Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,761 members, 7,831,449 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:49 PM

What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? (1371 Views)

Vice President Kashim Shetima, NSA & Chief Of Defense Staff Visit Jos / Developing - Protest In Kano Was Against Chief Of Defense Staff Not Tinunbu / US Embassy Reacts To The Suspension And Replacement Of Chief Justice Of Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by ENGINEERG(m): 5:37pm On Jan 26, 2021
In Nigeria, I always see the appointed of chief of defense staff in the service chiefs, and I know is the most powerful.
But ever since, I don't see them in News or hear of what they do. Only chief of army staff, chief of Naval staff, and chief of Air staff are popular.
Even the last General Gabriel olonisakin I don't see him in any news as such.
So am asking pls, what is the work of Chief of Defense staff or its just a ceremonial position?
Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by nellyelitz(m): 5:51pm On Jan 26, 2021
Good question. And in Nigeria chief of army staff seem to be the most prominent.
Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by capatainrambo: 7:53pm On Jan 26, 2021
Chief of defence is supposed to be minister of defence. But somehow in Nigeria they re different office
Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by tutudesz: 7:56pm On Jan 26, 2021
His job is to supervise the military, Army, Air Force and Navy.
Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by Kzinne: 7:58pm On Jan 26, 2021
ENGINEERG:
In Nigeria, I always see the appointed of chief of defense staff in the service chiefs, and I know is the most powerful.
But ever since, I don't see them in News or hear of what they do. Only chief of army staff, chief of Naval staff, and chief of Air staff are popular.
Even the last General Gabriel olonisakin I don't see him in any news as such.
So am asking pls, what is the work of Chief of Defense staff or its just a ceremonial position?
Abacha was once Chief of Defense staff before he became Head of state shortly after
Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by tutudesz: 7:58pm On Jan 26, 2021
capatainrambo:
Chief of defence is supposed to be minister of defence. But somehow in Nigeria they re different office
Round the world there are chief of defence and minister of defence. America has the same, UK has the same undecided

1 Like

Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by molasautos(m): 8:00pm On Jan 26, 2021
The duty of CODS is to oversee the three arms military which is army, navy and air force

1 Like

Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by Yankee101: 8:01pm On Jan 26, 2021
Head of joint chiefs. That is all the military, air, land and sea forces
Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by fergie001: 8:10pm On Jan 26, 2021
Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by RenaissanceGuy: 8:21pm On Jan 26, 2021
Ceremonial. The main power rests with the chief of army staff.
Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by ENGINEERG(m): 10:22pm On Jan 26, 2021
Exactly
RenaissanceGuy:
Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by mike404(m): 11:19pm On Jan 26, 2021
ENGINEERG:
Exactly

Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by tutudesz: 9:46am On Jan 27, 2021
molasautos:
The duty of CODS is to oversee the three arms of the military which is army, navy and air force
Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by Sammy07: 9:50am On Jan 27, 2021
RenaissanceGuy:

You are saying rubbish.

Just Like saying a head of department in university is ceremonial while the senior lecturers have the main power.

Truth is the Chief of Army staff cannot do anything without the CDS knowing

CDS can cage or punish the COAS in many ways

3 Likes

Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by Sultannayef: 10:00am On Jan 27, 2021
Sammy07:

You are saying rubbish.

Just Like saying a head of department in university is ceremonial while the senior lecturers have the main power.

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

The CDS can’t move troops around without the chief of army staff.

In Nigeria today.. the Chief of Army Staff is way more powerful than the CDS.

The CDS has no capacity to cage the chief of army staff.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by Sammy07: 10:05am On Jan 27, 2021
[s]
Sultannayef:

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

The CDS can’t move troops around without the chief of army staff.

In Nigeria today.. the Chief of Army Staff is way more powerful than the CDS.
[/s]

What nonsense are you saying?
Lemme use University as an example.
Head of department is usually a Senior lecturer
Are you telling me Senior Lecturers are more powerful than Head of department.

Same as the military.
They're were all in the same rank before one is being promoted to CDS!

The CDS can recommend the COAS sack or retirement
The CDS can reduce the allocation of COAS

In fact the CDS can punish COAS in many ways because he's their head.

The COAS can't do anything without the CDS him dey crazy ni?

