Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,192 members, 7,818,629 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:12 PM

Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad (37884 Views)

My Nasty Experience With Nigerian In New Jersey / Why Are Nigerian Churches Abroad(mostly RCCG) Epicenters For Drama And Toxicity / Oke Osharode: Cape Verde, Travelling With Nigerian Passport May Mean Deportation (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by nnennachiji(f): 8:08am On Jan 23, 2021
I remember when my friend can to deliver her baby here
After childbirth she decided to attend the church
The first day she came she didn’t want to bother anybody and used a bus
After the service the pastor saw her with the baby and asked her how she will be going home and she said a bus
The pastor said what , made arrangement for her to be taken home and ensured there was a car to bring and take her home during her stay
As she was leaving back to Nigeria
The bought her a lot of baby clothes and stuffs that she told them to stop because no space in her luggage
Was she a member or were they expecting her to pay tithe and offering ?
Every situation varies and no situation is ever the same
Don’t put every Nigerian church down because you have not been to all Nigerian churches abroad
So all Nigerians abroad are involved in church gossip and do not have better things to do with their time.

107 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by SirToby(m): 9:51am On Jan 23, 2021
nnennachiji:
I remember when my friend can to deliver her baby here
After childbirth she decided to attend the church
The first day she came she didn’t want to bother anybody and used a bus
After the service the pastor saw her with the baby and asked her how she will be going home and she said a bus
The pastor said what , made arrangement for her to be taken home and ensured there was a car to bring and take her home during her stay
As she was leaving back to Nigeria
The bought her a lot of baby clothes and stuffs that she told them to stop because no space in her luggage
Was she a member or were they expecting her to pay tithe and offering ?
Every situation varies and no situation is ever the same
Don’t put every Nigerian church down because you have not been to all Nigerian churches abroad
So all Nigerians abroad are involved in church gossip and do not have better things to do with their time.

Alright.
Thanks for your contributions
I created this page to see different experiences from people.
Glad there are good Nigerian churches out there

13 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by Nobody: 12:30pm On Jan 23, 2021
SirToby:

Thread that I created ?

The guy no too dey alrite aswear grin grin grin grin pls ask again oh

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by Aidejay(m): 10:05pm On Jan 23, 2021
U left naija finish. Travelled abroad,
Only to go and attend a "Nigerian church"

What about all the plenty "white man churches"

Why don't you attend the white man churches, because e be like say na their own christianity be the original.

15 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by Leshurr(f): 5:25am On Jan 24, 2021
I see you referenced my thread @op lol.
Ok, so I've been to quite a number of churches abroad.. I'll share a quick summary of my impression/experiences so far:

Christ Embassy: Very cult-like, they literally worship Chris Oyakilome like a god. I've been to services where the congregation (alongside the resident pastor) just sits for the entire service, watching video clips of their 'daddy in the lord'. Then they will pressure you to purchase his books (e.g. rhapsodies of reality) They all talk and act the same way and are often fond of misquoting the Bible for selfish/ ridiculous agendas. I've personally experienced a few Christ embassy guys quote the Bible while trying to get down with me.. like wtf! .fornication doesn't seem to be a sin to them because "love" covers a multitude of sins lipsrsealed.They also tend to date and marry within the cult - you will hardly see a Christ Embassy member choosing a spouse from any other church.

KICC: This church has a reputation of being a shallow prosperity focused church but surprisingly, the members are such lovely people. Though they like to speak init lingo by force cheesy
The main headquarters tend to preach prosperity gospel a lot. However, smaller branches scattered around other cities outside London are usually very friendly and Christ focused (they may be small in congregation but are usually such a tight knitted, supportive family of believers).

RCCG: These are the absolute worst when it comes to prejudice and classism and the 'Jesus House' branch (London) is the main headquarters of such. Just make a mistake and go there dressed in a casual manner, you will regret your life! a church where intimidation thrives. Low income earners can never be given ministerial/pastoral roles. Who you are in society determines the respect you get. Positions are given to people not based on spiritual soundness but on how much you earn, package yourself and speak Christianese. I know husband beaters, wife batterers and child abusers who are currently in ministerial positions at RCCG. A male friend of mine told me of a supposed family man who is secretly a homosexual who has been appointed as a pastor at a particular branch because he is a medical doctor - he knows the man is gay because he tried to get down with him!
To sum of my point, what you will find in these churches: ungodly living, unhealthy competition, gossip, people looking down on low earners/those who don't know how to dress. Although, if you are a typical shallow minded, cunning and rugged Nigerian, you may fit right in!

