Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,152 members, 7,818,478 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 04:55 PM

Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church - Religion (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church (38844 Views)

Holy Aruosa Cathedral Is The Oldest Church In West Africa 1517 In Benin City / Masquerade Praying At The Grotto Of Holy Mary (Photo, Video) / I was The Chief Priest Of BlackAxe At UNILORIN - Pastor Fatoyinbo (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by wink2015(m): 8:27am On Feb 05, 2021
Umm

Soldier go Soldier Come

Barrack remain
Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by Prechgold1180(m): 8:27am On Feb 05, 2021
[quote author=Vivian16 post=98759660][/quote]
Dey don’t use bible der it’s just like a traditional temple disguising as a church

And ordinary people cannot worship der
It is meant for native doctors chiefs kings enogie and so on

Just take out time and do a good research about holy arousa
Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by vioment: 8:28am On Feb 05, 2021
Na Halloween dey shak this one.

Fg need to use this opportunity to cut him masquerade wings.

Begin by seizing any land wey e get from people by force, then graduate to currently disputed land issues; then graduate to historical proof of land wey no get issues. If him wan play that audio of say one yeye history be like this or that, chance am. Take am go court, make he proof am. No be audio Mata. No seize him current palace sha.

After that, defund am.

Daily masquerade man , what right he get when state leader and lga no get mouth, without due cause.
Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by sojfarm: 8:33am On Feb 05, 2021
Is the church Church of Christ or church of darkness!!!
Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by ofuonyebi: 8:37am On Feb 05, 2021
Those fetish minister who believe the can dine with the devil using a longer spoon...
only realizes later so regrettably that the devils spoon is always everywhere you go
The Oba's institution is not separated fro the idols deity where the devils kingdom is supreme..

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by Gmajor(m): 8:38am On Feb 05, 2021
milann:
What business does the heathen have with the church. Is the oba a christian? This is quite absurd
Holy Arosa is not a Christian Church
Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by engrsyer(m): 8:38am On Feb 05, 2021
Etinosa1234:
That church was been established during the time of Oba Esigie by the Portuguese...

It was the Benin way of Christianity
Are they praying with the name of JESUS or their is another name that they call?

I need to know more about this Church.
Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by Briteiyobo1(m): 8:40am On Feb 05, 2021
you are not a serious fellow. for your information Holy Aruosa is a traditional church it is the oldest in Nigeria.
obonujoker:
Huh??
Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by Akaegwu(m): 8:46am On Feb 05, 2021
engrsyer:
Are they praying with the name of JESUS or their is another name that they call?

I need to know more about this Church.
No. They pray directly to God.

3 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by Akaegwu(m): 8:47am On Feb 05, 2021
Explains Why Elders Are Chosen As Choir Members
FAVOUR PERCY-IDUBOR/ BENIN CITY

In the heart of the ancient city of Benin, Edo State capital, along Akpakpava Street, precisely, is situated a church, Holy Arousa , that is unique in its doctrine as it is in respect of its doxology; it is a shrine (holy place of worship) where the Omo N’ Oba Ne’ Edo Uku Akpolokpolo, Oba of Benin, worships.

It is indeed, a unique church, where Christians, Muslims and traditional worshipers come together to worship, with Har­rison Okao, the Ohen- Osa interpreted literally as the priest of god) as the presiding priest.

Holy Aruosa is a combination of English and Bini word. Holy, as it implies, means to be pure, while Aruosa is a place or site of worshipping God.

It was founded in 1506 by Oba Esigie (Son of Queen Idia) . Originally, its service was conducted on Eke market days (which was considered a sacred day to almost all indigenous black African societies) but following the inconveniences being experienced by the working class, members, the service was later changed to Sunday which is work-free for public officers and many others.

Its activities are centered on Bini language. Over the years, the prominence, growth and expansion of Holy Aruosa, whose geographical spread once cut across Edo State, Cross Rivers, Western parts of Nigeria and indeed parts of Dahomey (pres­ent day Republic of Benin), has been adversely affected by western civilization and the Nigerian Civil War of 1967-1970.

Besides, the gross impact of British expedition of 1897 (which prompted the eventual expulsion of Oba Ovorawmen N’Ogbasi to Calabar, the present day Cross River State capi­tal)also had multiple ripple negative effects on Holy Aruosa. However, it was subsequently rebuilt by Oba Akenzua when he ascended the throne in 1933.

The Oba of Benin is the head of the church, the crown prince (heir apparent)is number two, while the Ohen Osa (the priest) is the number three in hierarchical order of prominence. These are the only permanent positions in the church.

The selection of the priest is done by God (it’s spiritual) and the Oba must approve of the person before he can take office. Aruosa is a place where the Oba and his palace chiefs and their family members worship.

The Church, said to be the oldest in Africa, was established by the Portuguese before they started the Roman Catholic and other churches. Today, it is common to see tourists from America and Europe visiting the church, partly out of curiosity. Their visits no doubt, is usually to see the first church in Nigeria, which, according to them, is unique in many ways and has been expanding over the years.