You all thought the COAS is powerful because he's more active and visible during buhari administration, why can't you use Jonathan administration where the CDS Is more visible than COAS

1 Like

Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by Sultannayef: 10:07am On Jan 27, 2021
Sammy07:

What nonsense are you saying?
Lemme use University as an example.
Head of department is usually a Senior lecturer
Are you telling me Senior Lecturers are more powerful than Head of department.

Same as the military.
They're were all in the same rank before one is being promoted to CDS!

The CDS can recommend the COAS sack or retirement
The CDS can reduce the allocation of COAS

In fact the CDS can punish COAS in many ways because he's their head.

The COAS can't do anything without the CDS him dey crazy ni?

You all thought the COAS is powerful because he's more active and visible during buhari administration, why can't you use Jonathan administration where the CDS Is more visible then COAS

I can’t argue with you because you don’t know.
Take care!!

1 Like

Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by Sammy07: 10:08am On Jan 27, 2021
Sultannayef:

Take care!!

You're clearly saying rubbish.

COAS is a department or agency under CDS

Stop saying what you don't know
Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by Sammy07: 10:14am On Jan 27, 2021
capatainrambo:

Minister of defense is an appointed post, thou I think is more higher than CDS
Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by Asgard13: 10:17am On Jan 27, 2021
Sultannayef:

Take care!!

That boy knows nothing.. but it’s everywhere

Better not to argue with him

Using university argue military .. cheesy

Even after you explained.... there’s a problem grin

1 Like 1 Share

Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by RenaissanceGuy: 10:26am On Jan 27, 2021
Sammy07:

You are saying rubbish.

In the military parlance, it's different. The CDS cannot issue an order to any of the service chiefs because they're bosses in their own rights. His role is tacitly advisory, not command. Buhari knows what he's doing.

2 Likes

Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by Sammy07: 10:30am On Jan 27, 2021
[s]
RenaissanceGuy:
In the military parlance, it's different. The CDS cannot issue an order to any of the service chiefs because they're bosses in their own rights. His role is tacitly advisory, not command. Buhari knows what he's doing.
[/s]

Buhari can give order, the CDS can give a counter order if maybe the president isn't around or sick

And dem no born COAS not to follow his order
Stop saying what you don't know.
Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by Sammy07: 10:33am On Jan 27, 2021
[s]
Asgard13:

That boy knows nothing.. but it’s everywhere

Better not to argue with him

Using university argue military .. cheesy

Even after you explained.... there’s a problem grin
[/s]

You are ignorant yet you don't wanna learn and don't know how the military works.

Or you think the COAS can visit the C in C without the CDS knowing? cheesy

Lol, the CDS has right to go to the military operations and obtain and give report to the president but dem no born COAS to go to the C - in - C without the CDS knowing about it. (Maybe except if they contact each other through calls cheesy)

You self,
Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by Asgard13: 10:43am On Jan 27, 2021
Sammy07:

You are ignorant yet you don't wanna learn and don't know how the military works.

Or you think the COAS can visit the C in C without the CDS knowing? cheesy

Lol, the CDS has right to go to the military operations and obtain and give report to the president but dem no born COAS to go to the C - in - C without the CDS knowing about it. (Maybe except if they contact each other through calls cheesy)

You self,

Trash

Ignored.
Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by Sammy07: 10:43am On Jan 27, 2021
Asgard13:

Trash

Ignored.

Cos you have nothing upstairs
Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by Asgard13: 10:47am On Jan 27, 2021
Sammy07:

Cos you have nothing upstairs

Next!
Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by RenaissanceGuy: 5:38pm On Jan 27, 2021
Sammy07:

Buhari can give order, the CDS can give a counter order if maybe the president isn't around or sick

And dem no born COAS not to follow his order
Stop saying what you don't know.
Let me wash my hands from your matter.

1 Like

Re: What Is The Work Of Chief Of Defense Staff CODS? by Asgard13: 5:45pm On Jan 27, 2021
grin
RenaissanceGuy:
Let me wash my hands from your matter.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Opinion: Why The North Is Afraid Of The Mystical Leopard Of Yoruba Land Amotekun / Throwback:35 Governors,15 Ministers, Others Purchase Dubai Properties / Herdsmen Abduct Travellers In Abuja, Kill Many

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 35
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.