Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,195 members, 7,822,038 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 03:26 AM

Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? (28829 Views)

Fact Check: Does President Buhari Shake Hands With Women? / Nigeria Has More Extreme Poverty Than India & China Combined - Bloomberg / 91 Million Nigerians Now Living In Extreme Poverty - World Poverty Clock (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by Nigbedefunke: 9:37pm On Feb 03, 2021
Ok
Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by pfadom: 9:37pm On Feb 03, 2021
This Peter Obi uses both accurate and inaccurate statements to discredit Nigeria to be politically correct even when it is glaring he is wrong.

1 Like

Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by Magldsns: 9:37pm On Feb 03, 2021
Aii
Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by UncommonLogic: 9:37pm On Feb 03, 2021
Obituary is a known and confirmed liar.
Himtoolie na China man..

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by Nobody: 9:37pm On Feb 03, 2021
I don't care which has more poor people, Nigeria or India?

But I know that Nigeria and India are in the same league of development.

Nigerians expect Nigeria to be a Denmark, Switzerland or Norway.

But Nigeria will always go in line with India, Thailand, Lebanon, etc

The richest Indians are wealthier than the richest Danish and Norwegians but the latter have a conducive society. That is the same thing applicable in Nigeria.

A society with poor infrastructure is necessarily not a society with a poor economic power.

Like Nigerians, Indians have the opportunity to change their destinies but the primitive and lazy citizens outnumber the hardworking ones.

5 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by aryzgreat: 9:38pm On Feb 03, 2021
Keep deceiving yourself.

He said over 50℅ of Nigerians are living in poverty and the figure quoted is a little over 90m Nigerians out of roughly 200m. This is how the 50℅ was gotten.

For India, 103m out of over 1billion is living in poverty.

Now do ratio of Persons living in poverty in both countries compared to the population and see the reality.

90m:200m for Nigeria

103m: 1Billion people for India. (10℅ of the population)

The so called fact u quoted said 3℅ of of Chinese live in poverty. Add 3℅ Chinese to like 10% Indians. You get like 13℅ of 2.8Billion people.

Compare to Nigeria's 50℅ of 200m people.

Now who is lying?

Obi said India and China have pulled people out if poverty and that is true.

Is Nigeria pulling ppl out of poverty with 5k payment that is not enough for a pot of soup?

Take the message and forget about the messenger

25 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by Lagoon0: 9:39pm On Feb 03, 2021
sapphiere:
No! Nigeria has more females doing making us proud.
Why spamming? If you have sense plz do use it
Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by lapazi(m): 9:39pm On Feb 03, 2021
Obi goofed on this one

1 Like

Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by xynerise: 9:40pm On Feb 03, 2021
Is this a " Who suffer pass?" Competition?
Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by XplicitSD(m): 9:40pm On Feb 03, 2021
Yes Nigeria has more than India

3 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by psucc(m): 9:41pm On Feb 03, 2021
Op, your analysis is faulty taking the ratio ofnthe number not the poor against the overall population. Nigeria will maintain that title for next foreseeable future.

6 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by Dotunking01: 9:41pm On Feb 03, 2021
Fat cheeks
Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by Lagoon0: 9:42pm On Feb 03, 2021
chumada:
yes, I serviced in the North and tour almost all the northern States due to the nature of my job.... The rate of poor people is high... South west own is worst seeing a healthy thug begging for small money makes me wonder if they're mentally OK angry

I won't reply any mention angry
True words my man. The east is nothing to write home about, so many poor people living proud

2 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by sircatherine45(m): 9:42pm On Feb 03, 2021
"Although, World Poverty Clock does not have specific statistics on the poverty level on China, its country card for China shows that less than 3% of the country’s population live in extreme poverty."

This is deep. It means NO poverty in China.

