Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,193,939 members, 7,952,784 topics. Date: Thursday, 19 September 2024 at 12:40 AM

Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders (8444 Views)

Breaking News: Gbagbo Arrested. / Ouattara Fighters Seize I.coast Capital, Few Hours Left For Gbagbo / The Ivory Coast Crisis - Another Perspective (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by xterra2(m): 10:23pm On Apr 05, 2011
tunnytox:

The French want Quattara in power at all costs obviously to protect their economic interest and that the reason they decided to bomb the presidential palace to assist the rebels to finish the job. as far as i'm concerned the election was not conclusive and I still don't know who gave the UN the mandate to declare a winner in an election that was conducted within that country. Quattara is not a saint, he has so much blood in his hands and will definitely work continuosly to the advantage of his masters (France). Time will tell

Very True you and Tunnytox are wise, you see behind the lines

this is bad
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by Beaf: 10:33pm On Apr 05, 2011
"I'm not a kamikaze. I love life. My voice is not the voice of a martyr, no, no, no, I'm not looking for death. It's not my aim, to die,"

-Gbagbo

http://af.reuters.com/article/ivoryCoastNews/idAFLDE7342AA20110405?sp=true

. . .But its ok for your people to die like chickens? Someone should forward the beast to the Hague.
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by superboi(m): 10:35pm On Apr 05, 2011
spartanian:

this is what selfishness causes
This is not selfishness, but stupidity and greed of france and the UN!!! the conducted an election in a country that was ethnically divided and both side armed!! what did the expect? that even if the first result had said Gbagbo won That Quattara would accept(he refused the election result that declared Gbagbo president in 2000, and him and his "people started a war since 2002.) the only reason that Quattara forces have gone this far is because the west have backed and armed them against their southern brothers and as soon as the west relaxes their presence the south will probably arm from the east(china/russia, who are at the side line watching as UN is fastly losing it moral currency),
And remeber even though the elction result was the truth, Gbagbo has almost the same amount of adult vote as Quattara(i.e 46% to 50%) and when you add error it almost amount to the same thing.
The UN has created another Congo.
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by hackney(m): 10:36pm On Apr 05, 2011
The truth is that monkeys dont give up their territory without a fight.
if you disagree, watch national geographic.
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by designfemi(m): 10:39pm On Apr 05, 2011
what happens to the chaos he had caused the used to be quite country.
He is suppose to be killed too[color=#990000][/color]
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by Ndipe(m): 10:48pm On Apr 05, 2011
Whether the French want Ouattra or not, let him be the president, because the people voted for him over Gbagbo
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by malali: 11:12pm On Apr 05, 2011
what if GEJ decides to do a 'gbagbo' after he loses to buhari smiley
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by FEMARY(m): 11:13pm On Apr 05, 2011
Why does the fool want to resign now after causing so much of bloodshed because of selfish ambition.The daft gbagbo(small letters) should be -------- i dont want to say it
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by superboi(m): 11:16pm On Apr 05, 2011
Ndipe:

Whether the French want Ouattra or not, let him be the president, because the people voted for him over Gbagbo
When people like you realize that transplanting western system to people with different values and customs is like giving a goat a human heart or vice versa then we would have a Government models that works. This western democracy thing can't work in our society not because we are less or more superior, but it not just our thing.
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by 4Runner: 11:22pm On Apr 05, 2011
According to Aljazeera, Gbagbo hasn't stepped down.
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by ufumes(m): 11:25pm On Apr 05, 2011
Am just glad that he is ready to surrender now, though at the price of lots of blood
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by otokx(m): 11:50pm On Apr 05, 2011
Gbagbo will get what Gbagbo deserves. Shame to Africa, bigger shame to ECOWAS; only noise they can make.
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by JahLove1: 12:06am On Apr 06, 2011
African leaders are always very difficult to relinquish power to others if defeated. Very selfish indeed,
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by Ndipe(m): 12:37am On Apr 06, 2011
superboi:

When people like you realize that transplanting western system to people with different values and customs is like giving a goat a human heart or vice versa then we would have a Government models that works. This western democracy thing can't work in our society not because we are less or more superior, but it not just our thing.

So, which is the best form of political government might be best suited to the interests of Africa?
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by Rossikk(m): 12:42am On Apr 06, 2011
Fhemmy said:

I wonder why is always hard for the blacks to give up power . . .

If you had a working brain, your question will be directed at dozens of long-serving ARAB dictators currently under siege by their people, NOT ''blacks''.

aribasala said:

black man

You, stuppid man. Use your brain and come out with something more thoughtful.

tunnytox said:

Most of the posts here shows that many have not taken their time to read about Ivorian crisis before making a comment, someone said he should be tried for war crimes, what about Quatarra?
what about over 900 people massacred by his troops in just few days ago?
did Quatarra really win the election?
are there  concrete proofs that the election were not rigged in the rebel controlled north as alleged by Gbagbo?
why can't the UN take time to investigate all these allegations in the first place?
what is an elected man doing with the rebels?
why was he supported by the rebels? or has he been part of the rebels for so long?
Why did the UN placed an arm embargo on Gbagbo but allowed the rebels to operate?
Why was an election conducted in the first place without first ensuring a disarment of the rebels which was fighting against an elected government?

