Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,452 members, 7,812,383 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:31 PM

Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump (22230 Views)

Rogozin, Former Russian Deputy PM Posts Racist Photo About Lloyd Austin / Moscow Has Forgiven $23billion Debts Owed By African Countries – Putin / Trump Ordered Attack On Americans For Photo Op Swagger(must Watch) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by Nemere2020: 10:42pm On Jan 20, 2021
Nobel Laureate, Prof. Wole Soyinka, says he has forgiven Americans for electing former President Donald Trump whom he described as a “racist” and a “xenophobe”.

Soyinka said this during an interview with Arise Television on Wednesday.

The Nobel Laureate, who had in 2016 torn his American immigrant visa to shreds for voting Trump, said he would not be renewing the green card since he usually visits the United States even without it.

The playwright, who displayed pieces of his torn green card, stated that America had redeemed itself with the removal of Trump

Soyinka said, “I feel honoured to be associated with the democratic forces of the United States for correcting the unbelievable error that they committed four years ago.”

On the green card issue, he said, “I consider myself back in that community from which I dissociated myself four years ago and I am very glad to be back but I am not renewing my green card, it is not necessary. I go in and out as a visiting alien and that is good enough for me.”

The Nobel Laureate said he was very much concerned with the US elections in 2016 because the country has a huge Nigerian population, adding that America’s history would not be complete without blacks.

He said he tried to warn them about the impending danger of a Trump Presidency but his advice was ignored hence his decision to tear his green cars to shreds.

Soyinka added, “The complacency was very painful and I said if you people are so careless as to let this racist, this monster, this xenophobic aberrant, this disrespect of the female gender, this serial bankrupt, this man who called your own society a shithole country, if you are so careless as to let him become the next President, I am moving out.”

He said in a way, he was happy about the attack on the Capitol building by pro-Trump rioters. The playwright said he wanted Americans to understand how fragile democracy is.

“So, you can imagine what I have felt over the last few weeks, the siege on the Capitol. In a way it was rather heart-warming for the Americans themselves to feel that what they have been fighting for is not really a given in their society and they had to confront it in a brutal unbelievable way and they came out of it in flying colours.

“It is not over not by any means, I don’t say that for a single moment but it has been a lesson for us in this continent and we should be grateful that it did happen. I am sorry of course about the loss of life, I regret the disruption of normal life but now we are placed on the same playing level, that we are all fighting for the same virtue in human conduct, the same system we all believe in that you cannot take it for granted, not anymore and for us here in Nigeria, it has been, I hope, it was been a heart-warming occasion.”
https://punchng.com/ive-forgiven-americans-for-voting-racist-trump-soyinka/?amp=1&utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Twitter&__twitter_impression=true

22 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by femilambor007(m): 10:43pm On Jan 20, 2021
Better
Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by Golan007: 10:47pm On Jan 20, 2021
Well spoken Kongi.

10 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by AfonjaMuslim: 10:49pm On Jan 20, 2021
The same idiot that supported Buhari

191 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by inoki247: 10:49pm On Jan 20, 2021
lol buh Nigeria never forgive u for recommending the disaster we have as a president now....

Did anybody ask you for Forgiveness are you Jesus christ...

174 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by Ahmeduana(m): 10:49pm On Jan 20, 2021
But me I didn't forgive you for championing this clueless evil leader in 2015 .

122 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by Bornu1stSon(m): 10:50pm On Jan 20, 2021
This guy na fool. I swear

117 Likes 8 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by Gbogbowa: 10:53pm On Jan 20, 2021
Trump is the best that has happened to American in the last four years,sir you join to remove jonathan and install bihari here we are today,very soon the world will start having war starting from isreal,I rest my case

66 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by Nbotee(m): 10:56pm On Jan 20, 2021
And what makes U think Americans need ur forgiveness?? Imagining someone who supported d mor.ons in govt talking about Americans

84 Likes 7 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by realstars: 10:57pm On Jan 20, 2021
You Need To Get Back Your Visa Affter Isolation Frow Us Because Of Trump.

