Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,229 members, 7,822,188 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 08:07 AM

Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) - Agriculture (147) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) (966071 Views)

Cultivating Cucumber - A Blog / Starting A Plantain Farming. / We Help People Set Up A Poultry Farm, We Also Give Imformation On Poultry Busi' (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) ... (280) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by valarinz: 12:43am On Jul 12, 2015
Hello house
Due to relocation plans, I'm putting up my poultry farm in Abuja for sale, see details here
https://www.nairaland.com/2442365/poultry-farm-sale-abuja

Thanks
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by atuagbo: 9:34am On Jul 12, 2015
davidzfarm18:
Obstacles may come: so What: who is afraid of them. cos we know that Victory will surely come from the Almighty God who never fails.

Got the Golden Egg today from my Restoration Batch at 19wks 2 days. Despite the heavy challenges of lice and failed Fowl Pox Vaccine. To God alone be the Glory.

Afosoft. You are on point. in poultry business and farming in general. Time is as important as money.

@;Jamp. how are your birds doing and the preparation for the DOC?

Hello sir, kindly help me by saving the lives of birds. My 8weeks birds (layers) are suffering from fowl pox. Currently, am treating them with CTC and pox off for about 10days now but no improvement. Please help.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by grownaira: 10:17am On Jul 12, 2015
atuagbo:

Hello sir, kindly help me by saving the lives of birds. My 8weeks birds (layers) are suffering from fowl pox. Currently, am treating them with CTC and pox off for about 10days now but no improvement. Please help.

This article might be of help.

Fowl pox is a viral disease that mostly affects the featherless skin of chickens.

Fowl Pox Symptoms

Fowl pox causes round, raised lesions with “scabby” centers. Most skin lesions are located on the comb, wattle and face, and occasionally
on the legs. Fowl pox can also infect the lining of the mouth and the windpipe. The lesions in the throat can grow to cause complete blockage
and possibly death by suffocation.

Chickens could be temporarily or permanently blinded by pox lesions if it spreads to the eyes.

Can it spread?
Fowl pox tends to spread slowly; it will grow in any break in the skin.

Fowl Pox Prevention
Mosquitoes serve as mechanical carriers of the disease, so decrease mosquitoes in your environment. Because ordinary management and sanitation practices will not prevent the disease, fowl pox is most often prevented by vaccination. Vaccination is recommended for long-lived chickens, such as egg layers and breeders, and also in areas known to have high fowl-pox risk. The live vaccine is administered in the wing web when the chickens are six to 10
weeks old. By controlling aggression between birds, you’ll help decrease skin damage in which the pox virus could infect.

Fowl Pox Treatment
There is no treatment for fowl pox once a bird is infected. As long as the chicken continues eating and drinking, fowl pox is a limited infection that resolves itself in about two weeks with little risk of fatality. Successful recovery from infection results in immunity.

About the Authors:

1. Dr. Jose A. Linares, DVM, ACPV is the Resident Director of the Texas Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory, Poultry Diagnostic Laboratory in Gonzales, TX.

2. Dr. John El-Attrache, Ph.D is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Veterinary Pathobiology in the College of Veterinary Medicine at Texas A&M University.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by kdot2000: 10:56am On Jul 12, 2015
Seven Stars Farm Foods Limited is into Agro Allied Organisation based in Ibadan Oyo State seeks the following key positions:
1. Farm Attendants - SSCE with 3 years poultry experience/OND with poultry experience
2. Farm Supervisor - OND with 5 years poultry experience/ HND with 3 years poultry experience
3. Senior Farm Supervisor - OND with 8 years poultry experience/ HND with 5 years poultry experience/ B.Sc. with 4 years poultry experience
4. Assistant Farm Supervisor - OND with 10 years poultry experience/ HND/B.Sc. with 7 years poultry experience
5. Farm Manager - OND with 10 years poultry experience/ HND with 7 years poultry experience/ B.Sc. with 6 years poultry experience/ MSc with 5 years poultry experience
6. Management Accountant – HND/BSc Accountancy/ICAN PE2/ATS3
7. Account Supervisor (Inventory) – OND Accountancy/ ATS with 2 years experience
8. Account Supervisor (Treasury/Bank) – OND Accountancy/ ATS with 2 years’ experience
9. Store Clerk – SSCE/Purchasing and Supply with 2 years’ experience
10. Human Resource Officer –BSc Accountancy or Business Admin or Humanities with 5-8 years’ experience from similar agro based organisation is an advantage
11. Maintenance Officer – HND Civil/Mechanical/Industrial Maintenance Engineering with 3-5 years’ experience
12. ICT Administrator – OND Computer Technology with 3 years’ experience
13. Drivers/Truck Drivers – 5 years’ experience with valid Driver’s Licence. WASC will be an advantage
14. Security – Ex Service Man. WASC will be an advantage
15. Audit Monitoring Officer – B Agric Sc. /Agric Extension/Agric Econs with 2 years’ experience. Must have bias for Accounting, strong inter personal relationship, and investigative knowledge
All positions except 13 and 14 must be computer literate. All qualified and interested candidates should forward their Applications and Curriculum Vitae to: uniquefarmfoods2015@gmail.com stating the title of the position being applied for to reach us not later than Friday 24th July 2015.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by atuagbo: 11:08am On Jul 12, 2015
grownaira:

This article might be of help.

Fowl pox is a viral disease that mostly affects the featherless skin of chickens.

Fowl Pox Symptoms

Fowl pox causes round, raised lesions with “scabby” centers. Most skin lesions are located on the comb, wattle and face, and occasionally
on the legs. Fowl pox can also infect the lining of the mouth and the windpipe. The lesions in the throat can grow to cause complete blockage
and possibly death by suffocation.

Chickens could be temporarily or permanently blinded by pox lesions if it spreads to the eyes.

Can it spread?
Fowl pox tends to spread slowly; it will grow in any break in the skin.

Fowl Pox Prevention
Mosquitoes serve as mechanical carriers of the disease, so decrease mosquitoes in your environment. Because ordinary management and sanitation practices will not prevent the disease, fowl pox is most often prevented by vaccination. Vaccination is recommended for long-lived chickens, such as egg layers and breeders, and also in areas known to have high fowl-pox risk. The live vaccine is administered in the wing web when the chickens are six to 10
weeks old. By controlling aggression between birds, you’ll help decrease skin damage in which the pox virus could infect.

Fowl Pox Treatment
There is no treatment for fowl pox once a bird is infected. As long as the chicken continues eating and drinking, fowl pox is a limited infection that resolves itself in about two weeks with little risk of fatality. Successful recovery from infection results in immunity.

About the Authors:

1. Dr. Jose A. Linares, DVM, ACPV is the Resident Director of the Texas Veterinary Medical Diagnostic Laboratory, Poultry Diagnostic Laboratory in Gonzales, TX.

2. Dr. John El-Attrache, Ph.D is an Assistant Professor in the Department of Veterinary Pathobiology in the College of Veterinary Medicine at Texas A&M University.

So no CURE! The all birds will die. What can I do to save these birds?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by grownaira: 11:21am On Jul 12, 2015
atuagbo:

Bro, if u read the article well, u will se wia it is mentioned that "fowl pox is a
limited infection that resolves itself in
about two weeks with little risk of fatality.
Successful recovery from infection results
in immunity
".

Meanwhile, keep given ur birds good antibiotics so as to manage the infection.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 12:57pm On Jul 12, 2015
atuagbo:

Hello sir, kindly help me by saving the lives of birds. My 8weeks birds (layers) are suffering from fowl pox.

Currently, am treating them with CTC and pox off for about 10days now but no improvement. Please help.

Fowl pox has no cure but you can prevent the spread by isolating infected ones.
2: give all the birds iodine solution at 1ml to 1 LTS for 2days.
3. use cotton wool to dress the pox of infected ones.
4. Use a good antibiotics and vitamins to take care of complications that could arise from the pox.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by milkydaddy(m): 1:50pm On Jul 12, 2015
I salute all d elders on dis forum&young farmers as well.a friend of mine dat we were in2 poultry farming b/4 i relocated ask me where can he get zartec DOC broilers or obasanjo DOC broilers in AKURE&the price.Any1 wit useful infomation should help.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 2:35pm On Jul 12, 2015
Call 08055990391 for ZARTECH

