Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,017 members, 7,818,010 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 03:54 AM

CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know - Business (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know (78931 Views)

FG Lifts Ban On Cryptocurrency, Introduces Taxation Instead / First Bank Accepts CBN New Board As Adeduntan Resumes / CBN's New Policy On Cash Deposits: Nigerians React (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by CSTRR: 10:10pm On Feb 05, 2021
But osinbajo went to silicon valley.
That is what his useless supporters keep telling us.

Star boy in failure.

1 Like

Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by Femeto: 10:11pm On Feb 05, 2021
Igbo man led CBN. I wish it was Aboki. Unintelligent man.
Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by Nobody: 10:11pm On Feb 05, 2021
TheGiftedOne:
Tell me something. Can you please tell me who appoints the governor of CBN? nothing i no go see for NL.
the presidency ofcourse.
Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by Awoo88: 10:11pm On Feb 05, 2021
SaintUlot:

Who told you crypto can't be banned? History and trends has shown that it can be banned and it is very easy to do, just by putting some things in place and you see everything goes back to zero.That's why they always advise crypto market players to trade with what they can afford to lose, because anything can happen.

Take for instance, if countries ban bitcoin mining, the fud that will create is enough to crash the market completely. Banks generally are being affected by the popularity of crypto and all Banks in the whole universe are being affected.

I am a crypto enthusiast myself and i have been on it for over 6 years, before you talk say i don't know what i am saying.
The only way you can ban crypto is to block the Internet. Cryto is here to stay. It might experience the usual up and down. If two people agreed that the medium of exchange between them is crypto, there nothing you can do. Absolute nothing. If Amazon decided to accept bitcoin from you, CBN can not stop it. Some FB club already sold their player with bitcoin. The are gambling site that allow you to stack with bitcoin. CBN is just being stupid. They felt powerless and does not know how to show it. Even with the ban, people will still come up with a creative way to exchange value without CBN input. It is not for show that China change it stance on crypto. Even US at a time was discouraging people from it .

1 Like

Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by iamJ(m): 10:11pm On Feb 05, 2021
adonainana:

The supply of bitcoin is fixed youngman, what this means is once all that has been in supply has been bought, you can only buy it from someone who has it. People put thier money in bitcoin because the other world global fiat currencies such as dollars etc won’t be able to cope with what has been happening recently due to the pandemic etc

You can wake up anyday and print more dollars and flood the whole system with more dollars, you can’t with bitcoin, bitcoin supply is finite meaning it has an upper edge over dollars and other fiat currencies
supply of bitcoin being fixed means nothing, it will only inflate the value further

bitcoin is also fiat, what is the intrinsic value of bitcoin?
Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by CooldudeX1: 10:12pm On Feb 05, 2021
iamJ:
money is a legal tender that is guaranteed by a government

Bitcoin isn't guaranteed by anyone, if everybody using it decide to pull out, it will crash to zero cause bulk of it's current value is inflated

Bitcoin isn't guaranteed by anyone and yet billionaires like Elon Musk and Robert Kiyosaki are endorsing. Maybe you know better than the global market capitalisation.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by iamJ(m): 10:13pm On Feb 05, 2021
CooldudeX1:
Bitcoin isn't guaranteed by anyone and yet billionaires like Elon Musk and Robert Kiyosaki are endorsing. Maybe you know better than the global market capitalisation.
elon musk shld move all his wealth into bitcoin if he truly believes that its the future cheesy

5 Likes

Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by Jeffy1206(m): 10:13pm On Feb 05, 2021
They just don't want to see the masses happy... Anyways I'm waiting for any idiot bank to restrict ma akkant na undecided

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by pooozeee(m): 10:14pm On Feb 05, 2021

Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by AerialMapper: 10:15pm On Feb 05, 2021
Next they’ll unleash PYB on the youth; he will come speaking beautiful nonsense about the youth and digital economy and all...

Una go clap and swoon ... oOH OsINBaJo eEz sO iNTeLEsHaUL!!!

Fact: they don’t like that the youth are becoming financially independent! They need to control you and you cannot control people who you do not cater for!
They want to give you 5k a month; they don’t want you making millions a month by yourself!

They want to create 774,000 jobs for you cleaning the streets and gutters not using technology to make money!

They want to give you Ludo and rubber flip flops during the election to vote for them and not chase them away when they come because you don’t need what they have to offer!

Unless they want to switch off the internet... we continue

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by CSTRR: 10:15pm On Feb 05, 2021
The only thing remaining is for Ghana to capitalise massively, possibly even Kenya.

They should create a permanent residency pathway in their country for Nigerian tech heads.

They should also make it easy for Nigerians to get bank account.

Any of these two countries that does this have stolen Nigeria's future.

And buhari gave it to them on a platter.

I just pray for the sake of Nigeria, they are not smart enough to use this for their benefit.

But I hear the Ghanian govt is about to set up their own crypto currency.

Only a matter of time.