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by Golan007: 10:57pm On Jan 20, 2021
Gbogbowa:
Trump is the best that has happened to American in the last four years,sir you join to remove jonathan and install bihari here we are today,very soon the world will start having war starting from isreal,I rest my case

Without Trump in this life the whole world is doomed.

The world needs to beg Trump.

In fact, the world needs to worship him.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by Nobody: 11:01pm On Jan 20, 2021
Mr Soyinka does not know anything about politics.

For him to call Trump racists shows that he watches CNN everyday.

Anyway, i am not suprised by his comment, most academics are marxists aka liberals

19 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by Ojiofor: 11:11pm On Jan 20, 2021
Oga Soyinka Nigerians haven't forgiven you for voting Buhari in 2015.

35 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by DaddyRochie1642: 11:28pm On Jan 20, 2021
Oga Soyinka, I don't remember Americans asking for your Forgiveness grin

23 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by Nbotee(m): 12:13am On Jan 21, 2021
Golan007:

Without Trump in this life the whole world is doomed.

The world needs to beg Trump.

In fact, the world needs to worship him.

If at dis age U still reason like dis becos of the information U have been fed, ur kids are in trouble

15 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by Rossinnki: 12:18am On Jan 21, 2021
DaddyRochie1642:
Oga Soyinka, I don't remember Americans asking for your Forgiveness grin

Do you only forgive those who ask for your forgiveness?

If so, you have problems.

6 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by meobizy(f): 1:00am On Jan 21, 2021
Na him know.
Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by ekaette1621: 3:04am On Jan 21, 2021
forgive yourself first old Prof.

I laugh in Hausa

4 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by Abovebest(m): 4:27am On Jan 21, 2021
How people support Buhari and hate Trump amazes me

14 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by socialmediaman: 4:27am On Jan 21, 2021
Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by saheedbadmus(m): 4:28am On Jan 21, 2021
Lolz forgiven, baba we self for 9Ja no forgive u for supporting a certain politician here in 9Ja

2 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by jrupa(m): 4:29am On Jan 21, 2021
Wait first, I never wake up well.
Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by incogni2o: 4:31am On Jan 21, 2021
This Man wants to remain relevant.

Talk Talk Talk

instead of enjoying his retirement years in peace and severity

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by PigTormentor: 4:32am On Jan 21, 2021
AfonjaMuslim:

You mean the delusional reta@ded brainwashed IPIG terrorist monkeys?

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by preselect(m): 4:32am On Jan 21, 2021
all those intellectuals that supoorted Buhari in 2015, we will never forget. . . and me, I wont forgive angry

Soyinka
Ezekwesili
Amaechi
Okoroawusa
Ngige

These mofos are old enough to remember Buhari's first regime as a military man and they know how hopeless he is, they are also educated so I assume they have at least common sense. . . yet they sold us this abomination called Buhari.
I may forgive the little indomie generation who never knew Buhari, and have indeed realized their mistake and tried to undo it with EndSars, but for these old mofos, history will judge y'all mercilessly.

modafokas

11 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by 777ForChrist: 4:34am On Jan 21, 2021
What will he tear,for voting a Nepotistic, demonic and a Religious Bigot called Buhari?

6 Likes

Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by ObiOfOnistha: 4:35am On Jan 21, 2021
Ok
Re: Soyinka: I Have Forgiven Americans For Voting Racist Trump by favour32(m): 4:35am On Jan 21, 2021
AfonjaMuslim:
What did you say to a priceless scholar?
Faulty home training from birth.

13 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

King Juan Carlos To Leave Spain Amid Corruption Claims / Keir Stammer Kicked Out Of Pub For Supporting COVID-19 Lockdown / NATO Calls Russia Its ‘Most Significant and Direct Threat’

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.