Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,932 members, 7,952,762 topics. Date: Wednesday, 18 September 2024 at 11:25 PM

My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? - Business (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? (28975 Views)

I Watched My Brother, Sani, Die - Dangote Tells Tinubu / $4800 Sent To Me By My Brother Has Been Hijacked By Nigeria Customs / BVN FORFEITURE ORDER: Stealing From The Dead (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by Manoftheyear: 4:28pm On Jan 12, 2021
DropsMic:

Sack her.. Thieves no dey change. Talking from experience.

Noted sir

1 Like

Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by Manoftheyear: 4:30pm On Jan 12, 2021
RealAlubarika:

Firstly i will want to commend you for being observant. I will advise you caution her that if he continue with such act you will report her to your brother and she may probably loose her job.

Tell your brother to always monitor his stock when they're bought and track them properly.

If he ask you why saying so, tell him not to trust nobody in business. But don't tell him what you found out. Let him if he is observant with your advise he will find out by himself.

We rise by lifting others

Thank you sir
Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by NWAAMARA(f): 4:33pm On Jan 12, 2021
Manoftheyear:
Good day guys, happy New year to everyone, please I will make this post as brief as possible.

My brother asked me to help him look after his business when he wants to travel for Xmas, and it happens that I know much about the business, and he have a salesgirl too whom from my observation is a single mother though she is still very young.

Now this is the problem, since I started coming to that shop, I noticed this girl used to do some uncertain things (wuru wuru), so I decided to be more watchful and that's when I found out what she has been doing in the shop. I have caught her red handed in this act.

The first occasion was during last week Tuesday when we were about to close for the day and I was going through the sales book only for me to realized that the items we sold earlier in the day, the quantity in the book was different from what we actually sold, she minus some quantity and I called her to it and she acted as if it was a mistake, I acted as if nothing happened.

Second incident was last week Saturday, I was in the shop and one woman came to the shop with an Item she bought from our shop, so I was in my corner not minding them but I realized she came to complain of something to her and later bought another thing, I saw the item she came with so after the woman left, I called the girl and asked her when the woman bought that item, she said it was on Thursday, so after sometime, I went to the sales book to check if she wrote it, but I was shocked when I went through the whole week sales but I couldn't find it. I kept my cool, till in the evening when we were about to go and i asked her to show me where she wrote it, only for her to be going through over and over again, I asked her, I thought you said you sold this thing on Thursday and she said no.

Now because we have closed for the day, she wrote it as Monday sales, but I keep wondering if it was only this item that the woman bought. Even is she sold it on Thursday and forget to write it down, the Money would have reflected after the close of the day, but it didn't, that means she intentionally stole the money. She is the one with shop keys and she opens the shop before i come every morning.

Now my problems are

1. I love minding my business

2. It's my brother's business which he entrusted to me to look after for him, so if after finding out all these things and still keep it to myself, if anything goes wrong in future I won't forgive myself.

3. This lady is a single mother and very young, I assume this is the only place she gets what she's using to take care of her herself and her baby, I really feel for her and I know she is going to loose her job if my brother gets to know about this.

Please what should I do?

Please forgive my errors, I'm not perfect
have a 1 on 1 talk with her in a cool calm environment. let her know your findings and tell her to desist henceforth. if she relents, then disclose it to your brother and let him make the final decision.
Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by OlujobaSamuel: 4:33pm On Jan 12, 2021
Fire her if you can, if not, tell your bro to fire her.
She won't repent so forget the talk to her line. Also, nothing like vulnerable due to her kid, it's in her eyes already.
I will sack a dishonest employee before an incompetent one, any day, anytime.
On minding your business, I think you need to understand what your business is. Your going to your brother shop means you are getting a reward, directly or indirectly, like remuneration, paying your sch fee, stipend, experience, etc, closure of the business means you are also going to be affected, so you should understand that the actions or inactions of the lady is your business.
Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by steeltrust: 4:33pm On Jan 12, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

The problems you listed are actually your answers.

Problem 1. Mind your business, what your brother does not know will not kill him besides you didn't say his business was doing badly because of her.

Problem 2. Forgive yourself.
Because

Problem 3.
She is a single mom who is vulnerable.
It is better she is cheating your brother to sustain her baby than she engages into prostitution.
If she dies from HIV or her baby dies from malnutrition because you made her lose her job or blocked her access..will you be able to forgive yourself?

