also important, not impossible to get your visa approved without it, but it definitely gives you a leg up. If you don't have any travel history, then you have to look for other areas to highlight and take away the focus from it. It's better explained why you haven't travelled rather than just responding no to the question if raised.

Something I previously didn't consider important was my appearance, so 2 days before my interview, I went to the barber's for a haircut and a shave. I also wore a clean shirt with trousers, (no need to be overdressed), focus should be on neat rather than flashy. I have almost 15 years of work experience so I attempted to look the part.

If you have a "thick" accent, it's important to practice speaking clearly, use simpler words to express yourself. The person ahead of me had a hard time being understood by the VO, which I suspect contributed to the undesired outcome.

Despite my preparation, I was bombarded with contrary thoughts (high stakes) and so I reminded myself that the previous week, I had an appointment for Nov 2022, and then less than a week later I was about to be interviewed, and God who did that for me was definitely letting me know everything else was covered.

Thanks to those who have been sharing helpful tips. Many apologies for the long post

Sorry I forgot to ask.
Are you sponsoring yourself , or did you put in a sponsor? If you did, who ?
I’m asking because I’m my sponsor and I have over 10 years of work experience. I’m hoping putting myself as the sponsor won’t be an issue.
Pls allow my draw from your experience..... many thanks

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Mhesi: 10:30am On May 29, 2022
melinaaa:
Please anyone with abuja link for dates? help please!!!
Have you been added to a group. Please add me too
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Christalt(m): 10:33am On May 29, 2022
[quote author=Christalt post=113218799]Good day house. Pls I wanna make some important enquiries.
My start date is in august and I’m expecting my I-20 by next week.
So next step is to fill out my d160 form and get a date.
Firstly, is it ok if I fill myself as my sponsor, because I’m actually sponsoring myself for the entire duration of the program. And yes..... I have the capacity. Just wanna be sure it won’t be a red flag.

Also, I have siblings who’ve been in the us for over 20 years. They’re citizens but we do not have a relationship at all, we barely even talk. We’re from different mothers but our names are the same. How do I answer the d160 question of “do you have siblings in the us” and the follow up question? Cos yes we are siblings but they don’t even know I’m coming to the us. Even when I visited last year, they weren’t aware. I’m just trying to avoid any form of suspicion. Do I still acknowledge them in my form?

Thirdly, I’m a lawyer (10 years now). I did a diploma in Global leadership with a Canadian university. Now , I wanna do a masters in Leadership studies in the us. I’m hoping there won’t be a problem as per its connection to law? They’re basically all social sciences so I don’t see an issue but still, I wanna be 100 percent sure.

Id be so thankful if I’m given due insights of these questions pls. Thanks a lot

Pls fam...... I really need insights to these questions I’ve asked.
Pls pls.
Thank you so much
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 10:59am On May 29, 2022
Good morning
Please does COA includes living expenses?
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Sauce22: 11:42am On May 29, 2022
[quote author=Christalt post=113278044][/quote]
Like you said when you visited there your siblings are not aware cos you guys don't talk Use the same answer you used when you applied for your tourist visa regards to the question if you have siblings or not.

Regards your third questions, it's your story and no one knows it better, so sell your story to the VO, you are the only one that knows why you going for a particular course
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Captaintitan(m): 12:08pm On May 29, 2022
Yea it does
Tirinng:
Good morning

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Nobody: 1:17pm On May 29, 2022
Captaintitan:
Yea it does

Thank you
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by bankygg: 1:22pm On May 29, 2022
melinaaa:

quote this with your number
Kindly add me up 08062692500. Thank you.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by covcon(m): 1:44pm On May 29, 2022
Christalt:

Congrats on everything. I’m so very happy for you.
Duly noted the tips you’ve given.
I’m about to fill out my d160 form this week, but with regards to sop, I’d gone through the form and didn’t know that would be required for post graduate tho.
Pls share a little more light.

Thank you !

For the SOP I meant that one should use a scaled down version to respond to the questions like: why this program? why this school? why now? etc. You don't want to ramble on for too long, rather you want the VO to understand your motivation.

Christalt:

Sorry I forgot to ask.
Are you sponsoring yourself , or did you put in a sponsor? If you did, who ?
I’m asking because I’m my sponsor and I have over 10 years of work experience. I’m hoping putting myself as the sponsor won’t be an issue.
Pls allow my draw from your experience..... many thanks

I got $10k funding and I specified that I would handle the rest from my personal savings, highlighting that I have been working for almost 15 years smiley. So my I-20 has personal funds for the remainder.
I was particularly asked how I would fund the program; another point to note that the VOs do not necessarily look at the documents when passed to them, so you should ensure that you highlight those advantages, especially for those with partial or full funding.
When asked, I responded that I had a scholarship, and he interjected, "no that's not true" and when I started to respond, he looked, saw it and corrected himself. After that I mentioned personal funds for the balance.

