Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,747 members, 7,817,061 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 02:20 AM

Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! - Travel (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! (35957 Views)

Installation Of Traffic Lights At The Omololu Olunloyo Airport Road in Ibadan / See How Lagosians Sleep In Buses On Their Way To Work In The Morning (PHOTOS) / 5 Types Of Police Vehicles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by bahvic: 10:56am On Feb 02, 2021
nice
Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by pitamah901: 10:57am On Feb 02, 2021
VaselineCrew:

bro, I was born and bred in Lagos, but also lived outside Nigeria for a while

It's just frustrating seeing laws broken and broken and broken and the enforcers just sitting down, literally.

I have no where else to voice out my complaints, it's just sad bro.

Do you know how many times someone has almost crushed me because they ran their red light as mine was green and they will just be laughing, I guess they know that there is no punishment whatsoever for their crimes, so they might as well laugh as they put everyone else in danger.

Some will even run through the RED light with GREAT speeds that you'd think their lights were green.

Accidents that could be easily avoided.

This one is just one out of over 1000 ways to die in Nigeria, avoidable death
Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by AFONJACOW(m): 10:57am On Feb 02, 2021
At times I asked myself how Nigeria system work... I have live most of my life in developing and developed countries, how things work that side and how it works in Nigeria are two opposite side.. you dare not move ur vehicle against traffic light in sane countries, they don't need to station police post there to handle you, once I cross when it's not ur turn, the camera will capture ur plate number and they will fine you heavily but here in Nigeria police are busy collecting 20 naira bribe... Useless country with useless people

3 Likes

Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by CBARRY1: 10:57am On Feb 02, 2021
pickSURE or Lienus remove this thing. . . SO MANY (LIE)MOHAMMED ON NAIRALAND.
Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by Rugaria: 10:58am On Feb 02, 2021
ryloy:

So you are blaming government for unruly citizens. Same Nigerians will get to another country and abide by rules and regulations
Can you prove that Nigerians go to other countries and behave? In China? India? Peckam? Milan? Hushpuppi? Which country are they behaving so we'll..?
Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by Nobody: 10:59am On Feb 02, 2021
Police eliza
Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by Collegelove: 11:00am On Feb 02, 2021
Nigeria has always been a laughing stock to the outside world.

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by lagdmark(m): 11:00am On Feb 02, 2021
triple996:
If the police had dealt with them you will be d wan that will kill police and shout end police angry angry
Na so. Many people want a lawless society that will function very well

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by Ghostmode2two(m): 11:00am On Feb 02, 2021
VaselineCrew:

It's just frustrating seeing laws broken and broken and broken and the enforcers just sitting down, literally.

Do you know how many times someone has almost crushed me because they ran their red light as mine was green and they will just be laughing, I guess they know that there is no punishment whatsoever for their crimes, so they might as well laugh as they put everyone else in danger.

Some will even run through the RED light with GREAT speeds that you'd think their lights were green.

Are. your government officials doing what is right? Are you doing what is right in all ramifications? Everything is upside down in this country called Nigeria. The police are angry after the #ENDSARS protest and what they suffered from the hands of the public. The zeal to work is no more there.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by chibunna60393: 11:00am On Feb 02, 2021
The ones that work the ones that dont work.
Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by SpaceAngel: 11:00am On Feb 02, 2021
There system is totally messed up. Must we be forced to obey laws. If it's not traffic light, then it's vehicle moving against traffic or reversing on highway. Who does that? We are totally crazy in this part of the world. What can the police do against unlimited number of cars.?
When people can get license to drive without understanding the way people are supposed to drive, what do we expect.?

2 Likes

Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by Farki: 11:04am On Feb 02, 2021
VaselineCrew:

The don't have to shot them though.

Why go from zero enforcement all the way to draconian punishment?

What I'm saying is just be like a half decent country, just a half decent country, chai.

A half decent country with a police force that GIVES CHASE, PULLS PEOPLE OVER, WRITES TICKETS, IMPOUNDS VEHICLES, VERIFIES LICENSES ON THE SPOT...