There are more to this than just a sit tight dictator fighting at all cost to rule forever, there is no doubt that many Ivorians too are sceptical about Quatarra and what he and his rebel army stands for.
Anyone who fails to see this situation beyond just a Gbagbo/Quatarra issue is shallow minded and must have been brainwashed by the imperialists media.

Thank you. Are you minding these thoughtless elements? Since when did you expect them to actually use their brains and read underneath the news and propaganda thrown at them by the western media? These are the same thoughtless people that will vilify Bob Mugabe, whom clued up people KNOW to be an African hero, having regained for the black majority, possession of their land and mineral resources, previously cornered by a white minority. Then made out to be a monster by the western media after having western economic sanctions imposed on him in retaliation, which he and his people have survived.
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by vladimiros: 12:50am On Apr 06, 2011
seriously,

this is where i think Nigerian diplomats have excelled big time

when i see libya and now Ivory Coast i just imagine us in this situation

and if we get stubborn the west who know the value of our oil would not sit down too

i just hope for change
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by Makbo: 1:40am On Apr 06, 2011
No, Not at all !!! President Laurent Gbagbo will NEVER step down under anyone pressure. He is a freedom fighter refusing any comprimises with the colonialist french government, he is  not a coward. You don't know that man. 

Nigerians, unfortunately you are very misinformed about what's going on in Cote d'Ivoire even being in the same sub-region.  Please stay humble and pray until the end of your elections because we, Ivorians, perfectly know about  what Goodluck, Sarkozy and Obama are conspiring for the upcoming presidential elections. It is a sheer devilish plan to take over the Guinea Gulf !!!  I have been warning you about that for quite long. Beware Nigerians! 

Please read carefully this document

http://rt.com/news/cote-ivoire-gbagbo-un/
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by kcjazz(m): 1:45am On Apr 06, 2011
As usual blame the West for everything undecided .
I thought he was a tough boy. He could have avoided bloodshed, negotiated a long time ago and even seek reelection at some point.

Apart from Drogba grin (if I can give him that), What has Mr Gbagbo achieved in IVC since 2000, that should be the criteria for analyzing him.

During his negotiations, I hope the UN gives Mr. Gbagbo a false sense of freedom, Charge him in a few years like Charles Taylor for crimes against humanity. A good leader should protect his followers period. And I hope Mr. Quatara is learning,
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by Makbo: 2:20am On Apr 06, 2011
kcjazz:

As usual blame the West for everything undecided .
I thought he was a tough boy. He could have avoided bloodshed, negotiated a long time ago and even seek reelection at some point.

Apart from Drogba grin (if I can give him that), What has Mr Gbagbo achieved in IVC since 2000, that should be the criteria for analyzing him.

During his negotiations, I hope the UN gives Mr. Gbagbo a false sense of freedom, Charge him in a few years like Charles Taylor for crimes against humanity. A good leader should protect his followers period. And I hope Mr. Quatara is learning,
s
Your post reflects an incredible ignorance of the ivorian crisis, but also an illeteracy in term of westerners agenda in Africa. Please open widely your eyes it's coming straight to Nigeria now. We know about that desastrous agenda of France/USA in Guinea Gulf headed by Obama and Sarkozy with their naive complicit GEJ. Oh yes, we know about it !
Did you know that french military action in Ivory Coast yesterday killed 2307 innocent civilians? Did you know that president Gbagbo's village has been bombed and burnt yesterday by french helicopters ? Did you know about their shadow play? You will never see that anywhere any western media. I am not here for useless debate. You don't know the francophone terrain. We do. We'll take an appointment after Nigerian presidential elections.
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by Emperoh(m): 2:33am On Apr 06, 2011
Rossikk:

Fhemmy said:

If you had a working brain, your question will be directed at dozens of long-serving ARAB dictators currently under siege by their people, NOT ''blacks''.

aribasala said:

You, stuppid man. Use your brain and come out with something more thoughtful.

tunnytox said:

Thank you. Are you minding these thoughtless elements? Since when did you expect them to actually use their brains and read underneath the news and propaganda thrown at them by the western media? These are the same thoughtless people that will vilify Bob Mugabe, whom clued up people KNOW to be an African hero, having regained for the black majority, possession of their land and mineral resources, previously cornered by a white minority. Then made out to be a monster by the western media after having western economic sanctions imposed on him in retaliation, which he and his people have survived.