According to Harrison Okao, the Ohen- Osa, or Chief Priest of the church, who has been in the church since 1991 as a member and since 2005 as the presiding priest, the church was founded as a place to worship God directly without pass­ing through any intermediary.

In his words, “We don’t pray through Jesus Christ not because we are against Jesus; we don’t pray through Moham­med not because we are against Mohammed and we don’t also pray through the deities like Olokun, Ogun, Sango and all others, not because we are against them but because we believe that God existed before their existence. Therefore, if you want anything from your father, you ask him directly, rather than going through an intermediary.”

He explained that Holy Aruosa is a place where anybody can come to worship, irrespective of tribe or religion. his words, “If you are a Christian, you can come here and worship; if you are a Muslim, you can come here to worship and if you are a traditional worshipper, you are also free to worship at the church. The only difference is that most of the religions pray through an intermediary but in Holy Aruosa we pray directly to God.”

On how the church conducts its worship, the priest said, “We start the day’s service with purification, opening song otherwise known as “Ohenosa muegbugie. After that, we say the opening prayers before we pray for the Oba of Benin; pray for the heir apparent to the throne, which is the Omo N’ Oba’s first son; we pray for the other Oba’s children both at home and abroad, pray for the palace, the chiefs, the government of the day, starting from the president, the governors, local government chairmen, councillors and others in the positions of authority.”

Okao added that they also pray for good things to happen in the Benin Kingdom and the state, while concentrating on members present and ‘individually ask God for whatever we want from Him’.

Another wonderful feature about the Holy Aruosa is the choir which is made of elderly people otherwise known as the Edion Ni kao nomadode meaning the elders that will never go astray.

The difference between Holy Aruosa and the Orthodox Church is the mode of worship and belief. Okao explained that: “If you are talking about the fear of God, the Holy Aruosa members have the fear of God and we have it in our Creed that if you sin against mankind, you must go and beg that man and if you don’t go and beg that person, you will receive punishment on earth and after death, you will receive the punishment. That is why we don’t commit sin.

“For instance, if you leave anything here and you come back in three days, nobody will take it because we believe that if you take what does not belong to you, it means you have sinned already and you will not enter the kingdom of God. Sinners will not enter the kingdom of God.”.

“However, if we discov­er that any member goes against the rules and reg­ulations of worshipping God, such a person will be cautioned or punished. The degree of the punishment depends on the level of offence committed”, he said.

Another amazing feature about the church is that it has its own book of worship known as the Book of Holy Aruosa and was written by the “wise men with the dictate, teachings and sayings of the ancient Benin kingdom.” It is made up of the dos and don’ts that our fore fathers bequeathed to the present generation. Okao explained further that the book is just like “the Old Testament in the Bible and if we have anything or any area that we want to refer to in the Bible, we do so; we also refer to the Koran for things to move on properly.”

On the selection and ordination of the presiding priest, Okao noted that every activity carried out is a spiritual exercise, although, it is done in the church after the confirmation from the Omo N’ Oba, being the head of the church.

On how the church goes about their evangelism, the priest said “an experienced doctor does not need awareness to get pa­tients. If you are doing well in your field, people will automati­cally gravitate towards you. Membership is opento everyone.”

Speaking on who is to be blamed for the social vices expe­rienced in our society today, Holy Arosa’s priest said, “we are all liable for what is happening in our society. I’m blaming the parents, the clergy, the judiciary, the police and the public at large. If parents are playing their roles, we will not have cases of indecent dressing, increase in crime and more”. “On the case of the police, when people know that when an offence is committed, the police officer will not take money from them and grant them freedom, they will tread with caution. The same thing goes for the judiciary. When you know what no matter the amount of money you offer the judge, justice will not be perverted, you will run from crime”, he added.

The priest added, “The clergy are also not left out. As a re­ligious leader, you are supposed to preach the gospel the way it should be. Your message can ignite positively or negatively.”

He called on religious leaders to do the right thing at all times. “The idea of promoting prosperity ,instead of salvation, should be discouraged among our religious leaders. Also the Bible teaches that we should not share in God’s glory. But what we see with most religious leaders today is that they share in God’s glory. In the olden days, what we see in churches is the open Bible and the mark of the crucifix. But what is the order of the day, is religious leaders adorning the churches with their pictures and that of their wives.”

