Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,744 members, 7,824,143 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:29 AM

CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts - Business (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts (96204 Views)

Over 91 Million Bank Accounts At Risk Of Deactivation As CBN's BVN/NIN Deadline / CBN Shuts Down AbokiFX Bank Accounts / More Bank Accounts To Be Shut As CBN Issues Strict BVN Rules (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Toks2008(m): 12:49pm On Feb 05, 2021
Ottyn01:
This Government is just making life hard for the youth

Useless government undecided Govern by a cow lipsrsealed

Naija youth we move cry

Honestly.

If they do crime they will raise eyebrow yet they will frustrate all legit means.

1 Like

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Seyzcham91(m): 12:49pm On Feb 05, 2021
useless talk! you started badly and ended it well

good you know your naira is useless

and just so you know crypto exchange is new age
SeunAdeniyi1:
People like Patricia go cry this year o. grin

It was high time the government ban crypto exchanges. It is one of the things killing our useless naira. People would rather store their funds in bitcoin and co. than to store it in naira.

2 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by cobsol(m): 12:50pm On Feb 05, 2021
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by primestreams: 12:50pm On Feb 05, 2021
Problem
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Regex: 12:50pm On Feb 05, 2021
softset:
I have always said it that this government is run by insane people. How could you just wake up and make such a decision?

I won't blame them, next election, if you like collect 5000 you will get worse treatment.

Look at NIN, some idiot just woke up and made a decision without putting lots of things into consideration, so I arrive Nigeria now with no way to get a phone number. Many government decisions are never thought through.

We deserve better than what we are getting, Nigerians are smart people, we should never settle for less , mediocrity should not be an option when choosing leaders

Nigerians are not smart. Our government and the people who represents us is the proof.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by miracle4(m): 12:51pm On Feb 05, 2021
thebosstrevor1:

Na you no get sense.

Many donations for the endsar protest were received through crypto
Back in 2017? Did you even read the post at all?

3 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by lkillbrokehoes: 12:51pm On Feb 05, 2021
Activist001:
First was their shitty policy on FX which is making it hell on earth for online business owners and freelancers to recieve money from abroad to Nigeria, now it's banning transactions with crypto exchanges.

What kind of useless government is this for God's sake?
A fvcking shíthole country where nothing works

1 Like

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Kanoski(m): 12:51pm On Feb 05, 2021
One thing I know 4 sure.. The will always be another way

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by munachiso58(m): 12:51pm On Feb 05, 2021
pls oooo i hope luno app is not affected??

1 Like

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Kleshrio: 12:52pm On Feb 05, 2021
SeunAdeniyi1:

It was high time the government ban crypto exchanges. It is one of the things killing our useless naira. People would rather store their funds in bitcoin and co. than to store it in naira.

Tunder fire you and that ban they should ban ur community

2 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Seyzcham91(m): 12:52pm On Feb 05, 2021
the part of section of the country render powerless i believe that is

south west and south east cuz those are where we have the braniac computer literate that deal crypto not in the north that only killing and banditry they are known for
MisterGrace:
Likely reason:

1. They are trying to frustrate one A-list politician who is intending sale his crypto currencies to fund 2023 campaign.
2. They want to monopolize the crypto market as they did to the dollars.
3. The brain behind this ban is either daft or he/she is a stark illiterate.
4. They want to render a section of the country financially powerless.

Either ways, this government is bent on destroying all contemporary advancement that we toiled hard to acquire.

Very demonic lots.

13 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Taywon: 12:53pm On Feb 05, 2021
Na to leave this country for una
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Neddstark: 12:53pm On Feb 05, 2021
Crypto exchange is not a bad business. Just that scammers and criminals have been taking advantage of it lately. Its like more kidnapping ransoms have been paid through bitcoin ever since the first somewhile ago. Also yahoo boys scam their clients via bitcoin payments lately. But the government should have been more proactive in fighting crime. Cryptocurrency has come to stay.

8 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by teacherbim(f): 12:53pm On Feb 05, 2021
Rikidony:
guys pls hold on, what does this mean, is it that all my money i invest in Luno, Roqqu, Binance and Abitrader is gone and i cant withdraw back my money, because I'm not understanding..
Honestly I still do not understand,I have Etherium and I just invested in bnb on roqqu,I'm confused

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Vaughanlanrewaj: 12:54pm On Feb 05, 2021
thebosstrevor1:
The endsar protest created the ban.

The government is seriously on this matter ehn.
Whoever thinks all those killings and burnings caused by those paid to sabotage Nigeria with fake creatives will go free should by now should have a rethink.

It was an insurrection! Those genuinely in support of the protest would never have supported the coordinated arson in Lagos if they knew of the sinister plans of those paid to sabotage Nigeria.
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Jerryherd: 12:54pm On Feb 05, 2021
Seyzcham91:
the part of section of the country render powerless i believe that is

south west and south east cuz those are where we have the braniac computer literate that deal crypto not in the north that only killing and banditry they are known for

Who do you think buys Northerners tomatoes , pepper and cows?! Same Southerners earning forex and working globally

3 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by KIDfurniture(m): 12:55pm On Feb 05, 2021
If u have the opportunity to leave Nigeria plz leave fast

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by itslinkin4005(m): 12:55pm On Feb 05, 2021
Taaa na today ,sharp sharp another means dey...no dulling we move...
lalasticlala:
CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts

"February 5, 2021

LETTER TO ALL DEPOSIT MONEY BANKS, NON-BANK FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS AND OTHER FINANCIAL INSTITUTIONS

The Central of Bank of Nigeria's (CBN) circular of January 12, 2017 ref FPR/DIR/GEN/C1R,06/010 which cautioned Deposit Money Banks (DMBs), Non-Bank Financial Institutions (NBFIs), Other Financial Institutions (OFIs) and members of the pubic so the risk associated with transactions In crypto currency refers.