Religion 0

Common sense 1

3 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by globemoney: 9:43pm On Feb 03, 2021
dhardline:
[s]Shame on you OP. You just rushed here to say India could not get proper data dues to poverty, does Nigeria have proper data for anything? Anything at all. It had to take an international organization to tell us that Nigeria has more than 10million children out of school. You go to the streets and people are literally complaining, the price of every single thing has increased and you have the mouth to come and be dragging poverty level. Chai. undecided You see all this urchins who's job is to to whitewash their pay Master, may God visit you people with problems your pay Master cannot solve.[/s]
Shame on you and peter obi. liars
Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by Lexusgs430: 9:43pm On Feb 03, 2021
Nah competition for the best poverty country of the world ....... 9ja must not carry last........ wink

9ja is the poorest country, with one of the highest paid legislators in the world....... Truly a shame.....
Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by Tonymario58: 9:44pm On Feb 03, 2021
Imagine what we're arguing.
Op you are an idiot and illiterate. Your are supposed to lose your job as an e-urchin.
You are doing fact check for 46% of Nigerians in extreme poverty and 7.6% of Indians in extreme poverty.

Your head is for carrying loads.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by tit(f): 9:44pm On Feb 03, 2021
India no get oil ooo.

1 Like

Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by dhardline(m): 9:45pm On Feb 03, 2021
globemoney:

Shame on you and peter obi. liars

Don't worry your punishment is coming!Don't stop supporting thieves in power, you will eat the pain and it will fill your belly.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by Duridadi: 9:45pm On Feb 03, 2021
sapphiere:
No! Nigeria has more females doing making us proud.
.... Get set! readyyyyyy !.......

Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by Ozinlex: 9:46pm On Feb 03, 2021
Whoever came up with this fact check need to check further.
What is the population of India to Nigeria?

India is over a billion and Nigeria is a little below 200million.

Now the fact-checker says over 150k out of over a billion lives in poverty in India and in Nigeria over 95k out of 200million.

Now critically analysed the above scenarios to tell me where there is more poverty because as far as I am concerned...there is more poverty in Nigeria.

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by ursamajor: 9:46pm On Feb 03, 2021
Also, India's population is at least ten times that of Nigeria, therefore Nigeria has more people living in extreme poverty per thousand compared to India

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by DesChyko: 9:46pm On Feb 03, 2021
undecided
Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by DaddyGngeess(m): 9:48pm On Feb 03, 2021
For now I don't know, but 2001 when I traveled to India, I think Nigeria was better than India then
Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by TinubuGoQuench(f): 9:49pm On Feb 03, 2021
chumada:
yes, I serviced in the North and tour almost all the northern States due to the nature of my job.... The rate of poor people is high... South west own is worst seeing a healthy thug begging for small money makes me wonder if they're mentally OK angry

I won't reply any mention angry
Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by DesChyko: 9:51pm On Feb 03, 2021
globemoney:

Verdict
Obi’s claim is untrue

Oh really?
At any point in this analysis, did it cross the OP mind to factor this as a percentage of the actual population of both countries?

4 Likes

Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by Uchemus(m): 9:52pm On Feb 03, 2021
Omo. See wetin buhari miscreants dey argue, whether we be 1st or 2nd for poverty. Tueh.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by globemoney: 9:53pm On Feb 03, 2021
aryzgreat:
[s]Keep deceiving yourself.

He said over 50℅ of Nigerians are living in poverty and the figure quoted is a little over 90m Nigerians out of roughly 200m. This is how the 50℅ was gotten.

For India, 103m out of over 1billion is living in poverty.

Now do ratio of Persons living in poverty in both countries and see the reality.

90m:200m for Nigeria

103m: 1Billion people for India.

The so called fact u quoted said 3℅ of of Chinese live in poverty. Add 3℅ Chinese to like 10% Indians. You get like 13℅ of 2.8Billion people.

Compare to Nigeria's 50℅ of 200m people.

Now who is lying?

Obi said India and China have pulled people out if poverty and that is true.

Is Nigeria pulling ppl out of poverty with 5k payment that is not enough for a pot of soup?

Take the message and forget about the messenger[/s]
Re: Fact Check: Does Nigeria Have More People Living In Extreme Poverty Than India? by mcgaius: 9:53pm On Feb 03, 2021
What the OP need is a mathematical background to understand what Obi meant.E.g consider a family of 100 people with which has 20 poor people and another family of 20 with 10 poor people.Which family has higher percentage of people leaving in poverty?of course the family of 20 because 50% of their population are leaving in poverty only 20 percent of the family of 100 are leaving in poverty.Simple maths.

9 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

Kwankwaso Flies Jet To Visit Ganduje (Photos) / Breaking: Senator George Sekibo Wins As PDP Thrashes APC / Corpses Of Dalori Quarters Suicide Bomb Blast Victims Evacuated (Pics)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.