Other black churches (VPA, New Wine etc..) Scandalous. very scandalous churches. Either the pastors are involved in one scandal or another, or there is heavy rumour mongering amongst the congregation.

White Baptist or Anglican Churches: Extremely boring!

White Pentecostal churches: Praise and worship is like a Mumford &Sons concert : bright lights, huge band on stage, loud music where everyone jumps up and down during service. You may come across a few black people here and there but will find that they are often disenfranchised and not properly integrated within the church community. They show acceptance to blacks but it's often shallow (if you know what I mean).

Ghanian churches (like Lighthouse): Generally ok churches. Not much drama and the true members stick together like family. You tend to find a few Nigerians in these churches as well.. the ratio would be 70% Ghanaian 30% Nigerian. If you're looking for a black church with less 9ja like dramatics, go to lighthouse. Oh and brace yourself to always shout "mercy", "preach it!" during sermon cheesy

51 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by Cousin9999: 6:07am On Jan 24, 2021
If some of you take issue with most churches, you can easily start your own.
Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by justwise(m): 6:33am On Jan 24, 2021
Cousin9999:
If some of you take issue with most churches, you can easily start your own.

Yea because it’s a business right ?

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by zorani(m): 6:43am On Jan 24, 2021
Leshurr:
I see you referenced my thread @op lol.
Ok, so I've been to quite a number of churches abroad.. I'll share a quick summary of my impression/experiences so far:

Christ Embassy: Very cult-like, they literally worship Chris Oyakilome like a god. I've been to services where the congregation (alongside the resident pastor) just sits for the entire service, watching video clips of their 'daddy in the lord'. Then they will pressure you to purchase his books (e.g. rhapsodies of reality) They all talk and act the same way and are often fond of misquoting the Bible for selfish/ ridiculous agendas. I've personally experienced a few Christ embassy guys quote the Bible while trying to get down with me.. like wtf! .fornication doesn't seem to be a sin to them because "love" covers a multitude of sins lipsrsealed.They also tend to date and marry within the cult - you will hardly see a Christ Embassy member choosing a spouse from any other church.

KICC: This church has a reputation of being a shallow prosperity focused church but surprisingly, the members are such lovely people. Though they like to speak init lingo by force cheesy
The main headquarters tend to preach prosperity gospel a lot. However, smaller branches scattered around other cities outside London are usually very friendly and Christ focused (they may be small in congregation but are usually such a tight knitted, supportive family of believers).

RCCG: These are the absolute worst when it comes to prejudice and classism and the 'Jesus House' branch (London) is the main headquarters of such. Just make a mistake and go there dressed in a casual manner, you will regret your life! a church where intimidation thrives. Low income earners can never be given ministerial/pastoral roles. Who you are in society determines the respect you get. Positions are given to people not based on spiritual soundness but on how much you earn, package yourself and speak Christianese. I know husband beaters, wife batterers and child abusers who are currently in ministerial positions at RCCG. A male friend of mine told me of a supposed family man who is secretly a homosexual who has been appointed as a pastor at a particular branch because he is a medical doctor - he knows the man is gay because he tried to get down with him!
To sum of my point, what you will find in these churches: ungodly living, unhealthy competition, gossip, people looking down on low earners/those who don't know how to dress. Although, if you are a typical shallow minded, cunning and rugged Nigerian, you may fit right in!

Other black churches (VPA, New Wine etc..) Scandalous. very scandalous churches. Either the pastors are involved in one scandal or another, or there is heavy rumour mongering amongst the congregation.

White Baptist or Anglican Churches: Extremely boring!