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 2:40pm On Jul 12, 2015
My Earlier post on Fowl Pox is from the Isa & Hiline Website.
You can Equally revaccinate for Fowl Pox shd the 1st Vaccine fails.
When this is done you can check the point of the injection for TAKES after 6 days. if you notice a small growth then the birds were not protected . if no sign is observed at the point of Injection. then the birds were protected.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by manya(m): 7:19pm On Jul 12, 2015
My new poultry house in Baluchi. To be stocked with DOC layers this month. Suggestions are welcome.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obstead200(m): 9:44pm On Jul 12, 2015
[b][size=13pt][color=#006600] I want to appreciate all the contributors to this forum. I ]
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 11:55pm On Jul 12, 2015
atuagbo:

.. Revaccinate and give neoceryl plus if you have many birds.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by FarmTech(m): 12:04am On Jul 13, 2015
davidzfarm18:
if you notice a small growth then the birds were not protected . if no sign is observed at the point of Injection. then the birds were protected.
Incorrect. The opposite is the case.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 11:27am On Jul 13, 2015
FarmTech:
.. Incorrect. The opposite is the case.
I was referring to Re-vaccination.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 11:27am On Jul 13, 2015
FarmTech:
.. Incorrect. The opposite is the case.
I was referring to Re-vaccination.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by gbemmy100: 12:37pm On Jul 13, 2015
Hello farmers. I am a fresh young graduate of Agricultural Production and Management Science, I just came back from service and I have interest in Agriculture but I still want to work under a Agricultural firm for some years to acquire experience. I reside in Otun state and I am willing to redeploy. i will be very grateful if i can get an employment here. thanks. 08052195055 or 08175090243
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by atuagbo: 12:23am On Jul 14, 2015
davidzfarm18:

Fowl pox has no cure but you can prevent the spread by isolating infected ones.
2: give all the birds iodine solution at 1ml to 1 LTS for 2days.
3. use cotton wool to dress the pox of infected ones.
4. Use a good antibiotics and vitamins to take care of complications that could arise from the pox.

Thank you sir.
Thank you all !
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by pharmmylovey: 5:08am On Jul 14, 2015
About 1500 broilers for sale for this Eid al-Fitr. Call for purchases 08039500735. Thanks house.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by davidzfarm18(m): 11:03am On Jul 14, 2015
had to let my girls go yesterday. A very painful decision indeed. I pray that God will rebuke the devourer from all the farms here.

We should start instituting legal action against these Hatcheries for shunning out diseased and low quality birds.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 11:57am On Jul 14, 2015
I feel you davidzfarm18. It would have been a very painful experience indeed. Yes, I agree with you that farmers should come together to protect their interests vis-a-vis the quality of DOC, POL, feeds & medications in the market.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by AkayTopsy: 3:09pm On Jul 14, 2015
davidzfarm18:
had to let my girls go yesterday. A very painful decision indeed. I pray that God will rebuke the devourer from all the farms here.

We should start instituting legal action against these Hatcheries for shunning out diseased and low quality birds.

Well done bro, having the courage to make a hard decision is a biz quality. We all need to know when to 'hold on' and when to 'let go'

All the best as you reinvest your proceeds from sales.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by omotititi: 3:25pm On Jul 14, 2015
Sorry Davidzfarm18,what happened to your birds? these hactheries must be made to bear some of these losses they cause farmers. How do we enforce this? Our Governemnts do not have legal framework for such enforcement. God will help us.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by laposta: 4:52pm On Jul 14, 2015
davidzfarm18:

Please shed more light. You did say they had started laying a few days ago. Why did you then decide to dispose them?
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by milkydaddy(m): 5:13pm On Jul 14, 2015
davidzfarm18:
Call 08055990391 for ZARTECH
Are u in Akure,and Hw can sumone booked with you?Plz urgent response needed sir.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 5:28pm On Jul 14, 2015
milkydaddy. I'm in Owo. I intend getting from Zartech between first & third week (Monday) in August. However, I've not officially made the booking; I've only informed them of my intentions. If my proposed time frame is ok by you, we may work something out (though I don't "book" for people). Success.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by obstead200(m): 8:19pm On Jul 14, 2015
davidzfarm18:

pls Oga Davidson's what happened to ur birds? Pls share d experience so dat we can all learn.

