Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,338 members, 7,811,980 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 04:19 AM

Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business (42860 Views)

Buhari: Don’t Give APC Presidential Ticket To Highest Bidders / Senator Anthony Adefuye: I Pray That Those Provoking Buhari Don’t See His Anger / Sagay To Buhari: Don’t Attend Giadom-Led NEC Meeting (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by Kwanza: 9:57am On Feb 06, 2021
Former Vice-President Atiku Abubakar: makes an appeal for cryptocurrency

Former vice-president Atiku Abubakar has urged the Buhari administration not to shut down cryptocurrency business, as announced by the Central Bank of Nigeria on Friday.

In a statement signed by him on Saturday, Atiku urged government to regulate the sector rather than embarking on an outright shutdown.

“This is definitely the wrong time to introduce policies that will restrict the inflow of capital into Nigeria, and I urge that the policy to prohibit the dealing and transaction of cryptocurrencies be revisited.

“It is possible to regulate the sub sector and prevent any abuse that may be inimical to national security. That may be a better option, than an outright shutdown”, he said.

The statement referenced the declining inflow of foreign capital into Nigeria from $23.9b in 2019 to $9.68b in 2020 and said the economy needs an expansion, rather than a contraction.

Read the full statement:

We Need To Open Up Our Economy, Not Close It

The number one challenge facing Nigeria is youth unemployment. In fact, it is not a challenge, it is an emergency. It affects our economy, and is exacerbating insecurity in the nation.

What Nigeria needs now, perhaps more than ever, are jobs and an opening up of our economy, especially after today’s report by the National Bureau of Statistics indicated that foreign capital inflow into Nigeria is at a four year low, having plummeted from $23.9 billion in 2019, to just $9.68 billion in 2020.

Already, the nation suffered severe economic losses from the border closure, and the effects of the #COVID19 pandemic.

This is definitely the wrong time to introduce policies that will restrict the inflow of capital into Nigeria, and I urge that the policy to prohibit the dealing and transaction of cryptocurrencies be revisited.

It is possible to regulate the sub sector and prevent any abuse that may be inimical to national security. That may be a better option, than an outright shutdown.

There is already immense economic pressure on our youths. It must be the job of the government, therefore, to reduce that pressure, rather than adding to it.

We must create jobs in Nigeria. We must expand the economy. We must remove every impediment towards investments. We owe the Nigerian people that much.
https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2021/02/06/atiku-appeals-to-buhari-dont-shut-down-cryptocurrency-business/

60 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by Goldencheese(m): 10:00am On Feb 06, 2021
Atiku has finally spoken. I hope the president would hear.

167 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by PrinceOfLagos: 10:02am On Feb 06, 2021
Nigerians deserve a man like buhari .

We warned them in 2015 but they callled us names

Let them enjoy the buhari bad effects

339 Likes 19 Shares

Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by tyup(m): 10:04am On Feb 06, 2021
Someone check on Yunus or is it heliniose. ever since this Scripto currently ban news Nigga has been short of words to defend his Masters. Looks like the dumbo has been affected so Badly grin

Anyways, as for me Buhari should be the last Fulani to every occupy any helm of affairs in this country, any other Fulani rejected in which Atiku is stylishly one. there are reasonable Hausas Nigerians can pick from. tho we have to appeal to the South to give us the chance to correct our Mistakes by voting the North again 2023

45 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by Nobody: 10:04am On Feb 06, 2021
Atiku is just chasing clout... CBN took the best decision.

Unregulated Crypto currency is a lazy investment that tilts more on outflow of FX rather than inflow.. it is death sentence to import dominated countries.

E.g- I buy bitcoin with N10m that would be domiciled in source Nation(not Nigeria).. if it rises in 1 year by maybe 10%, I may have gained 1m as an individual, but I have starved my country economy of recycling my 10m if it was domiciled in a Nigerian bank or invested into the society which could have produced more than 10% while creating jobs.. note as an import dominated nation, the chance of loosing that 1m as another escaped forex is 95% on foreign goods while 5% I may spend on local food.

The Nigerian greed for small margins has blinded a lot of people, imagine Crypto currency trading far beyond your indigenous Stock exchange and some feel it's okay

Modified:
With all the mentions and insults, if we put this same energy into investing in Nigeria, would we be complaining of unemployment?... someone actually said he has over 1,000btc in his wallet, that's about $35m or N16.450bn just waiting to flip currency and make small margin rather than real investment that creates jobs for the economy, but we are quick to say no jobs.

