Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,640 members, 7,820,240 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 12:01 PM

Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set - Family - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set (895 Views)

My Mum Is Planning To Forcefully Give Out My Little Sister Out For Marriage / Is It Advisable To Marry A Man Earning 100k In This Present Economy. Ur Sincere / Hauwa, Adam Nuru Wife Is Not Planning To Divorce Him, Stands With Her Husband (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by Nobody: 11:16am On Jan 15, 2021
This has been bothering me ever since I heard the predicament of a sister. So I've been thinking on how to go about this in order not to appear like one is overdoing things.

So I want to know if it's right or not necessary to suggest to whoever you plan settling down with to go for a mental health assessment/test or at least check their mental history to rule out any issues before finally sealing the relationship.

Now, there have been news and stories of spouses hacking or killing their spouses at the slightest provocation. So been thinking it has to do with the state of their mental health and if it had been checked and discovered in time, they prolly would have gotten help on how to manage the situation or even not gone ahead with the marriage.

You know, some people can appear sane but have some underlying mental health issues waiting to be triggered and one can not know by merely looking at them or dealing with them on the pheripheral until you hit the spot, which the other person may not know what it is. So it calls for serious concerns and I think should be added to the numerous tests conducted prio to marriage preparations.

So, would it be wrong if you suggest he or she goes for this test? would it not look too extreme like taking things too far? Or would it be a step in the right direction?
I'm just wondering.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by NeoWanZaeed(m): 11:24am On Jan 15, 2021
Wetin concern you with wetin no concern you? This is a very serious issue. Someone that ign0red pastors will listen to u with a very sensitive issue like this? She go just break bottle for ur head. Evening news paper trying so hard to hold on what she has got. Bad or good, she no care. .hence the rejection of the pastors
Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by Nobody: 11:27am On Jan 15, 2021
NeoWanZaeed:
Wetin concern you with wetin no concern you? This is a very serious issue. Someone that ign0red pastors will listen to u with a very sensitive issue like this? She go just break bottle for ur head. Evening news paper trying so hard to hold on what she has got. Bad or good, she no care. .hence the rejection of the pastors

It's not really about her now. Im talking about preventing such things from reoccurring.
Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by NeoWanZaeed(m): 11:34am On Jan 15, 2021
CalliDora1:

It's not really about her now. Im talking about preventing such things from reoccurring.

If ur guy is okay with the test. .no problem. As for me, make a no just vex. Make a take test say a dey craze or n0t. What kinda . .tsw. Make a just kip quiet
Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by Nobody: 11:37am On Jan 15, 2021
Why is everyone avoiding this post?

Well, I just feel there's need for this awareness to save us all the domestic violence we are faced with in the society today.

So, if you like heed, if you dont like, risk it as usual. Its all up to you.

Shalom.
Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by Nobody: 11:39am On Jan 15, 2021
NeoWanZaeed:
If ur guy is okay with the test. .no problem. As for me, make a no just vex. Make a take test say a dey craze or n0t. What kinda . .tsw. Make a just kip quiet

Hahahahaaaa... Mehnn... I'm laughing out like crazy here @this your comment.. Heheheeeeeee...

Hey, chill man. No bodys insinuating anybody is mad here. Just like going for HIV test doesn't suggest you actually have it. It's just to rule out any possibilities of having it.

Ok.
Thanks for your imput
Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by Nobody: 12:42pm On Jan 15, 2021
Are people scared of this test or what?? The more reason to have it checked though.
Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by Liposure: 1:14pm On Jan 15, 2021
Not a bad idea but sounds weird. This is becos in this part of the world, people tend to take offence at matters concerning their mental state of mind. To them, it's like going too far.

2 Likes

Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by mutter(f): 2:03pm On Jan 15, 2021
Don't think it will solve the problem.
Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by themayor4542(m): 2:12pm On Jan 15, 2021
I think it's actually a good idea. Sometimes it's good to know what one is getting into. There's also the fact that a lot of people have mental problem (doesn't mean the person is roving mad) from depression to bipolar and all sorts.
So yes i think it's a good way to go.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jan 15, 2021
Liposure:
Not a bad idea but sounds weird. This is becos in this part of the world, people tend to take offence at matters concerning their mental state of mind. To them, it's like going too far.

Yes thats exactly my point. People will see it as weird but it's not. So presenting the idea to someone in this part of the world now will be very difficult. Huh..
Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by Nobody: 2:14pm On Jan 15, 2021
mutter:
Don't think it will solve the problem.

It will to a large extent, I believe.
Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jan 15, 2021
themayor4542:
I think it's actually a good idea. Sometimes it's good to know what one is getting into. There's also the fact that a lot of people have mental problem (doesn't mean the person is roving mad) from depression to bipolar and all sorts.
So yes i think it's a good way to go.