I am really not impressed with the way you have chosen to address this issue in as much as i buy so much into your idea. Insulting people who do not see things your way doesn't present you as a person with an intention to 'enlighten'. The way they have argued and the way you have argued equally haven't shown equally any particular depth to the issue but merely someone taking a different view to an issue and then being unnecessarily angry to with other people's views.

You see, much as i strongly detest the imperialism and bias being unabashedly portrayed by the west, i still blame most African and Arab leaders for giving the west an instrument to fight them. You could well see issues of sit-tight, dictatorship and high-handedness and you are asking yourself if they are really fighting for their people?

My dear, it is just a cocktail of selfish interests masquerading as public interests just to get a personal hold on a country's natural resources for themselves and their cronies. If they were so much as fighting for the people, i ask, why not groom a person of equal or like mind and get him or her to take over when his tenure is done.

But we see constitution amendment and unnecessary media propaganda when the time to step aside comes. African leaders need to learn and become more intelligent. The Western Media is so strong that people latch on to it for information- dependency theory- to get by politically. It is therefore left for them to realise the likely scenarios that will play out and avoid them. They are the ones who will open up themselves to these people in the first instance and neglect their people? You cited the case of Mugabe and am wondering what a leader still has to offer after 31 years!!! Is there no other person in the whole of Zimbabwe who can do much better than he can while maintaining the anti-imperialism stance he has?

It is still African leaders who invite and partner with these westerners. Why do they loot us blind? Why are they even the first to get information not available to local journalists? If we can't rise above pecuniary interests and fight for a common good, the imperialists will keep latching on to bad governance to return to Africa. Our leaders need to be more intelligent than they currently are!!
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by adros84(m): 2:52am On Apr 06, 2011
African leaders do not easily give up power because it is not in our tradition to do so. African traditional rulers do not give up power, they die on the throne. It is that mentality that has been transferred to the political arena. To the African traditional ruler, it is better to die than to be referred to as 'former or ex ruler'.
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by kcjazz(m): 2:52am On Apr 06, 2011
Makbo:

s
Your post reflects an incredible ignorance of the ivorian crisis, but also an illeteracy in term of westerners agenda in Africa. Please open widely your eyes it's coming straight to Nigeria now. We know about that desastrous agenda of France/USA in Guinea Gulf headed by Obama and Sarkozy with their naive complicit GEJ. Oh yes, we know about it !
Did you know that french military action in Ivory Coast yesterday killed 2307 innocent civilians?  Did you know that president Gbagbo's village has been bombed and burnt yesterday  by french helicopters ?  Did you know about their shadow play? You will never see that anywhere any western media. I am not here for useless debate. You don't know the francophone terrain. We do. We'll take an appointment  after Nigerian presidential elections.

And who is to blame for the killings?
Whether you like it or not, the end day for Mr Gbagbo is near. That is the most important thing to me. People have died, many refugees in Liberia (a poor country itself) all because one man stubbornly refused to step aside after ruling for 10 years.

Mr Gbagbo himself at one point in time has rubbed minds with the French so he has no moral justification to blame what is happening on the French. I value human life and if my ambition will cause even the death of one I will re-evaluate my stands and step aside, French conspiracy or not, it is what a good leader should do.
You claim you understand International politics and you post a link from Russian government. Really? Russia?
Nigeria's election will probably be flawed (that is why we never went ahead with our ECOWAS threat) but whoever it is that needs to leave for peace to reign must live.

Am not here to debate on uselessness either, am tired of Africans blaming the West for their problems
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by ngodus: 4:05am On Apr 06, 2011
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by jawjaw1: 5:38am On Apr 06, 2011
I thought the man said he would never surrender. The time has come and he can't die fighting for what he believes in yet he allowed a war to rage on and consume innocent civilians. Gbagbo is nothing but a typical chicken livered-sit tight african leader who will normally make all the noise when he has the oppurtunity and crumble when the chips are down.

What surprises me most is our attitude to blame Europe and America everytime we have a problem in Africa. We shout western Imperialism when we look for an excuse and can't find one.

Gbagbo has been in power since 2000 (over 10 years) and what has he achieved within this period? Was he not supposed to negotiate peace and unite his country men in the 10 years if he really cared about them?

If he really didnt lose the 2010 election, was his ambition to remain president worth the war and resulting deaths of his people? ECOWAS and AU leaders negotiated several times with him to find a political solution and the man refused blatantly each time and yet we blame western imperialist.

It only takes a blind and selfish man like Gbagbo not to realise that when the world is against you, you can never win. The UN had declare that Ouattara won the elction, the EU and America agreed with them. Even his fellow African leaders had followed suit and yet the man still clung to power like it was his birth right. Thats pure foolishness and high level stupidity. As far as I am concerned the man should not be allowed to go free. He should pay for allowing this war to happen and for the deaths of his fellow Ivoriens who did not deserve to die because of his greed and selfishness.