White Pentecostal churches: Praise and worship is like a Mumford &Sons concert : bright lights, huge band on stage, loud music where everyone jumps up and down during service. You may come across a few black people here and there but will find that they are often disenfranchised and not properly integrated within the church community. They show acceptance to blacks but it's often shallow (if you know what I mean).

Ghanian churches (like Lighthouse): Generally ok churches. Not much drama and the true members stick together like family. You tend to find a few Nigerians in these churches as well.. the ratio would be 70% Ghanaian 30% Nigerian. If you're looking for a black church with less 9ja like dramatics, go to lighthouse. Oh and brace yourself to always shout "mercy", "preach it!" during sermon cheesy

Wow, excellent. You don Waka churches O. The one you described about the church that starts with R is true. Na there I go see rubbish. Note: not all those people you see in church with big cars and dress well earn big. Trust me them fit don immerse themselves into huge debt just to show off in church. I know some of them wey I get more cash in my acct pass because me no dey pay tithe, seed or borrow or spend above my means. What am telling you is fact. As a Naija newcomer, as you hold unto Ur naija upbringing, put efforts in immersing urself in the culture and people of Ur new home. You will be surprised how fast you will grow. Every Nigerian abroad must not be doctor, nurse, care giver or engineer. Mingling with other ethnicity might not be easy but after some time you will get to understand how things work on a wider society. Join political party for grassroots if you have passport, try side business, be free and not be constantly in competition with Nigerians. Not being in a Nigerian church helps with these things

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by TrueChristians: 12:19pm On Jan 24, 2021
In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by 79733139(m): 1:25pm On Jan 24, 2021
smiley

zorani:

Wow, excellent. You don Waka churches O. The one you described about the church that starts with R is true. Na there I go see rubbish. Note: not all those people you see in church with big cars and dress well earn big. Trust me them fit don immerse themselves into huge debt just to show off in church. I know some of them wey I get more cash in my acct pass because me no dey pay tithe, seed or borrow or spend above my means. What am telling you is fact. As a Naija newcomer, as you hold unto Ur naija upbringing, put efforts in immersing urself in the culture and people of Ur new home. You will be surprised how fast you will grow. Every Nigerian abroad must not be doctor, nurse, care giver or engineer. Mingling with other ethnicity might not be easy but after some time you will get to understand how things work on a wider society. Join political party for grassroots if you have passport, try side business, be free and not be constantly in competition with Nigerians. Not being in a Nigerian church helps with these things
Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by Cousin9999: 1:39pm On Jan 24, 2021
justwise:

Yea because it’s a business right ?

I don't understand how my statement led you to that conclusion. Care to explain?

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by classicshantel(f): 4:32pm On Jan 24, 2021
Here to read the comments though.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by guru90: 4:32pm On Jan 24, 2021
Fashion sampling inside church!!!

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jan 24, 2021
well when I have gone to abroad and back Ur tell y'all my experience but for now nah this country we dey o

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by pickatyouu: 4:33pm On Jan 24, 2021
Thread for those wey dey abroad.

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by Nobody: 4:34pm On Jan 24, 2021
Nigerians carry religion for head more than any country of the world.
Trust me, if you would be going to a Nigerian church abroad, there is no difference between what you experienced in Nigeria and what you would experience out of the country.
Same backward mentality, obsession with tithes and offering, jealousy, envy, backbiting, dressing competition, my car beta pass your car, cliques etc etc etc
Worse still, popular churches like Redeem and Winners have the worst of the lot.
If you want sanity and a fresh start, don't go to a Nigerian church abroad.
I'm telling you this for free.

24 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by handsomeyitayo(m): 4:35pm On Jan 24, 2021
ednut1:
Den of gossips and envy, people nacking each other's wives/ husband, competition and back biting, pastors always want to milk you with different tithes and some have awards and special callouts for highest tithers ( na there you go know say mr sola doesn't have a mortgage but went to buy an expensive car, sister Mary is an assylum seeker using female genital mutilation formats, bro Kenneth married an old mama for papers bla bla bla)

The good side- socialization (abroad life is lonely), invites to birthday, naming and weddings etc.

Oyinbo churches are somewhat calm, they are not tithe and offering obsessed, everyone minds their own businesses.