3 Likes

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Bofoni11: 1:46pm On May 29, 2022
Please can anyone help me with the whatsapp group

We have a few number of undergraduates. My son’s F1 visa got approved last week. Nothing spectacular about the interview and I don’t think there is much to learn but all the same, I will share the transcript below.[/quote]
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Christalt(m): 3:42pm On May 29, 2022
covcon:

Thank you !

For the SOP I meant that one should use a scaled down version to respond to the questions like: why this program? why this school? why now? etc. You don't want to ramble on for too long, rather you want the VO to understand your motivation.

I really appreciate your response. Thanks a lot.

I got $10k funding and I specified that I would handle the rest from my personal savings, highlighting that I have been working for almost 15 years smiley. So my I-20 has personal funds for the remainder.
I was particularly asked how I would fund the program; another point to note that the VOs do not necessarily look at the documents when passed to them, so you should ensure that you highlight those advantages, especially for those with partial or full funding.
When asked, I responded that I had a scholarship, and he interjected, "no that's not true" and when I started to respond, he looked, saw it and corrected himself. After that I mentioned personal funds for the balance.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Christalt(m): 3:50pm On May 29, 2022
Sauce22:

Like you said when you visited there your siblings are not aware cos you guys don't talk Use the same answer you used when you applied for your tourist visa regards to the question if you have siblings or not.

Regards your third questions, it's your story and no one knows it better, so sell your story to the VO, you are the only one that knows why you going for a particular course

Thanks a lot. Appreciated
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Schrodinger2(m): 4:27pm On May 29, 2022
pelpizy:

I was denied January, can I pick regular because there is no date for Previously, refused

Take the risk and pick a regular appointment with the intention that you'd get a date in late June or early July. That way, you'd quite be close to 6months after your last denial.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Schrodinger2(m): 4:31pm On May 29, 2022
Tirinng:
Good morning

Yes, otherwise stated.

1 Like

Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ikeolafarm: 4:44pm On May 29, 2022
You should be able to apply for EA from June 22

prince876:
Good evening guys

My wife and I applied for the F1 and F2 Visa appointment in Lagos but got a January 23rd, 2023 date.

My class start date is August 22, 2022.

Can anyone help with how I can get an Expedite Date for June? I will also love to join the F1 WhatsApp group( +27739432113) for guidance and more updates.

Thank you and congrats to everyone who has gotten their visa approved
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Timaiko: 4:46pm On May 29, 2022
*Hello Beautiful People*

I'm expecting my I-20 this week, the issue is I was giving a conditional offer so I had to apply for Non-degree; I will be given a semester to proove my self worthy to be admitted fully into the degree program.

The basis of the conditional offer was because I did not meet up with the required GPA.

I don't know if the I-20 will reflect this, but just in case, I'll need an assistance on how to tackle this with the VO.

I intend to mention the fact that, my grades were impacted due to being a Violinist in the Uni Orchestra(Violinist) during my bachelor's degree. Had to attend activities to maintain my privileges.

I'm quite skeptical about my answer anyways. *KINDLY ASSIST *

Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by ikeolafarm: 4:58pm On May 29, 2022
Booking for appointment on CGI Portal for F-2, the SEVIS no and principle's details asked for are they for the F-1?

Thanks.
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Jennifer6563: 5:10pm On May 29, 2022
Good day, please can anyone add me to F1 WhatsApp group so I can get to equip myself with transcripts posted and as well get ready for mine.
Thanks
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by Pious101: 5:32pm On May 29, 2022
Bofoni11:
Please can anyone help me with the whatsapp group

We have a few number of undergraduates. My son’s F1 visa got approved last week. Nothing spectacular about the interview and I don’t think there is much to learn but all the same, I will share the transcript below.
pls this is my first time visiting here....my sister is applying for MSc studies in USA and in an attempt to book an appointment we discover she had to fill an Ds-160 form first....my question is should that be the first thing before proceeding? Thanks for Ur anticipated response
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by beejhay69: 6:09pm On May 29, 2022
Pious101:
pls this is my first time visiting here....my sister is applying for MSc studies in USA and in an attempt to book an appointment we discover she had to fill an Ds-160 form first....my question is should that be the first thing before proceeding? Thanks for Ur anticipated response
Yes. You'd need the DS-160 confirmation number to complete your visa application.

Link: https://ceac.state.gov/GenNIV/default.aspx
Re: General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 16 by BECKY6240: 6:37pm On May 29, 2022
Hi guys
I have been a silent reader here and I must say its a great work here preparing one ahead for the new journey.
Please I need help for list of schools that gives scholarship for masters. This will really help in my application process.
Thank you all and God bless

(1) (2) (3) ... (941) (942) (943) (944) (945) (946) (947) ... (1004)

General South Africa Visa Enquiries / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant / Living In Canada/Life As A Canadian Immigrant Part 2

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.