121 Likes 25 Shares

Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by sofeo(m): 10:05am On Feb 06, 2021
Ok

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by Jerryherd: 10:05am On Feb 06, 2021
cool

Mscheeew!!! Meaningless Policy

Paxful is still hot with trade

Now I hate to say it but we have a dumb government headed by Buhari

I traded Bitcoin this morning, you really can't stop Peer to Peer Bitcoin, you can't shut Account for transactions you don't know the source

To understand how stupid Buhari is

*He limited funds MasterCard and Visa cards holders can get every quarter (3 months) to $1000 that's like 120,000 a month... What trader or importer can successfully import goods with 120k a month

*Now Crude Oil prices are low, our foreign reserves are down ... In simple terms we don't have enough dollars, yet some imbeciless shutdown cryptocyrrency the major alternative to dollars

74 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by Dexterfire: 10:13am On Feb 06, 2021
grin
Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by cocolacec(m): 10:13am On Feb 06, 2021
Atiku talk about fulani herdsmen killing innocent civilians not cryptocurrency abeg.

50 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by Teewhy2: 10:13am On Feb 06, 2021
money is like water, and will always find a way to flow.
People will find other ways to trade eg peer to peer, also this policy might encourage other illegal ways of trading. The government should try to regulate the operators and not telling banks to stop transacting with them.

11 Likes

Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by lekki1444: 10:13am On Feb 06, 2021
cheesy
Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by olaric(m): 10:13am On Feb 06, 2021
Atiku and his selfish group of politicians packaged Buhari; now he's also a victim of the evil that this government represents.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by Nobody: 10:14am On Feb 06, 2021
The next time you see a Hausa man in politics remember that cows come first for him, then judge wether he can govern people.

Let this mistake of 2015 never be repeated again.

48 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by Kobicove(m): 10:14am On Feb 06, 2021
What's Atiku's business in this matter? undecided

Besides government did not shut down crypto business, they're only trying to regulate it

6 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by Nobody: 10:14am On Feb 06, 2021
Atiku should shutup jare, thief seeking credibility.

13 Likes

Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by ChizzyBuna(m): 10:14am On Feb 06, 2021
Ok

1 Like

if they like they shut down our airspace

my millions of dollars stay in my wallet
the highest i can keep in a local bank na 5M

foolishs idiotts with power

undecided undecided undecided

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by SpecialAdviser(m): 10:14am On Feb 06, 2021
Blessed are those who have left this shithole country.

For they shall see Buhari no more.

50 Likes 1 Share

Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by ENGINEERG(m): 10:14am On Feb 06, 2021
THE MORE NIGERIA EXIST
THE MORE DREAMS ARE KILLED !

27 Likes

Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by iamJ(m): 10:14am On Feb 06, 2021
Money laundering cheesy

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by Bvlgari: 10:14am On Feb 06, 2021
E be like baba funds dey into crypto tins too...the matter hurt almost everybody ehhh

6 Likes

Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by Sirmuel1(m): 10:15am On Feb 06, 2021
Atiku help us beg Baba oh cheesy

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by Esanboy111(m): 10:15am On Feb 06, 2021
How did we even ended up with that lifeless man from daura... nawaoh
Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by jaxxy(m): 10:16am On Feb 06, 2021
There's no logical reason for shutting it down. It's majorly for political reasons than anything else.

Apc is a very insecure party and same with the government.

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by Zico5(m): 10:16am On Feb 06, 2021
Ok
Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by donnie(m): 10:16am On Feb 06, 2021
Incompetent government run by dunces.
Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by King3urna(m): 10:16am On Feb 06, 2021
[quote author=Kwanza post=98794665]
https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2021/02/06/atiku-appeals-to-buhari-dont-shut-down-cryptocurrency-business/[/quiote]

Abeg which country get free visa I'm tired of this zoo i now know why igbos called it zoo

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Atiku Appeals To Buhari: Don’t Shut Down Cryptocurrency Business by Ejlove4u(m): 10:17am On Feb 06, 2021
someone that can't hear anything is the person you are appealing to!

if you want to pass a message to him, send it through a cow form and he will quickly respond...

he believes in cows more then human

15 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

FG Seizes Oil Blocs From Kola Abiola, Others / Deji Adeleke Denies Osun 2018 ‘Governorship Ambition’ / Governor Okowa Celebrates Neo And Dorathy For “Avoiding Controversy” In BBNaija

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.