The only way to fight the so called Western Imperialism is to build your economy to match their own and unite your people. With your people solidly behind you you can then fight the west with your economy and economic fundamentals. If you attempt to go to war with them you will NEVER win. They have the money to fund a war that will last several years and are way ahead technologically especially in war technology. They will come to your land and test their new bombs, fighter jets amd war equipment knowing fully well that they had previously sold older versions to you (they also intend to sell these new war equipments to you later). At the end of the war, when they have damage your country and its infrastructure with their bombs, they will recoup their war expenses from your economy which means you have lost two times over (Iraq and Libya are simple examples).
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by igboboy1(m): 6:56am On Apr 06, 2011
bleeping FRENCH , MEn I swear that effing Ouattara is a french pawn, I'll only respect him after he puts gbagbo in jail and kick the french out, ah ah, its obvious the french was part of this freaking conflict
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by Dede1(m): 7:03am On Apr 06, 2011
Africans shall remain “mumu” for a very long time. Democracy is the tool of neo-colonialism in 21st century as Christianity and Civilization were tools of colonialism in 19th century. When did it become the function of UN to conduct and announce the election results of sovereign nations?
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by deelobe: 7:05am On Apr 06, 2011
xterra2 thank you I was wondering too because I have been following the politics in Ivory Coast. Gbagbo's tenure was made unbearable by France because he refused to succumb to their wishes. If you have been to French Africa you will observe something the leaders are only stooges for France. SO the issue of Gbagbo did not start with the election its been long. That is why Quatrra who is a known rebel was sponsored by these people. They didnt care what happens to the people.

Let us wait and see what will happen
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by Roforofo(m): 7:22am On Apr 06, 2011
It is sad that this buffoon Gbagbo ran to hide in the French Ambassador's residence when he realized he was about to be defeated and killed, the same way Babangida took his wife to America for treatment when she was dying, the same way Gaddaffi has billions stashed away in Europe and million pound mansions in England. Africans just like deceiving themselves, our leaders all claim th e West is plotting against them but they always keep their loot, build their mansions, send their kids to school and seek medical treatment in this same West. No wonder anyone with half a brain does not believe them and leaves that cursed continent behind. I love my family and friends but me and my children will never ever live in Nigeria and I have advised them to accept Europe as their new homeland, they can visit Nigeria but as long as it continues to be ruled by thieves and thugs they should never go back. I certainly will not.
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by superboi(m): 7:47am On Apr 06, 2011
Ndipe:

So, which is the best form of political government might be best suited to the interests of Africa?
For us to know the best form of Government we would(African countries) first have to have a national/ethnicity talks in all our various countries. Fact is most elections in the past decade have been contested in almost all African countries where they have a plurality of ethnic groups/cultures and were the population of this divide is a almost a balanced equilibrium (as in CIV). The fact is that If the UN had even declared Gbagbo the winner, Quattara would not have accepted the result as he did at 2000. That why I think the problem is not Going to be solved by demonizing people but getting to the root of the problem, which is to redifine and restructure the nature of the present African states.
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by Makbo: 7:50am On Apr 06, 2011
President Gbagbo is giving an insightful lesson to all african politicians: he is not hanging to power but to democratic principles. Gbagbo has been  lawfully declared president by the ivorian Supreme Court, and there is no doubt upon that hence the northern controlled rebel stronghold rigged massively for Ouattara with french army collaboration.  How come France can come up fooling the Supreme Court of an african sovereign country pretending Ouattara won. They dare bombing that country amid african approval, wich is very unfortunate. That is a dangerous precedent for Africa seeking democracy.  But also be mindful that Gbagbo has been elected by Ivorians who laid their hope into him. They come like that asking him to step down. For what sake? Who are they? Why they are not asking Ouattara to abandon his ambition? The reason is quite simple: they are lot of capitalistic interets in play. We are in Guinea Gulf with lot of oil and gas reserves. Tomorow, when they will steal and exhaust our wealth will you Africans be complaining about lagging behind all the nations on earth?  Is it our fate to be at the bottom of humanity?      

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T57CSvZF6BM
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by Nobody: 8:02am On Apr 06, 2011
Dont crucify him yet, me and you all do it. When playing football, in naija, and d game gets so sweet and intense, and ur opponent scores a clear goal, we use power plays, stronghead, we just find one excuse not to leave. In africa this is how we do, It's a game. We are africans, africans, ahuu!
Re: Ivory Coast’s Gbagbo Surrenders by wealthlift(m): 8:16am On Apr 06, 2011
Woe to the sit tight thief

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Cash For What?. . . / Russia Invades Georgia - Guardian UK / Taiwan Lawmakers Fight Over Nuclear Plant Bill

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.