Buhari has done serious harm to Nigeria that will take a miracle to correct.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by Nobody: 10:18pm On Feb 05, 2021
wwwtortoise:
The Nigerian government is anti-people.
Whatever benefits the populace give them sleepless night.

Crypto is here to stay as no policy can stop this technology. China tried to control it but failed.
Absolutely, Nigerian government is anti-people. Anything to frustrate their citizens efforts is what they do ussually. They are also afraid that their citizens will outsmart them and tske over the government.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by CSTRR: 10:19pm On Feb 05, 2021
There are prominent Nigerians on Twitter asking tech start ups to move to Rwanda.
We need to be careful.

Yes, we are angry, but we need to be patriotic.

Buhari and his failed govt will not be there forever.

Let us think about the future of this country and exercise a bit of restraint.

Hopefully, a drastically different individual will take over in 2023.

1 Like

Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by Osas4lav(m): 10:19pm On Feb 05, 2021
iamJ:
where is the headquarters located at?

Who is the head of the organization?
Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by Missyajoke(f): 10:20pm On Feb 05, 2021
NiRfreak:

Ode gidi ni e....I wonder how u are allowed to type on Nairaland.

Ode ni awon family ehhh
Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by Tulsaguy: 10:20pm On Feb 05, 2021
The letter was signed by two potential Bokoharam members. grin grin

By their names we shall know them...?

1 Like

Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by adonainana: 10:21pm On Feb 05, 2021
iamJ:
supply of bitcoin being fixed means nothing, it will only inflate the value further

bitcoin is also fiat, what is the intrinsic value of bitcoin?

Fixed supply of bitcoin means a lot, it means a lot because it would never suffer from inflationary consequences normal currencies go through, eg naira . Naira is a Fiat currrency for instance, 2500 naira could buy a dangote a year ago but cannot today.

This is totally different from Its equivalent value of btc a year ago

A Fiat money is a currency (a medium of exchange) established as money, often by government regulation. Fiat money does not have intrinsic value and does not have use value (inherent utility, such as a cow or beaver pelt might have). It has value only because a government maintains its value, or because parties engaging in exchange agree on its value.[

Fiat currencies euro and dollar don’t have no intrinsic value if you look deep, it only has value because parties exchanging it agree on the value and the government of United States and Eurozone have maintained its value

This is the same with bitcoin for just about the same reasons, but bitcoin is not a Fiat currncru tho because no government maintains its value

1 Like

Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by CSTRR: 10:22pm On Feb 05, 2021
And so it begins.
What I fear may happen.

Elections have consequences.

https://mobile.twitter.com/tayooye/status/1357785406318776322

1 Like

Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by Nobody: 10:23pm On Feb 05, 2021
CSTRR:
There are prominent Nigerians on Twitter asking tech start ups to move to Rwanda.
We need to be careful.

Yes, we are angry, but we need to be patriotic.

Buhari and his failed govt will not be there forever.

Let us think about the future of this country and exercise a bit of restraint.

Hopefully, a drastically different individual will take over in 2023.
I doubt if anything would change. Even if someone else takes over, it would be one of them, the same set of ignorant cretins. I bet you $1000 nothing would change when someone else takes over.

1 Like

Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by essay007(m): 10:23pm On Feb 05, 2021
iamJ:
where is the headquarters located at?

Who is the head of the organization?
That is one of the best thing crypto has given to people. The freedom to be in control of ur money. It is decentralized. No government or banks has to be in charge but you who's the owner.
Please read up on cryptocurency

2 Likes

Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by goody2019: 10:25pm On Feb 05, 2021
What is the economic benefit of crypto currency? Does it contribute to the country's GDP? Is it tied to productivity in any way? Agric, tech, etc. Or do one just stay at home, play with figures and gets paid hugely.
Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by iamJ(m): 10:26pm On Feb 05, 2021
essay007:

That is one of the best thing crypto has given to people. The freedom to be in control of ur money. It is decentralized. No government or banks has to be in charge but you who's the owner.
someone called it a company that its traded like stocks hence the question

decentralized meaning nobody will be held responsible if its value plummets and people lose all their savings

3 Likes

Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by NaMe4: 10:26pm On Feb 05, 2021
Nice write-up.

The move by the CBN is an uninformed one, though with a malicious intent.

Cryptocurrency is now recognized and used globally, so this is totally useless.

Let them try another move to make the average Nigerian youth totally powerless and useless.
Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by BuddhaPalm(m): 10:26pm On Feb 05, 2021
Omihanifa:
The central bank is just plainly stupid for taking this funny decision undecided

They banned it simply because they don't know how the system works.

The CBN should better wake up and embrace technology. the world is moving away from Fiat money

Ordinary dollar they can't provide sufficiently for businesses in the country now people are moving towards digital money they are getting angry.

Thesame government that can't provide jobs for the masses wants to kill the little that is putting food on the tables of Nigerians

Have you ever bought anything with crypto?
Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by CSTRR: 10:27pm On Feb 05, 2021
Patricia, intellia and other crypto start ups in Nigeria would probably laying off staffs by tomorrow.

Buhari killed them with the stroke of a pen.