Father to earlier regulatory directives on the subject, the Bank hereby wishes to remind regulated institutions that dealing in crypto curencies or facilitating payments for cryptocurrency exchanges is prohibited. Accordingly, all DMBs.

NBFIs and OFIs are directed to identify persons and/or entities transacting in or operating crypto currency exchanges within tier systemsand ensure that such accounts are closed immediately. Please note that breaches of this directive will attract severe regulatory sanctions. This letter is with immediate effect."

Osaretin Victor Asemota @asemota shared it on Twitter and wrote:

https://twitter.com/asemota/status/1357647685801676802

A Twitter user, Futurist @nathaniel_luz, reacted:

https://twitter.com/nathaniel_luz/status/1357648314016096256?s=19
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by WEALTHYMII: 12:55pm On Feb 05, 2021
This is demonic.
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Nobody: 12:56pm On Feb 05, 2021
paulolee:
nooo naaa...i thought crypto currency is taking over...as an economist I'll surely analyse short run n long run reasons for this new policy..
I would like to know how positively it would improve d monetary policy of our economy and alos the effect it would have on our already weakened naira currency...

Crypto is an Avenue for scam, money laundering and also sponsoring of terrorism.

All crypto are speculation assets, it adds nothing to the economy. Also it is highly volatile.

Crypto network fees especially bitcoin are very high when sending them from one wallet to another.

Can crypto weaken the naira? I doubt, it is a digital asset..nothing more than that, cryptos are backed by currencies, without the naira or dollar, their will be no demand

17 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by TinubuGoQuench(f): 12:56pm On Feb 05, 2021
Some idiots who voted Buhari in 2015 and 2019 will still come here to cry foul
Condemned fools!

1 Like

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by ZUBY77(m): 12:56pm On Feb 05, 2021
capitalzero:

Exactly. Crypto is a threat to CBN, forex, stocks, bonds and other traditional financial institutions.
Criminals like drug barons also use crypto for money laundry.
If crypto overshadows traditional financial institutions, CBN will not able to make effective monetary and financial regulatory policy.
Also, wef with other world financial organisations is planning for great reset of currency. I do not know the detail.

Crypto will take over eventually , that's if we like it or not

4 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by bepositive11: 12:57pm On Feb 05, 2021
paulolee:
nooo naaa...i thought crypto currency is taking over...as an economist I'll surely analyse short run n long run reasons for this new policy..
I would like to know how positively it would improve d monetary policy of our economy and alos the effect it would have on our already weakened naira currency...

Isn't it because governments have no control over crypto currency?
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by MJBOLT: 12:57pm On Feb 05, 2021
most likely

Rikidony:
guys pls hold on, what does this mean, is it that all my money i invest in Luno, Roqqu, Binance and Abitrader is gone and i cant withdraw back my money, because I'm not understanding..

2 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by ghostcenturion(m): 12:57pm On Feb 05, 2021
Use your payooner US account number, connect your payooner to Kuda

5 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by legacystore: 12:57pm On Feb 05, 2021
Crypto currency is an easy way to cash out by criminals esp yahoo boys n needs to be regulated
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by fashrola(m): 12:58pm On Feb 05, 2021
SeunAdeniyi1:

So will you rather store your money in bank which keeps depreciating, plus ghost charges than keeping your money which appreciate everyday

10 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Jerryherd: 12:58pm On Feb 05, 2021
thebosstrevor1:
The endsar protest created the ban.

Then that's stupidity

You can't ban crypto, and if you ban traders bank account because they told you voluntarily they trade Bitcoin, then they would simply tell you they trade something else like cocoyam, or buruntashi

3 Likes

Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by Nobody: 12:58pm On Feb 05, 2021
miracle4:
Back in 2017? Did you even read the post at all?

Did you see the date of the memo ( feb 5 2021) and the reference to the 2017 laws.

New Additional laws were added
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by odaniel1(m): 12:59pm On Feb 05, 2021
This government is determined to sink the future. The youths!
They saw the effects of crypto exchanges through political support during the #endsars protests.
Re: CBN Shuts Down Cryptocurrency Exchange Bank Accounts by vanpeele: 12:59pm On Feb 05, 2021
MisterGrace:
Likely reason:

1. They are trying to frustrate one A-list politician who is intending sale his crypto currencies to fund 2023 campaign.
2. They want to monopolize the crypto market as they did to the dollars.
3. The brain behind this ban is either daft or he/she is a stark illiterate.
4. They want to render a section of the country financially powerless.

Either ways, this government is bent on destroying all contemporary advancement that we toiled hard to acquire.

Very demonic lots.

5. ENDSARS

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (21) (Reply)

Forex Trade Alerts - Season 12 / Football Betting Season 4 / Who Are The Top Ten Richest People In Nigeria Now?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.