Not a police force that either does nothing, or goes right to the extreme to shot people due to their laziness...

and they can shoot stubborn drivers that don't want to take a ticket with a STUN GUN, which every police officer in Nigeria should have at this point if we were a half decent country.

The police will mount checkpoints but not to stop crimes like this but to collect money from innocent people.

LASTMA will allow people like this to do what they want but will collect the key of a driver who didn't settle him.

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by Farki: 11:06am On Feb 02, 2021
Kriss216:
Give Chase

When they crush innocent citizens, na you go still shout #EndPoliceBrutality.

Now, they're sitting in their van, minding their business, you're still not happy.

Does your brain have the ability to comprehend nuance or are you being dense on purpose?
Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by Farki: 11:07am On Feb 02, 2021
PissfulProtester:
God bless you. E be like say na the same mind we get. Don't mind these hypocrites

You're a blood thirsty zombie so I'm not surprised you are agreeing with your brother in being foolish and lawless
Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by Funkyswagzz(m): 11:09am On Feb 02, 2021
More of the reason why nnamdi kanu called this country a zoo
Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by MrDam(m): 11:10am On Feb 02, 2021
Just go to Allen you will see it all in the evening time
Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by Collegelove: 11:10am On Feb 02, 2021
Farki:

The police will mount checkpoints but not to stop crimes like this but to collect money from innocent people.

LASTMA will allow people like this to do what they want but will collect the key of a driver who didn't settle him.
That's why Nigeria is not good country to live in.
Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by xpee: 11:10am On Feb 02, 2021
It is no news that Lagos is the HQ of crazy driving. Most drivers have no regard for traffic laws. Impatient drivers everywhere. They will even be abusing you if you try to wait for traffic light to turn green before you move. I remember one driver and passengers telling me "Sleep there" all because i decided to follow the traffic light ooooo. The Irony of it all is that....people are just rushing to nowhere. That's why we see a lot of avoidable accidents everywhere.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by airsaylongcome: 11:14am On Feb 02, 2021
VaselineCrew:

The lights I am referring to were not malfunctioning though.

It was clear for all road users to see that the lights were cycling normally.

The Jakande ones are working fine. Just further up the road at Ikate and Chisco especially at night those lights aren't reliable
Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by Princedapace(m): 11:15am On Feb 02, 2021
osamz007:

WHAT ARE YOU SAYING, ARE TRAFFIC OFFENDERS SHOT IN OTHER COUNTRIES.. let's be reasoning abeg

Nigerians hardly obey laws and are one of the most difficult people to manage. There is this busstop I know of, the place is congested, so bike people usually stay close there and make every where to look congested and lawless. This sometimes lead to crashes.

Police have calmly told the bike people and sellers to move away from that roundabout so as to create enough space to avoid crashes. They have spoken to them calmly, but they will not obey. I mean, these police traffic workers. U know they are usually calm and never armed. They citizens never, ever listened.

At some points, the govt brought in armed soldiers who came with brutal force to chase the people away. The place got cleared for some days. The soldiers left. After some days, the people returned to that place again. The place became a mess.

The govt brought in wicked police officers led by a lady. She wasnt armed but had her wood or so. She was brutal and rugged. She hit bikes, gallant and brutal. People obeyed and left. The place became calm again. But the police team have left. The place is messed up again.

The issue is: are we supposed to behave like this? Why cant we obey laws? Must we be forced to obey laws? Nigerians are extremely difficult to manage. That is why I do not always blame these security men when they get out of control.

Why are we this hard to manage?

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by Bmaster(m): 11:15am On Feb 02, 2021
VaselineCrew:

The don't have to shot them though.

Why go from zero enforcement all the way to draconian punishment?

What I'm saying is just be like a half decent country, just a half decent country, chai.

A half decent country with a police force that GIVES CHASE, PULLS PEOPLE OVER, WRITES TICKETS, IMPOUNDS VEHICLES, VERIFIES LICENSES ON THE SPOT...