2 Likes

Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by CSTRR: 10:29pm On Feb 05, 2021
BuddhaPalm:

Have you ever bought anything with crypto?
There are crypto "banks" in Nigeria that can allow you to withdraw Naira with your bitcoin ATM card.

Check out "Patricia "
Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by profmallor: 10:29pm On Feb 05, 2021
Unfortunately, your are over analyzing the situation. I am not sure of how much knowledge of money you have but to simplify it. lets take 2 scenarios. scenario 1: you pay for Dollar services on line with your Naira card. What happens at the backend is that the service provider takes the Naira equivalent from your Naija bank and supplies you the service. Now at the end of the day or billing cycle, your Bank must make provision for that USD you spent, thats why Nigerian Banks have banned Naira debit cards use abroad as they dont have forex.

Now scenario 2: forget what happens on the exchange, focus on you if you pay in Naira and could withdraw in Dollars then someone must account for that dollar that has landed into your account, either the bank or the exchange. However if you pay in Naira and can only withdraw in Naira then No dollar leaves the shores of your country. What happens on the exchange is digital and money is created at easy. Even the cryptos bought some are created digitally and dont really exit, and I am not saying that bitcoin is digital but that even the amount of bitcoins claimed on exchanges dont necessarily exit(thats another story). Yes there are checks and balances adopted but all those transactions are on servers, from your bank to the exchange to when you withdraw all are electronic no physical money moves anywhere. so you tell me at what point will your bank ever have to send USD to the exchange if your deposite and withdrawals all were done in Naira.

As you are in Nigeria, the exchange manage your account because they have bank accounts in Naira in Nigeria, there is where they pay you when you withdraw. Same with every country, the are domiciled all over the world.

The exchanges reflect the real state of the Naira/USD as forex just as the aboki man that exhanges also does, thats just economics. buy USD on an exchange and try to withdraw it then you will see you are restricted to majorly your local currency. They know what they are doing. Its the CBN that's confused

joey150:

If the value is in naira, then explain how it's written in dollars and you can buy bitcoin from someone selling in the US (through the exchange) and the person in the US can then choose to withdraw in dollars? Your value is in Naira quite alright, but converted to the dollar equivalent.

Before Nigerian Cryptocurrency exchanges became popular, people did peer to peer transfer where they would use the current bitcoin price and then sell based on the equivalent exchange rate in naira. And if I recall, then you could only directly buy crypto from an exchange using a foreign currency.

If the Nigerian dollar exchange rate shoots up or drops, dosen't it affect how much dollars is reflected in your dashboard when you credit your wallet or want to withdraw?

Please point out anything that I may have missed.
Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by TONIOI: 10:30pm On Feb 05, 2021
You can’t create jobs for youths, so the youths created jobs for themselves via #Crypto #BitCoin. And now you have shut that down

Youths can’t farm because of your kinsmen herdsmen. They can’t manufacture because you gave us no electricity.

You closed Nigeria’s border and ruined thousands of businesses. You closed Kano film village, costing us millions.

General Buhari, what do you want us to do? Do you want our economy to be like your cows that don’t increase .

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by tyup(m): 10:34pm On Feb 05, 2021
BlueAir:
grin I laugh in Swahili. If I wan buy my crypto. I go still buy

How abeg me wan buy o
Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by winterfell007(m): 10:34pm On Feb 05, 2021
Theoutsider:

Unless you understand bitcoin.. do not make an argument. Bitcoin follows the same lines of the Nasdaq so is the Nasdaq a bubble? If so, whats your point?

My point is you're buying a currency whose true value isn't really defined. Don't compare it with NASDAQ, which is simply an exchange commission that principally trades in equities of listed companies whose value you can measure based on the goods or services they provide.
These crypto assets looks very cryptic to me. You can't measure its true value. It's not intrinsic.
Iamj seems to be right.
No one or government anywhere in the world seem to guarantee the 'pseudo asset'
Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by CSTRR: 10:34pm On Feb 05, 2021
gypsey:
I doubt if anything would change. Even if someone else takes over, it would be one of them, the same set of ignorant cretins. I bet you $1000 nothing would change when someone else takes over.
If his VP takes over or one of those crooks supporting him, I would give up on this country.

A vice president that went to silicon valley but did not allow silicon valley to go through him.

I will keep saying this regardless of anybody's opinion.
Peter Obi is the only known politician now with the right blend of 21st century exposure, intelligence and integrity.

If they don't want Peter Obi, they should go for a complete unknown outside politics, because I can't see anybody in politics right now with the requisite sense and integrity apart from Peter Obi.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: CBN New Policy On Cryptocurrency: What You Should Know by goody2019: 10:36pm On Feb 05, 2021
essay007:

Every currency must have control for it to be of value to the economy, isn't it?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (12) (Reply)

Benin Ekiosa Market Fire: Thieves Return Stolen Items / Suya Seller Sleeps Off While Standing And Selling Suya In Lagos (Photos) / Bitcoin Lord Acquires New Mansion And Cars After EFCC Release - Pictures

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.