On another note, I asked the house in my previous post if 2 and half blocks is enough height for the dwarf wall of the poultry pen. Everyone on this thread seems to ignore my question. Na wa ooo

Almost seems to me that responses to questions in the thread is exclusively for those who matter
obstead200:
[size=13pt] I want to appreciate all the contributors to this forum. I am really learning a lot. My poultry/fishery is still under construction (find pix below). With what I am learning here, I'm confident that the venture will be a success for me. I still plan to undergo comprehensive training before take off. As soon as I can secure a leave from my place of work, I will do the training.
I am also considering d introduction of a medium scale snail farm and maybe grasscutters. But I am yet to commence construction of d required structures.
Meanwhile, comments from the experts on this forum on the work done so far is welcome.
I must mention dat most of d idea I am using in raising d structure came from dis forum. For that I am grateful. Some pple are of the opinion that I should add one more coach to the dwarf wall in d pen. What do u guys think about that? I plan to do layers using battery cages.
Location of farm; owerri, imo state
[/size]
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Eggcelent(m): 9:32pm On Jul 14, 2015
obstead200. I don't believe we do selective response to enquiries here. In your case, the answers you seek can be found in previous pages. So you're advised to go through them. Meanwhile, in summary, answers to your questions are; unless your pen is in a flood prone area, then 2 coaches of block is just enough. davidzfarm18 birds suffered from a rare disease which limited their productivity to just about 50% so he had to sell them off to cut his losses.

1 Like

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 11:24pm On Jul 14, 2015
davidzfarm18:

I was going to say something about DOC from these hatcheries, in a you buy the DOC for N180, and two weeks or less later the sell DOC for N100. so our observation, is that something must be wrong for them to sell them that cheap, So, we bought 3000 DOC at N100 and two weeks before then we had bought from the hatchery at N180. what happened was the ones we bought at N180, mortality was low. and the ones we bought at N100, within the first week, we lost over 300 birds. My suspicion is that something must be wrong from the hatching process for them to sell them that cheap.For us now, out of 3160 DOC, we are left with less than 2700 within the first week. So, it might not be a good thing to buy DOC when they are selling it cheap.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by fnk: 11:39pm On Jul 14, 2015
omotititi:
Sorry Davidzfarm18,what happened to your birds? these hactheries must be made to bear some of these losses they cause farmers. How do we enforce this? Our Governemnts do not have legal framework for such enforcement. God will help us.

I think at some point as much as we can, we will have to invest in our own hatching. For me eventually, I want to be able to mill my own feeds, and hatch my own day olds. I am not talking about large scale, but enough to feed my market, even if I can hatch 1000 DOC every 3 weeks, that will help, I will know the well being of my birds, from eggs to processing. Pricing some of this incubators they are not that expensive, So, one can invest in Parent stock, say 200 birds and raise them to lay eggs for hatching. I am still trying to understand how the hatcheries out there fix their prices, you pay today at N120, and by the time you go there to pick up your birds they can tell you that the price in now N180, and you have to pay the difference and of course some time you get there to pick up and they tell you that the price has dropped to N100, so you use your change to buy more. No one has been able to explain to me the price changes.
So, for me, I think we should be looking at that route of hatching no matter how small to add to what you buy from the commercial hatcheries.

Just my two cents.
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Abiola1016: 11:48pm On Jul 14, 2015
Please can a farmer help me out....
I need to know how much is commercial feed for layers
1) Grower
2) Layers mash
and also approximately how much would it be if I have to mill a local feed per 50kg. (I know it varies an approximate would be fine)?
How many kg would feed 1200 birds?
where can I buy a commercial feed from a reputable seller and what brand is the best quality?
Farmtech help.....
Re: Starting A Poultry Farm (a Blog) by Abiola1016: 12:03am On Jul 15, 2015
Please can a farmer help me out....
I need to know how much is commercial feed for layers
1) Grower
2) Layers mash
and also approximately how much would it be if I have to mill a local feed per 50kg. (I know it varies an approximate would be fine)?
How many kg would feed 1200 birds?
where can I buy a commercial feed from a reputable seller and what brand is the best quality?
farmtech help.....

(1) (2) (3) ... (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) ... (280) (Reply)

Hidden Truths About Catfish Business!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.