Not a police force that either does nothing, or goes right to the extreme to shot people due to their laziness...

and they can shoot stubborn drivers that don't want to take a ticket with a STUN GUN, which every police officer in Nigeria should have at this point if we were a half decent country.
even though I couldn't comprehend all you were passing to us,but I strongly concur with you on the one you said 'they can't chase people,and they gossip together inside their parked car, it's naija police,and laziness abounds in their arteries and veins,and it flows all round them body
Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by Seyzcham91(m): 11:17am On Feb 02, 2021
grin baba must have just arrived with his ghana must go bag
YoonSung81:
Is like you just came to Lagos
Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by miko1988(m): 11:17am On Feb 02, 2021
[quote author=VaselineCrew post=98656702]Yesterday in Lekki, I saw upwards of 10 cars running a certain RED light at around Jakande area while I was waiting my light to turn GREEN.

What made this especially painful is that there was a squad of police right besides the traffic light. What were they doing? They were just sitting down and gisting on their pickup.

Can you imagine? In what other country will people run red lights right in front of police and the police will just be laughing with Ak47s in their hands? and it wasn't just one car, but multiple cars totally disregarding their RED lights.

Are we so primitive that we are now totally averse to Law and Order in this land? That the police won't even make an attempt to maintain traffic rules unless at their own convenience? Unless traffic is at a standstill via checkpoints? is that they only time police would do traffic work?

Imagine how dangerous it is to be driving with confidence because the light in front of you has turned GREEN, not knowing that a MANIAC is about to smash into you because he ran his RED light and worse still police doesn't give a flying fvk

I would have taken a picture and posted here, it was such a disgusting sight as some of the cars that ran red lights drove right past the police squad.

How can we have such a useless police squad that can't even GIVE CHASE? What good is a police squad if all they do is park their car at a junction and gist inside?

What good is that?

Oh my Nigeria...

God helps us![/
Nigerians r really confuse set of people, what do you expect d police to do If dey should chase dem or try to arrest dem and anything happens, U will still be d one to shout endpolice or probably set d police men on fire ,,, useless set of citizens

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by Jbleenk: 11:19am On Feb 02, 2021
VaselineCrew:
Yesterday in Lekki, I saw upwards of 10 cars running a certain RED light at around Jakande area while I was waiting my light to turn GREEN.

What made this especially painful is that there was a squad of police right besides the traffic light. What were they doing? They were just sitting down and gisting on their pickup.

Can you imagine? In what other country will people run red lights right in front of police and the police will just be laughing with Ak47s in their hands? and it wasn't just one car, but multiple cars totally disregarding their RED lights.

Are we so primitive that we are now totally averse to Law and Order in this land? That the police won't even make an attempt to maintain traffic rules unless at their own convenience? Unless traffic is at a standstill via checkpoints? is that they only time police would do traffic work?

Imagine how dangerous it is to be driving with confidence because the light in front of you has turned GREEN, not knowing that a MANIAC is about to smash into you because he ran his RED light and worse still police doesn't give a flying fvk

I would have taken a picture and posted here, it was such a disgusting sight as some of the cars that ran red lights drove right past the police squad.

How can we have such a useless police squad that can't even GIVE CHASE? What good is a police squad if all they do is park their car at a junction and gist inside?

What good is that?

Oh my Nigeria...

God helps us!

What exactly do you expect the police to do? Chase after them? How long with they keep chasing after cars and people that break the law? Like I’ve always said, the system Nigeria is working on is flawed and unworkable.

Reason people in other countries maintain law and order is because they know they can easily be traced if they float and law. They have a workable database of everything within their boundaries. Cars can easily be traced to a particular individual, individuals can easily be traced to a particular address. I would say the process of tracing traffic offenders is, if I’m not mistaking, 80% automated. Easily put, the system is working perfectly.

What’s stopping the govt in putting mechanisms in place to forestall occurrences like you mentioned? We have leaders who are bereaved of ideas period.