She is young and attractive....you could as well start a relationship with her so that you can cater to her.
That way, what she steals is still within the family.

So in summary;
Mind your business and don't tell your brother. Forgive yourself for not telling your brother because the culprit is a single mother who needs to do what she is doing if she and her baby will survive.
what are you saying
Is she not paid

Abi you want her to run the business down before she will realise her wrong abi na the shop owner and the op give her Belle

Oga abeg reason well jare
Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by Manoftheyear: 4:35pm On Jan 12, 2021
Righteousness2:

Better Tell your Brother your Observations.
You don't need to tell him what to do.
Tell Him what you Have Observed,
If not Your Brothers Shop is on its way to Collaspe!

Thank you sir, I appreciate

1 Like

Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by GodWrites: 4:35pm On Jan 12, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Problem 1. Mind your business, what your brother does not know will not kill him besides you didn't say his business was doing badly because of her.

Because

Problem 3.
It is better she is cheating your brother to sustain her baby than she engages into prostitution.
If she dies from HIV or her baby dies from malnutrition because you made her lose her job or blocked her access..will you be able to forgive yourself?

She is young and attractive....you could as well start a relationship with her so that you can cater to her.

So in summary;
Mind your business and don't tell your brother. Forgive yourself for not telling your brother because the culprit is a single mother who needs to do what she is doing if she and her baby will survive.

It's obvious you didn't come back with your senses.

You seem under pressure, to resuscitate your already dead worthless fame on NL?

That's why you should run from the spotlight, it takes away your every essence, rendering you empty and depressed as your acclaimed followers bomber you with expectations

That expectations have led you to make this ridiculous comment.

It's a pity!

1 Like

Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by bethyz(m): 4:36pm On Jan 12, 2021
I am surprised at the people saying mind your business.

What kind of human being are we raising in Nigeria this days.

Because she is a single mother she should run down somone business and sweat. From stealing one thing she will one day send people that will clear the shop.

Your brothers shop is the only shop that employs people in this country?

If you love your brother let him know. If she continues that way one day they will set tire on her head and burn her before they even realize she is a single mother.

No body should surport evil please

2 Likes

Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by flinton(m): 4:36pm On Jan 12, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Because

Problem 3.

So in summary;
I have seen dumb responses but this is a top contender

2 Likes

Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by Myself2(m): 4:37pm On Jan 12, 2021
thesicilian:
1. You claim you want to mind your own business, but the fact that you were put in charge of the shop in your brother's absence makes that shop your business.

2. Being a single mom is not an excuse for stealing. As long as she's being paid her agreed salary.

3. The only reason I can think of that would make you be wondering whether to tell your own brother or not about his salesgirl that his robbing him blind is if you're sleeping with her.

Exactly cos that’s the only reason he is trying to make stupid excuses for her and disturbing us busy nairalanders here with yeye question

2 Likes

Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by Manoftheyear: 4:38pm On Jan 12, 2021
RisenPhoenix1:
I assume you're the manager? I would say, handle it yourself this time, talk to her first. Warn her that you are aware of what she has been doing, and construct an internal control system that would stop her from stealing without detection; maybe by taking a weekly stock count every Friday with her; or if this is too difficult, you can pick just a few items at random every evening before closing for the stock counting; with a more comprehensive end of month exercise. Make it clear to her that she will be held accountable and have her pay deducted for every item that is missing. Oftentimes, floor sales people steal because internal control is lax and there is little chance of getting caught. But whatever the case may be, give her another chance.

Besides, even if you fire her and get someone else, there is every likelihood that the next sales girl will also steal, and the next, and the next; as long as the internal control is weak. Better the devil you know. Sometimes as a manager, you have to look at the cost and benefit to your business. You learn overtime that it is not every infringement of the rules you react harshly over.

Her being a young single mother or other emotional tripe of that nature should not be a consideration. This is a financial issue, not a moral one.

Thanks boss

1 Like

Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by golddare: 4:44pm On Jan 12, 2021
Manoftheyear:
Good day guys, happy New year to everyone, please I will make this post as brief as possible.

My brother asked me to help him look after his business when he wants to travel for Xmas, and it happens that I know much about the business, and he have a salesgirl too whom from my observation is a single mother though she is still very young.