The priest, who charged everyone, irrespective of their religious affiliations to do the right things at all times and do everything possible to stand for the truth at all times irrespec­tive of who and what is involved. “Above all, we should love others as we love ourselves. This is because by so doing evil will be far from us”

3 Likes

Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by jacoik(m): 8:50am On Feb 05, 2021
Brandonx:
Holy Aruosa Church for Men! If you know you know.
lolxxxxx hahahaha I swear guy u no well ooooo. but y ur hearts dirty like dis na
Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by jacoik(m): 8:50am On Feb 05, 2021
istina:
grin grin grin
Benin and their things. imagine HOLY AROUSAL CHURCH .
Now i understand why sex trafficking plenty for that side
lolxxxxx hahahaha I swear guy u no well ooooo. God I don die here
Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by annyz: 8:50am On Feb 05, 2021
Doraty1:

https://thenationonlineng.net/breaking-oba-of-benin-sacks-priest-of-holy-aruosa-church/

Oba sacking priest of a church instead of sacking Fulani headsmen maiming his people.
Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by gregyboy(m): 9:00am On Feb 05, 2021
Prechgold1180:

Dey don’t use bible der it’s just like a traditional temple disguising as a church

And ordinary people cannot worship der
It is meant for native doctors chiefs kings enogie and so on

Just take out time and do a good research about holy arousa

Anyone can worship there, the church used to be full back then before many churches sprang

They run catholic services, and they pray to the benin Gods and not Christian god

They pray to osanobua, the benin supreme being in heaven and they pray to his son on earth oba of Benin

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by Prechgold1180(m): 9:02am On Feb 05, 2021
gregyboy:

Anyone can worship there, the church used to be full back then before many churches sprang

They run catholic services, and they pray to the benin Gods and not Christian god

They pray to osanobua, the benin supreme being in heaven and they pray to his son on earth oba of Benin
just try go dere on Sunday

If dem go allow u worship der
Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by mechanics(m): 9:03am On Feb 05, 2021
milann:
What business does the heathen have with the church. Is the oba a christian? This is quite absurd
He want to have control over everything.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by dederocs(m): 9:06am On Feb 05, 2021
milann:
Its the same way the Romans mixed the iron and clay...you have to appease the people sometimes...some Edo folks got a hold of the Christian beliefs, its a way to keep the people as one.
Its just the way power plays cheesy
Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by charlesucheh(m): 9:10am On Feb 05, 2021
WELCOME TO KANO IN THE SOUTH SOUTH....

I THOUGHT THIS PART OF NIGERIA IS DIFFERENT FROM THAT OF THAT DOLLAR COUNTING UGLY FACE......
Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by gregyboy(m): 9:10am On Feb 05, 2021
Prechgold1180:
just try go dere on Sunday

If dem go allow u worship der

Am benin my uncle used to attend there back then when they were still young if there is a need for me to attend i will

Me Meself never enter church since god knows when
Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by ugbanante: 9:10am On Feb 05, 2021
I can only but laugh!!!
Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by cravingmind: 9:15am On Feb 05, 2021
milann:

Guy, that church na shrine. You nor fit enter sef, the priest na ayelala style of dress him dey use
Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by Kaypeeboss(m): 9:15am On Feb 05, 2021
ERockson:
I wonder how the order of service will look like, They should just call it another thing and not church
You don’t have to call it anything,I have attended the services there,and they are nice the priest they just sacked would Always advise youths
Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by cravingmind: 9:22am On Feb 05, 2021
gregyboy:

Do they read bible?
Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by boogie2: 9:24am On Feb 05, 2021
milann:

Try to google the history of that church. I'm sure you will appreciate it.
Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by Prechgold1180(m): 9:27am On Feb 05, 2021
gregyboy:

Am benin my uncles used to attend back then when they were still young if there is a need for me to attend i will

Meself nevee enter church since god knows when
ur Cain Dey insyd diesel for hell fire devil Dey soak am

If u like nur go church on sunday
Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by Sirmuel1(m): 9:57am On Feb 05, 2021
milann:

That's a traditional Church in Benin. It belongs to the royal family and all the traditionalists in Benin kingdom.
Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by timstone(m): 9:59am On Feb 05, 2021
thorpido:
Osanobua!
Na Oba dey sack priest again.

Ai we nen ovbokhan ghe ru akon gai; sokpan o ghi mien akhuarhamwen unu ya guere.

You don't tell a child not to have big teeth
provided he has lips to cover them
Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by thelinguist: 10:04am On Feb 05, 2021
casppyjay:
no he’s esan! Except he’s confused or u are or both of u.. lol osanobua is esan and osalobua is bini... except I’m wrong I doubt so because I can easily say I can’t be rusty to forget languages that I speak both and understand because of age and lack of practice I think my observations are too distinctive to be forgotten..
you haven't heard of allophones? Let me give you an example, Ọlọ́run and Ọlọhun... Are they not Yoruba Language?

Re: Oba Of Benin Sacks Ohen-Osa Harrison Okao, Priest Of Holy Aruosa Church by thorpido(m): 10:08am On Feb 05, 2021
Chii59:

So you na bini boy sef?
No,I just be Nigerian.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Supo Ayokunle Emerges As New CAN President / Man's Too Hot - Pastor Foluke Adeboye Gushes Over Her Husband Pastor E.A Adeboye / TB Joshua: Chris Okotie Is A Disgrace, Has Mental Problem - Prophet Iginla

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.