Source - used to attend one in Birmingham back in 2006 with my mother . Stopped being religious shortly after that grin. Na scam
so this is happening there , why all this.nigerians nah wah..that y I like other countries like netherlands , switzerland ..

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by Jaqenhghar: 4:35pm On Jan 24, 2021
SirToby:

That's shocking! Same Nigeria mentality manifesting abroad.
You can take the man out of the hood but you cant take the hood out of the man

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by Golan007: 4:36pm On Jan 24, 2021
SirToby:

Thread that I created ?
Yes, but you forfeited further contribution with the hogwash you wrote.

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by emerged01(m): 4:37pm On Jan 24, 2021
nnennachiji:
I attend a Nigerian church Redeemed in Houston and is one of the best decisions ever
You can’t just conclude all Nigerian churches are bad
This particular church is a good one and really helps it’s members
They allowed my sister to bring her twins to their daycare for two years without paying
Even now what the are paying is below the normal rates
The help new immigrants to become comfortable
And can even be coming to your house to take you to church if you don’t have a car
The assist you a lot
It’s really a nice church
Even my son I have registered him to their daycare without paying but due to corona he has not been going
This church is a life saver
It’s a small church so no much gossip
I love this church
That is how church should operate,we go to church to offload some of our burdens to make it light as Jesus said,not to go church to add to our burden.
Once you notice church is adding to your problem,all you need is to Japa.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by Denique(f): 4:38pm On Jan 24, 2021
kenddys:

Bros them say you don't have anything to contribute to your own thread abeg you fit transfer op to me cheesy wink cheesy
Dead!!! grin grin grin

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by bukatyne(f): 4:38pm On Jan 24, 2021
classicshantel:
Here to read the comments though.

Let's grab our popcorn.
Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by Lomprico2: 4:38pm On Jan 24, 2021
Brightfab:

My friend go and sit down, you don't have anything to contribute to this thread.

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by iLegendd(m): 4:38pm On Jan 24, 2021
In Singapore, my Church was opposite Lee Kuan Yews' house (the greatest Prime Minister on Earth who made the country the best and safest in the world). No tall fence, no security, no noise, no loud speakers. After Church, lots of food and refreshment.

One day, I managed to go to a Nigerian Church abroad and they were too noisy, but the noise is only within. Playing music more than anything.

Get too loud and the pastor will be arrested and the Church closed. After that day, I refused attending Nigerian Churches. Below is a picture I took in Church one of those days.

I miss that Church. Pastor's extremely beautiful twin daughters kept me and my friend always going to Church. We wanted to share them, but it was as if God knew our plans and he paralyzed our mouths and when we see them, we couldn't say a word. Lol. One day, I just had to do it. You only die once.

I put $5 offering and eat food/fruit worth $50 or more. Picture of me and Naija friends standing outside the Church eating.

In summary, it was worth it.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by incogni2o: 4:38pm On Jan 24, 2021
SirToby:

Thread that I created ?
grin

3 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by Viicfuntop(f): 4:41pm On Jan 24, 2021
Attended MFM barking, London

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by ofiko123(m): 4:43pm On Jan 24, 2021
All these matter on top church, when you can comfortably convert to Buddhism...

1 Like

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by helinues: 4:44pm On Jan 24, 2021
I have never attended one before.

Funny oo
Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by CDCEO001: 4:44pm On Jan 24, 2021
In my own experience local churches abroad is better than our own Nigerian churches there.
I will stick with a local church there, forget naija church for abroad.
The only thing you will probably miss is the dancing and naija attires if you are into it.

2 Likes

Re: Share Your Experience With Nigerian Churches Abroad by seunny4lif(m): 4:45pm On Jan 24, 2021
Pls, stay away from Nigeria churches if you want peace of mind angry angry angry angry
Having been to RCCG, Christ Embassy e.t.c in Germany, Italy, and the UK
Those churches are only good for show off and bleeping each other wives
Hell no

I will say no more

10 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

West African Countries Hate Nigerians? / The Myth About Nigerians Washing Dead Bodies In The US / Passengers Die In Accident On Warri-Ughelli Expressway In Delta. Graphic Pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.