Now this is the problem, since I started coming to that shop, I noticed this girl used to do some uncertain things (wuru wuru), so I decided to be more watchful and that's when I found out what she has been doing in the shop. I have caught her red handed in this act.

The first occasion was during last week Tuesday when we were about to close for the day and I was going through the sales book only for me to realized that the items we sold earlier in the day, the quantity in the book was different from what we actually sold, she minus some quantity and I called her to it and she acted as if it was a mistake, I acted as if nothing happened.

Second incident was last week Saturday, I was in the shop and one woman came to the shop with an Item she bought from our shop, so I was in my corner not minding them but I realized she came to complain of something to her and later bought another thing, I saw the item she came with so after the woman left, I called the girl and asked her when the woman bought that item, she said it was on Thursday, so after sometime, I went to the sales book to check if she wrote it, but I was shocked when I went through the whole week sales but I couldn't find it. I kept my cool, till in the evening when we were about to go and i asked her to show me where she wrote it, only for her to be going through over and over again, I asked her, I thought you said you sold this thing on Thursday and she said no.

Now because we have closed for the day, she wrote it as Monday sales, but I keep wondering if it was only this item that the woman bought. Even is she sold it on Thursday and forget to write it down, the Money would have reflected after the close of the day, but it didn't, that means she intentionally stole the money. She is the one with shop keys and she opens the shop before i come every morning.

Now my problems are

1. I love minding my business

2. It's my brother's business which he entrusted to me to look after for him, so if after finding out all these things and still keep it to myself, if anything goes wrong in future I won't forgive myself.

3. This lady is a single mother and very young, I assume this is the only place she gets what she's using to take care of her herself and her baby, I really feel for her and I know she is going to loose her job if my brother gets to know about this.

Please what should I do?

Fire her.
Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by Dreyton36: 4:44pm On Jan 12, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Because

Problem 3.

So in summary;

You started good but ended foolish

Lights up my kpoli in peace
Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by AstuteAyo(m): 4:44pm On Jan 12, 2021
Stay mute o, until ur brother replaced the iPhone in ur hand with itel 1407
Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by madgoat(m): 4:44pm On Jan 12, 2021
Manoftheyear:

She has been behaving somehow since yesterday, sometimes lost in thought and I know it's because of what happened on Saturday because there is no way she can cover it up

Tell her u are aware of whats going on. Also let ur brother know but plead on her behalf so he doesn't sack her. The devil u have caught is better than the new sales girl you will employ.
Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by jahlove4jah: 4:44pm On Jan 12, 2021
If he goes with this advice, what will be the effect of the resultant effect to the business at the long run?
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Because

Problem 3.

So in summary;
Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by Manoftheyear: 4:45pm On Jan 12, 2021
onez:
Please tell your brother everything. Don't miss one detail. Thank you

grin grin cheesy
Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by Bmaster(m): 4:45pm On Jan 12, 2021
See them, quoting NwaAmaikpe like say everybody is not entitled to his or her opinions or rather advice.

Drop your advice and stop all this holy acts over what NwaAmaikpe suggested.

2 Likes

Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by fearlessigboman(m): 4:47pm On Jan 12, 2021
From your write up.. It seems your bro is into provisions or something of sort which the profit in individual item is next to nothing..
If you leave her to continue like this. It's only a matter of time before your brothers business collapsees..
Then that job you are concerned about her losing, she will be forced to lose it
And also that new job you think it will be hard for her to get, she will still get it..
Tell your brother bro..

Because if you advice her, she will only change until you leave.. Once your brother is back, she will revert to her ways again...

For those screaming country hard country hard..
If I carried a gun to your home and took your money in the name of country hard.. I hope you will understand as well...

2 Likes

Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by Christistruth00: 4:47pm On Jan 12, 2021
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

Because

Problem 3.

So in summary;

Your advice is very wicked.

If you want to help help which one is relationship again?

Tell your brither to pay her well enough

tell your brother to Warn her that if she steals again after that she will be sacked
Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by Manoftheyear: 4:48pm On Jan 12, 2021
einsteine:
You are a fool for even considering not telling your brother. May we not have brothers like you. Was it your brother that impregnated her to make her a single mother? Being a single mother is a choice, afterall how much is Misoprostol? She stole. Report to your brother and let him make his decision. All those people saying warn her that she shouldn't do it again are clowning. She has been stealing before and now sees stealing as part of her salary. The mouth that has tasted milk does not forget the taste.