Don’t blame the police blame the people in government. I once wrote to the state government, giving them ideas and solution that will put a total stop to issues like this and install orderliness but nothing was done about it.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by PervertProphet: 11:20am On Feb 02, 2021
VaselineCrew:
Yesterday in Lekki, I saw upwards of 10 cars running a certain RED light at around Jakande area while I was waiting my light to turn GREEN.

What good is that?

Oh my Nigeria...

God helps us!

My brother.

You are not the only one who is worried about the dirt, lawlessness and disorder that one experiences in Nigeria especially Lagos.

Sometimes, I am depressed about seeing grown black men passing out feaces on asphalt tarred roads directly in the middle of the road and no one can do anything about it.

I don't even want to talk about our lack of good infrastructure and an effective working transport system. You know even as a blackman. I sometimes feel like the way and impunity with which our people operate is not far from how animals live. cry cry
I sometimes wonder what visiting Europeans and Americans usually think of us. Forget all those "Motherland is beautiful" pandering that they pat us on the back with. It's embarrassing the way our cities looks and smells.

3 Likes

Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by 27Pushing30: 11:20am On Feb 02, 2021
1. I can run a light that’s just gone red (within 2 seconds)

That’s why there’s a yellow box

2. It’s mostly danfo drivers who run red lights in Lagos

3. If we had a good traffic management system people would be patient BUT when light is showing RED while on the side showing GREEN no car whatsoever has passed in a minute you begin to wonder? There should be cameras and a traffic management team somewhere observing and adjusting the lights themselves.

VaselineCrew:

What good is that?

Oh my Nigeria...

God helps us!
Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by arsenal33: 11:21am On Feb 02, 2021
VaselineCrew:

all of them will still blame the government

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by Olayetan(m): 11:22am On Feb 02, 2021
VaselineCrew:

What good is that?

Oh my Nigeria...

God helps us!

OP

Did you just arrive Lagos for the 1st time?

That has been the norm in the land of many insane people and it has affected many sane people to join the norm, I will advise you not to wait while the traffic light stops you at night cuz it’s also dangerous to stop at night for traffic light cuz robbers can come from no where and someone driving to beat the traffic light can hit you from behind also, just watch out for any car intercepting, then when the coast is clear, make your way.

This is Lagos, the city of mad people.

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by arsenal33: 11:23am On Feb 02, 2021
joshtooxplicit:

The one on bode Thomas Road signaling vehicle coming from breweries side function whenever it likes. Attimes it will be on Red and wont change attimes it will be on green when others are on green but I can tell u for Sure people obey them mostly Private cars but u see this commercial vehicles . See many things dont work in this country . Law enforcement agents have spoilt them because of exchange of bribe every now and then
and the citizens are lawless too, and will refuse to be blamed

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by Lightorder: 11:25am On Feb 02, 2021
VaselineCrew:

my brother, did you say red light? Try zebra crossing. We are still living under the stones. Even educated ones are not left out . I stood by a zebra crossing somewhere in Lagos one day. Many came and stood with me . Almost 2 minutes ,the cars were running like mad across until had to dare them by asking the people to cue behind me. That was when their madness stopped and they let us cross.

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by Olayetan(m): 11:28am On Feb 02, 2021
Lightorder:
my brother, did you say red light? Try zebra crossing. We are still living under the stones. Even educated one are also in it. I stood by a zebra crossing somewhere in Lagos one day. Many came and stood with me . Almost 2 minutes ,the cars were running like mad across until had to dare them by asking the people to cue behind me. That was when their madness stopped and they let us cross.

Lolz

They even let you cross, those ones are actually insanely sane, if it were to be the insanely insane ones, you will have to sprint to cross through the zebra crossing...

1 Like

Re: Lagosians Running Traffic Lights Right In Front Of Police; Disgusting! by Towerex(m): 11:33am On Feb 02, 2021
Police sef na human being.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Largest Yoruba Settlement In Togo - Atakpame / Lagos-Ibadan Railway: This Is The True Story - TrackaNG / Nigerian Drug Mule Dies At Madrid Airport Terrified Staff Thought He Had Ebola

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 78
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.