Exactly!!! They may not be manifesting it like you said but it may just be present in them hence the need to check in time before it begins to show.

Just want it to be discussed widely and be added to the list of tests being carried out before marriage. It will help.

Thanks.
Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by Nobody: 8:16am On Jan 21, 2021
Bump.
Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by Mindlog: 8:53am On Jan 21, 2021
Mental health issues are very sensitive issues, in this part of the world, telling one to go for mental health assessment is equal to "accusing them of being mad"

Some mental health issues can be hereditary and can run in the family such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression, suicidal ideation etc

So while dating be very observant of the person and his/her family of origin, even if there is an indication of something make effort to go online to read up what it is all about, causes, symptoms and treatment options. Also while online, read up on the 3 clusters of personality disorders.

I believe this would help one to make informed decisions.

By the way, experiencing mental health issues does not equate to being "mad' because for many disorders when properly managed, one can still execute their daily functioning with professional intervention alongside the loving support and understanding from family and friends.
Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by Nobody: 11:24am On Jan 21, 2021
Mindlog:
Mental health issues are very sensitive issues, in this part of the world telling one to go for mental health assessment is equal to "accusing them of being mad"

Some mental health issues can be hereditary and can run in the family such as schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, depression, suicidal ideation etc

So while dating be very observant of the person and his/her family of origin, even if there is an indication of something make effort to go online to read up what it is all about, causes, symptoms and treatment options. Also while online, read up on the 3 clusters of personality disorders.

I believe this would help one to make informed decisions.

By the way, experiencing mental health issues does not equate to being "mad' because for many disorders when properly managed, one can still execute their daily functioning with professional intervention alongside the loving support and understanding from family and friends.

Yeah.. I thonk this a better approach to such issues in our part of the world.

Thanks for your imput.
Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by legacystore: 3:26pm On Jan 21, 2021
CalliDora1:
This has been bothering me ever since I heard the predicament of a sister. So I've been thinking on how to go about this in order not to appear like one is overdoing things.

So I want to know if it's right or not necessary to suggest to whoever you plan settling down with to go for a mental health assessment/test or at least check their mental history to rule out any issues before finally sealing the relationship.

Now, there have been news and stories of spouses hacking or killing their spouses at the slightest provocation. So been thinking it has to do with the state of their mental health and if it had been checked and discovered in time, they prolly would have gotten help on how to manage the situation or even not gone ahead with the marriage.

You know, some people can appear sane but have some underlying mental health issues waiting to be triggered and one can not know by merely looking at them or dealing with them on the pheripheral until you hit the spot, which the other person may not know what it is. So it calls for serious concerns and I think should be added to the numerous tests conducted prio to marriage preparations.

So, would it be wrong if you suggest he or she goes for this test? would it not look too extreme like taking things too far? Or would it be a step in the right direction?
I'm just wondering.

not necessary as long as no one is mad among the siblings. its absolutely necessary to see him very angry at least once to kw how he manages anger

1 Like

Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by Nobody: 3:31pm On Jan 21, 2021
legacystore:

not necessary as long as no one is mad among the siblings. its absolutely necessary to see him very angry at least once to kw how he manages anger

Oh.. I see.

Thank you so much.
Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by tobechi74: 6:42am On Jan 22, 2021
There is a stigma attached to this word MENTAL or PSYCHO that pushes people away. U less you tell your partner that it is a pastor , before be go agree.
Sad.
Religion has taken over role of counsellor
Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jan 25, 2021
tobechi74:
There is a stigma attached to this word MENTAL or PSYCHO that pushes people away. U less you tell your partner that it is a pastor , before be go agree.
Sad.
Religion has taken over role of counsellor

Mmm .. yeah. You're right.

There are counsellors in the church. So, it's same same.
Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by Karleb(m): 9:24pm On Jan 25, 2021
You might just remain single forever.

Even in advanced country, going to a therapist or a psychiatrist is a stigma. It's something that might make you unfit for a high status position.

If you are suggesting that to a potential suitor especially a man, he'll take it a the highest insult in his life. It's an indirect way of saying he's not mentally alright.

Even if you suggest you guys go together, it'll only make it worse.
Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by Nobody: 9:43pm On Jan 25, 2021
Karleb:

I might just remain single forever.

Even in advanced country, going to a therapist or a psychiatrist is a stigma. It's something that might make you unfit for a high status position.

Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by Karlebolu(m): 9:47pm On Jan 25, 2021
Sha don't kill yourself.
Re: Is It Advisable To Suggest A Mental Health Assessment /test When Planning To Set by Nobody: 1:55pm On Jan 26, 2021
Karlebolu:
Sha don't kill yourself.

Buzz off!

(1) (Reply)

Three Major Reasons Why You Should Forgive Others / Yemza Elderly Care And Physiotherapy / Why Do Ladies Hate This Question?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.