Alright sir
Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by Manoftheyear: 4:49pm On Jan 12, 2021
donttouchme:
If u really love ur brother, u hv to tell him. Dat girl is liquidating ur bro and u are their forming holy. Wait until she sends ur brother back to d village, ur eyes go clear. Her type will not hesitate to take action if reverse is d case. Be wise and stop listening to all these fools. Ur brothers survival matters at this point. If ur brothers business liquidate, she will always find another shop to loot. Call a spade a spade stupid

Thanks boss
Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by Manoftheyear: 4:50pm On Jan 12, 2021
shilz:
If her salary isn't enough she should discuss with her boss or look elsewhere..she is stealing not because of her baby but because she is greedy...report to your brother.whatever his decision is shouldn't be ur problem as you have played ur part..if the business crumbles she will find another job,will ur brother be able to continue?

Thanks ma'am

1 Like

Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by LilMissFavvy(f): 4:51pm On Jan 12, 2021
What's confusing you here? Tell your brother. She has to promise to change, otherwise let the job be taken from her. if she truly regrets and promises not to steal again, let her continue the job under monitoring. If she steals again, sack her.
Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by Nobody: 4:53pm On Jan 12, 2021
Manoftheyear:

Thanks boss

Welcome. Part of being a business owner is to know when to open eye and when to close it.

But make sure that she knows that she's under watch now, and that the next incident will lead to dismissal. Also, if there are other sales girls, dont let them know her crime. But still, call them all to a meeting, tell them without mentioning names, that some items are being stolen and that anyone caught will be dismissed. Keep them on their toes at all times, this is an opportunity to instill discipline in your staff. You can mention it to your brother in future (don't tell him who the culprit is if you think he may overreact) and how you handled it, along with the controls you set up to prevent future occurrence.

Good luck.
Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by smoke9910(m): 4:54pm On Jan 12, 2021
Being a single mother is no excuse. You owe it to your brother to tell him what is going on in his business. What if his business crashes because of your pity. Business is not a place of pity, your brother deserves to know. He's your blood and that's a stronger bond than anything else.
Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by mechanics(m): 4:54pm On Jan 12, 2021
Ask her to refund all what she has stole, if she does not do it, tell your bros.
Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by Nobody: 4:55pm On Jan 12, 2021
What sort of advice are people giving, so you'll rather watch someone ruin your brothers business.
Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by Manoftheyear: 4:55pm On Jan 12, 2021
Heathrow44:
Don't tell him, all employee's steal, u just av t tighten leakages & make dem more accountable thru stock checking!

I'm not staying here with them, it because my bro travel for Xmas that's why u came here, I believe this has been going on for long because that one no too dey stay for shop. The girl is the one always in the shop, she is with the keys too.
Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by femo86(m): 4:57pm On Jan 12, 2021
We are in business to make profit and when there are series of cash pilfering .....The business might collapse...

Tell your brother and let her be warned, subsequent cash pilfering from her should be severely dealt with by dismissing her....
Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by ekineme: 4:57pm On Jan 12, 2021
1. The society has blindfolded people to an extend of not been able to see evil for what it is.
2. Stealing is bad, there is no justification that can make it right.

Back to the topic, OP if I am in your shoe, this is what I will do;
1. I will call her attention to all I have observed
2. I will tell her point black that she is a thief
3. I will remind her that there is no justification to her action
4. I will tell her everyone deserve a second chance, I have forgiven her, I won't tell my Bros abt it but will tell him to be more vigilante/ observant towards her.
5. I will tell her to talk to my Bros for an increment if her present salary is not sufficient to settle her basic needs.
6. I will make her write an undertaking, I will video her while she is writing it as part of my evidence.
7. I will tell her if she ever steal from my Bros again, I will use the evidences against her, she has an opportunity to correct her mess.
8. Thereafter, I will tell her to forget we ever had this encounter.
Re: My Brother's Salesgirl Is Stealing from Him, Should I Tell Him? by ProtectMyMoney: 4:57pm On Jan 12, 2021
Manoftheyear:

Please what should I do?

Inform your brother, Collect the shop keys and fire the thief! . .

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Woman Saves One Million Naira In Piggy Bank / Africa’s Richest (from Nigeria) Land In Nairobi. / Sent Money To A Wrong Account. How Do I Get It Back ?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 86
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.